Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:50 pm 

Could psychedelics transform mental health?

Think of magic mushrooms and LSD and it's likely that science is not the first thing that springs to mind.

Psychedelic drugs are more likely to be associated with hippies and the counterculture of the 1960s than people in white lab coats and clinical trials.

But that might soon change.

Increasingly, scientists are looking at whether these mind-altering drugs - which also include mescaline and DMT among others - might also have the potential to be mind-healing.

A number of small studies have found psychedelics to show promise in treating mental health disorders like depression, addiction and post-traumatic stress disorder, often where other treatments have failed.

Now UK researchers are about to take part in the first major trials into whether one of these hallucinogenic drugs could be more effective than a leading antidepressant in the treatment of depression.

Researchers at Imperial College London are to compare the magic mushroom compound psilocybin with a leading SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) antidepressant, escitalopram, in a large trial expected to take at least two years.

"[Psychedelics] have a revolutionary potential, and that's not an exaggeration," says Dr Robin Carhart-Harris, who will lead the study.

But it is not the first time scientists have been excited about these mind-bending substances.

More than 50 years ago they rapidly came to scientific attention, before research in the field came to a sudden halt.

Continue...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:47 pm 

One thing is clear. Proper research must be allowed to happen. When it comes to these drugs, people need to be able to make decisions based on complete as possible scientific knowledge, not myths. A lot of harm has occurred in the name of legally enforced ignorance.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:01 am 

Medical use is something like the way tribal doctors would administer the plants with these properties for 1000's of years... :idea:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:04 pm 

polydigm wrote:
A lot of harm has occurred in the name of legally enforced ignorance.

Yeah, just watch CNN...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:37 pm 

I’ve read articles where it is suspected that psylicibin is beneficial for people with OCD. I believe it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:25 pm 

Oh Donald does it every day like clockwork Orange even :smoke:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:54 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:43 pm 

I wonder what would jaypfunk turn into after a heroic dose of mushrooms... The article suggests it can help with mental health issues.

Now, how many believe Frank Zappa tried (willingly or otherwise) LSD with the Captain? Weren't there rumors/legends?

My take, after reading Andrew's book, is that Zappa's illicit-drug-phobia stems at least in part from Zappa's fear of legal vulnerabilities, after doing time in San'Berdino...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:05 pm 

Could be, my agents worked on this one for many years.

Best they could come up with was that he was a control freak and the thought out loosing it Freaked him out- the few times he tried Jay's :smoke:

But we are pretty sure that when he Played with the Pink Floyd doing Interstellar Overdrive, something was going on...... Chemical samples are being sort :twisted:

As for Jaypfunk, I drool enough over him already :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:52 pm 

I don't mean to be rude, but when I asked anyone, I meant anyone from the board...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:03 pm 

Oh, so Jaypfunk is not from the board my bad :smoke:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:27 am 

Melania Trump wrote:
Oh, so Jaypfunk is not from the board

well, yeah... but... why?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:12 am 

lapsed maps wrote:
Melania Trump wrote:
Oh, so Jaypfunk is not from the board

well, yeah... but... why?

Jay doesn't surf

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:43 am 

and uses Omo. I hear it give quite a hit :smoke:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:55 am 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Weren't there rumors/legends?

Maybe stuff for the legends forum, where one might feel more at ease to freely speculate...

Zappa's Mother's LPs (ex. FO, WOIIFTM) do a great job mimicking 'psychdelic' sounds ("Boing"), whatever might that mean... Did Zappa mess with solvents early in his rebel years?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:09 pm 

Alex Jones DMT Electro House Remix
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPs3EeRyL9Y

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:39 am 

A DMT trip 'feels like dying' - and scientists now agree

A new scientific study suggests strong similarities between near death experiences and the psychedelic drug

Ben Bryant

14 September 2018

The chill of the fluid flows through Iona's arm as the DMT - N,N-Dimethyltryptamine - is pumped into her bloodstream.

