Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 441 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: Heavy Fucking Metal!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:44 am 

yes,I agree with you on that. That's a good thing,, I think.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:01 am 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
i have a problem with the trite modifier such as, HEAVY

i think the natural reflex is to make our own definition of what we consider HEAVY.
for me
it means a lot of things.
the shining soundtrack for example... FUH KING HEV E.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:52 am 

+1, .....I mean after all, we didn't coin the phrase our self's in our time. Heavy could have evolved in to mean, Heavy laden with skilled moves", or Heavy Hitting Innovation, or even
"More Heavy" then what else is out there. But in the end. what they meant was, "Heavy Musical Tones" I'm sure, "Heavy In the Air of Sound and weight" even !, as in Loud and of ruffer movement and more sound then there was before that point.

I would conceder bands like Juthro Tull as Heavy, "Heavy Horses" for example, No Heavy Metal in that Album but its title uses the words none less. If no one coined the phrase before that,
they might have done so on a lot of things sense. But in the end, SOMEONE got to it first. We all know the story so no need to repeat it, Steppenwolf used the phrase frist with Heavy Metal Thunder
and then it was everywhere from there. Even if they where not first, and I'm not here to concrete that fact my self, It was around that time when it was used for the first time to descript that kind of Rock no doubt.

Now days its more confused then ever really with the invention of "Heaver Metal" sound or even back in the 90's really. Death Metal and the like that has already been stated, TO ME ! heavy could mean
"EVEN MORE" then just Rock I guess, like "Heavy Sounding" and full of more movement within the song, or just Not light ! or even Louder then Most,. but its still Rock and Roll no matter how you slice it.

IA

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:18 am 

Ian Anderson wrote:
Now days its more confused then ever really with the invention of "Heaver Metal"

ah, you mean that type of metal that makes one feel like vomiting?
i believe that already has a genre title... "nu metal", lol lol lol

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:07 am 

lol, +2. Yeah, if there is no skill or real talent level in any of it, I don't care what they call it as well my self. Its nothing I will listing to that's for damn sure..
I'm of the mind to say, "There is no more True Heavy Metal left", those days are gone in my vision of the deal. What we have now is even louder fools
tying to reinvent what was already made long ago but only now with no roots in how it got there to carry on with. Its like trying to reinvent a toaster,
Its Burnt Bread !,...How many damn ways can you burn toast for fuck sakes !, and they cant even use the term (Evolution) if they toss out what was
already learned from the past !, There destine to repeat it. Seems to me that they needed to take the good out of what others worked so hard to learn and then
build off that to get better for fuck sakes, Not shit can the hole thing and pretend it never happened, then try and reinvent the same damn toaster and have it
come out in a deferent markup altogether ! where the hell is the logic in that ?, that's right !- its not logical, its NOT METAL anymore as well, its some other
form of what ever they invented, Its Crap if you ask me ! but its their show, NOT MINE !, my show had good tasting Toast, Not Tofu- Soybean-Synthetic pretend bread !

lol, And let me just add for none believers, Its not about me in the world so I don't conceder what I have to say about it will make an real mark as well, Nor do I wish it to these days.
It seems to be about the new (NU) Generation of whoever is making their mark in the field now really !, its their mark after all !,....... if they wish to fallow it Like Rap,
who am I to stop them you know !. But if one of them tries to tell me my understanding of Our Metal was nothing compered to theirs !,..... well then, Fuck that !
and fuck their (NU) so called Metal Toast as well. I'm of the mind to say, that shit is no where near the skill level ours was, so all I can do at this stage is just let
them have their Reinvented World Toast like the rest of the fucked up Reinvented World !, ...They can just all cook their toast any damn way they please and then eat it, .....

Its all total CRAP ! but then again, So is the world today really. They did say that about our music and generation back in the day as well I know, So I cant really sell the hole
TRUE SKILL Level story now can I !. Its all way more deeper then that but, I'm far to busy working my way past the 95 % fools out there, I don't have time to try and convince
any of them anything at this stage really. After all, and Like I said ! if they wish to call that Metal, CALL IT WHAT EVER YOU LIKE !...... its not going to make it true in reality !
its all only in their minds, what is real is real, calling it something else is nuts, A piece of Toast by any other name IS STILL A PIECE OF FREAKING TOAST for fuck sakes,...lol

IA

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:31 am 

Ian Anderson wrote:
I'm of the mind to say, "There is no more True Heavy Metal left", those days are gone in my vision of the deal.

imo - saying this is the same as giving up the search. closing the door. building a wall.
imo again - there are people who have created interesting heavy metal above, beyond,
and usually nothing like what the "classic" dungeon masters have created.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:44 am 

Heavy could also mean overweight.

Lapsed -
Get on the case and create a "Fat Rock" thread where we could compare the relative merits of obese bands and artists and maybe songs that are about "fatness" (not to be confused with "phatness").

Thank you,

Management Temp

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:53 am 

sorry ku3, i don't steer this ship with the jayp wheel of 4th grade pisspoor insult yukery.
seems like that thread would be more up his alley.

(HAHAAA! "up his alley!" i sounded like the uncool version of a faggot there!)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:55 am 

lapsed maps wrote:
Ian Anderson wrote:
I'm of the mind to say, "There is no more True Heavy Metal left", those days are gone in my vision of the deal.

imo - saying this is the same as giving up the search. closing the door. building a wall.
imo again - there are people who have created interesting heavy metal above, beyond,
and usually nothing like what the "classic" dungeon masters have created.

Yeah, I didn't add that part in, the book was larger enough I thought. But I fully agree with that !, there are some good in deferent forms out there in all this indeed..
And, lol @ KUIII,........... Didn't Weird All already do that ?,..lol lol lol. Good to see you my the way KUIII, hope all is well in your household Sir !

