Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Pink Floyd
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 1:50 am 

Well, Pink Floyd had been my first rock-love. I grew up with good music, my father loved jazz, classical music and italian good singer like Lucio Dalla, Ivano Fossati, Paolo Conte  and so on... but the first time I listened to Pink Floyd's THE WALL (I was thirteen), I had my first shock and I got away from my adolescence :-[ and became a real freak-teenager! ;)<br>Then I had other important meetings, specially with THE VELVET UNDERGROUND & NICO  :-/(I was 17) and, of course, with FZ (18 years old). :o.. I'm still in love with Zappa music and sometimes I stop and think about Floyd music and... well, I'm not sure about their absolute importance. Of course they did beautiful "romantic" things, like Dark side of the moon, Wish you were here, Animals (one of my favourite still nowadays); they created unforgettable stuffs (Comfortably numb solo, One of these days, Another brick in the wall riff); they composed music and not only rock-songs (Atom heart mother, Echoes)...<br><br>BUT<br><br>Are they important in the whole music's history just like Frank Zappa? I mean, when I talk about Bartok I can talk about Coltrane too and, of course, about Zappa but should I talk also about Floyd? Are they important only for rock history or for music history too?<br><br>Ciao.<br>

Post subject: Re: Pink Floyd
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 6:58 am 

Pink Floyd and Frank Zappa have played together somewhere in France in 1969.<br>I don't know where, but it was sometime after he broke up the Mothers Of Invention....<br>If my memory serves me correct...Frank played solo guitar on.....(shit forgot the name of the song)<br><br>Well, someone out here must know it...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 7:17 am 

INTERSTELLAR OVERDRIVE!!!<br><br>You've opened a closed door in my memory!!!!<br><br>Who have got this recording???<br><br>

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 9:47 am 

[ftp][/ftp] <br>That's a good answer; thanks.<br>

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 4:47 pm 

It was 23 years ago this very day (February 25, 1980) that I saw PF perform The Wall at Nassau Coliseum, NY...truly a one-of-a kind show...so many great (and surreal) moments and images...but the image that to this day remains more indelibly burned into my brain than any, is that of David Gilmour standing alone on top of that 30 foot high wall singing the choruses to Comfortably Numb and then ripping those solos...an ALL TIME CONCERT MOMENT!

>You don't.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:13 am 

[quote author=sleeping_in_a_jar link=board=general;num=1046087406;start=0#8 date=02/25/03 at 18:47:11]It was 23 years ago this very day (February 25, 1980) that I saw PF perform The Wall at Nassau Coliseum, NY...truly a one-of-a kind show...so many great (and surreal) moments and images...but the image that to this day remains more indelibly burned into my brain than any, is that of David Gilmour standing alone on top of that 30 foot high wall singing the choruses to Comfortably Numb and then ripping those solos...an ALL TIME CONCERT MOMENT![/quote] I saw Pink Floyd in 1994  (I was 17) in Modena (Italy). In that period Pink Floyd was my mania, my only cult-band (I had also a pretty big love for Dire Straits) and, of course, they were the soundtrack of my life. After 12 hours (I arrived in the place of the concert at 9 a.m.) they started with Shine on you crazy diamond... my mind run fastly through a thousand of moments of my life and I cried ten thousands tears, full of emotions.<br>It's been a marvallous show with 70.000 people. I will never forget my emotions but now I wanna realize what is their music compared with other composers. Thanks  sleeping_in_a_jar.<br><br>Ciao

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 6:39 am 

[quote author=sleeping_in_a_jar link=board=general;num=1046087406;start=0#8 date=02/25/03 at 18:47:11]It was 23 years ago this very day (February 25, 1980) that I saw PF perform The Wall at Nassau Coliseum, NY...truly a one-of-a kind show...so many great (and surreal) moments and images...but the image that to this day remains more indelibly burned into my brain than any, is that of David Gilmour standing alone on top of that 30 foot high wall singing the choruses to Comfortably Numb and then ripping those solos...an ALL TIME CONCERT MOMENT![/quote]<br><br>I can't wait for one of those ''The Wall 1980-81'' shows to finally appear on DVD...<br>I've heard they are working on it, but it seems as if the folks of the Floyd aren't that happy with the quality of the sound and video of the shows that have been taped...<br>I guess we will just have to wait what the future brings us, meanwhile i just remember the ONE Floyd show i have ever seen.:<br>It was in 1994, in Rotterdam and i was 11 years old, it was my first ever concert and what a concert it was.<br>My jaw layed on the floor for 2 hours and i had goosebumps all over my body: all those sounds, all the light and of course the music !!!<br>To bad the Floyd will never perform live again....<br>

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 6:42 am 

Talking about coincidence:<br><br>I was watching an episode of the X-Files 2 days ago and it was about this weird guy who was part human part bug...<br>During the entire episode he wore a Syd Barret T-shirt, his room was filled with Syd Barret posters and there was even some Syd Barret music being played in that episode...<br>Would Chris Carter be a fan ???