She is in a treatment room at the Imperial College Clinical Research Facility in London, taking part in a scientific study into the effects of illegal hallucinogen DMT. She's in a chair, eye mask on, cannula poking out of her forearm. The lights are dimmed and a specially commissioned ambient soundtrack plays in the background. Chris Timmermann, a psychologist and neuroscientist who researches psychedelic drugs, stands nearby.

Inside Iona’s brain, enzymes work like cleaners mopping up a monsoon to break down the drug flooding her system. The hallucinations hit her like a hurricane. A sense of dread envelops her.

“My eyes were closed but there was so much going on that it was really hard to focus," Iona says afterwards. "The one image I remember was lots of books opening and rainbows shooting out of them."

“I felt this quiver. The only other time I’ve had it is when I was giving birth. [A feeling that] I’m not sure I want to do this – but a sense of no turning back, you’re here and you’ve got to go through this.

“I don’t remember my body being around after that.”

As expected, Iona didn't suddenly dematerialise into a swirling space-time void. This intense journey took place entirely within her own mind – induced by an illegal drug that sits on the periphery of recreational psychedelics.

DMT is perhaps best known as the hallucinogenic compound in ayahuasca. This bitter, brown liquid is created by combining two plants – the ayahuasca vine and a shrub called chacruna – and has been used ritually and medicinally by Amazonian tribes for centuries.

The mysterious allure of the ayahuasca ritual seems to hold a particular appeal for young Westerners, who have helped spawn a cottage industry of ayahuasca tourism in South America. Those who seek it out may believe it can heal, provide a glimpse of death, or perhaps even the afterlife. But it is not a drug without risks. Ayahuasca could trigger issues in those who are predisposed to mental health problems and four years ago, a 19-year-old British backpacker died following an ayahuasca ceremony.

Like many illegal drugs, DMT’s effects on the brain have not been researched much at all. Human trials involving illegal drugs demand a strict ethical and regulatory framework and the express permission of the Home Office. Imperial College's Psychedelic Research Group has consistently met the requirements for such trials. They are recording the effects of the drug in new ways, thanks to advancements in brain mapping technologies such as functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI).

“It has been speculated in the past that a lot of [psychedelic] experiences – not only DMT but also LSD and so on – contain themes of death,” says Chris, who led the study.

“If I were to speculate, one possibility may be that the system is reaching such a high level of disorder that the psychological reaction might be, ‘Oh my God, I'm dying',” Chris explains.

Iona describes some of this "disorder" as feeling detached from her body and says she quickly found she was experiencing a strange, unfamiliar detachment from her sense of self too.

“My body just didn’t seem relevant anymore," says Iona. "And I felt like I arrived in some consciousness soup which seemed like a different realm to the one I ordinarily inhabit – even in dreams. It just seemed like everything was rotating and swirling and spiralling. It didn’t seem like there were normal space-time proportions going on.”

Iona struggles to put into words exactly what she experienced. But towards the end of the test, she remembers an overwhelming feeling of gratitude that she had survived and a strange sense of reassurance.

“I felt a sense that perhaps death isn’t the end – not that I’m religious,” she says.

Like many illegal drugs, DMT’s effects on the brain have not been researched much at all. Human trials involving illegal drugs demand a strict ethical and regulatory framework and the express permission of the Home Office. Imperial College's Psychedelic Research Group has consistently met the requirements for such trials. They are recording the effects of the drug in new ways, thanks to advancements in brain mapping technologies such as functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI).

“It has been speculated in the past that a lot of [psychedelic] experiences – not only DMT but also LSD and so on – contain themes of death,” says Chris, who led the study.

“If I were to speculate, one possibility may be that the system is reaching such a high level of disorder that the psychological reaction might be, ‘Oh my God, I'm dying',” Chris explains.

Iona describes some of this "disorder" as feeling detached from her body and says she quickly found she was experiencing a strange, unfamiliar detachment from her sense of self too.

