Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: the beatles remastered
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:27 pm 

the beatles’ remastered albums due september 9, 2009
Quote:
on september 9, 2009, after a nearly 22-year wait, digitally remastered versions of all of the beatles studio albums will be released, a press release has confirmed. each album will feature the track listings and artwork as it was originally released in the U.K. and come with expanded booklets including original and newly written liner notes and rare photos. for a limited time, each of the fab four’s 12 proper albums will be “embedded” with a brief documentary about its making. the rereleases will include the beatles’ 12 studio albums and 'magical mystery tour' as well as 'past masters vol. i and ii', which will be packaged as one collection. all 14 discs will be available with dvds of the documentaries in a stereo box set, and a set titled 'the beatles in mono' featuring 10 discs will also be released.

:arrow: .rolling stone
:arrow: .the beatles

8)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:21 pm 

no reply?

was this old news? I just found out yesterday...

well... tomorrow never knows...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:36 pm 
Banned

Yup. Old News. :P Bout' time though. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:50 pm 

J.C.GreasyVII wrote:
Yup. Old News. :P Bout' time though. 8)

so, this release date; september 9, has been official for some time already?

well well well...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:03 pm 

YAY !! .. the Jackson Family Trust,(JFT).. should benefit

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:58 am 

I found the newly remastered Beach Boys stuff to be amazing...I'm guessing modern technology will do the same for the Beatles recordings.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:10 pm 

Great news, thanks Lumpy, I didn't know. About time.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:13 pm 

whats wrong with the 1987 remasters? :P

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:53 pm 

I'm still waiting for the early 80's remixes with Ringo's son rerecorded drums with the Mammy Eleanor Rigby.

http://www.last.fm/music/fowl
http://www.deezer.com/en/#music/fowl
Your mental health requires buying my cd

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:23 am 

jimmy the hindu wrote:
whats wrong with the 1987 remasters? :P

Nothing. It is just another rehash for old loyal nostalgic poodles... 8)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:29 pm 

jimmy the hindu wrote:
whats wrong with the 1987 remasters?

well, for one thing they're 22 years old... which is a long time in the digital world.
and, the 1987 cd's weren't remastered. they were just analog to digital versions of the lp's.
and, most of the covers suck.

have you heard 'love'?
if not, that should you give an idea of what the new, remastered beatles catalog will sound like.

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Nothing. It is just another rehash for old loyal nostalgic poodles...

yeah, just like fz's approved 93 masters for ryko...
and, what if the zft decided to remaster those...?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:33 pm 

stride wrote:
YAY !! .. the Jackson Family Trust,(JFT).. should benefit

well, if we have to bring that up... (yawn)... here's the latest update on that sordid affair...
Quote:
sir paul mccartney has said he is not surprised that michael jackson didn't leave him the rights to the beatles' back catalogue, saying he didn't believe "for a second" that this would happen. despite rumours that jackson planned to bequeath his share of sony/atv publishing to mccartney, it was revealed last week that there was no such instruction in the will.

"some time ago, the media came up with the idea that michael jackson was going to leave his share in the beatles' songs to me in his will," mcCartney wrote on his website. "[it] was completely made up."

that "idea" was first reported by the mirror in january. jackson, their source alleged, had decided to build bridges with mccartney by drawing up a new will that left him his share of the beatles' back catalogue. but after Jackson's death on 25 June, there was no sign of this will – and the singer's assets were all left to a trust.

"the report is that I am devastated to find that he didn't leave the songs to me," mccartney wrote. "this is completely untrue. I had not thought for one minute that the original report [about the will] was true, and therefore the report that I'm devastated is also totally false."

in fact, jackson may scarcely have had any of the beatles' back catalogue left. the quietus reports that earlier this year, jackson sold all but 5% of his remaining 25% share in sony/atv – in an attempt to improve his financial situation.

jackson acquired the rights to the lennon/mccartney song catalogue in 1985, outbidding mccartney in the purchase of atv music. atv later merged with sony's publishing division, shares of which were considered some of jackson's most valuable property. though jackson and mccartney had collaborated on songs like 'the girl is mine' and 'say say say', the atv purchase permanently soured their relationship.

mccartney often complained of "having to pay" every time he performed songs such as 'hey jude', but his resentment has faded with time. "I got off that years ago," he told halifax's q104 radio station last thursday. it was something for a while I was very keen on and you can see why, naturally ... [but these] sort of things can eat you up."

after jackson's death, mccartney described the singer as a "massively talented boy-man with a gentle soul". "I feel privileged to have hung out and worked with michael," he said.

source :arrow: .guardian

ok, strider?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:51 pm 

speculation

nobody really knows, percentage-wise ae?, Lump-grump

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:05 pm 

stride wrote:
speculation
nobody really knows, percentage-wise ae?, Lump-grump

well, spike-o, why don't you do some research and try to find out...?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:44 pm 

I dont think PM gives a fuck about it now anyway hes got enough money and fame to last him until he die and beyond :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:17 pm 

the beatles were fucking fantastic. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:43 pm 

Lumpy Gravy wrote:

