Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 593 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Beatles
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:23 am 

The Beatles: Get Back - A Sneak Peek from Peter Jackson

https://youtu.be/UocEGvQ10OE

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:43 am 

Definite must see!!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:29 am 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:53 am 

Mr. Nice Guy wrote:
THE BEATLES - CHRISTMAS ALBUM (1970)
Original Official USA Pressin
g

01. Dec. 1963 (5:03)
02. Dec. 1964 (4:04)
03. Dec. 1965 (6:25)
04. Dec. 1966 (6:41)
05. Dec. 1967 (6:09)
06. Dec. 1968 (7:53)
07. Dec. 1969 (7:40)

All tracks MONO
All of these mixes are officially unavailable on CD.
Full artwork included in download..

Hardware:
- Technics 1210mk2
- Jelco SA-750D Tonearm (w/ JAC 501 cable)
- Audio Technica AT33PTG MC
- Pro-Ject Tube Box SE-2
- Yamaha CA-1010
- RME ADI-2 A/D Interface

Software:
- Audition 3.0 used for editing, (incl. manual removal of clicks and pops) & adding gain.
- Click Repair 3.9.1 used with setting Cl: 10, Cr: 0

Transfer and Restoration by Prof. Stoned

Prof. sez:

Here's another rarity in the series "essential but not available on cd".

As you know, these 7 tracks were originally released on flexi discs to all members of the British fan club. When the band broke up in 1970, it was decided between the band's ever loyal fan club secretary Freda Kelly, George Harrison and Paul McCartney that the fan club was to be dissolved, as well. A final present to the club members was conceived: an album that put all seven Christmas messages together. In Britain the LP was called "From Then To You”, which first came out on the Lytone label, and then later on Apple. In the USA, the LP was simply called "Christmas Album", and came out on Capitol/Apple. Reportedly, the release of the USA pressing was much delayed; copies were delivered two or three months after Christmas to unsuspecting fan club members.

Both the UK and USA versions are said to have been sourced from Freda Kelly's copies of the original flexi discs. To my ears, 1964, 1965, 1969 and possibly 1968 may have been tape sourced, as they don't have the crackling that's quite apparent on the other tracks, and which one would expect from such an inferior medium. However, the sound quality is about equal for all tracks, and none of these have the same fidelity as the regular EMI recordings.

Because the original release was limited and not for commercial purposes, demand for this LP quickly exceeded supply, and soon enough, counterfeit versions of both the UK and USA releases appeared in the early ‘70s. Later on during that same decade, a counterfeit version of the USA album that faithfully copied the original sleeve and record labels flooded the market. To this day, these are often mistaken for the real deal, and in my estimation, outnumber genuine pressings on a scale of 10 to 1.

This recording was sourced from a mint original 1970 fan club copy with authentic Sam Feldman/Bell Sound signature. The vinyl quality is good for this era, and most of the surface noise actually comes from the recordings themself. I have managed to clean up the crackling as thoroughly as possible, without harming the sound. This might well be the best digital version so far, at least compared to all the sources I have heard.

As for the content itself, 1966 to 1968 are probably the most interesting ones. Then again, the whole series gives an interesting glimpse into Beatleworld over the course of seven years. I think it's an essential listen for the above-average fan (and let's face it, most of us are).

Enjoy and Happy Holidays!

RE-UP 8)

Easy Download - No Password - Wav Files - Artwork

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/3e3b7dad537f8acf36ccd822cc5a417c20201221174629/c72d7e

EXPIRES ONE WEEK FROM TODAY

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:00 am 

Post subject: Re: the beatles
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:16 pm 

Mr. Nice Guy wrote:

that gave me goosebumps. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:24 am 

Ringo Starr’s End of Year Recap 2020 :arrow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5wAjaHLHOI

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:45 am 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:05 am 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:11 am 

The Beatles and Lionel Blair perform the new dance craze "The Kick" on ABC Television's "Blackpool Night Out".

