Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 192 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:12 am 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:13 am 

I did cards with Fortran, it was a pain in the butt. I then used what I had learned to write some programs in Basic to handle my thesis data. It was an unusual study in organic chemistry, not theoretical! ...that required some math. You did not even have spread sheets to the general public then to buy. I typed it on an Atari age desk computer my professor had. You could play Space Invaders in black and white. Programs were stored on cassettes, results printed on dot matrix printer. I had to hand draw the graphs, as dot matrix printout was not acceptable for thesis data. I paid the department secretary a dollar a page to type 300 pages. No, not the nice one, Bonnie, she married some Indian professor guy (he was OK), the other one. I was almost ready to ask Bonnie out, then I saw the boyfriend outside one day.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BASIC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:00 pm 

Looks like we lived the Dark Ages of IT
8)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:28 pm 

Since we're all working remote, very few on site, there's a big push on web meetings, eLearning, Technical Tuesdays, and on and on...

Then some desk got the idea that video interactive contact would help keep us mentally well balanced while in isolation,
and so the desks below got on board...

So now there's a big push on video facial contact in all meetings and web trainings to help our mental health, they're all switchin to Microsoft Teams...

...and I've been on vacation during the above transition...

So I bought a Spiderman costume, and that's how I'm going to everything when I get back :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:15 pm 

$49.45 ?
Not cheap. Hope it will worth it !

8)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:19 am 

As in other parts of the globe, locally with the lack of vehicular and pedestrian traffic
on the streets the animals are now popping out of the bush to see what's going on.

The area we live in is quite rural so it's not unusual to see the occasional goat lurking around,
however this morning there were no less than a dozen or so goats grazing on our front lawn.
A guy I work with had a four or five deer strolling down his street, thankfully we don't have
bears foxes or wolves in this country.....

There have also been reports of extremely rare native bird sightings around the central city.....

Kiwi caught on video wandering around resident's
kitchen on Little Barrier Island

Georgia Forrester 20:39, April 9th, 2020.

DOC/ Screenshot from video
A kiwi was caught wandering around a kitchen on Little Barrier Island.

A kiwi has been caught breaking social isolation rules by walking around someone's kitchen.

The bird was filmed walking around a Department of Conservation (DOC) ranger's house on Little Barrier Island.

DOC posted the video to its Instagram page and said that the teenage kiwi invited himself in to have a little nosy around the local resident's home.

The post read that: Communication channels can be pretty hit and miss on Te Hauturu-o-Toi/Little Barrier Island Nature Reserve and someone clearly didn't pass the memo onto this kiwi that social distancing be applied between Kiwis not in your 'bubble'."

"The rangers did not want to stress the bird by attempting to catch it, so they quietly stood by and watched to see what it would do next. The kiwi casually made its way through the dining room and kitchen, before slowly heading out the kitchen door, down the ramp, and back into the forest.

"Kiwi are normally nocturnal, but it is not uncommon to see them during the day. On Hauturu, the rangers had recently seen kiwi drinking from their garden pond due to recent dry conditions. Their observations concluded that this kiwi was neither distressed nor dehydrated, just curious.

"A day later they found the kiwi in their garden dining on a centipede."

"It's occurrences like these that highlight why Hauturu is considered to be one of the most important reserves of its kind in the world," A DOC blog post about the kiwi said.

Stuff

Go here to see the video of this little cutie out for a walk :arrow: https://www.stuff.co.nz/environment/120 ... ier-island

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:41 am 

Mij wrote:
$49.45 ?

8)

Musta posted the wrong link, mine was $27 USD.

I'm gonna wear it bike riding sometimes too, the kid's will flip out, "I saw Spiderman," they'll be tellin' each other and on the lookout for me lol.

Riding every day, (I'm usually in my safety lime yellow), everybody has seen me...I don't know how many times I hear (over the decades), I saw you on your bike last week...Heard it a hundred times Alice :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:12 am 

baddy wrote:
Mij wrote:
$49.45 ?

8)

I'm gonna wear it bike riding sometimes too, the kid's will flip out, "I saw Spiderman," they'll be tellin' each other and on the lookout for me lol.

Riding every day, (I'm usually in my safety lime yellow), everybody has seen me...I don't know how many times I hear (over the decades), I saw you on your bike last week...Heard it a hundred times Alice :)

Great Idea! I wore a spiderman mask to the store recently and plan to do it again the next time I go out! Your link took me to the $27 version as well. That $49.95 might be Canadian prices or something. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:11 am 

baddy wrote:
Mij wrote:
$49.45 ?

8)

I just clicked on your link.
But, yeah, it directed me to Amazon.ca (Canada).
:P

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:05 pm 

Mask or Beard?