Har du köpt den?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:01 am 

Cynical minds suggested that the main purpose of this re-edition could actually be to extend copyright from new mixes.
Let's hope these remasters do really sound as good as expected.
In any case, I will wait and see if the buyers are satisfied after having been performing careful comparisons.
As well, I wonder if I would prefer the mono or the stereo version.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:13 am 

The Beatles were always Masters! 8)
I hope remastered isn't like reborn. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:16 am 

All coinciding w/ the release of Rock Band; Beatles version. You KNOW the JFT is raking in the $ on this one. Still, it is cool to see them all re-mastered.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:48 pm 

Lumpy Gravy wrote:
jimmy the hindu wrote:
Har du köpt den?

nej, jag stal den. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:04 pm 

Image wrote:
…now, details stand out that once blended into the background; over the years, these records have been embedded so deeply into our consciousness that even minor alterations in the relative sound values can be jarring: did the rooster crowing in 'good morning' always sound so intrusive?

from a technical point of view, the engineers behind this latest iteration of the beatles' sacred texts did exemplary work, carefully transferring as much information as possible from the analog tapes into the digital realm, the result is a clean, clearly defined sound, rich with details and carefully balanced spatial relationships; like an expertly restored soiled painting, the fresh colors and bold strokes stand out vividly, it just doesn't sound like the old records did

'the beatles in mono', the box of beatles monaural masters, corrects that to some degree; beatles producer george martin, who had no experience with rock 'n' roll records before the beatles, can be forgiven for isolating vocals on one side of the mix and other atrocities common to early pop stereo presentations, especially considering how hot his mono mixes were of early tracks like 'it won't be long' or 'hold me tight' from 'with the beatles,' or 'tell me why' and 'any time at all' from 'a hard day's night' … martin continued the practice of separate mono and stereo mixes of beatles albums through the 1968 double-record set 'the beatles' and some of the later mono mixes on lps such as 'rubber soul' or 'revolver' have some surprising sock and clearly benefited from scrupulous work in the studio

but an uncomfortable air lingers over the fastidiously redone stereo albums; there is too much space in the arrangements, slight tonal nuances leap to the foreground, carefully etched in the all too familiar production… recordings are always more than words and music; the way these sounds were recorded and produced stays fixed in our brains as surely as the melodies and chorus lines, these cryogenically preserved 21st century editions are littered with 'aha!' moments, some good, some not so good

it is wonderful to savor lost lambs of the catalog such as john lennon's 'hey bulldog,' as it is to re-experience the protean joys of the height of the band's rock 'n' roll period on 'beatles for sale,' before the beatles discovered they were artist; 'let it be,' the album where the lads labored so mightily trying to put some lightning back in the bottle, was not as ruined by producer phil spector as many have suggested, in fact, he probably saved it, even if 'long and winding road' is a little over the top… similarly, 'abbey road,' recorded after but released before 'let it be,' is the group's real benediction - a pastiche of outtakes and partly finished songs, stitched together by sheer force of personality and commanding production - even if the seams are showing somewhat more prominently in this latest version

of course, the lennon-mccartney songs hold up, their durability is nothing short of miraculous, compared with their '60s peers - perhaps not as melodically sound as bacharach and david, as rhythmically assured as smokey robinson or holland-dozier-holland, as musically fecund as goffin-king or slyly ingenious as leiber-stoller - mccartney and lennon nevertheless earned their standing as rock's gilbert and sullivan

the albums remain notoriously uneven; can't imagine why anyone would ever want to hear george martin's 'yellow submarine' instrumental score again, 'sgt. pepper's lonely hearts club band,' revealed in all its digital glory here, sounds more and more like a psychedelic curio; the white album, for all its grandeur, still also contains 'revolution no.9'

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:07 am 

Lumpy Gravy wrote:
Lumpy Gravy wrote:
jimmy the hindu wrote:
Har du köpt den?

nej, jag stal den. :wink:

I svenske kan man da ikke stole på. Men lyder det godt?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:15 am 

Lumpy Gravy wrote:
jimmy the hindu wrote:

well, for one thing they're 22 years old... which is a long time in the digital world.
and, the 1987 cd's weren't remastered. they were just analog to digital versions of the lp's.

have you heard 'love'?
if not, that should you give an idea of what the new, remastered beatles catalog will sound like.quote]

http://www.beatlesnews.com/news/the-bea ... icago.html

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:19 am 

jimmy the hindu wrote:
Lumpy Gravy wrote:
jimmy the hindu wrote:

have you heard 'love'?
if not, that should you give an idea of what the new, remastered beatles catalog will sound like.quote]

Apparently they did like the some of the 1987 mixes

http://www.beatlesnews.com/news/the-bea ... icago.html

Quote:
George Martin tweaked both "Help!" and "Rubber Soul" when the albums were issued on CD back in 1987. Although "Rubber Soul" was recorded on a four-track machine, most of its songs have severe stereo separation with vocals on one side and instruments on the other. George Martin completely remixed the album to bring the vocals down the center. The stereo remasters use the 1987 George Martin stereo mixes rather than the original 1965 mixes.
[/