Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:43 pm 

I just received this email from Newbury Comics whom I purchased three coloured Zappa vinyls from.

Hello,

Thank you for your recent pre-order of our Frank Zappa exclusive vinyl. We wanted to inform you that in quality checking these pressings, the Hot Rats LP has unfortunately been determined to be defective. Therefore, we are canceling this title from your order. Any other items you may have ordered, including both of the other exclusive Frank Zappa records, will still be processed and shipped to you. Once your order ships, you will receive a shipping confirmation email with a tracking number for your package.

When the pressing of Hot Rats is confirmed in the future, we will once again make these available for purchase via newburycomics.com. We will notify you with early access to offer you the chance to purchase at that time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

To say that I am pissed off is understatement of the year.

Who the hell is in charge of things now? Anyone at all? You do Test Pressings to iron out any problems with vinyl runs, you don't do a full defective run without Test Pressings! This is a lie, we've been conned!

Solipsism Facebook
Juno Records Vinyl

Last edited by TheCentralScrutinizer on Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:04 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:08 pm 

I'll just add to this that if I'd known the Hot Rats version was a con, I wouldn't have bought the other two as I don't trust either to be decent pressings any longer. I just find it unfathomable that you would do a run of Hot Rats without test pressings, it makes no fucking sense at all.

Solipsism Facebook
Juno Records Vinyl

Last edited by TheCentralScrutinizer on Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:17 pm 

I want my money back. They took my money and I want my money back. They've not refunded my pre-order. I should never have trusted a company called Newbury Comics and I should have probably known better than to trust the current ZFT to be able to do a vinyl run.

Honestly, this is about a bad as it gets. I can't picture any other big artist's representatives fucking up on such a monumental scale.

P.S I still want my fucking money back.

Solipsism Facebook
Juno Records Vinyl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:27 pm 

AAAAAARGH! I've been looking forward to this for weeks and they've fucking ruined it. This was such a stupid fucking mistake to make. Who is pressing the vinyl? Dick Dastardly?

Solipsism Facebook
Juno Records Vinyl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:41 pm 

The dispatch date for all three coloured vinyl - Hot Rats, Over-Nite Sensation and Apostrophe was today. Why is it that the customers were not notified about the defect until the dispatch date? My other two records have been dispatched. You can't really expect people to believe that the defect wasn't noticed until they were ready to be dispatched, that makes no sense at all.

Solipsism Facebook
Juno Records Vinyl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:42 pm 

Does anyone from the ZFT ever reply on here or at least read the forum as I am monumentally pissed off right now and neither Newbury fucking Comics or the Frank Zappa page at Facebook are replying - they were quick enough to advertise the shit.

Either not enough people pre-ordered Hot Rats or too many people pre-ordered it. You wouldn't tell customers on the day of shipping the vinyl was defective, it makes no sense and you wouldn't press defective fucking vinyl, you'd sort the problems out at the test pressing stage.

What a pile of shit! You've ruined my January and that took some beating.

Solipsism Facebook
Juno Records Vinyl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:49 pm 

Even I need to get test pressings done, so why didn't the ZFT get them done on such an important release?

https://www.solipsism-solipsism.com/sin ... k-To-Vinyl

https://www.solipsism-solipsism.com/sin ... s-Approved

Solipsism Facebook
Juno Records Vinyl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:55 pm 

This is why the 'defective' story is bullshit.

Dear Name Omitted,

Your order 95300222988 was cancelled because we did not have enough stock to fulfill (sic) your order.

Your payment has been voided.

Please reply to this email if you have any questions or concerns.

Thank You,

Newbury Comics

Solipsism Facebook
Juno Records Vinyl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:15 am 

TheCentralScrutinizer wrote:

Dear Name Omitted,

Your order 95300222988 was cancelled because we did not have enough stock to fulfill (sic) your order.

Thank You,

Newbury Comics

They're not going to refund your money?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:04 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:
TheCentralScrutinizer wrote:

Dear Name Omitted,

Thank You,

Newbury Comics

They're not going to refund your money?

They did eventually refund my money for Hot Rats, my main issue is the fact that they must have known weeks ago that the vinyl was defective but they waited until the dispatch date to inform customers which is total shit.

It's just too hard to believe that no one noticed the vinyl was fucked until the day it was meant to be sent out.

They didn't cancel my orders for Apostrophe and Over-Nite Sensation either as I didn't want to do any further business with a company that is clearly lying to their customers.

Solipsism Facebook
Juno Records Vinyl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:09 am 

Doing a shit run of vinyl is unheard of. There is a whole process that the music must go through before it even gets to the press. The test pressings are there to iron out any problems. So either the ZFT don't know how to listen to test pressings, or they've decided not to run the vinyl for financial reasons.

One thing is for sure, if a pressing plant fucked up a limited edition run of Hot Rats on 180 gram coloured vinyl the ZFT would be going fucking nuts about it as they'd have lost a lot of money.

There's not been a peep from them though and therefore I don't believe the 'defect' story. It's utter bullshit.

Solipsism Facebook
Juno Records Vinyl

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:21 pm 

I now accept I was wrong in this matter and would like to apologise to the ZFT, Newbury Comics and the Pressing Plant.

I should not have behaved the way I did and for this I apologise wholeheartedly.

I am still looking forward to Apostrophe and Over-Nite Sensation immensely and I'm sure Hot Rats will be awesome when it's fixed.

Sorry everyone. My conditions are no excuse for my behaviour although I hope you can forgive me.....again.

TCS :cry:

Solipsism Facebook
Juno Records Vinyl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:36 am 

I would guess that the problem with Hot Rats must have been specific to the colored pressing, so it wouldn't show up on the test press. When I've made my own LPs on colored vinyl, the test pressings were on regular black. I seem to recall that Newbury also had trouble with an Elvis Presley LP they did in two-colored vinyl a couple of years ago. They didn't cancel the release, but they had to scrap a certain number of copies.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:37 am 

Shrewnews wrote:
I would guess that the problem with Hot Rats must have been specific to the colored pressing, so it wouldn't show up on the test press. When I've made my own LPs on colored vinyl, the test pressings were on regular black. I seem to recall that Newbury also had trouble with an Elvis Presley LP they did in two-colored vinyl a couple of years ago. They didn't cancel the release, but they had to scrap a certain number of copies.

They got back to me and told me that there was no problems with the test pressings it was a problem at the pressing plant stage and also it was too big an error to even consider releasing. They said they'll be doing them again.

You're right though about the choice of colour, this new trend for splatter vinyl results in worse playback with higher surface noise from the record. It's highly collectable but there's a good argument that vinyl should be black. Although I still want the coloured ones!

Solipsism Facebook
Juno Records Vinyl