Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 230 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Dogs
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:19 am
Posts: 72
Who has a dog and if so, what sort ? Our cat, Batty, died recently after a long and hopefully happy life. We have been thinking about getting a dog but it's all very tentative at the moment. My wife grew up with dogs, i didn't but really like the idea. The problem is that for 3 days of the week we would both be at work at the same time. Can certain breeds of dogs be left alone at home during the day ? I've received very different responses to this from friends, some of whom do actually leave their dog at home when they are at work and others who suggest this is wrong fo all dogs ?? Interested in your thoughts and experiences, even recommendations !! We do have a garden (smallish to medium), daughter grown up, so no children at home, a couple of good parks closeby.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dogs
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:41 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:32 am
Posts: 1547
a roll made out of exquisite white-bread and ready ...w'ere is the wolf... :idea: gonski

and less problems while trying to enjoy a picnic on the grass, eh wizz ;)

shoosh, the oscart goes back to wholly hoodless.

... ya, warm winter


Last edited by Sabretoophairy on Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dogs
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:16 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:32 am
Posts: 1547
you could then also look up into the sky ever so often, it's not out of this wotta?-) that cats will be chasing some rodents. Wouldn't be surprised at all anymore. In a lucky occurence, when finished with awes and ohs, speak to no-one in particular. Tell you =!-)

..laterz


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dogs
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:27 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:32 am
Posts: 1547
All living creatures from the entire flora & fauna are quite happy, you should see'em.

Many of these stunners are simply splendiferous. Et-C!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dogs
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:56 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:24 am
Posts: 1657
Location: The Dangerous Kitchener
I think that Sabretoophairy must have a cat as those last few posts sound like the ravings of someone far gone on a feline ear medicine addiction. :mrgreen:

We got dogs- two. Cat- one. Turtle- one.
Our guys are ok at home while we're at work. At first, I'd race home every day to let them out at lunch but soon realised that all I was doing was interfering with their daytime nap. We have had a couple of accidents of course, but not bad for 5 years. But obviously, breeds and circumstances differ and results may vary.

_________________
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro - HST

Miasma!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dogs
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:15 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:52 pm
Posts: 2945
Attachment:
beau10.jpg


2001-2009

Good dog.

Hey sam.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dogs
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:19 am
Posts: 72
A bit of a zappa tache going on there ? :) Fine looking chap.

Rope and Sam - how long does the basic training take with a puppy ?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dogs
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2003 10:50 am
Posts: 6036
Location: Málaga, Spain
We have 2 dogs and both are great :mrgreen: The oldest dog is Bess, she's about 10 now and is a spaniel/collie cross. She is most definitely the most child-friendly, good natured dog i've ever seen.

Image

Our other dog Daisy is a 6 month old Bichon Frise and she's mental. She's not good natured like Bess, but she's ok and is a lot of fun :mrgreen:

Image

_________________
Solipsism
Ambidextrous Records
Solipsism Twitter
Solipsism Facebook
Solipsism Spotify


Last edited by TheCentralScrutinizer on Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dogs
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:19 am
Posts: 72
TheCentralScrutinizer wrote:
We have 2 dogs and both are great :mrgreen: The oldest dog is Bess, she's about 10 now and is a spaniel/collie cross. She is most definitely the most child-friendly, good natured dog i've ever seen.

Image

Our other dog is a 6 month old Bichon Frise and she's mental. She's not good natured like Bess, but she's ok and is a lot of fun :mrgreen:

Image


CS, two beauties - that little one is cute as fuck. The missus has just walked in, looked at it and melted - sadly an effect i no longer have on her ( she has just informed me that i never had this effect on her anyway :cry: ). We like the look of manchester terriers but someone has said they can be a bit difficult ? A friend from 'backhome' in Norn Iron has a whippet and tells me they are great pets, and with me now living in the north of england and all that it would be the perfect match for my new flat cap.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dogs
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:52 pm
Posts: 2945
Manchester terriers are high-strung, but a lot of fun. They are "right-sized", too.

I don't know much about training dogs, I just go by what they already know. All dogs have innate traits that should be developed...even mutts. Good old Beau was a squirrel cur with a bit of Airedale and Cocker Spaniel. He was well behaved, and responded to hard voice commands. He never shit in the house, and we never had to train him not to. In fact, I have no idea where he shit...I never saw him shit once! Of course, we lived in the country and he pretty much ran wild.

If I ever get another dog, it will probably be a terrier of some sort. Big dogs are a big pain.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dogs
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:24 am
Posts: 1657
Location: The Dangerous Kitchener
Both of our dogs were adopted from the Humane Society at about 9 months old.

