Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:31 am 

Here in Lyon we've been confined since Tuesday noon. I'm on half pay working from home. The weather has been incredible and we are very priviledged to have a large rooftop terasse. The streets are almost empty, still some people don't get it. The latest news is that we'll be confined until at least the second half of April. It's a unique event, and we're having a hard time dealing with the "details" of paying our business bills and dealing with contracts that had a due date.

Lawyers are going to have a field day.

I'm worried about the statistics coming out of Italy. The ratio of Confirmed cases to deaths is pretty fucked!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:31 am 

With two small children and living in an apartment, I can tell you it is really screwed up... Most people seem to be taking the situation seriously, but many just cannot afford not working, other are too stupid to know or to care. Each other day I still take the children for a quick stroll nearby, without seeing almost anyone in the streets, let alone interacting. But more and more the situation is escalating to a complete lock down. We don't have the structure of rich countries, so it really worries me.

Still, I rather suffer this for a while now, than hell breaking loose around here and everywhere.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:58 am 

The_Acadian_2 wrote:
... It's a unique event...

I guess, what we consider now as exceptional circumstances, will be seen as normal condition finally. Every day a little bit more. We are in war :P
Italy is an unbelieveable nightmare but in China there seems to be some relief. So there will be a time after the virus some day.
I wish the best for everybody.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:10 am 

I forgot to mention that the main crisis denier here is the president himself. This will most likely cost his power. Yeah, stay safe everyone and don't give in to fear and paranoia.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:18 am 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:39 am 

I'm in Brabant, the worst struck province of The Netherlands. I have to work from home. So far so good but it does get lonely.

My pet project for over three months has been a home-knitted plaid of left-over yarn. The patches have a tricky ajour butterfly pattern.

I work at a holiday home rental company, Belvilla. Because there is a lockdown in pretty much every single country where we have holiday homes, all current bookings have to be cancelled. The current stress makes working at home hard since whenever I go down for my break I hear the Corona news which is also about the only thing I am dealing with at work.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:57 am 

I still work a full shift.
Actually had a few customers thank me for being willing to wander the sales floor, and help people.
Lots of people on edge...especially the ones who find out we don't accept returns on food and "panic buy" items, now that supply is catching up to demand. Yesterday, a guy threw a package of toilet paper at a clerks head when we wouldn't take back his extras.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:06 am 

Clay Jones

Adam Zyglis

Bruce Plante

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:33 pm 

We began our premature isolation in the cave about 90 minutes ago.....so far so good :lol:

Offically non essential folks have until midnight tomorrow to get themselves prepared
for an estimated Month or more on the sofa.....

Setting aside the largely unknown financial ramifications of the lockdown, and glossing
over the possibility of "civil unrest" and the "we're all going to die" scenarios, I'm almost
ashamed to say I'm overjoyed at the prospect of being able to spend a Month on the
maroon sofa with the nearest and dearest and more than enough audio visual
electronic entertainment to last us a lifetime.....not to mention the sleeeeep.....

Truth is I'll be fielding e mails making calls and doing a little admin throughout the hiatus,
in-between gaming movies music TV PC and whatever else I won't be able
to tear myself away from to deal with effing e mails! effing calls! and effing admin!

and it's only been 90 minutes :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:12 am 

I've been on house arrest (I mean working from home) for over two years, adapting is just a few tweaks for me...The Daughter Plook the Younger is also working from home and since I have two stations in my home office she is working from here, little Izzy is having a blast playing in the back yard ever day, she is definitely a self starter... 8)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:44 am 

Rick McKee

J.D. Crowe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:10 am 

Watching funny dumb videos:
Star Wars Coronavirus PSA #Coronaviruschallenge
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PI_iPuqQ5M

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:48 pm 

SCORE!

As my TV cable provider has no live sport to broadcast they have made the movie channels free,
and here's me with time on my hands..... 8)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:09 am 

Same here. Dad's taken a shine to the round the clock golden oldies channel that he normally would have to pay for. Funny since he never puts on the radio.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:14 pm 

Recently, Mrs Flycoon got a new job. Her new company installs megawatt-size solar grids. Since they're involved in the generation of electricity, her job is considered critical. She's working from home.

Her old job was for a company that sells boating supplies. It's not considered critical. Today they laid off 80% of the company (about 3,000 people).

Mrs Flycoon worked at the old company for 26 years. She changed companies about three months ago.

Good timing, eh?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:44 pm 

Wow! that is excellent timing MTF.....now for the lottery ticket

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:49 am 

Before the virus came along, I worked at home and didn't get out much. So nothing really changed for me.

My wife is the manager of the school bus company in town. She still works, but there's not much to do.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:19 am 

Day Four

So we were sitting around the cave
depressing each other with worst case scenario
disaster talk when shock horror the power goes out with a bang!

Oh nooooo! we're roughing it :wink:

Out came the candles transistor radio and before you know it
the coffee's on the gas-ring. A seriously panicked Cookie shoots
off for a shower, before it gets requisitioned by the government,
leaving the little woman and I sitting alone in the candle light and tlw's
a little worried, when suddenly to our mutual surprise we discovered that:
Lock Down + Power Outage + Disaster = Disaster Sex.
I'm not quite sure what happened, maybe it was Barry White on the radio
or maybe we was possessed by de mysterious pheromone shower but we
ripped some clothing and attempted to save the species.....
then we hit he shower before it gets requisitioned by the government.....

So far we're enjoying this lockdown way too much..... :o

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:31 am 

LOL

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:37 am 

Steve Kelley

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:51 pm 

These historic sites and attractions are offering virtual tours
Drew Jones·05:00, March 29th, 2020.

Spencer Platt
Online visitors can tour the interior artworks of the Sistine Chapel, including its renowned ceiling and The Last Judgment, by the Renaissance-era painter Michelangelo.

The Met Opera is offering free daily streams of classic operas to audiences worldwide, including Tannhauser on March 30th (NZ time)

As governments across the world implement "social distancing" efforts to curb the spread of coronavirus, that leaves self-quarantined people with a lot of free time and nowhere to go.

However, global museums, historical sites and national parks have stepped up to deliver their signature experiences by offering virtual tours to anyone from the comfort of their homes.

Here's a list of few places travellers can tour – without having to leave the couch.

The Louvre: Last year, the world's most visited museum was the subject of lamentations over overcrowding and peculiar guest behaviour. Now, because of its closure, visitors to the Louvre can check out virtual tours of the Egyptian antiquities collection, remains of the Louvre's moat and the Galerie d'Apollon without having to brush by anyone's shoulders.

Take a look. :arrow: https://www.louvre.fr/en/visites-en-ligne

Sistine Chapel: The national lockdown in Italy has forced the country to a near-standstill, shuttering public events, soccer stadiums and even the Vatican. Now, visitors can tour the interior artworks of the chapel, including its renowned ceiling and The Last Judgment, by the Renaissance-era painter Michelangelo.

Check it out :arrow: http://museivaticani.va/content/museiva ... tuale.html

Guggenheim Museum: The Guggenheim is offering VR access to its entire contemporary arts collection through a partnership with Google Arts & Culture. Using the Street View feature, visitors can tour the museum's iconic architecture, sprawling design and any of its galleries.

Check it out. :arrow: http://artsandculture.google.com/street ... 0462916823

Veronique de Viguerie
The Louvre's virtual tour includes the Egyptian antiquities collection, remains of the Louvre's moat and the Galerie d'Apollon.

Yosemite National Park: The California park might have been shut down earlier this week, but that doesn't mean you can't still tour it – complete with sound – and visit some of Yosemite's iconic landmarks, including the Mariposa Grove of Giant Sequoias, the top of the Half Dome and the eponymous Yosemite Falls.

Take a look. :arrow: http://virtualyosemite.org/about-virtual-yosemite/

Van Gogh Museum: The largest Van Gogh collection in the world – 600 artworks and 700 letters – is housed in this Amsterdam museum and can be viewed via a virtual guided tour. View the inside of the museum along with insights into the Dutch post-impressionist artist's life through paintings including Sunflowers and The Yellow House.

Check it out. :arrow: http://360stories.com/amsterdam/oldamst ... t-van-gogh

The Great Wall of China: China's most famous attraction offers virtual tours of some of the most visited sections of the wall, 3000 miles of which are walkable. With much of the country under quarantine measures, the virtual tour offers a reprieve from the crowds who normally come from all over the world to see the 2000-year-old marvel.

Take a look. :arrow: http://thechinaguide.com/destination/gr ... l-of-china

The Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History's Butterfly Pavilion is a highlight of its virtual tour.

Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History: The Smithsonian is offering virtual tours that let visitors take a self-guided, room-by-room trip through the museum's slate of exhibits. The current exhibits include the Butterfly Pavilion and the David H. Koch Hall of Fossils, and visitors can even journey through past exhibits, on topics including the last American dinosaurs, the universe, and DNA and genomics.

Check it out. :arrow: http://naturalhistory.si.edu/visit/virtual-tour

Yellowstone National Park: National parks are known for their dazzling views and historical landmarks and Yellowstone holds some of America's most iconic ones. The virtual tour takes visitors through the first national park, showing Wyoming's most treasured sites including its canyons, hot springs and geysers, the most famous being Old Faithful.

Check it out. :arrow: http://nps.gov/yell/learn/photosmultime ... ltours.htm

US National Parks Service

Yosemite National Park might have been shut down earlier this week, but that doesn't mean you can't still tour it - online.

Museum of Modern Art: The MoMa is one of over 500 museums and galleries Google Arts & Culture has partnered with to offer an interactive experience of the gallery space. The nearly 100-year-old museum is home to some of the contemporary art world's most famous pieces, including Claude Monet's Water Lilies, Vincent van Gogh's The Starry Night and Pablo Picasso's Les Demoiselles d'Avignon.

Take a look. :arrow: http://artsandculture.google.com/partne ... modern-art

San Diego Zoo: The most-visited zoo in America is known for its open-air, cageless natural habitats and is famous for being one of the few zoos in the country that spearheaded conservation efforts of giant pandas. Even though pandas are no longer in the United States, the San Diego Zoo has set up live streams of its habitats for anyone to view the koalas, baboons and penguins that call the zoo home.

Check it out. :arrow: http://animals.sandiegozoo.org/live-cams

Getty
New York's Museum of Modern Art is home to Vincent van Gogh's The Starry Night.

British Museum: The world's oldest national public museum is another space that has partnered with Google Arts & Culture to showcase a virtual, interactive gallery. Visitors can roam the halls of the museum, peruse the exhibits and see famous objects like the Rosetta Stone, the Parthenon sculptures and Egyptian mummies. Just don't expect to see any Banksys lying around anytime soon.

Take a look. :arrow: http://artsandculture.google.com/partne ... ish-museum

Metropolitan Opera House: The Met in New York has been hosting nightly encore performances of some of its most iconic shows throughout its season. The free streams have been going live at 12.30pm (NZ time) each day and available for 20 hours after the performance. The slate includes the likes of Puccini's La Boheme and Verdi's Il Trovatore for viewers on-demand. "We'd like to provide some grand opera solace to opera lovers in these extraordinarily difficult times," Met General Manager Peter Gelb said in a statement.

The Washington Post

https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/120 ... tual-tours

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:03 pm 

Derek & Clive is doing it for me :mrgreen:

Next is the Cheech and Chong reruns
The only interruption is completing unfinished jobs around the home :x

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:52 pm 

I got such a laugh out of Aquaman I'm about to climb into a box set of X-Men dvds,
I've see one or two over the years but didn't really get into it, life was just a little serious
around that time.....
Cookie's response was x what, so we're ok there, plus she pissed herself during Aquaman,
and the (reruns are my life) little woman has seen "everything" many many times so will
no doubt provide a helpful commentary and answer any scientific or historical questions throughout..... :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:51 am 

Day 12 of confinement in Lyon. I've gone through and done most of the chores that were left "until later". I've read the last of the books. I'm bored of facebook. YouTube is just TV another way. I may have to start exercising. Fuck! Rumour has it that we'll be confined another two weeks minimum.

And the weather here has been glorious since the lockdown.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:02 pm 

I'm still working full time. my workplace is considered an "essential financial service".

the people who can do their work from home, are doing so. does not apply to me, though.

they take our temperature (laser gun to the forehead) every morning in the parking lot, even before we get out of our cars.

the whole place smells of lysol and bleach. there are hand sanitizers and clorox wipes everywhere.

as for now, I guess I consider myself lucky to work in an environment, where the employer is doing everything they can to keep us safe.

mrs. gravy is already retired. she's happy that she doesn't have to leave the house.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next