“My body just didn’t seem relevant anymore," says Iona. "And I felt like I arrived in some consciousness soup which seemed like a different realm to the one I ordinarily inhabit – even in dreams. It just seemed like everything was rotating and swirling and spiralling. It didn’t seem like there were normal space-time proportions going on.”

Iona struggles to put into words exactly what she experienced. But towards the end of the test, she remembers an overwhelming feeling of gratitude that she had survived and a strange sense of reassurance.

“I felt a sense that perhaps death isn’t the end – not that I’m religious,” she says.

Interest in NDEs peaked in 2012, when neurosurgeon Eben Alexander appeared on Oprah. Eben wrote a book called Proof of Heaven, which described a quasi-celestial encounter with millions of butterflies and a vision of his late sister – arising from a bout of bacterial meningitis. The book went on to sell millions of copies off the back of Eben’s claim that his experience proved the existence of an afterlife.

“But it’s bullshit. It’s classic pseudoscience,” says Robin Carhart-Harris, who designed the Psychedelic Research Group study with Chris.

To this day, Eben defends his NDE claim, saying there is no scientific explanation for his experiences, which he says should not have been possible due to the level of impairment of his brain function.

But for the researchers at Imperial, it is far more likely NDEs are nothing more than poorly understood biological processes.

And DMT might just be “a drug model for the limbo state [between life and death]", explains Robin. What it emphatically is not, he adds, is a portal to the afterlife.

“There is nothing here to begin to enable us to propose that on DMT, you literally transcend the laws of this universe and do actually go to another world,” he says.

Comparing NDEs with DMT experiences has one obvious practical use - it could provide scientists with a way of studying the near-death state without nearly killing any human subjects.

So the Psychedelic Research Group collaborated with scientists in Belgium and France to record the experiences of 30 DMT participants and compare these with documented NDEs. The results were better than they had hoped.

“We found that it was such a strong fit on most of the elements,” says Chris. "I was quite surprised.”

The implications are “quite profound", says Robin. “I sort of feel a little bit more confident about what it is like to die because I can fill it in by saying, well, it is at least a bit like what it is like to be on DMT.

“Does that provide some kind of reassurance? It does in a weird way.”

According to Chris, many participants reported a sense of elevated mood after the study. There is a limited body of scientific evidence of the drug's therapeutic benefits, and experts strongly discourage taking DMT in an uncontrolled setting because of documented cases of psychosis and even death. One of the stated reasons people continue to go on ayahuasca retreats, however, is the purported transformative potential of the drug.

"It’s probably the most intense experience I’ve had,” says Iona. “[The sense that] birth and death were just a transformation rather than an end was something that felt true.”

Whether snapping selfies or scrolling through Instagram, we are encouraged to see our selves reflected in everything we do.

“We cling to this idea that something of ego consciousness survives after death – and the idea that it doesn’t is frightening, because we’re so attached to our egos,” says Robin.

“But the other probability is that when you die the world doesn’t end, because it goes on for everyone else. And if that doesn’t console people, then there’s something narcissistic there, isn’t there?” he says. “Because the universe goes on.”

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/article/dd52796e-5935-414e-af0c-de9686d02afa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:42 pm 

^ So what do you think of this, Mr GG?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:03 pm 

That's it. I'm leaving for Amazonia reet nah!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:37 am 

I think it is fascinating. I suspect all illegal drugs are made such to cover this one particular "illicit" drug, DMT. The reason for quotes is that every people on Earth is known to produce it endogenously, so we are all criminals. According to some, it would be the deep secret inside the rituals of mystical and influential secret societies that dictate much of our political fate (see the funny Alex Jones video above). I have never tried it (not the Daime or Ayuhasca as you would probably know it, nor the crack-pipe version), but I am sure fascinated by its possibilities, particularly the smoked version trip reports. You, Downer?

