Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:46 pm 

I agree.
And then he just... erupts with this "fuck shit fucking asshole fuck off"ing!

Still might be a respectable guy though.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:13 pm 

lapsed maps wrote:
I agree.
And then he just... erupts with this "fuck shit fucking asshole fuck off"ing!

Still might be a respectable guy though.

Dude Arkay is one of the people I have met through Plook on Tour, Him and His wife are wonderful people, we have a little home here and it is not the type of site you are used too, just chill Lax and everything will be fine... :idea:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:20 am 

Plook wrote:
Dude Arkay is one of the people I have met through Plook on Tour, Him and His wife are wonderful people

Dude what I was doing there was basically just... not being serious.
The post in it's entirety varified that much.
Also, I have never met Arkay (or his wife... not sure how she got dragged into this, but...),
how could I have anything derogatory to say about him? her? them?

Plook wrote:
we have a little home here

OK, and?
Am I disrupting... something?
You seem to be the only one with ruffled feathers (yet again).
Perhaps you could explain why. Or - what is it about my contributions here
that seem to repeatedly rub you in all the wrong ways?

Plook wrote:
it is not the type of site you are used too

1. Hmm, another baseless judgement call? SUE PRIZE SUE PRIZE.

2. What type of site are you implying (with lack of background info) that I am used "too"?

Plook wrote:
just chill Lax and everything will be fine...

Yes, because I am clearly the one who needs to chill Lax.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:55 am 

Grace Hopper

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grace_Hopper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:21 am 

Andy Mapp.
Real good bloke, not well himself.
Every year for the last few years has been putting on charity gigs for a childrens hospice, and every year, all the best acts in the area get to play it.

http://www.malverngazette.co.uk/news/ma ... d=12890569

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:51 am 

I suppose I should say something about now, but I'm not sure what.
I have a weird sense of humor and I think that lm does as well. And he can be a bit of a dick. Many of us here are a bit of a dick now and then.
Otherwise, how could one rationalize a post like this one?

http://www.zappa.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8944&start=325#p636320

I have no idea when I last addressed that guy, but there you go, a long-time member having a random meltdown.
Anyway, it seems that lm has pissed off more than a couple people around here, since I'm getting pms instructing me not to talk to lm as he's a troll. I'm not sure what the current parlance qualifies as a troll anymore, but if so, many of our regular members are probably trolls. I don't search out people's IP addresses or perform endless writing-style comparisons. Maybe lm is some ex-forum member doing some dastardly deed that I'm unaware of, I have no idea. Mostly, as far as I know, he's just stepped on some toes.

Thanks for the compliments Plook. Mrs. Arkay asks about you now and then as I keep her up on your travels and whatnot. Yer welcome for dinner the next time yer in the area, of course.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:00 am 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
I have a weird sense of humor and I think that lm does as well.

Let's find out! What is funniest?

A) elderly people falling

B) elderly people getting hit by automobiles

C) farts

?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:04 am 

Answer - None of them, it is a false question. Generally, when I need a ruling, I go by "If it bends, its funny. If it breaks, its not."

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:07 am 

Oh, I get it. As in: farts bend around corners and enter rooms unannounced.
Or break as in "break wind"?

Stop talking in codes. Please.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:09 am 

Codes? Hmmm... maybe yer not as smart as I thought you were... I guess we'll see.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:14 am 

Yes, there are codes everywhere. Just... how much are you willing to b e n d?
And please, do not ever thought I am as smart. It only leads to nowhere.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:18 am 

If they are everywhere, why should I stop with them? Bend ratios do not lend themselves to prognostication or humor-based rules-of-thumb. Am I gonna hafta be the funny one now, or is it your turn yet?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:32 am 

If they are everywhere, why should I stop with them?

I don't want you to stop with them now. That was then.

Bend ratios do not lend themselves to prognostication or humor-based rules-of-thumb.

Depends on who is doing the benting.

Am I gonna hafta be the funny one now, or is it your turn yet?

You. Please. Soon.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:40 am 

Have you ever met someone who was only funny when they weren't trying?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:50 am 

(oh cool, I love this game!) Yes I have! MY TURN!

Have you ever met someone who walks super fast?
I am not talking about a brisk-walking mall walker. Or someone doing it for health benefits.
Are those people always late for something? Or just nuts?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:08 am 

comme ci comme ça

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:07 am 

comme ci comme ça

Excellent grammar with the cedille, Arkay. Love it!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:19 pm 

I read elsewhere that there's trouble brewing in this thread.

It seems to have lapsed from intelligent discourse into stupidity. Remarkable!