Ben (shown here at rest) is a australian shepherd/blue heeler cross.
Image
He was already housebroken when we got him but had been put up for adoption because he was a 'little' hyper. We took him to a couple of series of puppy school at Petsmart and worked at socialising him at the offleash park. He's going on 6 years now and is still hyper, still kind of crazy, has discovered random barking as a hobby, inserts himself between me and my wife at every opportunity and I don't even rightly remember when we were just a 'cat only' household. He went through his destructive phase, which was mercifully short, and has full run of the house and our full trust. He's an awesome mutt. He has a bit of an identity crisis though. When he's not trying to be a human (watches tv, sits in chairs etc.) he thinks he's a much smaller dog or maybe a cat. That's when he's either in a lap or lying across the back of the sofa.

Mo. Is a force of nature. She's a Shiba Inu (japanese hunting dog) cross rescue from Louisiana.
Image
She was an uphill battle with training which I attribute as much to the breed as to her time in the kennel system. Very stubborn, possessive, fierce and loyal. We're still working out her destructive quirks after 2 years and have narrowed it down to anything that moves in the backyard and shoes.

When it comes to training, with the exception of non-negotiables such as shitting outside, it's a fair balance of training the dog and the dog training you. A basic obedience course worked wonders, much to my surprise.

Whippets are cool, though a little high strung. My first dog, who moved to Canada with us, was a whippet/jack russell cross and she was the most nimble dog I've yet seen. Somewhere I've got a pic of her standing like a figurehead on the bow of a speedboat at full throttle on Georgian bay.

But I babble. If you want a dog, please research the breeds. Dog ownership is a real responsibility. But it pays back in spades.

_________________
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro - HST

Miasma!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dogs
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2002 7:21 am
Posts: 3114
Location: SLS
Image


My girl Jesse....pushing almost 15 yrs old but still plays like a pup altough her eyes are going.

She's a chiuaua mixed with spitz ?
Everybody in the hood where I live think she's a Shepherd pup so the step around her :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dogs
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:41 pm
Posts: 16865
We've got 3 - a rat terrier, black lab, and a jack-russell/shitzhu mix. (I call him jackshit sometimes.)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dogs
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:19 am
Posts: 465
Location: San Jose...not Reseda, CA
Here's my Shiba Inu. Her name is Yoko Bono. She's very loyal and a bit aggressive to other dogs (she thinks shes a big Akita) but she's a sweetheart. She does just fine while the mrs and me are at work during the day.
Image

_________________
Music > Everything
CLETUS must now, regretfully, dispose of the ones who refuse to alter their unmusical ways.
http://www.vulturesawait.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dogs
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2003 10:50 am
Posts: 6036
Location: Málaga, Spain
Nanook a - no no wrote:
TheCentralScrutinizer wrote:
We have 2 dogs and both are great :mrgreen: The oldest dog is Bess, she's about 10 now and is a spaniel/collie cross. She is most definitely the most child-friendly, good natured dog i've ever seen.

Image

Our other dog is a 6 month old Bichon Frise and she's mental. She's not good natured like Bess, but she's ok and is a lot of fun :mrgreen:

Image


CS, two beauties - that little one is cute as fuck. The missus has just walked in, looked at it and melted - sadly an effect i no longer have on her ( she has just informed me that i never had this effect on her anyway :cry: ). We like the look of manchester terriers but someone has said they can be a bit difficult ? A friend from 'backhome' in Norn Iron has a whippet and tells me they are great pets, and with me now living in the north of england and all that it would be the perfect match for my new flat cap.


Bichon Frises are great as they don't cast hair, well very little compared to other dogs and they have a great temperament. They really are amazingly cute, but deceptively tenacious haha.

Whippets are great dogs, they're very loving pets, great with children and also good at catching rabbits :mrgreen: They can leap amazing heights for their size also.

_________________
Solipsism
Ambidextrous Records
Solipsism Twitter
Solipsism Facebook
Solipsism Spotify


Last edited by TheCentralScrutinizer on Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dogs
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2003 10:50 am
Posts: 6036
Location: Málaga, Spain
Sam I Am wrote:
Both of our dogs were adopted from the Humane Society at about 9 months old.

Ben (shown here at rest) is a australian shepherd/blue heeler cross.
Image
He was already housebroken when we got him but had been put up for adoption because he was a 'little' hyper. We took him to a couple of series of puppy school at Petsmart and worked at socialising him at the offleash park. He's going on 6 years now and is still hyper, still kind of crazy, has discovered random barking as a hobby, inserts himself between me and my wife at every opportunity and I don't even rightly remember when we were just a 'cat only' household. He went through his destructive phase, which was mercifully short, and has full run of the house and our full trust. He's an awesome mutt. He has a bit of an identity crisis though. When he's not trying to be a human (watches tv, sits in chairs etc.) he thinks he's a much smaller dog or maybe a cat. That's when he's either in a lap or lying across the back of the sofa.

Mo. Is a force of nature. She's a Shiba Inu (japanese hunting dog) cross rescue from Louisiana.
Image
She was an uphill battle with training which I attribute as much to the breed as to her time in the kennel system. Very stubborn, possessive, fierce and loyal. We're still working out her destructive quirks after 2 years and have narrowed it down to anything that moves in the backyard and shoes.