IA

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:28 am 

Tony Iommi: What's in your bag? er, I mean, Trick Or Treat?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KguMSout4k8

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:48 am 

I like the part where he talks about Ian Anderson telling him he was fired !, That was Tull I'm pretty sure. The mans a lot less hard core now days that he's older and
one foot in closer to the grave I'm sure. I'm also sure there is a lot of bad one could say about him, as well as A hell of a lot of thanks to the edition of Metal he's given us all.

There are those that don't like Tony at all indeed, but then again, I'm not one of them. I don't have to live next door to the bloke as well. All I can do is remember
the killer Rock and Roll him and lads gave us over the years, and I'm grateful for that !- Cant believe he was so harsh about Ozzy there !. But then again, I'm sure they had words we didn't hear fully as well.

IA

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:29 pm 

Dio responds to Ozzy (sometime around 1981)

cue to 3:50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDA0l2uAam8

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:14 pm 

Interesting interview indeed. Not sure I ever heard Ronnie say those words on the deference's before. Of course Dio was right about the two bands Not being the same,
now with that said. They have some similarities because of Tony and the guys adding their knowledge in the mix indeed, how could they not. But the two Sabbath Bands
are NOT THE SAME. I'm more of a Dio Sabbath Fan my self just because I relate more with the music its self and the hard hitting sounds - More Involved if you will kinds of editions
but then again, I was deeply moved with Ozzy's edition to their style of Sabbath as well. Ozzy did that again with (Blizzard Of Oz) and a bit more hard hitting with more complicated
movements and the like as well as (Diary Of a Mad Man)., both where killer Albums mainly because of Randy Roads but then again- Tommy Aldridge on drums where a nice addition the
faster pace and more complicated moment styles of the two as well. We cant say that the Older Sabbath didn't add to the new adtion of Dio Sabbath as well and all they learned to make
it what it was with the new members also, I mean, They progressed, learned from what the knew and moved forward with out Ozzy, Or inspire of him even, but they are deferent bands indeed But still are Black Sabbath.

IA

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:43 am 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:38 am 

Which is it, fear or loathing .....

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 12:39 am 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz-clXsNWVo

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:08 am 

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:17 am 
Banned

The new Destruction record called UNDER ATTACK is fucking awesome!!!

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:22 pm 

Ok so, Heavy metal, What is it really. This is Gary Moore On Guitar and Tommy Aldridge on drums doing a piece called Dallas Warhead.
You freaking tell me if this isn't Metal,.. Its about as heavy as it gets as well for Just a lead guitar and drums,... And if you don't conceder it Metal,
or one of the most skilled and hardest drummers in the field of Metal back in the 80's, you defiantly need to reevaluate what real skill is with out a doubt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUbqrph3_Ls

IA

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:29 pm 

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:32 pm 

Yep, One of them as well, Tommy played on Blizzard Of Oz as well as Diary Of a Mad Man as well....Both are about the best to ever do this job really !

IA

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 1:47 am 

Ian Anderson wrote:
Heavy metal, What is it really.

that is up to you. and me.

and them.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:51 am 

Agreed for the most part, but if it were up to me, it would all be called ROCK or heavy Rock !, or Heavy Rock & Roll as it were like the old days really.
.......................I can indeed see why there is a confusion about the term still after this long as well really, I mean. YES ! even crap like Cinderella
and Rat and other ONLY OUT FOR THE MONEY bands are in the same category of Heavy Metal. THEY ARE METAL ! and or/ Rock and roll as well
their just not very good at it in my book if you ask me. Hell ! even Frank was Metal at times and even Rock and Roll to the bone. Most anything with Blues base lines in it is Rock.

Look at the Eagles and others, One could never call them Metal but you could call them rock or County Or Easy listing, But you CANT call them Metal ! and be accurate on the term
but if you stand Joe Walsh out on stage and let him cut lose for the crowd, You will indeed see and hear some VERY HEAVY TONES as well as Rock and Roll to the bone in most of it.

Gary Moore liked to think he was Blues all the way but he damn well new he was an innovator, AS HES DEAD NOW, But he knew that he was and is bases in the same clay that all other
Rock and Rollers are as well in the mix, THE BLUES !. its the term HEAVY I think needs to stand out more to be in that class seeing, THEY NEVER coined the phrase them self's, Instead
it was the Medea that did that job really as well as the fans. The only reason the promoters ran with it is that, IT SELLS ! and anything that sells is and can be used in the game.....
so in the end, The Media sells it and, We Al live the rolls... so what is Metal !- Heavy Rock and Roll in the end..... The other Crap like Death Metal, Its mostly trash in my book.
its Not really based in the blues and is stand alone music if you can use the term. I don't want it in the same classification my self, I mean if its not Blues or ROCK AND ROLL based, I don't need it !
Oh Yeah ! OR ANY DAMN GOOD, I mean, If there is not true talent in any of it, I DONT CARE WHAT YOU CALL IT,.. its fools music in my book, and or CRAP ! just like Rap !. Sorry Easy E !, but I don't gang bang and or live in Compton,
I guess I will have to stick to real performers and their interments instead of my fantasies of what that all is and get rich off it. And beside, its not my belief in the words that it teaches our kids. ITS A DAMN CRIME really !...
Just a Flat out Crime and Travesty in the world of Music and Talent or True Musicians the way I see it.... If you see it some other way, YOU Listen to the shit, but keep your degradation to your own life styles please !

LONG LIVE ROCK & ROLL

IA

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 12:25 am 

i am not looking at the eagles.
and i am not calling them county.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 6:00 am 

The world !!!, .......When I speak, I speak about ALL IN THE WORLD- not one person..lol lol, Its not about the one, its about the Masses !,...mans biggest fault is to think all is about the one.

IA

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 441 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next