Meanwhile, a Tool song for y'all:

Tool - Rosetta Stoned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgbOo0sMpLE

[Intro]
Alrighty, then
Picture this if you will

[Verse 1]
10 to 2 AM, X, Yogi DMT, and a box of Krispy Kremes
In my "need to know" pose, just outside of Area 51
Contemplating the whole "chosen people" thingy
When a flaming stealth banana split the sky
Like one would hope but never really expect
To see in a place like this
Cutting right angle donuts on a dime
And stopping right at my Birkenstocks
And me yelping...
Holy fucking shit!

[Verse 2]
Then the X-Files being
Looking like some kind of blue-green Jackie Chan
With Isabella Rossellini lips, and breath that reeked of
Vanilla Chig Champa
Did a slow-mo Matrix descent
Outta the butt end of the banana vessel
And hovered above my bug-eyes, my gaping jaw
And my sweaty L. Ron Hubbard upper lip
And all I could think was:
"I hope Uncle Martin here doesn't notice
That I pissed my fuckin' pants."

[Verse 3]
So light in his way
Like an apparition, that
He had me crying out
"Fuck me
It's gotta be
The Deadhead Chemistry
The blotter got right on top of me
Got me seein' E-motherfuckin'-T!"

[Verse 4]
And after calming me down
With some orange slices
And some fetal spooning
E.T. revealed to me his singular purpose
He said, "You are the chosen one
The one who will deliver the message
A message of hope for those who choose to hear it
And a warning for those who do not."
Me. The chosen one?
They chose me!!!
And I didn't even graduate from fuckin' high school

You'd better...
You'd better...
You'd better...
You'd better listen

Then he looked right through me
With somniferous almond eyes
Don't even know what that means
Must remember to write it down
This is so real
Like the time Dave floated away
See, my heart is pounding
'Cause this shit never happens to me

I can't breathe right now!

[Verse 5]
It was so real
Like I woke up in Wonderland
All sorta terrifying
I don't wanna be all alone
While I tell this story
And can anyone tell me why
Y'all sound like Peanuts parents?
Will I ever be coming down?
This is so real
Finally, it's my lucky day
See, my heart is racing
'Cause this shit never happens to me

I can't breathe right now!

[Verse 6]
You believe me, don't you?
Please believe what I've just said!
See the Dead ain't touring
And this wasn't all in my head
See, they took me by the hand
And invited me right in
Then they showed me something
I don't even know where to begin

[Chorus]
Strapped down to my bed
Feet cold and eyes red
I'm out of my head
Am I alive? Am I dead?
Can't remember what they said
God damn, shit the bed

[Instrumental]

[Bridge]
Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position
Such a heavy burden now to be the one
Born to bear and bring to all the details of our ending
To write it down for all the world to see
But I forgot my pen
Shit the bed again ...
Typical

[Chorus]
Strapped down to my bed
Feet cold and eyes red
I'm out of my head
Am I alive? Am I dead?
Sunkist and Sudafed
Gyroscopes and infrared
Won't help, I'm brain dead
God damn, shit the bed

[Verse 7]
I can't remember what they said to me
Can't remember what they said to make me out to be the hero
Bob help me!

[Outro]
Don't know, won't know
Don't know, won't know
Don't know, won't know
Don't know, won't know
Don't know, won't know
Don't know, won't know
Don't know, won't know
Don't know, won't know
Don't know, won't know
Don't know, won't know
Don't know, won't know
Don't know, won't know
God damn, shit the bed!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:29 pm 

I knew about DMT early on. I knew some older people who had taken it. They took it in the 1950s and 1960s. They no longer had a trusted source for the stuff by the time I met them. I can tell you that I don't think Krispy Kreme and DMT should be mixed.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:24 am 

flashback anyone?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:29 am 

If you can, enlarge the image posted above by coevad until it fills your entire screen.

Now, that's psychedelic, man!
8)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:30 pm 

Sure is, NG.

And that is very similar to what real good shrooms'll do to your vision. I'm remembering this from a camping trip at Joshua Tree back in 1980 where we searched for the Eagles lost bag of trail mix from 1972, til 2am.