Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 524 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Beatles
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:09 pm 

THE BEATLES - CHRISTMAS ALBUM (1970)
Original Official USA Pressin
g

01. Dec. 1963 (5:03)
02. Dec. 1964 (4:04)
03. Dec. 1965 (6:25)
04. Dec. 1966 (6:41)
05. Dec. 1967 (6:09)
06. Dec. 1968 (7:53)
07. Dec. 1969 (7:40)

All tracks MONO
All of these mixes are officially unavailable on CD.

Hardware:
- Technics 1210mk2
- Jelco SA-750D Tonearm (w/ JAC 501 cable)
- Audio Technica AT33PTG MC
- Pro-Ject Tube Box SE-2
- Yamaha CA-1010
- RME ADI-2 A/D Interface

Software:
- Audition 3.0 used for editing, (incl. manual removal of clicks and pops) & adding gain.
- Click Repair 3.9.1 used with setting Cl: 10, Cr: 0

Transfer and Restoration by Prof. Stoned

Prof. sez:

Here's another rarity in the series "essential but not available on cd".

As you know, these 7 tracks were originally released on flexi discs to all members of the British fan club. When the band broke up in 1970, it was decided between the band's ever loyal fan club secretary Freda Kelly, George Harrison and Paul McCartney that the fan club was to be dissolved, as well. A final present to the club members was conceived: an album that put all seven Christmas messages together. In Britain the LP was called "From Then To You”, which first came out on the Lytone label, and then later on Apple. In the USA, the LP was simply called "Christmas Album", and came out on Capitol/Apple. Reportedly, the release of the USA pressing was much delayed; copies were delivered two or three months after Christmas to unsuspecting fan club members.

Both the UK and USA versions are said to have been sourced from Freda Kelly's copies of the original flexi discs. To my ears, 1964, 1965, 1969 and possibly 1968 may have been tape sourced, as they don't have the crackling that's quite apparent on the other tracks, and which one would expect from such an inferior medium. However, the sound quality is about equal for all tracks, and none of these have the same fidelity as the regular EMI recordings.

Because the original release was limited and not for commercial purposes, demand for this LP quickly exceeded supply, and soon enough, counterfeit versions of both the UK and USA releases appeared in the early ‘70s. Later on during that same decade, a counterfeit version of the USA album that faithfully copied the original sleeve and record labels flooded the market. To this day, these are often mistaken for the real deal, and in my estimation, outnumber genuine pressings on a scale of 10 to 1.

This recording was sourced from a mint original 1970 fan club copy with authentic Sam Feldman/Bell Sound signature. The vinyl quality is good for this era, and most of the surface noise actually comes from the recordings themself. I have managed to clean up the crackling as thoroughly as possible, without harming the sound. This might well be the best digital version so far, at least compared to all the sources I have heard.

As for the content itself, 1966 to 1968 are probably the most interesting ones. Then again, the whole series gives an interesting glimpse into Beatleworld over the course of seven years. I think it's an essential listen for the above-average fan (and let's face it, most of us are).

Enjoy and Happy Holidays!

FLAC: 16bit/44.1kHz (CD Quality)

password: profstoned

http://filecloud.io/3p9fh12qg

OR

http://www.filefactory.com/file/486q7i1 ... _CA_LR.rar

SPECIAL HIGH RESOLUTION DOWNLOAD FOR AUDIOPHILIACS

FLAC: 24bit/96kHz (DVD Quality)

password: profstoned

http://filecloud.io/d50c793ln

OR

http://www.filefactory.com/file/54qkc4z ... _CA_HR.rar

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:40 pm 

Thanks 8)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:13 am 

I'm in Liverpool right now.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:53 pm 

polydigm wrote:
I'm in Liverpool right now.

