Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 538 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Beatles
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 2:29 pm 

Sure, there were bands doing all kind of music in the Beatles era. All in their own kingdom. Some liked Jazz. Some liked R&B. Some liked Country. Some liked Opera. Some liked Classical. Some liked Blues. Some liked Twist. Some liked Surf Music. Some like Crooners. Some liked Film Soundtracks. Some liked Broadway. <br><br>But I can't honestly see which band could have drawn that much attention. They became a focus point for a large enough portion of the new generation, and I think, at a time when it was much needed. Like it or not, youths all over the world kind of unite in the same wavelength. In my sense, it 'saved' rock from being a 'second-hand' music at a time when we had to deal with sugar-coated-parent-approved-harmless-teen-music. Young Power. And that changed the world forever. <br><br>From that point, things began to roll in a spectacular fashion for ALL bands. At least, the ones that were good enough. The number of bands that emerged after that, even here in Québec, is impressive. I know some and they told me that they formed a band because of the Beatles.<br><br>Maybe something would have happened anyway, but, maybe not, and maybe not at that scale. I'm glad the things turned out that way, at that time when I was a Teen, otherwise, I may have never been into playing guitar, and I would have not lived through some very fond moments in my life.<br><br>I'd like to do a survey to know the average age of those who hates the Beatles and those who likes them.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 2:33 pm 

[quote author=Mij link=board=general;num=1058088291;start=75#85 date=07/16/03 at 17:29:21]<br>I'd like to do a survey to know the average age of those who hates the Beatles and those who likes them.[/quote]<br><br>Well I fuckin' love 'em.....me aged 33  :)<br>

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 2:40 pm 

[quote author=Mr. Confusion link=board=general;num=1058088291;start=75#87 date=07/16/03 at 17:37:13]<br><br>That doesn't make me a bad person, does it? <br><br>[/quote]<br><br>Course it don't !!   ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 5:47 pm 

When I'm in the mood for a good healthy dose of smartly crafted hook-laden pop music, I frequently turn to the Beatles for catchymelodic gratification.  My faves are Magical Mystery Tour, Sgt. Peppers, The White Person Album, and Abbey Road ( a cutout MMT was one of the firstest albums I ever ownded). Strawberry Fields Forever with a BULLET! <br><br>Oh ye doubters, please listen to Paperback Writer, Penny Lane, or We Can Work It Out and try not to hum along. Go ahead. I dare you.

>You don't.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 5:51 pm 

The progrssion to "Something" is genius!<br>                                      

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 6:08 pm 

My older brothers were Beatles fans, so I don't know a world without The Beatles' music. I've listened to them my entire life.<br>I have favorites from their early, middle, and late periods.<br>No deep analysis here; I've just always thought they sound good. <br>Quite a number of Beatles songs fall right into my voice range, so I've made solo arrangements of TONS of songs by them. When I strip their stuff down to one guitar and voice, the songs still hold up. If I want to do duo or full band versions, that works out great, too. Great music.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 5:47 am 

Thanks Lumpy! That tape loop info is very interesting. I'll have to check that book out.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 8:04 am 

[quote author=Arkay link=board=general;num=1058088291;start=90#98 date=07/17/03 at 10:45:05]... http://www.girlyshoes.com/Rant_2.html<br>[/quote]<br><br>LOL -  move over Dennis Miller!<br> ;D<br><br>The whole site is pretty damn funny...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 8:19 am 

My favourite Beatle has always been George.<br> Of all the post-beatle solo stuff, I prefer mostly his.<br><br>This has got to be the collection of the best songs ever:<br><br>Image<br><br>I still remember the moment I heard that George Harrison had died. After that I had a real emotional moment while listening to "Here Comes the Sun".