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:58 pm 

[quote author=Arkay link=board=general;num=1046087406;start=0#14 date=02/26/03 at 10:29:39]<br><br>So, back... [quote]<br><br>I agree in what you say about Syd. Anyway I think that after Meddle Pink Floyd took a new way, pretty indipendent from Syd. The Wall maybe isn't the greatest Floyd-Waters album but is the arriving point of the after-Syd work in progress. Barrett was a composer but he's been a flash. In first two albums you can find out great ideas but we can't know what Barrett would become later. I think is just like FZ would wrote only Freak Out!. We can understand the importance of Freak Out! listening at Hot Rats, Joe's garage or Yellow Shark. If we hadn't the other albums we would consider Freak Out! just like The Piper... : a great mix of ideas, specially for the 60ies.<br><br>Ciao<br> <br>

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 2:07 pm 

[quote author=Dirty_Love link=board=general;num=1046087406;start=15#19 date=05/17/03 at 11:46:12]<br>And I discoverd bands like Beatles,,, Led Zeppelin,,, The Who,,, Bob Marley,,,Black Sabbath,,, David Bowie,,, King Crimson,,, Yes and much more and I yust keep on finding new ones all the time.<br>And the newest artist i have discovered is FZ Thanx to Floyd.<br>If it hadent been for them meby I whuld still be lisening to todays shit music and never discovered all this great bands.<br>They opened my music mind.<br><br>.[/quote]<br><br>That's a mirror to me! You have described my musical-life talking about yourself... Of course I'm 26, so I started with other bands, not Korn. <br><br>Ciao<br>

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 8:23 am 

I appreciate Syd Barrett's creative genius but the reality is that he was only with the band for the first album (Piper) before being kicked out.  They continued in the same vein over the next while until Atom Heart Mother.<br><br>Undoubtably (as some here  have mentioned) Meddle was the first album that defined the classic sound that would become fully realized on Dark Side (although I think the "intermediate" album Obscurred By Clouds is vastly underrated).  I think that they peaked as a group on Wish You Were Here which I liked better than DOSTM.  "Have A Cigar" is great in its blasting of record industry ethics.<br><br>From Animals onward, the quality of the effort (including much of The Wall) deteriorated because Roger Waters confiscated total creative control and there was a lot of infighting (with Richard Wright getting fired -was it drugs or primarily a personality conflict with Waters?)   He's a fantastic lyricist but did not have Gilmour (and Wright's) talent when it came to the instrumental side.   The band only was great when it had that balance.    The Wall was great in several spots but much of it was below par from previous efforts.  As a concept album about angst/alienation, I'd rank The Who's Quadrophenia ahead of it.<br><br>The Final Cut was as far from classic Floyd as anything.  And the Water-less Floyd (dominated by Gilmour) didn't do much better.  Momentary Lapse of Reason was as bad as Final Cut (pathetic the way Gilmour had to recruit other artists for "creative" input) although Division Bell was a much stronger effort musically (though not lyrically coming near classic Floyd) in that Gilmour brought Wright back as a full-time contributor to the songs.<br><br>As for Roger Waters, his solo work has been mixed.  Pros & Cons of Hitchhiking was OK but nothing special and I never really got into Radio Kaos.  But I loved The Body & Amused to Death.   Amused to Death is in my opinion better than The Wall in that he was somehow able to incorporate more of the "ethereal" elements of DSOTM/Wish You Were Here  with his best lyrics ever (Waters has himself said that he considers Amused to Death the 3rd part of a trilogy beginning with DSOTM & The Wall).  In particular, songs like Bravery of Being Out of Range, Amused to Death, Perfect Sense and Its a Miracle spoke to some of the themes addressed by FZ without the  auto-biographical catharsis of Waters'.  I also like his first solo effort (with Ron Geesin) "The Body".  Many of the tracks have a Chrome Plated Megaphone/Lumpy Gravy feel to them (without the dialogue).    I saw Waters on his solo tour 3 years ago and liked it better than the concert I saw with the Floyd in '94.  