Tell Ringo "hi" for me. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:44 am 

Actually, he's really busy right now ...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:06 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:52 pm 

I decided to surprise Sabby, yesterday, by putting up a new shower curtain while she was out. Not only did it surprise her, but it really startled her, when she unexpectedly saw a big Blue Meanie staring at her on the toilet !! :twisted:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:53 am 

Location: Behind a ultra-avant laminated, simulated replica-mahogany desk
nice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:00 am 

Paul McCartney sues to get Beatles songs back from Sony

Paul McCartney wants his Beatles songs back.

The pop music legend filed a lawsuit against Sony/ATV Music Publishing on Wednesday in an attempt to regain the rights to a long list of Beatles hits that he either wrote or co-wrote with John Lennon.

Songs such as "Yesterday," "I Want to Hold Your Hand" and a slew of other Beatles hits are subject to the suit, according to court documents.

McCartney is arguing that the 1976 Copyright Act should allow him to start reclaiming ownership of the songs from Sony/ATV next year. Sony (SNE) declined to comment on the matter.

The lawsuit is the latest move in McCartney's decades-long pursuit of the rights.

Sony and entertainer Michael Jackson formed Sony/ATV in 1995, a decade after the King of Pop paid $41.5 million to acquire the ATV catalog, which included many Beatles songs. Jackson outbid McCartney to clinch the deal.

Sony took full control of Sony/ATV last year after Michael Jackson's estate agreed to sell its 50% stake for $750 million.

McCartney began sending Sony/ATV "termination notices to reclaim his copyright interests in his musical compositions" in October 2008, his lawyers say in the complaint.

His notices should start taking effect on Oct. 5, 2018, beginning with the rights to "Love Me Do," according to the court documents.

McCartney is asking the court to declare his terminating rights are not a breach of publishing agreements.

His lawyers are concerned about a decision by a U.K. court last year involving the pop group Duran Duran. The court found in favor of a Sony/ATV subsidiary that sued Duran Duran members for breach of contract when they tried to reclaim rights to their songs.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:35 pm 

What an awesome Dvd this is. Great job Ron!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:46 pm 

I saw Eight Days A Week at the theater this summer. As an added bonus, the entire Shea Stadium 1965 concert (in color with great sound) was shown immediately after the movie. 8)

http://www.billboard.com/articles/colum ... iler-video

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:24 pm 

I did too, 2 or 3 months ago when it was showned at "Le Clap" in Québec.
I thought then that these 4 guys had to be very patient to endure all that screaming night after night.
I, for one, would have blowned a fuse !

Odd to realise that all that popularity they received was an important seed of their future breakup.
Nevertheless, the music never stopped till the end.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:02 pm 

You might be high - but you'll never be Paul McCartney playing a sitar on the floor of Abbey Road Studios while wearing moon boots and underpants on your head - high.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:02 pm 

LOL... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:45 am 

Only $702.00 CDN ($528.00 USD)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:10 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:38 pm 

just plain doug wrote:
Only $702.00 CDN ($528.00 USD)

Can I get it without the picture of George Harrison? How much?

Looks like he's in his Sitar phase...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:31 am 

coevad wrote:
What an awesome Dvd this is. Great job Ron!

I watched this on the plane to Florida 2 weeks ago, excellent, especially the part about the shea stadium concert and how bad a performance it was said to be but when they unearthed the original recording connected to the the instruments and the micks it turned out it was perfect performance that did not come off correctly over the PA system and how amazing it was since the band could not hear themselves much less each other, a tribute to how well rehearsed they were... :idea:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:07 pm 

Beatles were great but Sgt Pepper is mostly a bunch of shit. For years and years folks tried to pass it off as the greatest album of all time. Strawberry Fields Forever and even Penny Lane would have helped the album tremendously. If Beach Boys Smile came out, say, in March of 1967, Sgt Pepper would have blown less minds. Pepper was the Beatles chasing Brian Wilson but they were not good at it. A Day In The Life is the only great song on the album. I realize some guys can't experience the Beatles objectively but Sgt Pepper is just about their worst album. It does not age well. Their previous album Revolver is one of their best. The White Album is the apex. There's not one song on the original side one of Abbey Road I ever want to hear again. Maybe I played it too much or maybe it was never that exciting. It's bland compared to the White Album. It might be the only Beatle album where McCartney wrote my favorite song (YNGMYM). Here Comes The Sun is lightweight fluff. There's nothing wrong with that but All Things Must Pass should have kicked off side two instead. Simply because it's an infinitely better song. Here Comes The Sun should have been given to Partridge Family. Of course, then Harrison would have needed a new title for his 3rd solo album. Or, he could have still used the song on his solo album. He had two Isn't It A Pitys.

