Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 510 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: re: the beatles
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 9:54 pm 

disco boy wrote:
... I agree that they were ridiculously overrated...

google hits:
  • beatles..... 2,890,000
  • stones...... 1,020,000
  • presley..... 615,000
  • zappa....... 457,000
  • j.christ...... 4,090,000

fz, in evergreen wrote:
in the early days of beatlemania, a guy with long hair had about a 300% better chance of getting laid than a guy without.....at one point during beatlemania, the guys started faking english accents & really pulled the wool over the chicks eyes...

Last edited by slime.oofytv.set on Sat May 02, 2015 12:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: The Beatles
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 12:26 am 

I like Beatles.<br>I love John Lennon ("God" is one of the best songs ever!!! imo).<br><br>First Beatles' things... I do not like them (ok, I know they were innovative and so on but I'm talking from an aesthetic point of view).<br><br>Rubber Soul is a sort of bridge between old and new Beatlestyle...<br><br>From Revolver to the end they did their best... some Beatlesthings aren't still overpassed by anything!<br>An example? Strawbery fields forever!<br><br>ciao

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 1:23 am 

I'm not a huge fan of the Beatles but my favourite songs are :-<br><br>Here, there and everywhere<br>Across the Universe<br>In My Life<br>

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 7:31 am 

The Beatles were, are, and will continue to be one of the most important, influential music groups in history. This point should not be subject to repudiation by anyone of even minimal intelligence.<br><br>Whether or not you personally like them or their music is a different point, and one which may be stated (but should not be debated).<br><br>I like them alot.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 10:46 am 

Even though I was only one year old when The Beatles split for me they were probably the greatest group in the history of popular music. OK so I might be biased as they are still a massive business to Liverpool (the airport is named after Lennon) and my mother went to see 'em etc.. but you only have to listen to how they went on from their poppy beginnings to produce some of the greatest records of all time. Take a listen to Revolver and remember that this was made 37 years ago !! There's a George Harrison backward guitar solo and a taped drum loop still used today by The Chemical Brothers. The White Album , Sgt Peppers (yeah they may have been totally wasted but they could still release stuff like A Day in the Life) and Abbey Road with it's You Never Give Me Your Money/Sun King/Mean Mr.Mustard/Polythene Pam/She Came In Through The Bathroom Window/Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight medley that still sounds fresh today. Throw in their final offering Let it Be and you've got 5 of the greatest records of all time. <br>Overrated ? Nar !!<br>Ahead of Their Time? Yeah!! Now where else have I heard that.....?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 10:48 am 

PS. Anyone who's can "allegedly" smoked a joint in Buckingham Palace has gotta be OK!  ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 11:10 am 

IMHO,George Martin was th man behind the Beatles.Along with Epstien and a cast of 1000s<br><br>Frank on the other hand did all this himself

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 12:53 pm 

[quote author=LumpyGravy link=board=general;num=1058088291;start=30#39 date=07/14/03 at 14:37:04]<br><br>Very well said!! <br>Just a couple of things, that might be of interest: The backwards guitar on Tomorrow Never Knows (I suppose that's the solo you mentioned), is not played by George Harrison. In fact, it's a part of the guitar solo from Taxman, and it's played by Paul McCartney (even though George Harrison wrote it). <br>And I don't know what drum loop you mean. If it's Tomorrow Never Knows we're talking about again, it's not a loop. It's Ringo Starr playing live! Apart from that I totally agree with you! <br> ;)[/quote]<br><br>Well I knew McCartney did the solo on the Harrison penned Taxman but didn't know this was the backward guitar part on Tomorrow Never Knows .Well yer learn something new every day. :)<br>I meant the solo on I'm Only Sleeping- what I should be really doing now. <br>As for the drum loop- sorry - I meant Ringo's drumming over a tape loop and overdubbed guitars. The "original trance record" perhaps?<br>Sorry for the Revolver related fuck-ups. It's been a long hot day..... :-[<br>Still a great album though !!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 1:44 pm 

Comparing The Beatles to Frank Zappa is silly!<br><br>One question that is often asked is: If you had to choose would it be The Beatles or The Rolling Stones.<br><br>For me, The stones were ok but The Beatles did interesting things with music.<br><br>The whole songwriting element is also very interesting.<br>I've been getting into the Beatles quite a bit over the last year & I have to conclude that McCartney was the dominant force behind The Beatles.<br>

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 1:46 pm 

[quote author=jimmie d link=board=general;num=1058088291;start=30#41 date=07/14/03 at 16:12:14][center]<br>The albums Freak Out! and Absolutely Free were both produced by Tom Wilson.[/center][/quote]<br><br>Who ran a modeling school whereupon he...<br><br>Oops...excuse me, lets try that again:<br><br>Who also produced Another Side Of Bob Dylan and Bringing It All Back Home.<br><br>Yesiree Bob.

>You don't.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 4:23 am 

<br><br><br><br><br>[move]The who ???[/move]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 5:50 am 

this next question arises:<br><br>how about pin-pointing the importance of the influence of the beatles?<br><br>a bit of advocate for the devil here would say:<br>they gave us only new insights in POPmusic - they made the stuff that set the blueprint for britney spears, and billions of other stupid music - music that has nothing at stake...<br><br>now, why be glad about that?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 6:23 am 

[quote author=LumpyGravy link=board=general;num=1058088291;start=45#50 date=07/15/03 at 09:17:46]Sorry guys, I'm not going to waste my time on you...  ;)<br>It's not worth it. You've made up your minds already, anyway...<br>[/quote]<br><br> ;)<br><br>well, i was kinda serious when i wanted to explore the influence of the beatles - does it go any further than popmusic. caus I really don't have a clue on that - i don't know shit about. <br><br>so my question was sincere - although, indeed, i don't really care for the beatles indeed, some very nice tunes and all, but that's about it in my book...<br><br>so if anyone wants to elaborate, please do. <br>

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 510 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next