Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: FOX NEWS
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 2:39 pm 

speaking of news, i read something that supposedly had little or no press coverage and i can't confirm if this is true either, so was wondering if anyone else read this as well. a discovery two weeks ago was made by us forces in iraq under baghdad airport.  30+ russian mig fighter jets were discovered buried in the sand.  its part of the case we're building against them so supposedly thats why its being kept hush hush.  any comments or other info?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 3:08 am 

yes, what i read was that they were cold era planes.  they say the case against iraq is overwhelmingly strong, and when its complete they are going to release it, but they want to make sure its complete.  i hope this is true.   i think something is brewing in our favor, there has been a lot of smokescreens it seems.  to think iraq is innocent of everything is just stupid imo, so hopefully this case will make a lot of people rethink things.  i hope.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 5:09 am 

[quote author=jimmie d link=board=general;num=1050069407;start=15#29 date=08/13/03 at 14:49:32][center]Image<br> 8)<br>[font=comic sans ms]Amazon.com has reported that sale of the book has shot through the roof since the filing of Fox's lawsuit.[/font]<br> 8)<br>Image[/center][/quote]<br><br>Here's a follow-up from our local morning newspaper:<br><br>FAIRLY UNBALANCED<br>That's how to describe Fox News Channel's goofy lawsuit against Al Franken for using its "fair and balanced" slogan to subtitle his upcoming book, "Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them: A Fair and Balanced Look at the Right."<br><br>That is, unless this whole case is just a publicity stunt.<br><br>More evidence of the bogus nature of the silly lawsuit comes from the words "unstable," "shrill," "intoxicated" and "deranged" used in the suit to describe Franken.<br><br>All that does is feed lines to the left-wing funnyman.<br><br>"As far as the personal attacks go, when I read 'intoxicated or deranged' and 'shrill and unstable' in their complaint, I thought for a moment I was a Fox commentator," he said in a statement.<br><br>Meanwhile, Franken is reaping free publicity for his new book, which doesn't even come out until next month. It hit No. 1 at www.amazon.com Wednesday morning.<br><br>"And by the way, a few months ago, I trademarked the word 'funny,' " Franken continued. "So when Fox calls me 'unfunny,' they're violating my trademark. I am seriously considering a countersuit."<br><br>

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 12:24 pm 

<br> fox news is just a big group of ignorant republican rednecks.   <br><br>  i dont like fox news.<br>    the end.  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 4:56 am 

Why just FOX news? Every "news" channel jumped on<br>flag-waving band wagon. MSBNC is just as bad as FOX.<br>CNN.....forget it. Wolf Blitzer please go away! <br>Heck....even that liberal left-winger Dan Rather jupmped<br>on the "patriotic" band wagon. <br> What I don't understand is the Republicans spewing<br>that all the media is left-wing. Geez, every news channel<br>I watched  sounded like the White House wrote the copy<br>for the broadcasters.  ::)<br> But, for blatant Republican propaganda, FOX & MSNBC lead in that dept.  It's all entertaiment in the guise of<br>news.    "Trouble Comin' Every Day" indeed!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 5:32 am 

This info from our local morning rag:<br><br>You should be able to buy Al Franken's new book today, thanks to the folks over at Fox News Channel.<br><br>They've filed a goofy lawsuit alleging that Franken's "Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them: A Fair and Balanced Look at the Right" steals the cable channel's "fair and balanced" slogan. And the case has so juiced interest in the book that it's being rushed into stores ahead of schedule.<br><br>Coincidentally, the first court proceeding in the case is scheduled for today. You're likely to see plenty of coverage on CNN and MSNBC, which are loving this one.<br><br>Fox News Channel has been brilliant over the past few years, solidifying its hold on a large audience that tunes in night after night - something that more traditional news outlets can't seem to do. And this silliness won't affect its core viewership.<br><br>But it is an embarrassment for a news organization that would like to be taken seriously outside its niche. And it's also provided oodles of free publicity for Franken.<br><br>If you believe cybergossip Matt Drudge, it was Fox News' headliner Bill O'Reilly who pushed his bosses into the lawsuit after a run-in with Franken. Top-rated O'Reilly's got the heft to get the lawyers to file what's widely expected to be a failed effort.<br><br>Meanwhile, Franken, vacationing in Italy, has laughed the whole thing off as he watched his book soar to the top of the charts at amazon.com before coming out.<br><br>Still, Franken has shown his own potential for silliness, being forced to apologize to Attorney General John Ashcroft for sending him a letter asking for anecdotes for a book on abstinence. In the letter, Franken claimed he had similar anecdotes from folks like Tommy G.Thompson and Condoleezza Rice when, in fact, he didn't.<br><br>You can find Franken's mea culpa at www.thesmokinggun.com .<br><br>

