Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:43 pm 

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/roy-estr ... lestation/

Roy Estrada, bassist and a founding member of both Frank Zappa's Mothers of Invention and Little Feat, was sentenced to 25 years in prison without parole for repeatedly molesting a child under the age of 14. Estrada pleaded guilty to the charge back in January, for which he was indicted in March 2008.

"The victim's family was unaware that he was a convicted sex offender," Melody McDonald, spokeswoman for the Tarrant County, Texas district attorney's office, referring to Estrada's 1994 conviction for commiting a lewd act with a child. Estrada served six years for that crime. "Estrada was sentenced to 25 years in a plea bargain agreement and is not eligible for parole. He will be 93 years old before he is released from prison."

Estrada played with the Mothers of Invention from its earliest days in 1964 before leaving in 1969 to form Little Feat with Lowell George. He stayed in Little Feat for three years before joining Captain Beefheart's Magic Band. He returned to Zappa in 1976, with whom he continued to work until 1983. He also performed with several bands comprised of ex-Mothers in tribute to Zappa following his death in 1993.

Estrada was known by several nicknames. Captain Beefheart called him "Orejón," or "Big Ears," and on the 'FZ:OZ' album documenting Zappa's 1976 tour of Australia, Zappa referred to him as "Roy Ralph Moleman Guacamole Guadalupe Hidalgo Estrada."

Solipsism Facebook
Solipsism Spotify

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:59 am 

I've wondered the same thing many times.
Those that were in touch with him must have known what he was inside for. He must have come out of prison in 2000 or thereabouts and he played with the Grandmothers after that. He must have told them what he was in for?

But saying that, how could all of the older Mother's talk so fondly about him in interviews (like the DVD about Zappa and the Mothers in the 1960's) if they knew that he had been inside for child molestation??

I don't get it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:21 pm 

Just to be clear, I am trying to understand the following -
If you recently got back together with an old friend or acquaintance that had been in prison, you would ask what they had been inside for. If it was tax evasion or something harmless, you may shrug it off or even laugh it off but to learn that it was child molestation how could you possibly have anything to do with that person.

Is it naïve to think that Estrada spun them a story about why he was inside?

I saw him in the Grandmothers in the UK in 2008 with Don Preston and Napoleon Murphy Brock.
When I saw an earlier incarnation of the Grandmothers in the UK, in 1997 with Jimmy Carl Black and Bunk Gardner, Estrada would have been in prison

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:09 pm 

I'm puzzled about this too. I used to think that the ending chant of the Illinois Enema Bandit was kind of referencing his crimes, but now that I googled him I've found out that he went to jail much later (in the nineties). I don't know what to think.

thenoisydrum wrote:
Is it naïve to think that Estrada spun them a story about why he was inside?

That's the only reasonable explanation I can think of too.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:28 pm 

^^^Yeah, it’s probably not something he would want known. It would be pretty easy to say you were in for drugs or something else.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:11 pm 

A couple of possibilities:

1.At least one member of the Grandmothers knew the details of his crime(s) and knowingly neglected to mention it to the rest of the band. "Oh, by the way..."

or

2.All members of the Grandmothers knew and decided to include Estrada anyway because he would -perhaps in their way of thinking- be a much needed member that they just had to have instead of just changing their setlist to get rid of any Estrada vocals and /or just hire someone else to fill in that role. They decide to set their values aside to make some money.

They should have ended their friendships and all contact with him. How do they explain that to their own grandchildren I wonder. For anyone to look the other way to make some money by including a known and convicted pedophile is WRONG.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:18 am 

Yeah, it's an uncomfortable thought, but it's very likely that they knew about it.