Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:58 am 

I'm not a wrestling fan, but I have been getting into The Mountain Goats lately...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:11 am 

The Andre The Giant documentary debuted on HBO last night. I didn't stay up to watch it but I hope to catch it soon.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:50 am 

How John Cena & Nikki Bella Disagreeing Over Having Kids Caused Tension in Their Relationship

John Cena and Nikki Bella‘s sudden split after six years together came as a shock to fans, but there were signs the couple was drifting apart.
For years, the wrestlers struggled to connect when it came to their future as parents. Cena, 40, was steadfastly against having children, while Bella, 34, was vocal about her desire to be a mother.
“I do want to be a mom,” Bella told Cena in 2013 on Total Divas. “I feel like I’d be missing out.”
“I’m going to choose my words carefully,” Cena replied. “I can’t give you that.”

http://people.com/tv/john-cena-nikki-bella-tension-kids/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John Cena and Nikki Bella announce SHOCK breakup after WrestleMania

Cena and Bella had been dating for six years and won over the hearts of a global television audience in the reality TV series Total Divas.The Champ proposed to the ex-Divas Champion last year at Mania after they beat The Miz and Maryse in a Mixed Tag Team Match.
The couple looked set to get married but decided to call it quits shortly after WrestleMania 34.
A statement to E! News read: “While this decision was a difficult one, we continue to have a great deal of love and respect for one another."

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/othersport/946568/WWE-news-John-Cena-Nikki-Bella-breakup-WrestleMania-34-Undertaker-Asuka-The-Miz-Maryse

:shock: :(

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:03 am 

WWE Greatest Royal Rumble, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia

Full match card with results (winners in bold)

John Cena vs. Triple H

• Cruiserweight Championship — Cedric Alexander (c) vs. Kalisto

• Raw Tag Team Championship — Sheamus and Cesaro vs. Bray Wyatt and Matt Hardy

• United States Championship — Jeff Hardy (c) vs. Jinder Mahal

• SmackDown Tag Team Championship — The Bludgeon Brothers (c) vs. The Usos

​• Ladder match for the Intercontinental Championship — Seth Rollins (c) vs. The Miz vs. Finn Balor vs. Samoa Joe

​• WWE Championship — AJ Styles (c) vs. Shinsuke Nakamura (double count-out, Styles retains)

​• Casket match — The Undertaker vs. Rusev

​• Steel cage match for Universal Championship — Brock Lesnar (c) vs. Roman Reigns

​• 50-man Greatest Royal Rumble — Winner: Braun Strowman
https://www.si.com/wrestling/2018/04/27/wwe-greatest-royal-rumble-saudi-arabia-live-results-highlights-updates

*Note there are no women's matches, I suppose it would be difficult to wrestle in a burka.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:43 am 

Nikki Bella & John Cena Are 'Basically Back Together': 'Their Commitment Is Stronger Than Ever'

Jodi Guglielmi May 21, 2018 12:51 PM

Nikki Bella and John Cena just couldn’t quit each other.

Just over one month after the longtime couple announced their split, Bella and Cena are officially on the road to reconciliation.

“They’re basically back together,” a source close to the situation tells PEOPLE.

Bella called off her engagement to Cena, 40, in April — three weeks before they were meant to walk down the aisle.

Sources previously told PEOPLE that her decision to call it quits was due to their differing stances on marriage and having kids: She wanted a family, but he was hesitant.

“This was never really about ending their relationship— it was about calling off a wedding because something didn’t feel right,” the source says. “It was a wedding that was entered into under false pretenses. She was pretending she was okay with not having a kid, he was pretending he absolutely couldn’t and wouldn’t budge on that point.”

On Saturday, Bella, 34, and Cena, 41, were spotted out together for the first since their split.

“They both got a wake-up call once they canceled the wedding, and they both realized they could fix what was broken,” the source explains.

In the weeks since the breakup, both the Total Bellas star and pro-wrestler has been open about her desire to get back together. Bella previously told PEOPLE that she’s been in “communication” with the pro wrestler and that they are taking steps to get back together.

“They never stopped talking,” the source says. “Other than the actual wedding weekend, when they took some space, they have been talking.”

And when it comes starting a family, the source says Cena has changed his stance on having children.

