Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 512 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Beatles
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 6:07 pm 

POOR MAL EVANS<br><br>Image<br><br>"Mal Evans got shot by the L.A. Police Department in 1976.  It was so crazy, so crazy.  Mal was a big loveable bear of a broadie; he would go over the top occasionally, but we all knew him and never had any problems."<br>~ Paul McCartney<br> <br>"He loved his job, he was brilliant, and I often regret that he got killed.  Right up to this day I keep thinking, 'Mal, where are you?'  If only he was out there now.  He was such good fun..."<br>~ George Harrison<br> <br>"To serve is to rule."<br>~Mal Evans<br>(? - January 1,1975)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:27 am 

...and mostly only his opinion...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:39 am 

I've always loved the Beatles.  Abbey Road was one of the first albums I ever bought.<br><br>However, the other day during a conversation, a person accused them of being the first "Boy Band" (dorky love songs; pretty young men mass merchandised including dolls and stupid movies; image over music, etc.).  <br><br>I pointed out that they were likely past their teens when they hit it big so they weren't technically "boys."<br><br>Then he challenged me to explain why "Love Me Do" is any more musically worthwhile than any boy band tripe.  I do not know any remotely current boy band songs cuz I stopped listening to the radio in about 1983, but I remember the Osmonds and the Jacksons.  <br><br>So, why is "Love Me Do" any better than "Puppy Love"?  My answer is that "Love Me Do" sounds good to me so it's bitchen; "Puppy Love" sounds bad to me so it's shitty.<br><br>Perhaps the bottom line is that it's just a matter of opinion???  I still love the Beatles, but I like "Happiness Is a Warm Gun" much better than "LMD."<br><br>VCF

Revel in your otherness. MK

STILL pissed at Tipper. VCF

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:02 am 

"Love me do" was an early song THEY wrote. You know many boys-band that can come up with a composition of their own ? It has qualities and defaults of an early song. None can't argue that they went on to get better.  <br><br>Anyway, did the early Beatles had any control about what was going on around them ? Do you think they were consulted about any merchandisings ? In 64, they were rather powerless when it came to these kind of things. Like any other band at that time, they had not much to say. Shut up and play your guitar... They even had to beg money from their manager. It was a complete different era. Imagine N'SYNC begging money !!!<br><br>They just wanted to make a "noise". Even John thought that it would not last more than 2 weeks/months when they began to make it big. George even said that he thought he'd stopped being a Beatles back in 66 when they stopped touring.  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 3:07 pm 

George Martin always seem to have some tear in his eye when he talked about good ol' days, specially when he remembered John. For a classical trained guy, he sure knew his shit. Enough to be able to see that these guys had some really innovative and interesting music deep down unto themselves. And to let them work freely. George and the boys was the perfect match.<br><br>Arkay, you hit the spot when you said that merchandising never did anything to the Beatles' music. I guess the guys couldn't care less.

Post subject: re: the beatles
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:11 pm 

hey bulldog

Last edited by slime.oofytv.set on Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:20 am 

Let's see...<br>I see hysteria,  tons of T-Shirts, lots of posters, and other gadgets with their name on it....<br><br>I got it...<br><br>METALLICA = BOYS BAND<br><br>OH !!!! WAIT !!!!!  THERE'S MORE !!!!!<br><br>Even Frank Zappa has T-Shirts and other gadgets to sell. Must I say... OH NO...NO, NOT THAT......<br><br>FRANK ZAPPA = BOYS BAND<br><br>here goes another illusion.... :'(<br><br>Thanks you for your wisdom, Mr Hard Rock Drummer  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:46 pm 

Don't forget the FZ/Beatles collaboration, including<br><br>Let It Be In My Video<br>Hey Heavy Duty Jude<br>A Hard Days Night School<br>I Wanna Hold Your Hands With A Hammer<br>While My Guitar Gently Kills Your Mama<br>Ticket To Ride My Face To Chicago<br>Help I'm A Rocky Racoon<br>Here Comes The Son Of Monster Magnet<br>Nowhere Man With A Woman Head<br>Bungalow Billy The Mountain<br>Do You Want To Know A Secret Chord Progression<br><br><br><br>

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:22 pm 

[quote author=jaypfunk link=board=general;num=1058088291;start=330#343 date=09/08/04 at 15:25:42]<br><br>Hey Mij...<br>Shut your filthy, stench of asshole manpleaser, you dirty fucking French-Canadian shithook!!!<br>What the fuck do you know anyway??<br>Retard!! You talk all day about AMERICAN politics and <br>YOU DON'T EVEN FUCKING LIVE HERE!!! So... until you move here, you have NOTHING TO FUCKING SAY. You fucking piece of crap Chirac wannabe mother fucker!!<br>Shut the fuck up!! Really... just shut the fuck up!!!<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>OH BOY, JPFUCK is sooooo angry. I'm sooooo impressed !!! Guess I won't be able to sleep tonight !   ::) :P  <br><br>BTW, you don't live in England. So why do you talk about the Beatles ?     ???<br><br>You'll hurt your throat !!!   :o

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 512 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 21  Next