Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:13 am 

[quote author=slime.oofytv.set link=board=general;num=1108412950;start=0#11 date=02/14/05 at 21:06:38]<br>nobody's forced to spend $$ at w-mart, but they do; if people were seriously anti-walmart, they'd keep shopping at the mom & pop shops & put w-mart out of biz<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>Cracks me up, Americans drive their foreign SUV's(with yellow ribbons), to Wall Mart to buy Chinese goods...and they bitch that their jobs are getting outsourced.<br><br>Seems TV also has a big part in this. Whatever happened to "buy American?" Dangerous to say this on TV cuz they'll piss off the foreign sponsors, so "buy American" is also gone from the public's mind.<br><br>TV shows us things that are bad for us, and they become our "standard:"<br><br>1. SUV's in pristine mountains, when only 5% go off road and buying a car would dump 60 ton's less carbon dioxide into the atmosphere, ...then we bitch about global warming.<br><br>2. Strong looking Suv's which roll over 3-4 times more than cars with a 37% death rate compared to a car's 15% from rollover. People buy 'em cuz the ad's and designing make them "look safe", (they're also exempt from side impact standards, and have a 4 to thirty something greater chance of killing the car occupants they hit, (depending on the manner of impact)).<br><br>3. Fully one quarter of the gasoline that comes through the Gulf of Mexico region is just to make up for the post 9/11 shift from cars to light trucks. There was a 40% SUV sales jump in the first year after 9/11, causing the nat'l mpg average to go backwards by 10% (22 to 20 mpg). We bitch about fuel prices and record profits for oil companies(10% demand increase), yet we keep doing what the ad's tell us to. The light truck ad's of course multiply on TV and never mention pollution, nor the incresased demand on fuel...We bitch and buy.<br><br>4. Lol, "Looking tough" is not a good reason to dump an extra 60 tons of CO2 into the air, note they show the "weakling family" in a normal car: "Ford Trucks Make You Tough,".<br><br>5. Money for TV ad's define the stewards of the rich as the only credible political candidates. Money runs two corporatly financed, pro PATRIOT Act, pro outsourcing, pro war bastards and 95% of the people are powerless in the face of the half billion dollar advertizing  campaign ...while they bitch about the very things they voted for. All the while the top 100 corporations increase their grip on control.<br><br>5. And finally, how many Wal Mart ads do we see on the boob tube?<br><br> It will come to an end if we vote corporate in 06 and 08 and the baby boomers retire.<br><br>Whether it's shopping at Wal Mart or voting for one's own demise, stupid is as stupid does.<br><br>"Ya know I watched that rotten box until my head begin to hurt."<br>

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:00 am 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:19 am 

[quote author=Billy link=board=general;num=1108412950;start=15#19 date=02/15/05 at 09:29:57]We have a Walmart close by. Since it's opened, many of the local businesses have either closed down or moved, including (this past year) the only good record store in this area and a grocery store. (There may be more, but I can't remember.) There are other grocery stores around, but what are you going to do if you want to buy clothes/electronics/etc. and you don't have either the means to shop online or a way to drive an hour away to find a store that isn't Walmart? That's one MAJOR thing that sucks about living in a small town.[/quote]<br><br>You are referring to Sam Walton's " Backward Expansion Strategy". We spent a great deal of time in my senior level business school class Strategies, Formulation and Implementation studying it. Back in 1989 we were still marvelling at Sam's brainchild of an idea to position his stores purposely, at least 30 miles from his competition. At the time, KMart was the only other superstore.  Like it or not, people want to be able to buy goods and services at a cheaper price than what the local grocery chain or hardware store had to offer so they drove the extra miles to shop cuz gas was cheap back then. Today, you don't have to go that far to find a WalMart. They used to only put them in the small towns, now they are everyfuckingwhere. Hell, Target uses the same concept, they just have cooler advertisements to lure younger, hipper customers.<br>

