Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 512 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Beatles
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 1:55 pm 

I think the Beatles' worst album was "Beatles for Sale".<br><br>Image<br><br>That statement is tempered by what came afterwards, though. <br><br>[glow=red,2,300]Rubber Soul[/glow]<br>[glow=blue,2,300]Revolver[/glow]<br>[glow=yellow,2,300]Sgt. Pepper's[/glow]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 5:30 pm 

[quote author=Batchain115 link=board=general;num=1058088291;start=120#121 date=07/17/03 at 17:13:03]<br><br>jaypfunk:<br>I think the only question you leave unanswered here is, "Did they do a good job of it?" I maintain that they did a spectacular job of sucking big horse dick most of the time by far. At no point can you possibly say that they fucked up (minus a few exceptions truly not worth noting) at sucking big horse dick.<br><br>--Bat<br>[/quote]<br>I think the horse would say that there's no such thing as a bad blow job.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 5:37 pm 

[quote author=Uncle Bernie link=board=general;num=1058088291;start=120#122 date=07/17/03 at 20:30:13]<br>I think the horse would say that there's no such thing as a bad blow job.[/quote]<br><br>To much drugs or not enough on there later years ?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 6:33 pm 

I love the commentary, it's priceless!<br>One other thing to consider.<br>While the Beatles were singing "She loves you, yeah, yeah, yeah..." Charles Mingus had just recorded "The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady", Sun Ra recently recorded "Cosmic Tones for Mental Therapy/Art Forms for Dimensions Tomorrow", Miles Davis a few years before recorded "Sketches of Spain", and the list goes on and on.<br>People thought the Beatles had somehow reinvented the wheel, but rather they were mere childs play in comparision.

Post subject: re: the beatles
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 7:24 pm 

mentaltossflycoon wrote:
...When I listen to "Let It Be," I don't get the feeling that they were enjoying themselves. Rather I get the feeling that they just wanted to get it over with, so they could get the fuck out of there...

sweet apple trax vol 2, a semi-official 2-lp boot of outakes from the let it be sessions [no yoko]; 8 minute stop/go of let it be, 11 takes/10 minutes of i me mine, onemorphing into i got a feeling; sounds like rehearsals, never had the impression they were being filmed, some parts sound forced, some parts sound lackadasical, like nobody was in charge, with paul generating the bulk of the motivation...worth listening to the dialog if you're a b-fan

Last edited by slime.oofytv.set on Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 11:41 pm 

[quote author=MentalTossFlycoon link=board=general;num=1058088291;start=120#125 date=07/17/03 at 21:51:02]<br><br>When I listen to "Let It Be," I don't get the feeling that they were enjoying themselves. Rather I get the feeling that they just wanted to get it over with, so they could get the fuck out of there.<br><br>The simple fact is, creativity doesn't happen on a schedule. You can record an album on a schedule, but you just can't write songs that way. With the film crew there, they were forced to try to write the songs during specified union work hours, and it didn't work.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Yeah good point. Even though I don't think it's a bad album - The Long & Winding Road is one of my fave Beatles tracks - can you imagine how good it could have been if they were allowed to get on with it at their own pace.<br>

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 2:48 am 

[quote author=MentalTossFlycoon link=board=general;num=1058088291;start=120#125 date=07/17/03 at 21:51:02]<br><br>When I listen to "Let It Be," I don't get the feeling that they were enjoying themselves. Rather I get the feeling that they just wanted to get it over with, <br>[/quote]<br><br><br>I've listened to Hours and Hours  of the "Get Back Sessions" and 90% of the time the Boys really seemed to be enjoying themselves, lots of laughing and giggling ( hmm.. maybe it was the Mary Jane)<br><br><br>Beatles fan since '64 ( Yes , I danced to "Meet the Beatles" and "Introducing the Beatles" from my playpen)<br><br><br><br>

l)
l

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 4:43 am 

[quote author=Dirty_Love link=board=general;num=1058088291;start=105#118 date=07/17/03 at 16:16:58]... (but of course I have not heard so much from the stones but I can imagine...  ;) )[/quote]<br><br>When Mick Taylor was with the Stones they did some really good stuff. Some of their live recordings from the early 70's are outstanding.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 11:29 pm 

I'm afraid that I fall into the "The Beatles are overrated" camp. I don't mind listening to them, and I certainly don't think they suck (too much.) They just don't do it for me.<br><br>However, I am grateful for them. For without the Beatles, there would have been no Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.<br><br>And without Sgt. Pepper's, there would be no We're Only In It For The Money, right? (Then again, without Freak Out! there would have been no Sgt. Pepper's, so what the fuck am I talking about?)<br><br>Anyway, Frank's music does do it for me. I just started listening to him again after several months of listening to other things. I feel like I've been away for a while and I just returned home. (Not that the trip wasn't enjoyable, but it was definitely time to come home.)<br>

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 2:27 pm 

[quote author=Arkay link=board=general;num=1058088291;start=120#122 date=07/24/03 at 17:19:21]Here's a fun little quote to chew on:<br><br>"Is it conceited to say we were better than all the other groups? Maybe it is. But listen to songs like 'Eleanor Rigby' and 'Penny Lane.' We were better."<br>-- PAUL McCARTNEY discussing his Beatles career in The New York Times.[/quote]<br>It's notable that he didn't mention any Lennon-penned songs. The prick.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 6:11 pm 

[quote author=Uncle Bernie link=board=general;num=1058088291;start=120#123 date=07/24/03 at 17:27:56]It's notable that he didn't mention any Lennon-penned songs. The prick.[/quote]<br><br>I "Second" that sentiment, Uncle!  GRRRRRRR!   >:(<br><br>Gypsy Moon Dream<br><br>PS -- John Lennon is my fave Beatle...as if you couldn't tell.  ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 3:18 am 

..Although I love the Beatles, if that quote from Paul was legit, I think it extremely pretentious of him to think that they [the Beatles] were the best.In any given time frame...then...or...now, they were Great, yes, but certainly not the ultimate best..<br>..As much as I hate to admit it, John too, said something equally pretentious in comparing the Beatles to Jesus Christ..on how much more popular the Beatles were at that time..<br>..I believe in retaining a modicum of "Humility", that one should never violate..<br>..As proud as FZ undoubtedly was of his achievements, I'm quite sure he wouldn't have made such a crass statement....even if he truly felt that way... ;D ;D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 6:38 am 

Im in the not quite sure camp here, The Beatles as a group were, I think over rated, some of their music However I enjoy, but only a small amount of it is outstanding! I  read somewhere that P.M could not read music until very recently also when somebody asked JL if RS was the best drummer in the world he replied he is not even the best drummer in The Beatles! <br><br>Some folks say that if not for the Beatles music would not be where it is now, personally I feel that that is pure fantasy someone else would have been the flavour of the moment if they had been shelved and gone without trace <br><br>just a personel thing but you did ask!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 512 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 21  Next