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 8:43 am 

[quote author=jaypfunk link=board=general;num=1058088291;start=60#66 date=07/15/03 at 17:20:08]<br><br> "The Beatles Fucking Suck Big Horse Dick man!!!!" ;D ;)[/quote]<br><br>So what are yer saying...you like 'em or not ?<br><br>

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 9:13 am 
Banned

[quote author=Mr. Confusion link=board=general;num=1058088291;start=75#87 date=07/16/03 at 17:37:13]<br><br>That doesn't make me a bad person, does it? <br>[/quote]<br> <br><br>Yes, yes it does you evil fucking Beatle hater you!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 9:15 am 
Banned

[quote author=Baby Snake link=board=general;num=1058088291;start=90#101 date=07/17/03 at 11:43:44]<br><br>So what are yer saying...you like 'em or not ?<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>Uh... that would be a big fucking fat NO, Bob!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 9:27 am 

[quote author=jaypfunk link=board=general;num=1058088291;start=90#103 date=07/17/03 at 12:15:21]<br><br>Uh... that would be a big fucking fat NO, Bob![/quote]<br><br>Well I'm glad you've cleared that one up. I was a bit confused as to whether "The Beatles suck horses cock"(or whatever you put) meant you thought they were ok. Now I know you don't like 'em.<br>

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 9:40 am 
Banned

[quote author=Baby Snake link=board=general;num=1058088291;start=90#104 date=07/17/03 at 12:27:09]<br><br>Well I'm glad you've cleared that one up. I was a bit confused as to whether "The Beatles suck horses cock"(or whatever you put) meant you thought they were ok. Now I know you don't like 'em.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Glad to be of service "Small Dick"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 10:03 am 

[quote author=Mr. Confusion link=board=general;num=1058088291;start=75#82 date=07/16/03 at 16:05:42]<br>Oh, and my parents hate the Beatles as well. Dad's a country music fan and my Mom doesn't really care for music much accept for maybe Celine Dion. I remember asking them about them once and they said collectively, "The Beatles? Whoopee Shit!" I'm dead serious about that.[/quote]<br><br>This reminded me of a story (thats got nothing to do with the Beatles, BTW). When Sheik Yerbouti first came out I was living at home and was playing it constantly. So this one time, I'm in my bedroom and popped it on and cranked up the volume louder than usual. Towards the end of "Flakes", I happened to open my door for some reason and there were my parents standing outside my door and laughing their asses off. They said they had been listening since "I Have Been In You" and were now cracking up at the "I'm a moron" section of Flakes, and at Adrian's Dylan imitation.  I'll never forget that. One of my very very few parent/son Zappa moments. <br><br>Despite this however, I still made sure I lowered the volume during "Broken Hearts Are For Assholes"...that definitely woulda been crossing the line.<br><br>

>You don't.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 10:32 am 

[quote author=Arkay link=board=general;num=1058088291;start=105#107 date=07/17/03 at 13:17:41]<br><br>I crossed that line once.  I was about 17 and one of my sisters had freinds over so I thought I'd crank the tunes and stay in my room.  I didn't notice my Dad come home as I went to the kitchen for a snack.  Just then the "ram it" portion kicked in.  He rolled his eyes and gave me a few words along the lines of "your Mother better not hear any of that!" type stuff![/quote]<br><br>Hey, one time I was hanging out in my back yard having a few beers with one of my best buddies and when the "ram it" part of the song came on he turned to me and asked me to lower the volume. I looked at him curiously and said, "Why? No one can hear it." He shot a dirty look back at me and said, "I can hear it!"<br><br>Oh, the pain and loneliness of being a Zappa freak...thats why we gotta stick together...<br><br>(Sorry to go off subject again)<br>

>You don't.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 10:49 am 

[quote author=jaypfunk link=board=general;num=1058088291;start=105#105 date=07/17/03 at 12:40:36]<br><br>Glad to be of service "Small Dick"[/quote]<br><br>The pleasure was all mine, thanks again "Jay-lo"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 11:47 am 

Allegedly "Let It Be" is being de-Spectorized and will be re-released. It'll be interesting to hear it "stripped down"...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 538 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 22  Next