Help is a great album. Right?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:18 am 

downer mydnyte wrote:
Beatles were great but Sgt Pepper is mostly a bunch of shit. For years and years folks tried to pass it off as the greatest album of all time. Strawberry Fields Forever and even Penny Lane would have helped the album tremendously. If Beach Boys Smile came out, say, in March of 1967, Sgt Pepper would have blown less minds. Pepper was the Beatles chasing Brian Wilson but they were not good at it. A Day In The Life is the only great song on the album. I realize some guys can't experience the Beatles objectively but Sgt Pepper is just about their worst album. It does not age well. Their previous album Revolver is one of their best. The White Album is the apex. There's not one song on the original side one of Abbey Road I ever want to hear again. Maybe I played it too much or maybe it was never that exciting. It's bland compared to the White Album. It might be the only Beatle album where McCartney wrote my favorite song (YNGMYM). Here Comes The Sun is lightweight fluff. There's nothing wrong with that but All Things Must Pass should have kicked off side two instead. Simply because it's an infinitely better song. Here Comes The Sun should have been given to Partridge Family. Of course, then Harrison would have needed a new title for his 3rd solo album. Or, he could have still used the song on his solo album. He had two Isn't It A Pitys.

Help is a great album. Right?

Downer

In my formative teenage years I was doing a lot of airbrush art mixed with other media while extremely high... :smoke:...Sgt.Peper and Abby Road were two of my go to albums with my super cool head phones to drown out the sound of the compressor...I can agree that Sgt.Peper wore thin after multiple listening while Abby Road seemed for me at least to get deeper and deeper, it could have been the Thai stick... :mrgreen:

Other favorites at that time were
FZ - ONS, Apostrophe, OSFA, Roxy

Robin Trower - Bridge of Sighs

Anything Budgie

Maggot Brain

I'm embarrased to say it but Autobahn

Johnny Winter Live

Rory Gallagher Live

I had a shit load of Stones and favored Sticky Fingers, Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out, Goat Head Soup..so many

David Bowie everything

I'm sure I am missing others... :?

Slight off ramp I would sometimes work into the wee hours in the morning, my room was in the far east of the house and my parents were in the far west...one night my Dad got up and must of heard the relentlessly running of my compressor and came through 3 doors to reach my room and scared the cramp out of me because I did not hear he enter and he tapped me on the shoulder... :shock: ...I must have flew 3 feet in the air like one of those cat videos and spilled paint on the piece I had put hours of work into...he didn't care he just wanted to know what the hell was going on... :evil: ...I have always done my best work between midnight and 4 am I've never been sure why... 8)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:45 pm 

Nice, Plook. Thanks for sharing. After midnight always seems to be a highly creative time. I do think Walrus and Blue Jay Way achieved what they seemed to be chasing on Pepper. Great, heavily produced psychedelic songs. It's All Too Much as well. And, of course, Strawberry Fields Forever.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:48 pm 

Plook- No reason to feel embarrassed about Kraftwerk.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:03 am 

KUIII wrote:
Plook- No reason to feel embarrassed about Kraftwerk.

^ this.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:44 pm 

coevad wrote:

Why the hell is McCartney wearing sandals or flip flops or whatever? They're on the beach for fucks sake, and he was barefoot on the cover of Abbey Road.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:52 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
Why the hell is McCartney wearing sandals or flip flops or whatever? They're on the beach for fucks sake, and he was barefoot on the cover of Abbey Road.

I guess you haven't spent a lot of time on the beach in the midday sun. That sand burns...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 524 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next