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:41 am 

Wal-mart is just like fucking cancer.<br><br>As soon at it sets in, it kills all other businesses around it.<br><br>

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:58 am 

October 18, 2004 protest against the construction of a Wal-Mart store near Mexico's Teotihuacan archeological ruins. The construction of the Wal-Mart owned Aurrera hypermarket near the pre-hispanic ruins at Teotihuacan have attracted protest from groups who oppose such a large commercial center so near to such an archaeological treasure.<br><br>he ancient ruins of Teotihuacan today to protest the construction of a Wal-Mart-owned store nearby. <br><br>The 2,000-year-old ruins, in a valley 25 miles (40 kilometers) northeast of downtown Mexico City, were built by a little-known culture whose very name has been lost, and were abandoned hundreds of years before the Spaniards arrived. <br><br>Construction of the store, which will bear the name of a Mexican subsidiary of Wal-Mart Stores Inc., is nearing completion. The site can be seen from the top of Teotihuacan's major pyramids, but so can other commercial developments built in the community nearby.<br><br>Opponents appear to have exhausted legal challenges to the store, but that hasn't slowed the campaign against it. On Thursday, prominent Mexican writers and artists sent an open letter to President Vicente Fox asking him to intervene and stop the store's construction. <br><br>They did not object to having such a store in the area, but said it should be built further from the spectacular ruins and world treasure<br><br>In earlier years, Mexico also has seen campaigns to ease development at other notable sites such as the Mayan ruins of Tulum and remains of the pre-Teotihuacan culture of Cuicuilco in Mexico City.<br><br><br>anyway, there's the fucking wal-mart, archaeologists inspectors always have a price, same as politicians and those wal-mart owners have a lot of money ready to corrupt anyone who's against their "very important bussines" and for those who doesn't want to be corrupted there's alway the old good way of physical damage, to them or any in their family, so<br><br><br>Earlier this month, the State of Mexico and the Paris-based International Council on Monuments and Sites said they had determined that the store would cause no damage. It will be almost a mile (1.6 kilometers) from the ancient pyramids. <br><br>The council -- an oversight body which helps monitor U.N. World Heritage Sites -- said measures already taken meant that the store wouldn't ruin the view from the top of the pyramids. <br><br>Archaeologists said that so far, only minor cultural remains have been found at the store site (do me the fucking favor, there are cultural remains, but very few, so it doesn't matter  ::)). <br><br>seems like everybody and everything's got a price, it doesn't matter<br>if in the long run they destroy the history, they already have a new one writen, where they are the heros and gods of the universe, they've been<br>teaching it all over for the last 60 years, built in hoolywood, with elizabeth taylor as cleopatra and arnold shwaseniger as the king of the world......and there are very stupid people who believe it

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:18 pm 

Wal-Mart = Terrorism

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:11 am 

http://www.walmartmovie.com/about.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:07 am 

We're gettin' the triple whammy...WalMart want's to abandon their regular (huge) store and build a new SUPERCENTER WalMart here, overlapping into a protected wetlands zone, AND (get this), right next to and up a hill from our town reservoir. Based on the traffic to the regular WalMart we suffer under now (a few miles away), traffic to the new supercenter next to the reservoir is conservatively estimated to see over a million cars a year, creating a major runoff pollution problem for our town's water supply...once it's polluted, it's game over, (I asked at the hearing last night if we could buy bottled warter in the supercenter, lol).

So in a nutshell, we're going to over-run a wetlands area AND pollute the town's water supply...so we can have a bigger WallMart.

