Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 5:41 pm 

Sorry to be harping on this, but your underestimating the influence these wrestling extravaganzas have on the 'man in the street'. If you think TV Evangelism is dangerous business, you must consider WWF in a similar mould.<br><br>It is not harmless entertainment. It creates a mood of hatred and violence.<br><br>Can't see how that is just harmless.<br><br>

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 6:20 pm 

the_mudshark wrote:
....It is not harmless entertainment. It creates a mood of hatred and violence.

Can't see how that is just harmless.
but no more than other pro sports, some films & some music genres like goth, death metal etc...they pound each other senseless in football, real injuries, steroid use & other dope, same w/basketball & hockey...nascar racing fans wanna see crash & burn...

Last edited by slime.oofytv.set on Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 6:59 pm 

When I was a kid in L.A., it was all about KCOP Channel 13 and 'Championship Wrestling'.<br>The Tolos Brothers, John and Chris, were like Gods to us 5 year olds.<br><br>The scariest of that era was the above-mentioned Ernie Ladd - who would have a chunk of metal <br>taped to his thumb, and would aim this right at the throats of opponents. <br>Then, he would get so riled during interviews that white foamy/ chunky stuff would begin to <br>spew from his mouth! <br>SICK! And it looked so damn real, too.<br><br>My days of caring have long since passed, but my favorite all time wrestler is <br>'Rowdy' Roddy Piper, no question.

yore barkin' up the wrong tree.
- Festus Haggen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 10:41 pm 

Anybody old enough to remember wrestlng inDetroit would have to love Lord Layton and Bobo Brazil. Ah, those were the days

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 6:30 pm 

[quote author=kaiser_rolls link=board=general;num=1048573126;start=15#20 date=04/03/03 at 01:13:12]<br><br>Image<br>[/quote]<br><br>Hey isn't this a still from one of those new Microsoft commercials? You know, where they draw an animated scene around the person to show how they're gonna achieve their dreams? This guy's gonna use Microsoft products to help him attain his goal of becoming a cannibal.

>You don't.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 7:23 pm 

ms flesheater v1.2 is full of bugs...download the patch

Last edited by slime.oofytv.set on Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 8:02 pm 

[quote author=MentalTossFlycoon link=board=general;num=1048573126;start=30#36 date=04/04/03 at 21:56:33]<br>You sure this isn't Mr. T from his Village People days?[/quote]<br><br>He must have been BIG into Oreos and custard back then.

yore barkin' up the wrong tree.
- Festus Haggen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 7:26 pm 

[quote author=slime.oofytv.set link=board=general;num=1048573126;start=15#27 date=04/03/03 at 20:20:39]<br><br>but no more than other pro sports, some films & some music genres like goth, death metal etc...they pound each other senseless in football, real injuries, steroid use & other dope, same w/basketball & hockey...nascar racing fans wanna see crash & burn.... ][/quote]<br><br>It's all true - I for one would much rather watch 'fake' wrestling than watch two boxers deliberately beating the shit out of each other's faces. <br>Admittedly the WWE's 'necrophilia' angle of last year was possibly an all time low....<br><br>[quote author=slime.oofytv.set link=board=general;num=1048573126;start=15#27 date=04/03/03 at 20:20:39]<br><br>hey kaiser rolls, you from n.s.? that's the last time i've come across irn brew...good stuff ;D[/quote]<br><br>Is n.s. Nova Scotia? I'm from Scotland, but currently living in Darwin, Australia, where there is no Irn Bru for thousands of miles around! Apparently one can buy it in Melbourne, so that's something to look forward to. Until then I'll just have to find an alternative vodka mixer/hangover cure.<br><br><br><br>

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 1:50 am 

I'm not really a wrestling fan, but I've read The Rock and Mankind (Mike ??)'s books. I like the Mankind book, it's really good, so I'll say him.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 10:42 pm 

[quote author=MentalTossFlycoon link=board=general;num=1048573126;start=15#29 date=04/03/03 at 22:30:28]By the way...<br><br>Why did the WWF change their name to WWE? Were people confusing them with the World Wildlife Fund or something?[/quote]<br><br>Well, actually, yes. At least the World Wildlife Fund thought that people were getting confused. They won a court case two years ago preventing the former World Wrestling Federation from using the initials 'WWF' - somewhat petty IMO as the panda boys' full name is the 'Worldwide Fund for Nature' or 'WFN', but there you go. The (ex) Fed changed its' name to 'WWE' or 'World Wrestling Entertainment' after the ruling. Here's a report  from British paper The Guardian:<br> Giant panda wins in WWF initial bout <br><br>Paul Kelso<br>Saturday August 11, 2001<br>The Guardian <br><br>In the red corner, a 23-stone spandex-clad thug; in the blue corner, a giant panda. And the winner ... the panda. <br>Environmental charity the Worldwide Fund for Nature yesterday won a high court bout with the World Wrestling Federation over use of the initials WWF when a judge ruled the wrestling organisation had breached an agreement between the two parties. <br><br>In a written judgment, Mr Justice Robin Jacob upheld a claim by the wildlife charity that the federation broke a 1994 agreement under which it promised to restrict its use of the initials in its business activities. The charity, which uses a panda as its logo, registered the initials as a trademark in 1961, when it was founded as the World Wildlife Fund. <br><br>The charity was particularly concerned by criminal proceedings taken against the wrestling federation in the US, and by an article in Penthouse alleging its wrestlers and employees were involved in "violence, paedophilia and rape", said the judge. <br><br>Although it changed its name to the Worldwide Fund for Nature in the UK and several other countries in 1989, the charity still uses the initials WWF with the panda symbol in advertising. <br><br>The charity sought an agreement in 1994 following a number of trademark disputes between the two parties.<br><br>Mr Justice Jacobs will in October hear arguments on damages.<br><br>Sounds like the mudshark is not alone in his dislike of 'puroresu'. I'll admit, it is pretty ludicrous, but that's kinda why I enjoy it. It's a perfect blend of soap opera story lines, comic book violence and larger than life characters. Infinitely preferable to that 'Ultimate Fighting' pish. I mean, are those guys for real? However, should Butterbean be reading this I feel I should add that ever since I saw him beating the crap out of Johnny Knoxville, I have nothing but respect for the 'Bean-man' - he truly is one violent bastard!<br><br>BTW, Poncho is right on the money as regards Mick Foley/Mankind's books - 'Have a nice day' and 'Foley is Good (and the real world is faker than wrestling)'. Both are intelligent, touching and funny as hell. I can't recommend them highly enough. And that just reminded me of someone:<br><br>Image<br><br>

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 5:23 am 

I think that Mankind must have been the most entertaining wrestler ever. He made the programe so much more fun, with the sock and the falling off of tall things. He was great.<br><br>Image

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 6:33 am 

yup!<br>Image

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 6:38 am 

[quote author=kaiser_rolls link=board=general;num=1048573126;start=45#45 date=04/08/03 at 09:33:55]yup!<br>Image[/quote]<br><br>L ;DL  Oh Lawdy!!!<br>

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 5:03 pm 

Yes these guy's were good !

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 5:33 pm 

Image<br><br><br>WWWF CHAMPION FOR LESS THAN A MONTH 1971<br><br>IVAN KOLOFF

l)
l

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next