Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 540 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Beatles
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 6:23 am 

[quote author=LumpyGravy link=board=general;num=1058088291;start=45#50 date=07/15/03 at 09:17:46]Sorry guys, I'm not going to waste my time on you...  ;)<br>It's not worth it. You've made up your minds already, anyway...<br>[/quote]<br><br> ;)<br><br>well, i was kinda serious when i wanted to explore the influence of the beatles - does it go any further than popmusic. caus I really don't have a clue on that - i don't know shit about. <br><br>so my question was sincere - although, indeed, i don't really care for the beatles indeed, some very nice tunes and all, but that's about it in my book...<br><br>so if anyone wants to elaborate, please do. <br>

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 7:02 am 

[quote author=bb link=board=general;num=1058088291;start=45#51 date=07/15/03 at 09:23:17]<br><br>well, i was kinda serious when i wanted to explore the influence of the beatles - does it go any further than popmusic. ... so if anyone wants to elaborate, please do. <br>[/quote]<br><br>George Harrison introduced me (and a lot of other people)  to Ravi Shankar and the fact that the world is full of "other" type/styles of music.<br>

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 12:13 pm 

[quote author=Arkay link=board=general;num=1058088291;start=45#58 date=07/15/03 at 12:09:12]<br>I think I've heard enough of Paul to know that he added little more than color.  Feel free to stand up for Paul, but IMO, he is more transparent every day.  Paul was the poser, John was the substance, I'll leave George and Ringo for another time.  I think Paul was necessary on in the fact that he had the talent and capability to musically partner with someone and create such excellent results.<br>So, as I started with, I didn't give you a concrete answer, I can't.  I just tried to give you my opinion on it.[/quote]<br><br>Most people pick Lennon when it comes to choosing who was the force behind the Beatles. Of coarse as a band they were all important but Lennon & McCartney were the main factory of music output.<br><br>Contrary to common belief, the writing credit 'LENNON & MCCARTNEY' which appears on all their songs was just a legal agreement. Sure, in the early days John & Paul wrote together but overall they wrote apart. <br>As a general rule, whoever sang the lead was the composer of the song.<br><br>I always used to think Lennon was the main force but having been listening to the Beatles and Paul's post Beatle works over the last year I really think Paul deserves much more credit than the title of 'The Beatle your mum loves'.<br><br>From the mid to late career of the beatles Paul was much more dominant. Take SGT Pepper for example. The whole concept of the album was Pauls idea. He wrote so many of the Beatles best songs.<br><br>Listing to his post Beatles music 'Band On The Run' you can really hear the beatles sound in there.<br><br>Paul was the real musician in the Beatles. He loved all the different ideas, different instrumentation, all the tape effects.<br><br>Lennon was a hero but McCartney was always trying to push the music forward. That's just my observation from listening to the music.<br>Either way, it's great stuff and I love some of Harrisons songs too.<br>

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 12:36 pm 

Curiously, the ones that don't like the Beatles are not very old, in average.<br><br>You had to be there to fully understand what was going at the time. Before The Beatles, it was dullcity. The most excitement you could get was from the Beach Boys and the likes. Not that I don't dig them but there's a world between Beatles and Beach Boys. <br><br>Rock'n'roll was mostly dead. Elvis came from the army and didn't want to sing rock anymore. Buddy Holly was dead. Jerry Lee Lewis was in disgrace. Chuck Berry was a black man and you know what it meant in those ages. What was the groove back then ? Ballads like 'Oh Carol'. You get the point ? DULLCITY. Americans had a gem in their own backyard but they let it go. And nobody seemed to be able to generate something exciting. Then came the Beatles.<br><br>Yep, You had to be there. Otherwise, you're only comparing the Beatles to what you're hearing right now, and, in my opinion, that's not fair. Beatles were the blueprint for many things that wouldn't have been done otherwise. May it be Britney Spears (yawn...) or Prog Rock and crafted songs à la XTC. <br><br>If not for the Beatles, maybe we would be posting on a Neil Sedaka forum. CAN YOU PICTURE THAT ?   ;D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 2:20 pm 
Banned