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 4:39 pm 

I used to love Pink Floyd but when I found Zappa I kind of left them by the wayside. I feel guilty but Its only very occasionally I ever get a PF cd out, and its usually early era Syd Barret stuff. I do have a soft spot for Animals... Actually I think Im talking shite! The more I think about it I love them all, i've just never listened to them enough over the past few years.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 5:00 pm 

Quote:
<br>Oh, come on. AMLOR is an excellent album. What don't you like?<br>
<br><br>I'll go through the songs you mentioned.  Learning to Fly is a good top-40 pop song but  by no means measures up to the Floydian standards I grew to love.  On the Turning Away never grew on me despite repetitve listenings.  I have to agree that Sorrow was excellent.  I heard it live in person in '94 and have live versions from Delicate Sound of Thunder & Pulse.  Terminal Frost is OK but can it seriously be compared to Great Gig in the Sky, Any Color You Like  or the instrumental segments of Echoes & Shine On?   Those 4 classic songs were Gilmour/Wright collaborations on the instrumental side.  In fact I'd take Mudmen from Obscured by Clouds over Terminal Frost.  Lastly, I like the blues solos on What Do You Want From Me (Div. Bell) better than Dogs of War.<br><br>As for the other stuff, A New Machine (I & II) are filler and I never really got much out of One Slip.  Yet Another Movie is weak.<br><br>In my previous post I mentioned Obscurred by Clouds which was their most underrated/overlooked album (coming between Meddle & DSOTM and composed as the soundtrack for the film La Vallee).  In my opinion its  a much stronger effort than Momentary Lapse of Reason.  I hightly recommend a comparative listening.<br><br>
Quote:
...although Division Bell was a much stronger effort musically (though not lyrically coming near classic Floyd) in that Gilmour brought Wright back as a full-time contributor to the songs.  <br> <br>Yep! And Rick's collaboration on Wearing The Inside Out is one of Floyd's best ever written songs! <br>
<br><br>I'll assume your response is sarcastic, but I was referring to Gilmour/Wright collaborations.   I never said that Wright SOLO compositions (like Wearing the Inside Out) were anything special...with the exception of Great Gig in the Sky of course.  ;)  But the Gilmour/Wright instrumental Marooned is one of the best Floyd instrumentals ever and hands down the best track (in my opinion) on Division Bell.   The guitar solo is probably the best since Comfortably Numb and the background keyboards are nearly as good as Great Gig.  Gilmour/Wright compositions represent other strong songs on the album:  Cluster One (instrumental), What Do You Want from Me & Keep Talking.  Gilmour himself has himself said that Momentary Lapse of Reason was "rushed" because of the legal disputes with Waters and the pressure to release a new album when they were allowed to procede without Roger.  He thought of Division Bell as much superior  and credits Wright's artistic contribution (as a full member rather than contract player) for a large part of this.<br><br>
Quote:
ATD is the only album Roger ever released that I love as well. But you think it's better than The Wall? WTF!  I guess so...
<br><br>Yes I do.  The Wall is stronger in several areas but has several weaknesses.  The music is compromised by Waters use of this "concept" album as a forum for autobiographical catharsis.    The best songs: Comfortably Numb (no brainer), Hey You, Young Lust, One of My Turns, The Thin Ice, The Happiest Days of Our Lives, Mother & Run Like Hell.   I have mixed/ambivalent feelings about: Waiting for the Worms, The Trial & Nobody Home - all great lyrical efforts but weak musically.   Why are their 2 versions of In the Flesh?   I'll have to go against the grain and say that I don't like Another Brick in the Wall (any version although the guitar solo at the end of part 2 is good).  Is there Anybody Out There & Goodbye Blue Sky are OK but don't measure up to my expectations of great Floyd songs.  Bring the Boys Back Home is horrible with the only saving grace occurring AT THE END in the sense that it has the same kind of *theme* build-up (before Comfortably Numb) that Speak to Me does (before Breathe on DSOTM).  Empty Spaces, Goodbye Cruel World, Vera,  Stop & Outside the Wall are just filler material (similar to The Final Cut).  The Show Must Go On is good as a Beach Boys parody but grows tiresome.  <br><br>On the other hand, Amused to Death is with a few exceptions strong from start to finish.   It didn't hurt to have Jeff Beck on guitar either....and unlike The Wall Water's vocals  (which dominated The Wall....another change from classic Floyd which began with his band take-over during the Animals period) were easier to listen to & didn't hurt the effort.   And his lyrics didn't contain self-pitying autobiographical emotional baggage (The Wall, The Final Cut) but rather general social/political commentary (like DSOTM)....which I much prefer.<br><br>
Quote:
<br>I saw Waters on his solo tour 3 years ago and liked it better than the concert I saw with the Floyd in '94.    <br> <br>You have to be joking?   <br>
<br><br>Its all a matter of taste.  The best part of the '94 tour was going through the DSOTM tracks...but they weren't nearly as strong live as in the studio...and I felt that Roger actually did a better job with them.  He played a large amoung of PF stuff along with his Amused to Death material and I just found his renditions better.  You might want to compare Delicate Sound of Thunder & Pulse against his 2000 tour release In the Flesh.  At any rate, its all a matter of personal preference...much like comparing versions of FZ's touring bands.  :)<br><br>

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next