Oh, yeah. I, too, have met the remarkable Arkay and Miss Kitty, while on tour.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:03 am 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
I've have posted about him in the forum elsewhere, but this seems to be appropriate:

Alan Turing, British mathematician, logician, cryptanalyst, and computer scientist. He was highly influential in the development of computer science, giving a formalisation of the concepts of "algorithm" and "computation" with the Turing machine, which can be considered a model of a general purpose computer. Turing is widely considered to be the father of computer science and artificial intelligence. Turing's homosexuality resulted in a criminal prosecution in 1952, when homosexual acts were still illegal in the United Kingdom. He accepted treatment with female hormones (chemical castration) as an alternative to prison. Turing died in 1954, just over two weeks before his 42nd birthday, from cyanide poisoning.

Alan Turing: Reflections on his personal life (#1)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7vWxXSC4-k

Alan Turing: A retrospective - Audio
Alan Turing reflections on his personal life

Introduction:
Mathematician and code breaker Alan Turing has been described as the father of computer science but his personal life was fraught with tragedy. On the centenary of Alan Turing’s birth Professor Timothy Chappell from The Open University reflects on Turing’s personal life within the context of the society in which he lived.

Timothy Chappell:

"Alan Turing was born in what was then British India on June the 23rd 1912, he had a fairly ordinary upbringing first in India and then in Britain at Sherborne school. He was an undergraduate at Cambridge at King’s College. He went to Princeton on a prize fellowship before the war. During the Second World War he
worked as a civil servant, after the war he was employed by the University of Manchester, and he died in Manchester in 1954 That Alan Turing was not quite your average Englishman or your average public schoolboy was already evident from an early age. He was the kind of person who was interested by
mechanical problems, by logical problems, by mathematical problems. He wasn’t at all interested in what was then the dominant part of the public school syllabus which was about Latin and Greek and about the appreciation of ancient poetry and indeed the writing of ancient poetry. He fell in love with another schoolboy called Christopher Morcom and this was Turing’s first love, like all his other loves during his life it was a love for someone of his own sex and this of course was not at all the way that people were supposed to behave at the time. It was something that Turing was secretive about, it was also something that caused him grave emotional distress because Christopher Morcom died suddenly of an infection contracted from infected milk and Alan Turing found himself bereft for the first time of somebody that he loved. The episode had an enduring influence on his life, it meant that Turing was no longer able to take seriously the ideas which pervaded the public school environment around him, the ideas of religion and of spirituality and of another life beyond this life another world beyond this world.

Turing went from Sherborne school to King’s College Cambridge an environment in many ways perfectly designed to receive him. King’s College Cambridge at the time in the late 1930’s was the world’s centre for a certain kind of outlook, the kind of outlook which is visible in what we know call the Bloomsbury Group in writers like Virginia Woolf and E.M Forster and in thinkers like Bertrand Russell G.E. Moore. Cutting away from all the frills and the gothic impertinences of the Victorian past, the Bloomsbury approach was to go direct to the heart of the problem and to treat it with sincerity and authenticity and without looking backwards. SoTuring found himself in an environment were the simple ability to look straight and clearly at a problem, to reduce it to it’s simplest elements and to answer it in the simplest possible terms
was a virtue which was prized above all else. And that undoubtedly was Turing’s greatest gift, he was someone who could cut to the heart of the matter, he was someone who could give an apparently naive answer to a complex question and show how that problem yielded to the simple approach. Turing embraced King’s College and King’s College embraced Turing.

Turing became engaged during his time at Bletchley Park, engaged to be married but something made him resist. He was open to his fiancé about his own homosexuality she was unfazed about this, Turing was not so unfazed that he thought he could go on with it, Turing withdrew from the relationship. In employment after the war in the new computing department at the University of Manchester, Turing sought new ways to deal with the enigma of his own personality. He
became someone who was quite prepared to look up and down Oxford road in Manchester for quick liaisons with members of his own sex, and there was a sense in which Turing in doing this was doing no more or no less than many other people have done before or since. There was also a sense in which what he was doing displayed what the government at the time might well have viewed as a dangerous naivety. ‘Wars breed permissiveness in morals’ as the writer T.H White once remarked. This certainly happened during the Second World War in society at large, perhaps though it’s hard to tell it happened it Turing’s life to. Whatever the truth about that may be, it’s equally certain that after the war there was something of a
moral backlash. Britain in 1950 was a society in recoil from the permissiveness of the Second World War.
It was a society in the grip of the Cold War, the new war against an unknown foe and it was a society closely associated with what was going on in America at the time which was of course McCarthyism. Senator Joe McCarthy and his followers were keen to stamp out all un-American activities British intelligence was now closely linked with American intelligence and it remained the case that Alan Turing had in his head crucial classified information about how Britain had fought and won the Second World War.
Information that could hardly fail to be relevant in the new struggle against the new threat from the east; Stalin’s Soviet Russia.