Let's Kick :arrow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOKs4dWK52g

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:25 pm 

Mr. Nice Guy wrote:

In time of youth, it was a blessing.
So much joy, so much optimism.
I loved the Beatles.
So good to see them together, smiling, in good spirit.
8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:00 pm 

Does anybody else have the Deluxe addition of Abbey Road with the Dolby Atmos/5.1 disc? I'd recommend it highly.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:26 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:00 am 

Gray_Ghost wrote:

Problem? The "best drummer" one is bullshit. John never said that, and it sure as hell wasn't true.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 10:22 am 

TBU QUOTE OF THE DAY
By Robbie Thornton
May 3rd
"The idea for guitar solos was very spontaneous and everybody said, 'Yes! Definitely' – well, except for George, who was a little apprehensive at first. But he saw how excited John and Paul were so he went along with it. Truthfully, I think they rather liked the idea of playing together, not really trying to outdo one another per se, but engaging in some real musical bonding.
Yoko was about to go into the studio with John – this was commonplace by now – and he actually told her, 'No, not now. Let me just do this. It'll just take a minute.' That surprised me a bit. Maybe he felt like he was returning to his roots with the boys – who knows?
The order was Paul first, then George, then John, and they went back and forth. They ran down their ideas a few times and before you knew it, they were ready to go. Their amps were lined up together and we recorded their parts on one track.
You could really see the joy in their faces as they played; it was like they were teenagers again. One take was all we needed. The musical telepathy between them was mind-boggling."
Geoff Emerick, sound engineer, explaining the three way guitar solo in THE END
Source: Music Radar website
Robbie's Commentary
THE END is the final song of the last album The Beatles recorded : a fitting curtain closer on a stellar career that shook the world to its foundations and left us a wonderful legacy of magical music that we can cherish forever
Paul was the main driving force behind Abbey Road, and wanted to give The Beatles the send-off they deserved
Also fittingly, the beginning of the song has Ringo doing the only drum solo he had ever performed in his career with The Beatles
It actually took a lot of persuasion from Paul to convince him to do it
And what a drum solo, the perfect lead in to the triple guitar duel between Paul, John and George
As Geoff Emerick said, the boys looked like they were having the time of their lives just like in the old days together
Astonishingly, they nailed it in one take
Paul's final cosmically philosophical line
'And in the end the love you take
is equal to the love you make' is one of the best known lines in any Beatle song
A philosophy many Beatle fans, including me, have taken to heart ; you get back what you give out
And The Beatles have given plenty

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 4:41 pm 

I just bought the 1s Blu-Ray. I thought it was really good and the songs sound great.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 3:09 am 

https://www.facebook.com/forgeorge/photos/a.221929081209789/3942138955855431/ (hope that link works)

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 8:07 am 

ursinator wrote:

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 6:41 am 

^ Stu Sutcliffe on bass, Johnny Hutchinson on drums.

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 12:22 am 

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 10:04 am 

An answer we haven’t known for all these years: Who sang the ‘ahh’ part in the Beatles song A Day in the Life?

Brad Wheeler
Published 6 hours ago

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/music/article-an-answer-we-havent-known-for-all-these-years-who-sang-the-ahh-part-in/

A minor social media skirmish erupted recently when the fan site Beatles Earth posed a question on Twitter. Who is singing the dreamy mid-song “Ahh” part on the Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band song A Day in the Life, it was asked. The passage in dispute kicks in at the 2:49 mark, right after Paul McCartney sings “I went into a dream.”

Was it John Lennon who sings the long, wordless moan that follows? Was it McCartney? Was it both of them? According to Beatles Earth, the debate over this has been raging ever since the majestic A Day in the Life closed Sgt. Pepper with an E-major crescendo in 1967.

In reaction to the resurrected debate, a few well-known musicians tweeted their surprise that the question was any question at all.

“Is it not John?” asked singer-songwriter Ron Sexsmith.

“It’s John,” CSNY’s David Crosby said, “no question.”

“There’s no debate,” Juno-winner Hawksley Workman agreed.

But there is a debate. Even though the late Abbey Road recording engineer Geoff Emerick (who recorded the song) wrote in his book that it was Lennon’s voice, a faction of Beatles nerds say Emerick’s memory was faulty and that the “Ahh” singer was Paul.

One of them is Jerry Hammack, a Canadian-American musician and studio engineer who authored The Beatles Recording Reference Manuals (1961-1970), a five-book magical mystery tour into the minutia of the band’s studio history. “I’ve determined that the ‘Ahh’ vocal is sung by Paul,” he told The Globe last week. “The tonality of the voice and his phrasing embellishments at the end of the passage are pure McCartney.”