[quote author=Mr. Confusion link=board=general;num=1058088291;start=60#65 date=07/15/03 at 16:55:59]just had to pipe in here....the "if they weren't here then we wouldn't have..." angle is always a favorite. I think if the Beatles never existed we still woulda had all the songwriters and artists who came along afterward or were growing DURING the Beatles uproar. It all would have happened regardless perhaps in a different manor. Hendrix? Zappa? James Brown? Neil Young? Stones?  Dylan? Little Richard? Miles with jazz-rock? Johnny Guitar Watson? Garage bands? Beach Boys?  Country music? In fact all that AMERICAN jazz music period? Electric guitar inventors Leo Fender & Les Paul would have been successful etc etc etc<br><br>All these 'British' bands were emulating their AMERICAN black blues heroes to a certain degree anyway. The stuff would have happened or evolved anyway...i firmly believe that, to suggest that the Beatles are the 'root' of *it* ALL is just preposterous to me, another media or historical fabrication if you will...even my mom grew up during that time period and said that she never liked the Beatles she preferred her Italian favorites and Paul Anka. It's all blown outta proportion.[/quote]<br><br>Well put and right fucking on man!!! I would have just came out with something like this again....<br> "The Beatles Fucking Suck Big Horse Dick man!!!!" ;D ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 2:31 pm 

The Beatles were great. I loved 'em.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 3:58 pm 

[quote author=Mr. Confusion link=board=general;num=1058088291;start=60#65 date=07/15/03 at 16:55:59]I think if the Beatles never existed we still woulda had all the songwriters and artists who came along afterward or were growing DURING the Beatles uproar. [/quote]<br><br>A lot of famous artists that came DURING or AFTER the Beatles would have opted for a different direction. Dylan, for one, swith to electric, and I guess in a way, he saw what he could achieve based on what the Beatles did. <br><br>Instead of emulating the Beatles, a lot would have emulated others of that period. Extrapolate what would have been the future of music if we got stuck to that period. Frightening.<br><br>The Beatles served as a living example that a band could work and live well. It surely did inspire a lot of youngsters to form bands and write their own stuff. And, from there, music evolved in many directions. <br><br>Some may not like the Beatles and I don't argue for that. They have the right to. But they were influentual, no doubt about it. And I don't see who, at that time, could have united the teens worldwide like they did. Thus, starting a revolution of its own.<br><br>The real question is where would we be without them ? Rock would probably be dead and gone.  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 4:03 pm 

[quote author=Mr. Confusion link=board=general;num=1058088291;start=60#71 date=07/15/03 at 19:00:15]<br><br>?<br>[/quote]<br><br>Who could have revived the rock at that time ? Name somes. For my part, I don't see.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 4:36 pm 

I try not to worry about such things. It takes away from my enjoyment of the music.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 10:30 am 

The Beatles are and always will be my greatest inspiration. I always come back to their music.<br><br> Nowadays I listen mostly to extreme metal like black and death-metal. I'm really a metalhead now but my so called "musical home" is the Beatles. Listening to them I always get a feeling like returning to home after a long trip. Well their music is surely another trip.<br><br><br>           I LOVE THE BEATLES MORE THAN ANYTHING!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:36 am 

I think we're all born with a sensitive spot for the Beatles<br>For some it takes a little longer to realize it<br>It's kinda like when your a kid and your parents are going<br>do this, do that,  don't do this,  dont do that. and your going<br>yeah,yeah! and then 20 years go by and you go- darn i shoulda listened to my parents they were right.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 2:07 pm 

Mr.Conf.....<br>Would you be so "anti-Beatles" if they hadn't have been British??

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 2:24 pm 

[quote author=Mr. Confusion link=board=general;num=1058088291;start=75#82 date=07/16/03 at 16:05:42]<br>Oh, and my parents hate the Beatles as well. Dad's a country music fan and my Mom doesn't really care for music much accept for maybe Celine Dion. I remember asking them about them once and they said collectively, "The Beatles? Whoopee Shit!" I'm dead serious about that.<br>[/quote]<br>That is absolutely hilarious in so many ways! I can't tell if you are intentionally going for a laugh with that or not, but I for one am laughing my ass off! God, that was great! ;D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 540 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22  Next