Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 512 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Beatles
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 2:32 pm 

I love that!

"I don't have a problem with gay marriage, let them suffer like the rest of us" - Chris Rock

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 5:07 pm 

COOL !    8)

Post subject: re: the beatles
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 6:18 pm 

dr_grogg wrote:
....First, before I continue, I want to say, that comparing FZ with The Beatles is like comparing some Avant-garde act with pop...

... Anyway, The material on many of their albums are brilliant, and interesting too, both musical and at the mixing. I am deeply inspired at some parts. Thumbs up I say...

not bad coming from a guy born almost 20 yrs after the beatles broke up

great animation, thnx strd

Last edited by slime.oofytv.set on Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 8:33 pm 

[quote author=stride link=board=general;num=1058088291;start=285#292 date=05/31/04 at 15:46:29][center]innerestin little Beatles animation Image<br>[sub]^cliikk^[/sub][/center]<br><br>[center]Come Together<br> ;)[/center][/quote]<br><br>Lovely animation...well sorted Stride. Very much in the spirit of the Beatles......I LIKE VERY MUCH!!! 8) 8) 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:31 pm 

Paul McCartney talks about past drug use<br><br><br><br>By Associated Press<br><br><br>LONDON (AP) -- Paul McCartney says he got no thrill from heroin, but found cocaine more to his liking for a time.<br>"I tried heroin just the once," McCartney said in interview published Wednesday in the Daily Mirror newspaper about his drug use in decades past.<br><br>"Even then, I didn't realize I'd taken it. I was just handed something, smoked it, then found out what it was.<br><br>"It didn't do anything for me, which was lucky because I wouldn't have fancied heading down that road," the former Beatle was quoted as saying. The full interview is published this week in Uncut magazine.<br><br>McCartney's drug use has resulted in at least one brush with the law. A planned tour of Japan in 1980 was derailed when the singer was arrested at Tokyo's airport for possession of marijuana and later deported.<br><br>Despite enjoying cocaine for a time, he said he eventually turned against the drug. <br><br>"I did cocaine for about a year around the time of Sgt. Pepper," he said, referring to The Beatles' 1967 album.<br><br>"Coke and maybe some grass to balance it out. I was never completely crazy with cocaine.<br><br>"I'd been introduced to it and at first it seemed OK, like anything that's new and stimulating.<br><br>"When you start working your way through it, you start thinking: 'Mmm, this is not so cool an idea,' especially when you start getting those terrible comedowns," McCartney said. He confirmed that drugs influenced some of the group's songs.<br><br>"A song like 'Got to Get You Into My Life,' that's directly about pot, although everyone missed it at the time," McCartney said.<br><br>"'Day Tripper,' that's one about acid (LSD). 'Lucy in the Sky,' that's pretty obvious. There's others that make subtle hints about drugs, but, you know, it's easy to overestimate the influence of drugs on the Beatles' music."<br><br>John Lennon, who wrote "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds," had denied the song was about drugs and said it was inspired by a nursery school drawing by his son, Julian.<br><br>"Just about everyone was doing drugs in one form or another and we were no different, but the writing was too important for us to mess it up by getting off our heads all the time," McCartney added.<br><br>McCartney also acknowledged that Wings, the band he formed after the breakup of The Beatles, was "pretty rough, not terribly good" when it started out.<br><br>"There was a time when The Beatles weren't very good, but we were able to be not very good in private," McCartney said.<br><br>"Wings had to do it in public and there was always the shadow of The Beatles, which didn't help." <br>

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 5:12 pm 

I just bought "All you need is cash" by the Rutles. I saw it when it first aired, in 78. <br><br>Funny and the mock-songs are really good !   8)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 10:03 pm 

[quote author=Mij link=board=general;num=1058088291;start=300#300 date=06/03/04 at 20:12:07]I just bought "All you need is cash" by the Rutles. I saw it when it first aired, in 78. <br><br>Funny and the mock-songs are really good !   8)[/quote]<br>Saw that some years ago and found the soundtrack album on vinyl last week ;D I agree the songs are very good and funny and cover all phases of the Beatles career

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 3:06 am 

[quote author=Mij link=board=general;num=1058088291;start=300#300 date=06/03/04 at 20:12:07]I just bought "All you need is cash" by the Rutles. I saw it when it first aired, in 78. <br><br>Funny and the mock-songs are really good !   8)[/quote]<br><br>I have always thought<br>In the back of my mind, Cheese and Onions<br>I have always thought<br>That the world was unkind, Cheese and Onions<br>Do I have to spell it out?<br>C-H-E-E-S-E-A-N-D-O-N-I-O-N-S-Oh no<br> ;D LOL

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:18 am 

I've loved The Rutles ever since they came out in 1978.<br><br>Their second release, "Archaeology" is from 1996.<br><br>While it didn't have the same impact as their earlier album when I first heard it, "Archaeology" grew on me and now I recommend it highly.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:22 am 

Ah ! The Rutles !<br><br>Some years ago, in a band, I made them learn a medley that began and ended with "Number One". You should have seen the faces of these dancers !  ;D<br><br>They couldn't figure it out but they sensed that something was familiar even though they did hear it for the first time. If I had my way, I would have the band learn some more, like "OUCH" and "Please, please, hold my hand". Playing taht Rutles song was as much fun as playing the original, and it kicked in a special something. <br><br>And the "Archeology" is pre-fabulous !  8)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 3:26 pm 

Oh, the Pre Fab Four!  I love them!  Is  All You Need Is Cash the "history" of the Rutles, where George Harrison plays the interviewer with short hair and you can hardly recognize him?  I've seen that twice on Public TV and it just blew me away.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 3:59 pm 

I haven't seen the Rutles in years, but I do remember Eric Idle running after a truck all the while talking about something in the Rutles history.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 11:09 pm 

Image  Image  linko<br>From tabootunes comes a great example of early days censorism and corporate greeds

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 11:16 pm 

Not a big beatles fan here.  They have a few songs I wouldn't mind hearing, but overall I find their music pretty lame.<br><br>But looking back on it playing the "Come Together" bass line was pretty fun...in....the 7th grade...*holds back laughter*<br>

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 8:55 pm 

[quote author=LumpyGravy link=board=general;num=1058088291;start=300#314 date=06/07/04 at 04:59:53]<br><br>Well, Bat, that's a natural assumption, but all the Rutles' songs were written by Neil Innes, the guy who plays Ron Nasty (John Lennon). He's an excellent songwriter, he knows how to write pop parodies, and before the Rutles, he was part of Bonzo Dog Band. An equally brilliant British comedy/parody-group.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Yeah.....I'll go along with dat.<br><br>Theres a TV programme about the Bonzos (well more Viv Stanshell) coming up soon on BBC 4 soon, I'll watch out for the date and keep you posted.<br>

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:07 am 

[quote author=LumpyGravy link=board=general;num=1058088291;start=300#314 date=06/07/04 at 04:59:53]<br><br>Before the Rutles, Neil Innes was part of Bonzo Dog Band, an equally brilliant British comedy/parody-group.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Was that them in Magical Mystery Tour?<br><br>Was Neil Innes in that film?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:15 am 

[quote author=QOQUAQ link=board=general;num=1058088291;start=315#317 date=06/09/04 at 10:07:34]<br><br>Was that them in Magical Mystery Tour?<br><br>Was Neil Innes in that film?[/quote]<br>yes

Solipsism Facebook
Solipsism Spotify

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 512 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 21  Next