There is indeed a flutter to the vocals at the 3:00 minute mark that does seem more Paul than John. McCartney-believers also point out that the “Ahh” vocals in A Day in The Life sound similar to the “Ahh” lead-in to Paul’s Lovely Rita, also from Sgt. Pepper.

Lennon is no longer alive and never said goo goo g’joob on the “Ahh” subject when he was around. Besides, he was a notoriously unreliable narrator, singing “I am the walrus” in 1967, only to reverse himself on Glass Onion a year later: “Here’s another clue for you all, the walrus was Paul.”

As for McCartney, he was once posed the question on Reddit. Unfortunately, his answer was inconclusive: “I seem to think we all sang it,” he wrote. “But I was definitely in there.”

When it came to writing A Day in the Life, both Lennon and McCartney were definitely in there. The zonked gloom and newspaper-reading sighs were from Lennon. McCartney’s the guy who spryly jumps out of bed, drags a comb across his head and races to catch the bus in “seconds flat.”

An orchestral freak-out connects their unrelated parts. “It was a damn good piece of work,” Lennon told Playboy magazine in 1980, and there is no questioning his opinion on that.

Piers Hemmingsen, who authored The Beatles in Canada: The Origins of Beatlemania!, remembers listening to Sgt. Pepper with high-end Koss headphones as a teenager. “The experience was life-changing,” he told The Globe. “It was that album that took you somewhere for 39 minutes.”

Hemmingsen’s neighbours had the headphones. In their house as a babysitter, he was engrossed in the music instead. “If that baby was crying, I didn’t hear it,” he recalled.

One man’s headphones are another man’s blinders – we only hear what we’re open to. “I always thought the ‘Ahhs’ were Lennon’s,” Hemmingsen says, “but after you’re told it’s Paul, you start to think, ‘Well, maybe it is.’”

Polling Beatles aficionados on the question, the only thing that became clear was that nothing is clear.

“I think the confusion is because the opening ‘Ahh’ sounds very John, but the rest sounds Paul,” says Toronto entertainer and animator Jerry Levitan, who recently collaborated with Sean Ono Lennon on a series of animated shorts connected to a 50th-anniversary reissue of John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band.

Sportscaster Paul Romanuk, who hosts the podcast The Walrus was Paul, is, no surprise, pro-McCartney. “Paul McCartney has way more of an ability to be comfortable in that high register, which is where that ‘Ahh’ part is,” Romanuk points out. “John Lennon never demonstrated that he could stay in that high register.”

But, then, there are ways to manipulate vocal pitches by altering tape speeds during the recording process.

Andrew Burashko, whose Toronto-based Art of Time Ensemble has presented elegant live performances of Sgt. Pepper and Abbey Road, always assumed the “Ahh” was from Lennon, but later switched to the McCartney camp. Now that the question has popped up again, he’s back to being a Lennon loyalist after listening to the track’s isolated vocals.

“I’ve had their voices in my ear since I was seven years old, and they are so distinctly different,” Burashko says. “Hearing the vocal on its own, it just doesn’t sound like Paul.”

Former Barenaked Ladies singer-songwriter Steven Page, who participated in Burashko’s Sgt. Pepper staging, always associated the vocals with Lennon. “That nasal quality seemed like it could only be him, and I even argued with friends about it, smugly assuming I could only be right.”

But, after hearing the isolated vocals recently, Page believes it was Paul who went into the dream. “There’s not much I hate more than being wrong about Beatles trivia but I have to admit that I stand corrected.”

And on it goes. We may never get the definitive answer on this question and others when it comes to the Beatles, the act we only thought we knew for all these years. Mystery keeps their music a little more alive, which can only be a good thing, no debate there.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 1:56 pm 

You can hear the part isolated in this video. I've always heard it as John, and this does little to change my mind. But it does reveal that there are multiple backing vocals joining in--hard to tell how many, what with all the echo--and this is buried in the full mix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFaV_ZglrAc

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 2:49 pm 

I think it's Ringo... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:13 am 

Enjoy this before the copyright police will find out:
The Beatles - Rooftop Concert (1969)
8)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:44 am 

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 593 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next