When it comes to training, with the exception of non-negotiables such as shitting outside, it's a fair balance of training the dog and the dog training you. A basic obedience course worked wonders, much to my surprise.

Whippets are cool, though a little high strung. My first dog, who moved to Canada with us, was a whippet/jack russell cross and she was the most nimble dog I've yet seen. Somewhere I've got a pic of her standing like a figurehead on the bow of a speedboat at full throttle on Georgian bay.

But I babble. If you want a dog, please research the breeds. Dog ownership is a real responsibility. But it pays back in spades.



That Japanese dog is beautiful

_________________
Solipsism
Ambidextrous Records
Solipsism Twitter
Solipsism Facebook
Solipsism Spotify


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dogs
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:41 pm
Posts: 16865
Cletus wrote:
Here's my Shiba Inu. Her name is Yoko Bono. She's very loyal and a bit aggressive to other dogs (she thinks shes a big Akita) but she's a sweetheart. She does just fine while the mrs and me are at work during the day.
Image


My dad has a Shiba Inu named Shorty. Really nice dogs.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dogs
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:28 pm
Posts: 5494
Location: in the tiny dirt somewhere
Image
People ask me what type of dog Sam is. I usually say "brown."

And no, that's not my car...

_________________
I'm petulant, and I'm having a frenzy...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dogs
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:11 pm
Posts: 1262
Location: new.. perfect... AMERICA
Great photos, all. Dogs are just about the coolest creatures on Earth. More Zappa forum doggies (including my boy Bleu): http://www.zappa.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15392


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dogs
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:28 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:32 am
Posts: 1547
the torch never flops

Image

..going to illuminate other planets, Lucifer (dutch for matchstick ..them rollanders!-)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dogs
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:35 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:58 am
Posts: 22
two black labs,Angus 13 yrs and Maximus 8 yrs/Volumes/FireLite 80 GB/iPhoto Library/Modified/2006/Roll 145/IMG_1913.JPG


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dogs
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:44 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:24 am
Posts: 1657
Location: The Dangerous Kitchener
MentalTossFlycoon wrote:
Image
People ask me what type of dog Sam is. I usually say "brown."

And no, that's not my car...

It's not my car either. Is it your dogs'?

_________________
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro - HST

Miasma!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dogs
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:24 am
Posts: 1657
Location: The Dangerous Kitchener
Hey Calvin & Cletus, I'm sure you've heard the distinctive scream of the Shiba then? Yikes, that freaked me out the first time I heard Mo let one go. I thought she had managed to maim herself in her crate somehow but it was just because our friends' black lab had snuck into the back room and stolen one of her toys. Mo nearly had the crate on its' side as she was literally bouncing off the walls in anger.

Back when we were getting her back problem figured out I dropped her off one morning at the vet college for some more testing. When I went to pick her up after work they told me that she'd attacked anyone that tried to go in the examination room and that I was going to have to muzzle her and bring her back. Couldn't find a muzzle to fit her so I took her back anyway and tried to convince them that I could hold her while they sedated her. Despite my assurances they had extra staff on hand with a steel cage muzzle and other assorted torture devices; while Mo lay quietly and contentedly in my arms while an attendant swabbed and injected the anaesthetic. Next time I suppose they'll have tear gas on hand...

_________________
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro - HST

Miasma!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dogs
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:19 am
Posts: 465
Location: San Jose...not Reseda, CA
Sam I Am wrote:
Hey Calvin & Cletus, I'm sure you've heard the distinctive scream of the Shiba then? Yikes, that freaked me out the first time I heard Mo let one go. I thought she had managed to maim herself in her crate somehow but it was just because our friends' black lab had snuck into the back room and stolen one of her toys. Mo nearly had the crate on its' side as she was literally bouncing off the walls in anger.

Back when we were getting her back problem figured out I dropped her off one morning at the vet college for some more testing. When I went to pick her up after work they told me that she'd attacked anyone that tried to go in the examination room and that I was going to have to muzzle her and bring her back. Couldn't find a muzzle to fit her so I took her back anyway and tried to convince them that I could hold her while they sedated her. Despite my assurances they had extra staff on hand with a steel cage muzzle and other assorted torture devices; while Mo lay quietly and contentedly in my arms while an attendant swabbed and injected the anaesthetic. Next time I suppose they'll have tear gas on hand...


Yes I have. Just one more thing that makes me think these dogs are part Jackal or part Satan. Ive never had a dog that exibits some of the bizarre behaviors that shibas seem to. Kinda like this one...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62u3Gz3rfw4
shibas HATE to be pet on the ears

_________________
Music > Everything
CLETUS must now, regretfully, dispose of the ones who refuse to alter their unmusical ways.
http://www.vulturesawait.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dogs
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:41 pm
Posts: 16865
Nope, I didn't hear it, but I haven't been around my dad's dog all that much, he lives on the other end of the state.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 230 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group