Beard Wins.....by a hair

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:16 am 

Hello (from the inside)
Stayin' inside
My corona
Quaranqueen
I want to know what day it is
:wink:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:53 am 

Paul Simon
Me and Julio dancing by the school yard
Rosie, the queen of Corona...

Neil Young with Crazy Horse - Shut It Down 2020 (Official Music Video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeLdjvH57z4

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:39 am 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:02 am 

Steve Sack

Mike Luckovich

Frank Hansen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:48 am 

Our supreme leader (Macron) announced last night that we'll be confined until may 11th. However, bars, restaurants, and concert venues, will be closed at least until early july…..

At least my guitar chops are getting better.

Stay safe e1.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:15 am 

Hang in there TA2!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:45 am 

Walt Handelsman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:26 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:43 am 

^^^^^ that is exactly what I'm doing ^^^^^

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:10 am 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:35 am 

Chanting ‘lock her up,’ Michigan protesters waving Trump flags mass against Gov. Gretchen Whitmer’s coronavirus restrictions

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/04/16/michigan-whitmer-conservatives-protest/

By
Meagan Flynn
April 16, 2020 at 5:39 a.m. PDT

If all roads in Michigan lead to the state capitol, conservative protesters on Wednesday made sure they were closed.

For miles, thousands of drivers clogged the streets to demand Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer (D) ease restrictions and allow them to go back to work. They drowned downtown Lansing, Mich., in a cacophony of honking. They blared patriotic songs from car radios, waving all sorts of flags from the windows — President Trump flags, American flags and the occasional Confederate flag.

But in the massive demonstration against Whitmer’s stay-at-home executive order — which they have argued is excessive and beyond her authority — the pleas from organizers that protesters to stay in their vehicles went unheeded. Many got out of their cars and crashed the front lawn of the capitol building, with some chanting, “Lock her up!” and “We will not comply!”

This #OperationGridlock is looking similar to a Trump rally. There are a lot of MAGA/KAGA attire and flags. pic.twitter.com/zksQJBoWfw
— Mikenzie Frost (@MikenzieFrost) April 15, 2020

“Do you think [Whitmer] is listening?” Breitbart News reporter Kyle Olson asked one of the organizers, Meshawn Maddock, a leader of the Michigan Conservative Coalition, on Facebook Live.

“Oh my God, how could she not be listening to this?” Maddock responded, adding, “There’s no reason why right now today she couldn’t come out and say, ‘Michigan, I hear you, and it’s time to get workers back to working.’ ”

The governor had heard plenty. She responded to the demonstration during her Wednesday news conference, saying she was “disappointed” in the mostly mask-less protesters outside and those in cars who affected bus service and even blocked an ambulance (which the organizers denied).

Whitmer said the protesters might have just made the situation worse in a state already dealing with more than 28,000 confirmed cases of coronavirus, the third-worst in the nation. The protest, called “Operation Gridlock,” “endangered people’s lives," she said.

“We know that this demonstration is going to come at a cost to people’s health,” Whitmer said. “We know that when people gather that way without masks … that’s how covid-19 spreads. And so the sad irony here is that the protest was that they don’t like being in this stay-at-home order, and they may have just created a need to lengthen it, which is something we’re trying to avoid at all costs.”

Coming on the heels of similar protests in Ohio and North Carolina, it was probably the largest showing to date of conservative pushback against social distancing restrictions — and perhaps a preview of what’s to come.

The Michigan Conservative Coalition and Michigan Freedom Fund — founded by Greg McNeilly, political adviser to the family of Education Secretary Betsy DeVos — planned the protest following Whitmer’s executive order last Thursday that expanded existing restrictions. Becoming one of the stricter stay-at-home measures in the country, Whitmer’s order intended to minimize unnecessary travel as much as possible. But some conservatives, including state lawmakers, argued it went too far and was inconsistent.

Confused shoppers found they could buy liquor and lottery tickets on a trip to the grocery store, but couldn’t visit the vegetable seed aisle or gardening center. The order required large stores to shut down plant nurseries and rope off sections where carpet, flooring and paint were sold, provisions that conservatives found both arbitrary and harmful to business owners.

The response in Michigan was aggressive. Residents started a Facebook group called “Michiganders Against Excessive Quarantine,” and some filed a lawsuit. A letter to Whitmer from six Republican members of Congress from Michigan said Whitmer was “needlessly shutting down large sectors of the economy and further restricting the lives of residents.”

Right-wing media joined in the chorus. Tucker Carlson of Fox News described Whitmer’s actions as “petty authoritarianism,” accusing her of putting on a show in an effort to be former vice president Joe Biden’s running mate. On Wednesday, Rush Limbaugh, a conservative talk-show host and Trump favorite, applauded the protesters, saying Democrats like Whitmer are “being coached by Nancy Pelosi and [Charles E.] Schumer to push this harder than they might normally feel is appropriate.”