“He has poured his heart out to her, and she was more than ready to take him back once she heard what she needed to hear,” the source adds. “He’s been saying and doing all the right things.”

http://people.com/tv/nikki-bella-john-cena-basically-back-together/

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:35 am 

Veteran wrestler Vader, 63, dies of heart failure
Leon White, best known as Vader during his time in the world of professional wrestling, died Monday at the age of 63.
http://www.espn.com/wwe/story/_/id/23853578/leon-white-known-pro-wrestler-vader-dies-age-63

In a pair of Twitter posts Wednesday morning, one of White's children said his father died of heart failure after battling pneumonia over the past month. White, who had a variety of heart issues in recent months, had open-heart surgery in late March.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:49 pm 

Braun Strowman won the Men’s Money in the Bank Ladder Match
https://www.wwe.com/shows/moneyinthebank/2018/mens-money-in-the-bank-ladder-match-results
CHICAGO — Braun Strowman said he was going to win the Money in the Bank contract and cash in on Universal Champion Brock Lesnar. He’s one step down. The Monster Among Men is now Mr. Monster in the Bank, having landed Raw its second contract of the night to set up a potential showdown between Team Red’s superheavyweights.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:36 am 

Former pro wrestler Matt Cappotelli, 38, dies after battle with brain cancer
Matt Cappotelli, once a promising WWE star, has died after a battle with brain cancer, his wife said in an Instagram post. He was 38.
https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/06/30/us/wwe-matt-cappotelli-obit/index.html

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:11 pm 

Hulk Hogan reinstated into WWE Hall of Fame
https://www.wwe.com/article/hulk-hogan-reinstated-into-wwe-hall-of-fame
After a three-year suspension, Hulk Hogan has been reinstated into the WWE Hall of Fame. This second chance follows Hogan’s numerous public apologies and volunteering to work with young people, where he is helping them learn from his mistake. These efforts led to a recent induction into the Boys & Girls Clubs of America Alumni Hall of Fame.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:40 am 

cory1984 wrote:
Hulk Hogan reinstated into WWE Hall of Fame

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7n_SHrK408

what an AMERICAN HERO!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:21 am 

lapsed maps wrote:
what an AMERICAN HERO!

Sure is, and he's the only reason Belzer's lame ass show will ever be remembered. Wasn't like Belzer was literally asking for it or anything!
https://youtu.be/RJMxN-sW6fo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:05 am 

cory1984 wrote:
Wasn't like Belzer was literally asking for it or anything!

asking to be dropped on his head/a lacerated skull/some permanent spinal injuries/almost crippled on his own show?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:27 am 

lapsed maps wrote:
cory1984 wrote:
Wasn't like Belzer was literally asking for it or anything!

asking to be dropped on his head/a lacerated skull/some permanent spinal injuries/almost crippled on his own show?

Did you even watch the full clip? He begs him to put him in a hold, they even tell him no at first. He then requests a certain hold, which Hulk advises might be too tough, and doesnt want him to get hurt. Belzer is put in the less complex hold and almost immediately passes out. He hit his head because Hulk didn't know he was unconsious and he let him out of the hold. This was clearly an accident! So yes, by basically demanding he be put it a wrestling hold Belzer was indeed "asking for it". To hear Belzer tell it you'd think Hulk ripped him out of his chair choked him out and threw him on the ground. Lol
This isn't really worth a lengthy discussion to be honest.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:22 pm 

WWE announces all-women's pay-per-view event, Evolution
Tim Fiorvanti
http://www.espn.com/wwe/story/_/id/24177228/wwe-triple-h-stephanie-mcmahon-discuss-upcoming-all-women-evolution-pay-per-view
The WWE is set to make history once again on Oct. 28 with its first-ever all-women's pay-per-view event, titled Evolution.

Staged live from the Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum in Uniondale, New York, the site of countless monumental moments in WWE history including WrestleMania 2, Evolution will feature the women of Monday Night Raw, SmackDown Live, NXT and the newly formed NXT: U.K. brands -- as well as at least a couple of Hall of Famers.
"Three years ago, our fans demanded a change with #GiveDivasAChance," said Paul "Triple H" Levesque, WWE executive vice president of Talent, Live Events & Creative. "Everything that's happened since then has come from that demand -- their insistence on seeing that change. Once given the [chance], they have taken every opportunity and not only knocked it out of the park, but hit a grand slam."