The DEP did approve the plans, several enviormental experts scoffed the DEP's approval for the plans ad they contained grossly misleading info, AND ommitted other important info (gee, not this tactic again). They made a change to part of the plan and were trying to get the wetlands board to approve the change last night, (small victory, we stopped them for the time being), as it became clear that to approve the change meant in truth, approval of the whole plan, (sorta a WalMart bait-and-switch). Most of the towns people were too smart for that shit but the chairman kept trying to get the townspeople to shut up about the wetlands and reservoir, and instead limit the discussion to just the changes in the plan. Interestingly enough, the proposed change also pollutes the water supply so even limiting the discussion to the proposed changes yeilds the same result. The chairman had his hands full trying to keep the angry townspeople quiet, but in the end we were able to cancel the walMarts hopes of getting their bait and switch approved last night, and the overall permit may now be reviewed and totally rejected, (that's what we want).

The people won last night. Next meeting May 14 where an independent enviormental analysis will be called in.

Amazing to see the ruthlessness of the WalMart lawyers. There's a lot of money to be made if they can get permission to ruin the wetlands and pollute our reservoir.

BTW, it's the reservoir I often post bike riding pictures of in the "What are you listening to now" thread...let's have a WalMart SUPERCENTER instead of this...

There's a ton of money involved and WalMart has been fighting hard...but in this case, it's not going too well for them...so far.

WALMART DRAWS A CROWD_BUT NOT TO SHOP

THE HIGH COST OF LOW PRICES

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:41 am 

I haven't set foot in a Wal-Mart for over 3 years and I never will again. Target for life, baby.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:54 am 

I have never shopped at Wal-Mart

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:57 am 

I'm an employment attorney.

I have sued Wal-Mart.

Several times.

Got some good results too.

Makes no difference, but getting their money was more satisfying than most.

In short, fuck them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:04 am 

Don't let them get it baddy!!!

Mrs Green was just telling me about the same kind of situation here, how they prepare the "studies" and environmental impact reports (as applied to Hidro-power, mining, etc)!...

Candid Camera: Trove of Videos Vexes Wal-Mart

Producer Peddles Clips
To Lawyers and Unions;
Mrs. Clinton on Stage

By GARY MCWILLIAMS
April 9, 2008; Page A1

LENEXA, Kan. -- For nearly 30 years, Wal-Mart Stores Inc. employed a video-production company here to capture footage of its top executives, sometimes in unguarded moments. Two years ago, the retailing giant stopped using the tiny company.

At first, the decision threw Flagler Productions Inc. into a panic. Now it's Wal-Mart that's squirming.

In recent months, Flagler has opened its trove of some 15,000 Wal-Mart tapes to the outside world, with an eye toward selling clips. The material is proving irresistible to everyone from business historians and documentary filmmakers to plaintiffs lawyers and union organizers. (...)

The Wallstreet Journal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:12 am 

http://www.teamster.org/06news/hn_060101_1.htm

It's up on appeal and it will be some time before this is decided, but based upon some limited knowledge I have about the case from plaintiff's counsel, I think Wal-Mart is pretty well fucked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:15 am 

ImageImageImageImage

The Black Page Part 2 wrote:
getting their money was more satisfying than most.

ImageImageImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:20 am 

And the hits keep coming here at Radio F U C K Walmart:

http://www.walmartpaclassaction.com/case.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:25 am 

It was pretty cool Mr. Green Genes, EVERY chair was full, standing room only:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:28 am 

Here is a fact about wall mart, they are the third largest contributor of money to charities in the world, check it out, more than a couple bucks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:31 am 

The Black Page Part 2 wrote:
And the hits keep coming here at Radio F U C K Walmart:

Back to back hits at WFUK :)
http://www.workdayminnesota.org/index.php?article_1_113

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:54 am 

I have a Wal-Mart across the road from me. I shop there almost weekly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:02 am 

Wow Doug... Really? Me Too!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:08 am 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
Wow Doug... Really? Me Too!!

Yup! It used to be a Woolworth's, then a Woolco, and now a Wal-Mart.
Much too convienient/cheap for me to abandon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:42 am 

just plain doug wrote:
Much too convienient/cheap for me to abandon.

The low cost comes from child labor and slave-like jobs... :roll:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next