Local law enforcement on Wednesday even joined the conservative criticism, as four county sheriffs wrote an open letter informing residents they would not be “strictly” enforcing Whitmer’s new order.

“While we understand her desire to protect the public, we question some restrictions that she has imposed as overstepping her executive authority,” the sheriffs of Leelanau, Benzie, Manistee and Mason counties wrote, while still encouraging people to follow social distancing rules. “She has created a vague framework of emergency laws that only confuse Michigan citizens.”

The political pressure Whitmer has faced to ease restrictions is starting to play out nationwide, especially as governors start coordinating plans for a safe reopening of the economy.

As The Washington Post reported earlier this week, conservative groups such as the Heritage Foundation and American Legislative Exchange Council are urging GOP lawmakers and the White House to push back against public health experts in a bid to reopen the economy as quickly as possible.

“A lot of Republicans and conservatives feel there might be an overreaction to all of this,” tea party organizer Richard Viguerie told The Post’s Jeff Stein and Robert Costa. “We’re all anxious to get back. Conservatives feel the government has overreacted, and it’s got to end.”

Elsewhere, protests similar to the one in Michigan played out in North Carolina and Ohio, as conservative protesters swarmed the capitol grounds to urge Govs. Roy Cooper (D) and Mike DeWine (R), respectively, to ease restrictions and reopen the economy. In Ohio, some in MAGA gear pressed themselves up against the windows of the Capitol building, photos in the Columbus Dispatch show.

Maddock, the leader of the Michigan Conservative Coalition who also campaigns for Trump, told Fox News she hoped Whitmer would see every car that attended Wednesday’s protest as representing a family out of job, struggling to pay bills and the *SPAM*.

Asked by a reporter what she might say to those families, Whitmer said she had thought of them while signing the stay-at-home order, knowing it would hurt businesses and families. But, she said, “I also know it is absolutely necessary with the path that we are on,” cautioning that carelessly rushing to lift restrictions too soon would leave the state’s economy worse off in the long run.

“I’m not focusing on politics,” she said. “I’m trying to save lives here. We have to remember the enemy is the virus. Not one another.”

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:46 am 

HEY ! Why not let all those morons have their way ???
They would eliminate themselves in doing so. There would be less morons in USA.
Less morons equal less votes for Trump next November.
A win-win situation !

YEAH, LET THOSE MORONS CATCH THE DISEASE AND SOME OF THEM WILL DIE.
Always a pleasure the see fools being victims of their own stupidity.
Sorry for the innocents, really. But no one is forcing them to act like they do.
:smoke:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:59 pm 

music recording under confinement:
Somewhere Over The Rainbow - acoustic cover ft. Expensive Magnets (Genevieve Artadi & Pedro Martins)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:29 pm 

^ :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:50 am 

Lumpy Gravy wrote:
I'm still working full time. my workplace is considered an "essential financial service".
the people who can do their work from home, are doing so. does not apply to me, though.
they take our temperature (laser gun to the forehead) every morning in the parking lot, even before we get out of our cars.
the whole place smells of lysol and bleach. there are hand sanitizers and clorox wipes everywhere.
as for now, I guess I consider myself lucky to work in an environment, where the employer is doing everything they can to keep us safe.
mrs. gravy is already retired. she's happy that she doesn't have to leave the house.
Lumpy Gravy wrote:
well, a couple of people have quit for fear of the virus, and some have used all their sick leave and vacation time and stayed at home for a couple of weeks now.
but, the rest of us keep working, and today we received some good news from management; we are all getting a ten percent pay raise, as a thank you for showing up to work and doing what we are supposed to.
of course, it's a temporary raise, though. when all this is over, they'll take it away from us... but, still, it felt like a nice reward for going in every day.
it seems like a couple of people get sent home every day after having their temperature taken, and they are encouraged to go and get tested.
so far, I have been under the critical limit every morning.

and, now the governor of our state announced a mandatory wearing of masks, starting tomorrow. you will have to wear one in grocery stores, liquor stores, fast food places and on public transportation.

I don't have a mask, but mrs. gravy pulled out some bandanas from her dresser, so I guess I'll have to use one of those. mrs. gravy does not leave the house, unless she really has to.

but, I won't have to wear a bandana for that long, since my workplace ordered masks for us yesterday, which we will receive in about a week and a half. washable cloth masks.

it's going to be 'wear-your-mask-to-work'-day every day after that, and we will be free to use them outside of work as well, of course.

we will also be able to get additional masks for family members at a low cost.

Last edited by Lumpy Gravy on Fri May 08, 2020 2:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 192 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next