More than three months out from the event, the exact makeup of the card is still yet to be determined, but one match already is set in stone -- the finals of the second annual Mae Young Classic tournament. As you might expect, WWE is bringing out all of their heaviest hitters for Evolution.

"You can expect to see the best of all brands -- that's Ronda [Rousey], Charlotte [Flair], Alexa [Bliss], Sasha [Banks], Carmella, Nia Jax, Asuka, everyone -- plus you'll get to see Trish Stratus, Lita will be there, you're going to see some legends," Levesque said. "You're also going to see stars of now and the future in Shayna Baszler and the women of NXT."

On Monday night's edition of Raw, Stephanie McMahon -- WWE's chief brand officer and on-screen commissioner of Monday Night Raw -- revealed to the world and the women of Raw and SmackDown the name of the event and a few key details about how it'll play out. It's the latest opportunity she has had to kick off the excitement for a major move forward for the WWE's women's divisions.

"It's an honor beyond description to be the one who gets to make these announcements," said McMahon to ESPN. "To announce the first ever all-women's Royal Rumble match, and now the first ever all-women's pay-per-view. To be able to honor the memories and legacies of all of those women who have paved the way -- many of whom I knew personally, and a lot of them around the world I don't -- [and] to represent them and this shared passion in what we do and what we love and what we're all capable of, to me, it really demonstrates this moment of equality, not only for them, but for all of the young girls and women around the world."

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:26 am 

People are already speculating that the, all women's PPV will be the lowest rated PPV of the year.
I will watch, I don't think it will be the lowest rated. Could it be ??
I doubt it will be the worse as far as in ring action, Fastlane and Extreme Rules were pretty bad.
Lots of curiosity surrounding this one. Former female talent returning helps.

We'll see...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:23 am 

NicHoLai wrote:
People are already speculating that the, all women's PPV will be the lowest rated PPV of the year.
I will watch, I don't think it will be the lowest rated. Could it be ??
I doubt it will be the worse as far as in ring action, Fastlane and Extreme Rules were pretty bad.
Lots of curiosity surrounding this one. Former female talent returning helps.

We'll see...

I have heard the same, and it will be very interesting to see the outcome. I will be watching, I'm consistently impressed with the abilities of this new generation of women wrestlers. As the sideshow spectacles of the previous decades have fallen by the wayside, so has the blatant exploitation of women in the WWE. Personally I couldn't be happier about these changes. This all female ppv event could be a major turning point for women's wrestling, and how seriously it's taken.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:14 pm 

Kevin Owens vs. Braun Strowman 2 set for SummerSlam

By Tommy Messano Jul 23, 2018, 9:50pm EDT
https://www.cagesideseats.com/wwe/2018/7/23/17606068/kevin-owens-vs-braun-strowman-2-set-for-summerslam-wwe-raw

Kevin Owens got his wish.

Tonight (Jul. 23) on Raw, Owens cut his first promo since getting tossed off the top of the cage courtesy of Braun Strowman. Still licking his wounds from Extreme Rules, Owens laid his heart into the mic and talked about how Strowman’s actions at Extreme Rules affected his children and family.

"It's not just my son; it's my little girl. They're scared...I have a family to take care of, and YOU tried to take away my ability to do that!" - @FightOwensFight #RAW pic.twitter.com/B7DTHeyvSe
— WWE Universe (@WWEUniverse) July 24, 2018

Later in the night, Stephanie McMahon gave Owens the opportunity to get revenge on Strowman.

If KO beats Strowman at SummerSlam, he gets the Monster’s Money in the Bank briefcase.

WOW. @FightOwensFight will have the chance to take EVERYTHING from @BraunStrowman at #SummerSlam, because if the #MonsterAmongMen loses in ANY way, Owens gets his #MITB contract! #RAW pic.twitter.com/PjAS13D9OR
— WWE (@WWE) July 24, 2018

Wow.

Can Kevin Owens beat the Monster Among Men again and take away Braun Strowman’s briefcase at SummerSlam?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:36 am 

What Kevin asked for was if Braun is pinned, submitted, counted out DQed, no matter the outcome KO wins he gets the briefcase.

