Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:56 am 

Hi all, been too busy to post much lately, but I got this new DT release last week and it's SOOOO different from anything else he's done before, I thought it deserved a heads up, (not thatthe other stuff is "less good," I like all my DT albums).

You know you're gonna get top quality from Mr. Townsend, and that's still true...but this one is a total departure from anything he's done before. It's mostly very mellow and smooth, a lot of blusie sounding stuff. Although it's a lot of gentle acoustic leaning material, it does contrast in some short metallic peaks every 10 or 15 minutes or so.

But anyways, one for the DT fans, check out the samples, this one's very different from anything he's done before. Another breakthrough album for Devin 8)

Thought some might like to know about it...

SAMPLES

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:54 am 

Good stuff !
Thanks Baddy

Good to see ya still hanging in there :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:33 am 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEU8NfbOIFg

Devin Townsend on Empath, Mental Health, The Muppets, Frank Zappa & More

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:40 am 

Thanks, I’ll watch this when I get a chance. I said in another thread that Devin was an artist I’ve had a hard time getting into even though I’ve tried several times over the years. A lot of people are gushing over the Empath album including a lot of musicians that I like. Plus Keneally and Vai are on the album so I thought I’d give it a try. After a couple of listens I’m somewhat intrigued but still not there. I want to give it multiple listens though to give it a chance to grow on me. My mind’s always been open to Devin but he just hasn’t crawled in yet. Maybe this will be the time. Baddy - if you could recommend one Devin Blu-ray or dvd concert what would it be? I see there are a few out there.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:12 am 

I think there are two DVD's available (Ziltoid and Retinal), and for a newbie I definitely wouldn't recommend either of those Albums, therefore not the DVD's either. If you've seen other DVD's of the CD's I'm about to mention, go for it :)

It's interesting, people often say they like the earlier albums from a band and not the later and sure it can be from an outstanding and original band selling out, (DreamTheater)...

...but I wonder if there's another force at play:

Maybe it's the first albums one hears from a group that are the most fun because they sound so new, it's fun growing new engrams...then later they sound like more of the same.

That's certainly true for me, I loved the first two Nonpoint and Chevelle albums (plus Norma DVD), played the living hell out of them, and then the rest of Nonpoint, well, quality equal to the firsts, but the thrill was gone...(Chevelle held me a little better, but it's only much later they're winning me back).

Devin Townsend is working out of me that way...super albums later, but I go for the earlier ones...

So I'll answer with my favorite Devin Townsends...

The album I would recommend to a new comer is Ki, I'd say just go out and buy it and sit down with a beer and headphones when you'll have no distractions, and listen to it in one shot.

One shot is very important on this one because it's not only a concept album, but it's all over the map and the songs need to run into each other because for example a song may start light guitar solo and build to crashing metal, and then suddenly wham, instantly to light guitar solo into the next song.

All over the map is a good reason to recommend this to a newcomer because they get to hear a whole dynamic range of what the band can do, (btw, Jefferson Airplane drummer). It's a little like swells and ebbs in the ocean, in a boat a mile off shore... the building to peaks can be within a song, song-to-next song, and it's overall on the album.

Devin kinds lost me after the Addicted album, the exception being disk 2 of Ghost. Maybe because the earlier albums were the first ones I heard...but other favorites:

Ocean Machine... This album is second to me to Ki.

Synchestra - a really cool concept album with it's own unique sound and flavor(: Not a first album though because the band doesn't usually sound like this.

Accelerated Evolution, the 2 CD version if possible - If you want a really hard rocker that's a ton of fun :)

Infinity - This is a softer album and high on my list.

PS...There are youTubes on Ki, but I would recommend not to look at them until you've heard the album. This because the sound quality is down and their are ads and buffering between the songs which destroy the important song to song dynamic jumps, they are quite sudden on the album...kinda like getting rear ended at a traffic light, lol. It's really fun to switch from a crashing metal peak to instant, almost acoustic sounding gentle fingerpicking...plus youTube is visual which is heavy distraction from the sonic. But after one loves Ki, the videos are fun(:

Last edited by baddy on Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:28 am 

Thanks for the recommendations, baddy.