Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:25 pm 

Back in the old days (1981), I searched and searched for ANYTHING about the dude after FZ mentioned him on TTR: Nothing. :x

Then FeralCats mentioned him in a post so I started searching again using the newly invented Internet: Something! :mrgreen:

Frank discusses him briefly in an interview:

DM: What is Conlon Nancarrow doing these days?
I think he had a heart attack recently. He still lives in Mexico City. He's another example of a guy who couldn't earn a living in the United States. He was being ignored, so he moved to Mexico, and punched his [player Piano] rolls down there. It was cheaper for him to live in Mexico City.

From The Mother of All Imterviews from here: http://home.online.no/~corneliu/interviews.htm

Amazon has some records with sound samples if'n yer curious.

Imona get me some.

vcf

This link to biographical information still works:

http://home.earthlink.net/~kgann/cnlife.html

I believe one of the fellars was from Arkansas. :lol:

This Internet thing's gonna be BIG. :wink:

Mas: http://www.kylegann.com/index2.html

Revel in your otherness. MK

STILL pissed at Tipper. VCF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:00 am 

Conlon Nancarrow is a genius, he really is. His music is ridiculously complex and avant-garde, but is filled with alot of warmth. (Sorta like Zappa, in that regard.)

I'd really, honestly, reccomend getting the disc of him on Naxos before plunging into the Player Piano stuff full throttle. It's easier to get into, just as entertaining, and there are alot of pieces on there that don't appear on the boxset (In fact, only two do appear twice, and on this disc they're performed live..'Tango' and 'Study No. 15'). It's really good stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:06 am 

Yes I know some if Nancarrow's music too and I think it's great!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:46 am 

FeralCats wrote:
I'd really, honestly, reccomend getting the disc of him on Naxos before plunging into the Player Piano stuff full throttle. It's easier to get into, just as entertaining, and there are alot of pieces on there that don't appear on the boxset (In fact, only two do appear twice, and on this disc they're performed live..'Tango' and 'Study No. 15'). It's really good stuff.

Cool; that one's only $9 at Amazon. :shock: Thanx. 8)

vcf

Revel in your otherness. MK

STILL pissed at Tipper. VCF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:01 pm 

Nancarrow is a towering giant of modern music and one simply must secure his work -- first & foremost the player piano stuff. Believe it or knockwurst, and quite reminiscent of mad dog Zappa completism, one can pick between different releases of the exact same piano rolls and they do, in fact, sound (marginally) different. Ask FZ, it's all in the microphone placement, eh? That's all I gots t' say except now I'm wondering if anone else is familiar w/the work of Francois Bayle? He sampled (before it was ever called that, in a musique concrete fashion) Zappa into a piece 'round 1970. I don't have the album handy or else I'd be more specific. Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:10 pm 

I'll look into this Bayle guy, but has anyone heard of James Tenney..? He's a composer who passed away fairly recently. I only got some of his works on the day he died, he's a genius. I own quite a few of his tape pieces, which are all fantastic (Among them is 'Phases' for Edgar Varese). John Cage once said of him- "If there was one composer I'd study under if I was just starting, it would be Tenney'".

Look him up, people. He's really good times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:11 pm 

http://www.analogartsensemble.net/2006/ ... -1969.html

mp3 don't work unfortunately..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:17 am 

timm0 wrote:
http://www.analogartsensemble.net/2006/07/franois-bayle-solitioude-1969.html

mp3 don't work unfortunately..

No, I don't think that's the one. I myself do not hear FZ in that piece.
However, I defnitely do on the section labeled "journal" from the piece "Le Langage Des Fleurs." It's on the "L'Experience Acoustique" double cd on the INA/GRM/Magison label. Early works by Bayle, he had not yet developed/perfected his signature sound and so not the best place to start. He's the best of the concrete crew, imho. Very well documented on cd. All the current electronic/sound sculpture arteests pale in comparison.

As for James Tenny, yep, well worth checking out. I gots 4cd's, and they are all enjoyable. Try out "Works for Percussion" on the hat Art label. As Varese = Mad Scientist, Tenney has additional appeal as he looks like a bar fixture with nice hair. Cage probably had the hots for him...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:43 am 

Hahaha :D

Tenney's tape works are fantastic-I mention him specifically because of his piece for Player Piano, "Spectral CANON for CONLON Nancarrow". I've heard great things about one of his pieces..'Having Never Written a Note For Percussion'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:55 am 

FeralCats wrote:
Hahaha :D

Tenney's tape works are fantastic-I mention him specifically because of his piece for Player Piano, "Spectral CANON for CONLON Nancarrow". I've heard great things about one of his pieces..'Having Never Written a Note For Percussion'.

ya, thanks for inspiring me to re-listen/think about Tenney. I have a "Selected Works" album w/a player piano piece (not the one above) as it was composed prior to his awareness of CN. Even so, Tenney was an early champion of CN's work -- apparently wrote a treatise that generated much interest. If ya find a link to that, let me know.
On a typographical front, the ZFT misspelled Conlon as Conlan in the MOFO booklet-- but somehow spelled Whoopi Goldberg's name without error. There is no justice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:10 pm 

Oh, I've heard that piece. It's pretty good.
I used to have a copy of that paper, either in some sort of book or a PDF file..I'll take a look. I personally read it after reading the writing Kyle Gann di on Nancarrow, and I thought Gann's paper was much better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:55 am 

FeralCats wrote:
I'll look into this Bayle guy, but has anyone heard of James Tenney..?

Ha! At least I've found someone who knows this great composer. One of my favorites. I have The Solo Works for Percussion by Matthias Kaul on Hat Art, Melody, Ergodicity and Indterminacy on Mode Records. And I recently bought Forms 1-4 on eBay, I'm looking forward to it.

(Goodness, I haven't been posting here for years :shock: )

Post subject: Re: Conlon Nancarrow
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:04 pm 

To bump or not to bump this ancient thread.....

Nancarrow is one of my favorite composers (I have a few though).

Also I hear that Gyorgy Ligeti and Frank himself where also fans of his work :mrgreen: :smoke: