Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Elvis
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 2:05 am 

I think Elvis was a knob.  I hope I haven't offended anyone.  The true "King of Rock and Roll" title should go to Little Richard or Chuck Berry.

Post subject: Re: Elvis
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 2:48 am 

Buddy Holly get's my vote.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 3:10 am 

Elvis wasn't too great, I think Mick Jagger is king of rock 'n' roll.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 9:36 am 

[quote author=bongofury2000 link=board=general;num=1049025904;start=0#0 date=03/30/03 at 04:05:03]I think Elvis was a knob...... [/quote]<br><br>i'm totally offended..he was more of a chump than a knob, wot ;D<br><br>chuck berry gets my vote<br>

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 5:16 pm 

Listen to "Elvis '56" and be amazed. A black voice in a white package. And what a voice! The 68 comeback concerts is one of the most impressive TV-performances ever. Forget most  of the Vegas years. Blame the Colonel, he was only in it for the money.<br><br>Of course Elvis is the king of Rock & Roll Nobody, not even Chuck, has come even close.  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 7:41 pm 

hello everybody!<br><br>definately....elvis is the king and forever will be! chuck berry and stuff are nice, i always liked it, but there is only ONE king among (and above) them all. to me he is not only a beautiful and intense voice and a rock`n`roll habit but the really unique thing he became(some say just a product, i pity that..)i truly love. i mean, this was true tragedy, folks, he was gorgeous and full of talent, he brought joy to the world and(sure, he did not invent rock`n`roll, that one goes to richard and berry and others..) music would not be what it is today if he didn`t. and he got so....WASTED! he surely wasn`t that clever to notice what people made him do(blame not only the colonel..), for example these movies....its just trash except "king creole" of course, what was brilliant (great music..) and even had a story. <br>elvis was into the music and that was the only thing he used to be actually good at. i think he knew. i mean, he was doing even all the bullshit stuff with some kind of grandezza, that was never reached again. we almost forgot, that was stupid and it didn`t matter anyway.<br>and all of his love songs!<br>and the vegas shows(i always cry my heart out when he starts "my way", i guess i like these shows best because he is so desperate...)!!<br>desperation and rock`n`roll always stick together closely.<br>elvis, even though you were a rock,<br>I SALUTE YOU!!<br>regards from the jungle room<br><br>wowie zowie! <br>

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 3:53 am 

[quote author=wowie_zowie link=board=general;num=1049025904;start=0#11 date=04/28/03 at 22:41:54]hello everybody!<br><br>definately....elvis is the king and forever will be! chuck berry and stuff are nice, i always liked it, but there is only ONE king among (and above) them all. to me he is not only a beautiful and intense voice and a rock`n`roll habit but the really unique thing he became(some say just a product, i pity that..)i truly love. i mean, this was true tragedy, folks, he was gorgeous and full of talent, he brought joy to the world and(sure, he did not invent rock`n`roll, that one goes to richard and berry and others..) music would not be what it is today if he didn`t. and he got so....WASTED! he surely wasn`t that clever to notice what people made him do(blame not only the colonel..), for example these movies....its just trash except "king creole" of course, what was brilliant (great music..) and even had a story. <br>elvis was into the music and that was the only thing he used to be actually good at. i think he knew. i mean, he was doing even all the bullshit stuff with some kind of grandezza, that was never reached again. we almost forgot, that was stupid and it didn`t matter anyway.<br>and all of his love songs!<br>and the vegas shows(i always cry my heart out when he starts "my way", i guess i like these shows best because he is so desperate...)!!<br>desperation and rock`n`roll always stick together closely.<br>elvis, even though you were a rock,<br>I SALUTE YOU!!<br>regards from the jungle room<br><br>wowie zowie! <br>[/quote]<br><br>Not so much but... more or less I agree.<br>

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 2:43 pm 

"Anyone who thinks Elvis is the King of Rock and Roll don't know Diddley."<br><br>Bo Diddley.<br><br>VCF

Revel in your otherness. MK

STILL pissed at Tipper. VCF

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 5:23 pm 

Elvis gets my vote over Chuck Berry because he was able to screw underage girls without getting caught.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 5:54 pm 

goggle hits:<br><br>
  • 'elvis' - 2,990,000
  • 'elvis presley' - 614,000
  • 'king of rock & roll+elvis' - 153,000
total hits=3,757,000<br><br><br>
  • 'chuck' - 3,650,000
  • 'chuck berry' - 258,000
  • 'king of rock & roll+chuck berry' - 28,100
total hits=3,936,100<br><br><br>chuck>elvis

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 6:09 pm 

ELVIS ? One or two good years, the first ones. That's all ! The rest ? Not really worth mentionning, in my sense. As a musician, I'm asked in about 80% to play the ol' stock (Hound Dog - All shook up - Heartbreak Hotel - Teddy Bear - Don't be cruel)<br><br>A shame that he stopped being the young rebel that shook the world and became the Colonel's toy. But I'll put the blame on him ! With all the money he got, he could have get rid of the Colonel (sure it would have been costly but it's been done and a true artist would go out of his way to continue doing good stuff in spite of adversity). I've seen Graceland. The guy was far from being broke. He didn't really need the Colonel. But it seems like it was an easy way of making money. Nothing to take care !<br><br>Why did he do all these boring songs and films ?<br> <br>Lazyness and easy money. Why the comeback ? I think he feels he was losing it and needed to prove to himself that he could still do it (he secretly had a love-hate relationship with the Beatles). One of my friend (an Elvis fan) has the videos of the 2 last performances he did in an arena. Pitiful. I know he was sick and on drugs but he did it by himself. <br><br>Another story. Do you know how much Scotty Moore earned backing Elvis from 1955 to 1968 ? A fabulous total of 33,000$US. Apparently, Elvis has been ordered by the Colonel to pay his musicians on a fixed salary of no more than 100$ a night. I don't know about you guys, but if I was making millions, I would surely share a bit with my fellow musicians who helped me get to the top. Wouldn't you ? I wouldn't have told anything to the Colonel. Seems like Elvis took that "I'm the King" routine too seriously. <br><br>I have more admiration for guys like Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis, Buddy Holly, etc.... The real pionneers who didn't have it as good as Elvis. They did more for music (a musician point of view here).<br><br>Sorry. I don't really hate Elvis. I just feel that he's WAY overrated. All that passion directed to him is beyond me. Please, Elvis fans, don't take it too hard. I'm just expressing my point of view. Don't be cruel !   8)  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 7:50 am 

in my opinion no one should be cruel to people with a differnt point of view(even when talking bout the king), thats what i like about this very  forum....most members try to keep it nice and clean, even when dealing kinda offensive material or questions. it won`t happen too often in other alike web places i`ve been before.<br>well, i surely must admit(and did before), that to me he wasn`t a king in fact only because of his music. others did better and deserve to be named, so thank you bo diddley, chuck berry, little richard and folks, they are so many...you just have to see it as the whole thing, brilliant sounds and habit of the early years, following crap like all the movies and stuff(what was not meant to be funny, i think but cut its way into history as genius trash, you love it when you got a sense for such..), comeback, vegas shows and so on, i mean, he was always entertaining the crowd and he did it well, he let the world share the rise and fall of a tremendous career, a beautiful young man with a gorgeous voice and sadly not too big brains....we`re all voyeurs, aren`t we.....<br>even the roman empire fell because of laziness and decadence....and he  really WAS.<br>in any way he must have had some really psychological problem, thats why he never developed and just stuck to what he got. and don`t forget mom....i mean all the little girls and stuff, he somehow must have refused to face reality when he got really wealthy....most rich people in fact do this all the time. <br>of course he should have paid his musicians better- if this is true- than 100 $ playing one show, thats a good example he just didn`t care anymore. this was a big ego....and also a big bum lateron. <br>well, he was human and never really got it made, even if he had it all and even more...thats so heartbreaking to me. the whole trashy thing. rock`n`roll bastard.......<br>...i salute you AGAIN!!!<br>love and regards<br>wowie zowie!<br>

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 11:27 pm 

people!<br><br>phrases, what are they anyway???i mean, one day somebody decided to call a chair a chair, why not a basket or a watermelon or whatever...they stuck to that because its useful to identify a thing.....just try out a funny thing, name things different and have fun the whole day through.....i tried once, its inspiring....<br>concerning elvis(who might also have been named the whipped cream of rock`n`roll if any got the idea), i don`t mind that hes been called a king and will continue to do that because i like it. i love drama!not monarchy!! <br>this will be continued, i must go now...<br>wowie zowie!

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 4:25 am 

....and the pot-head was absolutely right, i almost forgot the country stuff elvis did, so let him wear a double-crown what lets him become the pharaoh of both, rock`n`roll and fuckin country music. i don`t really like gospel, so i won`t recommend...<br>may he rest in peace, however he is called......and not spook around in these parking lots anymore......<br>last salute by<br><br>wowie zowie!

Post subject: re: elvis showed up....
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 6:53 pm 

[center]Image[/center]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 10:12 pm 

Image<br><br>I have this one at home and enjoy it now and then, but a lot each time. Listening to it, you hear that Elvis KNOWS how to sing and how to CHARM every (almost) everybody. And you definitely hear WHERE is coming from, musically. <br>( "Jesus walk that lonesome valley" "Down by the riverside" "little cabin home down the hill" are some of my favs) You can also compare him in action with Jerry Lee Lewis. Presley has a bigger presence. No mystery how to make money, be so visible that it's like your the only one.)  <br><br>I only dig his young time. I can't listen to his fat and drug period. Too miserable; still, you can hear that he wants to be able but suffers to hear that he's over anyway. I can listen to "in the ghetto". Not more.<br><br>But as a young fresh man:<br>I love his voice<br>                     ( he's so charming, and voluptuous, so deep, so moving, so righ, so .... :-*)<br>                    his face<br>                    (he's so glamorous and sexy :-*)<br>                    his sens of rhythm( every thing in the right knee ;))<br><br>His daughter's cd is a bad. I wonder if she was well supported by the mixing/recording team ::)? Her voice is bad, her music is poor.<br><br>Now she seems to be kicking ass as the person, I don't really know, that's few things I heard about her.