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:49 am 

Amanpour: CNN practiced self-censorship<br>CNN's top war correspondent, Christiane Amanpour, says that the press muzzled itself during the Iraq war. And, she says CNN "was intimidated" by the Bush administration and Fox News, which "put a climate of fear and self-censorship."<br><br>As criticism of the war and its aftermath intensifies, Amanpour joins a chorus of journalists and pundits who charge that the media largely toed the Bush administrationline in covering the war and, by doing so, failed to aggressively question the motives behind the invasion.<br><br>On last week's Topic A With Tina Brown on CNBC, Brown, the former Talk magazine editor, asked comedian Al Franken, former Pentagon spokeswoman Torie Clarke and Amanpour if "we in the media, as much as in the administration, drank the Kool-Aid when it came to the war."<br><br>Said Amanpour: "I think the press was muzzled, and I think the press self-muzzled. I'm sorry to say, but certainly television and, perhaps, to a certain extent, my station was intimidated by the administration and its foot soldiers at Fox News. And it did, in fact, put a climate of fear and self-censorship, in my view, in terms of the kind of broadcast work we did."<br>

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 7:20 am 

...or...<br><br>BOB SIMON, CBS NEWS "60 MINUTES II": Larry, I can't believe that it was deliberate. I refuse to believe it. But I would hasten to add that, in many parts of the world, it will be totally believed. I've just spent more than a month in the Middle East and Europe, and just coming back to the States, you feel that you're watching a different war on television, not only compared to the Middle East, where, of course, anger against the United States is rising by the day, but also in Europe, where television, even British television, is far more skeptical about what's going on, far more skeptical about American war aims, far more skeptical about the number of civilian casualties, about exactly what's happening. Here you see advancing American troops, mainly from embedded reporters. You see retired American generals. These are the dominant themes on American television. It's an entirely different picture overseas, and I'm sure that the way this war is being portrayed overseas, the idea that the Americans targeted journalists will appear far more credible than it does here.<br><br>KING: Martha Brant in Qatar for "Newsweek," would you agree with what Bob just said?<br><br>MARTHA BRANT, "NEWSWEEK": Bob is absolutely right. When I talk to my friends at home about what they're seeing on TV, it's very different from what we're seeing here, lots of images of civilians dead. And people are going to take this, conspiracy-minded as it may sound, as a direct target on Al Jazeera. Remember that Al Jazeera's offices got hit in Afghanistan, Larry, and people are going to put those two together.<br><br>It's not lost on the people here at CENTCOM. For the first time ever, they finally have some Arabic speakers that they've brought in, and they brought them out a couple hours after we got news of the attack to express condolences on Al Jazeera in Arabic. I don't know how far that went in mending things. I really -- I guess we'll have to see. But here -- it's very perplexing. Not only have they not confirmed that it was, indeed, an air strike, but every day at briefings, Larry -- behind me, I don't know if you can see these expensive plasma screens -- we have images of mosques that were avoided, schools that were avoided, in fact, a case where they were receiving fire from within a mosque and they didn't hit the mosque, to preserve this historic structure.<br><br>So it's confusing why, if they can do it in those instances, they weren't able to do it at the Palestine Hotel or, indeed, Al Jazeera, which as Omar says, was well marked.<br><br>KING: Christiane Amanpour will be leaving us in a couple minutes, at the bottom of the hour, so I want to check on the point that Bob Simon made because you hopscotch the region. Is he right? Is there -- do you see it differently -- do they see it differently in Europe and the Middle East than they see it in the United States?<br><br>AMANPOUR: Well, I think, absolutely, and he pretty much summed it up perfectly. It is like two different wars. And you've heard Martha talk about it, as well. Watching it and seeing the television coverage from this region is just a completely different story. And I was also in Europe last week, and again the same thing.<br><br>You know, it's a different situation because in America, as you know, you're watching our air in the United States, it is almost entirely, if not entirely, from the perspective of the embedded reporters. And there's very little civilian damage shown. There's very little -- where are all these Iraqis who have been killed or surrendered or whatever? In other words, there's very little of the other side that comes across on the current American coverage.<br><br>

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:35 pm 

i would rather watch family guy which is on a fox tv station, howerver i hate the news it's all depressing and boring. ALL news agecies are bias with a political agenda. i'm no liberal or conservative but i have to say kent brockman is a hell of a news anchor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:46 am 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:46 am 

Just for instance, Have you been watching what is going on in Nevada, with the Bundy ranch situation? The ONLY news source on scene is fox, just sayin.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:43 am 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
Just for instance, Have you been watching what is going on in Nevada, with the Bundy ranch situation? The ONLY news source on scene is fox, just sayin.

What are you sayin'? Please - elaborate.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:23 am 

If you can't read I can't help you

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:29 am 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
If you can't read I can't help you

If you're going to be juvenile about it, I can't understand you. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:19 am 

Snivel about it

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:38 am 

It's just another excuse for Right Wing extremist militia members to act like terrorists. It's just a matter of time before this situation creates the next Timothy McVeigh type. That's what the NRA, Republicans, the Klan, the Tea party and the owners of Fox News want. It's a ploy to start a Civil war, because the last election didn't go in their favor and Republicans are poised to lose seats this Fall.

I haven't really been following this story, but from the commentary I've been reading on social media, the same people who ultimately used Waco as an excuse to park a truck full of fertilizer bomb material in front of a daycare full of children in Oklahoma are using this situation where a guy owes money to motivate their militia buddies into acts of Right Wing domestic terrorism. The NRA and gun industry are seeing dollar signs right about now.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next