I picture the match being restarted after a dusty finish

or

KO gets the case, and then post match, get destroyed to the point he will not at least be using it that night.

either way i hope they wrap up the KO Braun feud. Its making KO look like a pussy, and thats not him.
Cowardly heel sometimes sure, but not like they have been doing him.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:58 am 

NicHoLai wrote:
either way i hope they wrap up the KO Braun feud. Its making KO look like a pussy, and thats not him.
Cowardly heel sometimes sure, but not like they have been doing him.

I kinda like the KO, Strowman, feud. The antics with KO's car, the port a potty, and the constant running away, I wasn't real happy with either, at the time. Now I think I see where theyre going with this. Tear KO down to build him back up! I hope this all escalates to bring back KO's psychotic rage!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:58 am 

Kane is now Mayor-elect of Knox County after a landslide victory

By Cain A. Knight on August 3, 2018 3:11 am
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cagesideseats.com/platform/amp/wwe/2018/8/3/17647026/kane-glenn-jacobs-wins-mayor-election-knox-county-landslide

Glenn “Kane” Jacobs has been elected mayor of Knox County, Tennessee. The voting results indicate a wide margin of victory for the Big Red Machine over his opponent Linda Haney. More than 50,000 Kanenites showed up to offer their support for Jacobs.

The former WWE Champion announced he was running for mayor back in April 2017. He pulled off a major upset when he won the Republican primary earlier this year by less than 30 votes. At that point Kane became the clear favorite to win the general election, because Knox County is a predominantly Republican region.
Kane acknowledged that his career in WWE increased the national spotlight on this mayoral election. Shortly after the race was called, Kane told local television station WBIR-TV the following:

Because of who I am, I can put Knox County in a positive light nationally, and I think that’s great. There’s so many great things that our county, our area has to offer, and frankly the rest of the country needs to know about it.

Congratulations to the Devil’s Favorite Demon on earning 66.4% of the vote and becoming the Mayor-elect of Knox County, Tennessee.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:24 am 

Enzo Amore...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:10 pm 

Galoot Co-Log-Nuh wrote:
Enzo Amore...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cagesideseats.com/platform/amp/indies-independent-wrestling-indy-promotions/2018/6/10/17446242/enzo-amore-return-wrestling-aug-17-house-of-glory?source=images

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:39 am 

cory1984 wrote:

AND YOU CAN'T TEACH THAT!!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:05 am 

Ronda Rousey Devours Alicia Fox in Debut Raw Match
http://comicbook.com/wwe/2018/08/07/ronda-rousey-wwe-raw-devours-alicia-fox-debut-match/
Jeremy Snodgrass

08/06/2018

Ronda Rousey's third televised match of her WWE career may have lacked the big stage of a pay-per-view, but the same electricity was there. In just under four minutes, the UFC Hall of Famer dismantled Alicia Fox to close Raw.

After Raw Women's Champion Alexa Bliss and Fox disparaged Rousey in their pre-match interviews, Rousey stormed down the ramp and waited for the bell the ring. When it did, Fox stalled, but once Rousey got her hands on her prey, it was soon over. Using a barrage of hip tosses, Rousey made it look like she was trying to remove limbs from Fox's body. Just before she slapped on the armbar, Rousey made sure Bliss was watching.

Bliss tried to sneak up on Rousey during her victory speech but was whipped to the ground by a violent Rousey toss. Bliss scored up the ramp but didn't leave until Rousey promised to take her title at the SummerSlam in 13 days.

Like a WrestleMania 34 and Money in the Bank, Rousey's energy kept the crowd in the frenzy. In the same way, we love watching Brock Lesnar destroy things, or Stone Cold Steve Austin line someone up for a Stunner, Rousey is able to not only build big moments but pay them off. With just one more episode of Raw left, it certainly feels like she'll be leaving SummerSlam as new Raw Women's Champion.

While there's still plenty of work to be done, it's worth underlining how well WWE and Rousey have worked together. Despite a considerable amount of outlets, Rousey continues to transcend any negativity by submitting electric performances. By now, saying Rousey has been a success is almost cliche to anyone who has been watching this year.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:14 pm 

Dean Ambrose Is Back!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next