Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 4:22 pm 

Bah, that was just an excuse to post you this link, honest comments on the performance are appreciated:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzArFXSFa7U

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 5:15 pm 

:oops: Gail's gonna kick his ass.

Good to see Ike up and looking good.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 6:19 pm 

catpuke wrote:
:oops: Gail's gonna kick his ass.

Good to see Ike up and looking good.

At this point, who gives a fuck? Nice job, Ike.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:01 pm 

not very good. too slow and not very true to the original.
and I wonder if those boys from brazil even knew what the song was about...

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:05 pm 

if I was stuck in Brazil,, I'd be glad to hear this,,,,

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 4:50 am 

excellent job

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 5:49 am 

Thanks GG..

..I thopught it was pretty cool...nice little assembliage to render the FZ tunes too, nice Ruth impersonation, lol!

Good job Mr Willis, good luck :lol:

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 10:49 am 

I like it !!

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 1:05 pm 

Really enjoyed that -- thanks for posting the link!

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 2:07 am 

There is a lot of coke in So. America, need I say more. Seriously though, I didn't think it was that good and I would love to be a fly on the wall when Gail finds out. I can smell the ink on the cease and desist already

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 1:52 pm 

thejonesfactor wrote:
There is a lot of coke in So. America, need I say more. Seriously though, I didn't think it was that good and I would love to be a fly on the wall when Gail finds out. I can smell the ink on the cease and desist already

Yes indeed, but even if it is grown in the Andes, there is much more circulating in the US and Europe...

The group is probably operating 100% legally, paying their due fees within the Brazilian copyright legislation, which is fully in agreement with TRIPS.

I think the negative comments are based more on a slight prejudice of foreign cultures (i.e. other than the one you are embedded within) than on technical aspects. Whats is wrong with their performance?

BTW, honest and uninformed opinions are not necessarily the same thing. The number of bpm (beats per minute) in the cover is probably VERY close to the TTR version and certainly is religiously the same as in this video, check it for yourself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MyVgK3osVk

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 8:40 pm 

thejonesfactor wrote:

From what I've heard Gail doesn't have much of a leg to stand on. She's sued alot of people, but I haven't heard that she's won anything. From the NPR broadcast legal opinion seems to be against her. Just give it up and relax a little. Yes, I understand not wanting to be ripped off by bootleggers, but this is a totally different obsession.

Post subject: re: ike in brazil
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:50 pm 

he's working the boat shows

Post subject: Re: re: ike in brazil
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 5:50 am 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
he's working the boat shows

Can't fault him for that! :wink:

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 7:46 am 

I found the performance to be lacking a certain energy that I normally associate with that song.

I give it 3 Plooks on the Plooker Scale.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:00 am 

Plook wrote:
I found the performance to be lacking a certain energy that I normally associate with that song.

0-5 or 0-10 plooker scale?

The gig I went to had much more energy and dynamics (like during the interlude, and of course a guitar solo), that is for sure, check it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnhN9_5Ctpc

Last edited by Mr_Green_Genes on Fri May 15, 2009 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:06 am 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Plook wrote:

0-5 or 0-10 plooker scale?

0-5 3 of 5 = Above average but nothing to write home about.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:28 am 

What in gawd's name is there to complain about? Did Frank ever tour Brazil?

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 7:55 am 

Ike might be in for a very interesting life. I see a pattern forming. Eventually, there will be a plug-and-play Zappa cover band in every country. Then he can just fly in and do gigs with no rehearsal hassles, no band politics, no hustling to book gigs, he just shows up and plays the song with a band that's got that all done and is ready to go. Plus paid flights to all over the place. How sweet would that be?! The only other guy I can think of that has that going on is Chuck Berry.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 10:26 am 

swiftkicknow wrote:
Ike might be in for a very interesting life. I see a pattern forming. Eventually, there will be a plug-and-play Zappa cover band in every country. Then he can just fly in and do gigs with no rehearsal hassles, no band politics, no hustling to book gigs, he just shows up and plays the song with a band that's got that all done and is ready to go. Plus paid flights to all over the place. How sweet would that be?! The only other guy I can think of that has that going on is Chuck Berry.

I think quite a few of the older blues and country guys used to do that to keep expenses down.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 10:31 am 

I seen a doc about Gene Vincent and he came from the states over to here and the band never seen him before.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 1:56 pm 

Yes, a pickup band for basic 3-chord 12-bar-blues based music isn't a big deal to make happen, you're right. I'm sorry if the Chuck Berry reference at the end threw you off the point.

You think maybe the scenario I spelled out for Ike's case might be a little different?

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 3:17 pm 

swiftkicknow wrote:
Yes, a pickup band for basic 3-chord 12-bar-blues based music isn't a big deal to make happen, you're right. I'm sorry if the Chuck Berry reference at the end threw you off the point.

You think maybe the scenario I spelled out for Ike's case might be a little different?

Yeah, I do. A little (alot) more difficult to pull off. The homeland band would have to be a Zappa tribute band to begin with.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 4:27 pm 

Nice clip, and Ike was doing a fine job. It just give me a sort of strange feeling watching this. What is the deeper purpose? Apart from the fact that it must be a lot of fun (and I would have loved being in that band, no doubt about that!), I am wondering whether it wasn't time to move on? Maybe it was the background slide show with Frank's image popping up that made it even more, well, slightly pathetic. In a sense, we see an elderly guy trying to make a living by singing 25-30 years old songs by a man he once played with. It is a bit like having given up trying to accomplish something on your own. It is sometimes eerie to see old bands try to revive themselves, but when sidemen go on the road playing the music of those they played with, it doesn't get better. Ike has done his great, great things, and I would much prefer to watch some footage with him in Frank's band again. It is just so much better.

Then, of course, there is the thing about spreading the music of Zappa. There, I honestly think the music can live on without being played by alumni. In some future they are all gone, but the music is not and I hope it will be played. Played for its qualities, not just because someone can back up an alumni. I mean at some point it is going to be pathetic.

I hope I don't come out to negative, but it just reminded me of Yoko One singing Imagine 20 years after John's death. But Ike looked fine, and his wife was beautiful. So, it was a nice clip (and corry, MGG, but I laughed out when the host spoke English; it was just sounding so much like Borat - NO offense).

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 5:24 pm 

HJ wrote:
What is the deeper purpose?

Free travel and easier money with a minimum of effort during tough economic times versus operating a cash register or pounding nails into a roof. :wink: