Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:15 pm 

Lumpy Gravy wrote:
lapsed maps wrote:
ok...
1. i never had a breathing problem until i started wearing the mask.
it still feels awkward and uncomfortable.
2. i find it more difficult to hear/understand what people wearing masks are saying to me.
3. i miss facial expressions.

agreed.

Caputh wrote:
My major problems are that ...
a) I have nice colleagues who keep on sewing masks for staff that tend to fall off, as my ears are the wrong shape. I am too polite to not wear them, but wish that I didn't have to.
b) Sometimes my glasses steam up when I wear a mask, sometimes they don't. I have yet to discover and remember the exact position of the mask to exclude the possibility that my glasses might steam up.
c) My glasses tend to fall off if I am wearing a mask. This means I run through the supermarket, tilting my head like a premenstrual Maria Callas.

my workplace ordered masks for us, and I guess they are ok (meaning they serve their purpose), but most of us at work can't stand wearing them.
and, I have the same problem as you, caputh, with my glasses steaming up, and trying to adjust those straps behind my ears, without making my glasses fall off...
most of us are just letting the mask cover our mouths, even though we are supposed to cover our noses too.
it's just really frustrating... and, are they really necessary? do we really need them?... I doubt it...

Agree on all fronts!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:28 am 

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ 8)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:40 am 

Gov. Brown to release some inmates to slow virus spread

In the letter to the director of the DOC, Brown recognized the overwhelming challenge of enforcing social distancing in a prison setting.

Posted: Jun 13, 2020 7:35 PM
Updated: Jun 13, 2020 11:48 PM
Posted By: Jillian Smukler

https://www.kezi.com/content/news/Gov-Brown-to-release-some-inmates-to-slow-virus-spread-571245131.html

PORTLAND, Ore. --- Oregon Gov. Kate Brown has asked for a list of names by June 22 of inmates eligible for possible release to limit the spread of COVID-19 in the state prison system.

The request marks a turning point for the governor who has previously refused to release inmates in response to the pandemic and comes as Oregon faces a spike of coronavirus cases.

In the letter to the director of the DOC, Brown recognized the overwhelming challenge of enforcing social distancing in a prison setting.

The state Department of Corrections was asked to perform an analysis of inmates who are vulnerable to the coronavirus and meet the outlined criteria for possible commutation.

Be particularly vulnerable to COVID-19, as identified by DOC medical staff.
Not be serving a sentence for a person crime.
Have served at least 50% of their sentence.
Have a record of good conduct for the last 12 months.
Have a suitable housing plan.
Have their out-of-custody health care needs assessed and adequately addressed.
Not present an unacceptable safety, security, or compliance risk to the community.

Inmates eligible for commutation will be required to take a COVID-19 test before being released. If a person shows symptoms or tests positive for the virus, they’ll be ineligible for released and immediately isolated. Once that person no longer shows symptoms and tests negative for the virus, they will again be eligible for early release, Brown said.

The Oregon State Penitentiary in Salem has confirmed more than 100 inmates and several employees have tested positive for COVID-19. Three other prisons also have confirmed cases.

The Oregon Justice Resource Center said the governor’s decision is long overdue.

“Governor Brown has now recognized what we have been saying for months: COVID-19 poses a serious threat to the health of all who live and work in Oregon’s prisons. Prisons are not an environment where it is possible to achieve the physical distancing needed to reduce the spread of disease unless we reduce the number of people incarcerated,” said Bobbin Singh, executive director of the OJRC.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:54 am 

I had fever and headache for a week. So I talked to the doctor in the family and he said I should get tested. It was a trip to 20 miles away. Test came negative for coronavirus, but the governor got an outfit that is only getting some 60-70% of the actual cases. People with comtinued symptoms went to a hospital that charges insurance for their test.

My wife never got sick so I and my brother in law, the doctor, decided it was another virus or even a fungus. Like the one Dylan had in 1997.

Had been outdoors every day in May. Was out for an hour walk yesterday. All travel is canceled, so I won't get any West coast birds for my lists.

We may go canoeing in Missouri in a month, stay with my daughter. But I never liked the outdoors in Missouri in Jul and Aug when we lived there.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:11 am 

Tero wrote:
We may go canoeing in Missouri in a month, stay with my daughter. But I never liked the outdoors in Missouri in Jul and Aug when we lived there.

Missouri summers are brutal! Between the bugs, humidity, heat, and ignorance, I found this state to be completely unlivable.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:50 am 

My outdoor activities were about 9-10 months. I liked campouts with boyscouts in May. I was a bit bored so I started birdwatching. I bicycled spring and fall, and the odd trip in winter. The suburban drivers were unpleasant to bicyclists.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:07 am 

I was laid off in April.
Got my UI benefits in May.
I don't expect to be called back.
Don't really care to work in LA County anyway.
Don't feel safe there.

Used my Alice Cooper concert rkefund to buy some audio and video.
Rush 40 anniv. 2cd boxes:
Hemispheres & Permanant Waves
Jeff Beck, JBG orange album & You Had It Coming
Beer For Dolphins, Half Alive in Hollywood
Utopia, Live at The Old Waldorf 78
King Crimson: Meltdown Live in Mexico 2017 CD/Blu ray.

I also have Hot Rats Sessions & Orchestral Favorites 40th Anniv. in the iPod.

Laying low mostly.
Waxing the truck.
Playing a few rounds of disc golf every 3 or 4 days.
Playing lots of bass guitar.
The 4th of July gig is on!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:42 am 

Glad your back Bro...Sounds good, what are you playing on the 4th?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:16 pm 

bass guitar... duh.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:33 pm 

I guess he meant... what songs are you playing ?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:51 pm 

Louie Louie (a reggae version) :lol:

Hang in there DaveO'

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:51 pm 

We like it loud too, you know!

(raunchy West Coast Pop Art bootleg lp version)

(Help I'm a Rock - raunchy West Coast Pop Art version)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:15 pm 

Mij wrote:
I guess he meant... what songs are you playing ?

ok,

all covers... duh.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:35 am 

So, it probably means anything in the Rock domain from 1954 to 2020, let alone anything too weird like Zappa.
With a preference for dancable music.
Things that will please a broad public.
:smoke: 8)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:42 am 

as james hetfield has said far too many times... sad but true,
and that makes this:
Mij wrote:
Things that will please a broad public

a deal breaker.

sorry guys, i won't be going to this one.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:59 am 

Dave's Life Matters

Support the Dave-O

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:45 am 

Plook should have wrote:
Dave's Life hasn't mattered (to me) for 3 months now,
but now that he's back... HEY DUDEBRO MAN! GLAD YOU'RE BACK! MISSED YA!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:15 pm 

lapsed maps wrote:
Plook should have wrote:
Dave's Life hasn't mattered (to me) for 3 months now,
but now that he's back... HEY DUDEBRO MAN! GLAD YOU'RE BACK! MISSED YA!

Now that is Fake News...when did you turn into Kelley Ann Conway LM... :?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:34 pm 

there is nothing fake about honest journalism, plewk.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:54 pm 

ImageImage
ImageImage

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:06 pm 

lapsed maps wrote:
there is nothing fake about honest journalism, plewk.

Honest journalism...Yes cut and past with a dash of white out... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:33 pm 

my method of voicing my opinion does not allude to it's factuality or lack there of.

come awn, sillie plewk, focus on the statement itself.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:22 am 

lapsed maps wrote:
my method of voicing my opinion does not allude to it's factuality or lack there of.

come awn, sillie plewk, focus on the statement itself.

Oh it is funny, but I have been known to miss the deeper meaning of something, just ask my Guru... :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:31 am 

For 7 Oregon Counties, 7 Takes On Mandatory Masks
by Erin Ross OPB June 25, 2020 6 a.m. | Portland, Ore.

https://www.opb.org/news/article/oregon-covid-19-mask-mandate-7-counties/

Oregon Gov. Kate Brown’s order that people in seven counties should wear masks when doing business took effect Wednesday, but it was each county to decide how to implement the new rules.

That means what the mandate entails and how it will be enforced will depend on which county you’re in.

Brown has said that a mask mandate would be “enforceable,” but that people wouldn’t get arrested or get a ticket if they entered a business without a mask on. Counties say they have received no additional guidance on how to enforce the rules. That’s left Marion, Polk, Lincoln, Hood River, Multnomah, Clackamas and Washington counties to decide how best to implement the order.

Research shows that mask wearing can dramatically reduce the transmission of the coronavirus, which causes the exponentially spreading disease, COVID-19. One fewer infection early on means dozens fewer down the line.

The governor’s order mandates masks in most indoor businesses and public spaces, including bars and restaurants. While eating or drinking, masks can be removed. To increase compliance, businesses will be required to provide masks to the public. Children under the age of twelve, people with disabilities, and people with health conditions that could be exacerbated by a mask are exempt from the rule.

If someone refuses to wear one and is not a part of those groups, the business is supposed to offer them a mask or deny service.

Clackamas County prioritizes education, not enforcement

Kimberly Dinwiddie, a public information officer for Clackamas County, said that county has no plans to enforce the mask mandate on an individual level.

“It is within our authority to enforce that compliance,” she said. “However, the county is not going to go issue citations to individuals. Our enforcement will be education-based at first, and focused on the setting and establishments that aren’t complying.”

Establishments that don’t require masks will be provided with education materials or given help acquiring masks. If they still refuse to comply, legal action might be taken. But that’s a last resort, Dinwiddie said.

Lincoln County mandates more than the minimum

Lincoln County expanded on Brown’s order slightly. Facing a growing outbreak thought to have originated at a food-processing plant in Newport, Oregon, county commissioners expanded the mandate to include public outdoor spaces when social distancing isn’t possible.

Multnomah County encourages masks with friends

Multnomah County Public Health Director Rachel Banks said people are being encouraged to wear masks in private gatherings, too.

“When most people think of COVID-19, they think of ‘stranger danger,’” Banks said. That is, most regulations so far have been aimed at preventing COVID-19 spread in places where you meet strangers. “But what we’re really seeing here is social-network spread and close-contact spread, so we’d like to encourage people to wear face coverings even around people they know.”

Multnomah County has consistently advocated against any kind of mask-wearing mandate. Local leaders have stated that while mask wearing is a key part of COVID-19 prevention, the county will not be enforcing those rules.

“We think that education and access are much better tools than enforcement,” Banks said.

Since the beginning of the outbreak, Multnomah County and other government bodies have been communicating with groups representing communities of color about mask use. Many people of color, particularly Black men, have expressed concerns that they face a greater risk of violence and racial profiling when they wear masks.

Protecting people of color from harassment

Additionally, advocates for people of color raised concerns that any legally-enforced mask mandate could serve as another avenue toward overpolicing or harassment.

“We have communities across the country and here locally, who are really asking us to think about enforcement on a meta-level. And don’t want to add another thing where people could experience disproportionate enforcement,” Banks said.

Oregon’s public health leaders have generally agreed that racism is a public health issue. Because of that, Lincoln County added people of color to the list of those who may choose not to wear a mask for health reasons.

Officials in Lincoln County echo the reasoning behind Multnomah and Clackamas counties’ decisions to not enforce the mandate on an individual level.

“We really need to ensure that we’re not stigmatizing that behavior, or having biased thoughts or actions to POC who are wearing masks,” Dinwiddie said, using a common acronym for “people of color.”

“And there are biased crime laws in Oregon, and people need to be aware of that,” Dinwiddie said.

But Lincoln County’s decision was met with outrage from the conservative right, after headlines declaring that they had issued a mask mandate that “only applies to white people” or that “people of color are exempt from mandatory mask policy” circulated nationally.

The stories — and social media commentary — spread despite the easily-provable fact that Lincoln County had also decided not to enforce the mask mandate on an individual level, stating “violation of the directive does not constitute or create grounds for private persons or public employees, including law enforcement, to stop, detain, issue a citation or undertake any other enforcement action.”

“We are shocked and appalled at the volume of horrifically racist commentary we have received regarding this policy exception,” Lincoln County leaders said Wednesday in a statement. “The vitriol that county leadership, staff, and community partners have been subjected to is unprecedented.”

“The expressions of racism regarding the exception has created a ripple of fear throughout our communities of color. The very policy meant to protect them, is now making them a target for further discrimination and harassment,” said the commissioners. In response, some communities of color asked Lincoln County to remove the exception, and it complied.

Multnomah County’s Banks said she and other health leaders want to encourage businesses not to use face-covering guidance as a way to unfairly deny non-mask wearers of needed services.

Banks also asked that people avoid policing each other, or demanding to know why someone isn’t wearing a mask. Bothering strangers, she said, is not the way to promote mask use.

“It’s really important that members of the public understand that not everybody has the ability to wear a mask. So we really need to insure that we’re not stigmatizing that behavior and denying service to the disabled, or having biased thoughts or actions to people of color who are wearing masks,” Dinwiddie said. And if people of color are targeted or harassed for not wearing masks, or if the police are called on people of color who are not wearing masks, the harassers “would be subject to law enforcement.”

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:44 pm 

so, my workplace confirmed (in an email last night) that we have one case of the corona virus.

from the info we got today, apparently a woman left work on monday, not feeling well, and, late yesterday afternoon, she called in and said that she had been tested positive for covid 19.
immediately, her department was shut down, and cleaned according to cdc regulations. and, the people that she came in most contact with, have been instructed to stay home and self quarantine for two weeks (with full pay), and they have been encouraged to get tested.
and, early this morning, all the common areas were cleaned and sprayed down (again... they do it all the time). the lobby, rest rooms, break rooms, etc.

not surprisingly, her department was somewhat chaotic today. and, they moved some of their workload around.
not, to me, though. I'm on a 35 hour week now, remember? I don't want their shit...8)

I am not too worried either, for myself and my coworkers. we hardly ever have anything to do with anyone in that room, anyway.

but, still...the virus entered the building...

so, it's keep your mask on, use the hand sanitizers, and wash your hands...

Last edited by Lumpy Gravy on Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next