Churchill’s civil service headed by Sir Stewart Menzies was keen to ensure not exactly that un-American activities should be stamped out but at any rate the Britain’s security should not be compromised by communists and homosexuals, homosexual activity was at the time a criminal offence. What Turing was engaging in was a kind of activity which would probably be viewed as a security risk even today. In
1951 Alan Turing was having a fling with a young man aged 19 called Arnold Murray, Arnold Murray had friends who were inclined to a little burglary. It seems that Murray tipped them off that Turing’s house in Winslow was something of a soft target. Turing found his house burgled, reported the burglary to the police and told the police about his suspicions about who might have done it having himself apparently some
reason to doubt Arnold Murray. The police inquired further, how did Turing know Arnold Murray, Turing with a kind of self destructive naivety was completely frank about how he knew Arnold Murray and about what the nature of his relationship was. To Turing’s astonishment the police started investigating him, he became
the subject of their inquires rather than the burglary to his house which had happened. Turing was prosecuted for homosexual offences and found guilty.

In letters and conversation Turing seems to have made light of his conviction and of the rather grim options that he was confronted with by the judge which were estrogen treatment, what is sometimes called chemical castration or else prison. Turing opted for the
Estrogen treatment. It’s hard not to believe that wasn’t greatly disturbed by all this, for the remainder of his life he was undergoing the estrogen treatment, the chemical castration and the rest of his life was not that long. Turing had lost his security clearance he was now officially regarded as a security risk by MI5 and this changed the nature of his work. Turing’s acquaintance the famous Cambridge philosopher Ludwig Wittgenstein liked to relax by going to the cinema in Cambridge and watching western movies. Alan Turing himself was rather fond of the movies of Disney, in particular he was fond of the famous 1930’s movie ‘Snow White and the Seven Dwarves’. He would recite with glee the famous scene from that film where Snow White’s evil enemy, the wicked queen douses the apple in poison which she intends Snow White to find and to eat from. On the 7th of June 1954 Alan Turing was found dead in his bed, in Manchester with next to his bed, a bite removed from it – an apple which had been doused in cyanide. It’s possible that as it’s sometimes said today he had been driven to despair by the way that he had been pe rsecuted for his own homosexual lifestyle.

It’s possible also that the treatment with estrogen, had led him as estrogen hormone treatment sometimes does into violent mood swings and that in one of those violent mood swings he had gone so far as too take his own life. What is certain is that that’s how he died and that thus the life of one of the most brilliant mathematicians in the world in the 20th Century came to an end."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:14 pm 

What was done to Alan Turing by people with a tiny fraction of his imagination makes me ashamed to be a human. And what happened to him is just the tip of the iceberg.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:33 am 

Lewis "Chesty" Puller, USMC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:13 am 

Robert O'Neill...........not quite the level of Chesty, as he would acknowledge, but that said, i would follow Rob to the gates of hell.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:28 am 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:56 am 

Nadia Boulanger taught many of the 20th Century’s greatest musicians. She may have been the greatest music teacher ever, writes Clemency Burton-Hill.

By Clemency Burton-Hill

19 April 2017

“The most influential teacher since Socrates” is how one leading contemporary composer describes Nadia Boulanger. As unlikely as it seems, this unassuming-looking lady of Romanian, Russian and French heritage, who was born in 1887 and lived to the age of 92, did indeed end up shaping the sound of the modern world.

Her roster of music students reads like the ultimate 20th Century Hall of Fame. Leonard Bernstein. Aaron Copland. Quincy Jones. Astor Piazzolla. Philip Glass. John Eliot Gardiner. Daniel Barenboim. Elliott Carter. [Egberto Gismonti]. All these musical giants, so different yet so groundbreaking in their own ways, studied with Boulanger. She gave them a rigorous grounding in academic musical analysis, yet somehow enabled each of them to find their own distinct language: perhaps the very definition of what makes a great teacher.

It is no exaggeration, then, to consider Boulanger the most important musical pedagogue of the modern – or indeed any – era. Although her teaching base was in the family apartment at 36 Rue Ballu in the ninth arrondisement of Paris, she also taught in the US and UK, working with leading conservatoires including the Juilliard School, the Yehudi Menuhin School, the Royal College of Music and the Royal Academy of Music.

With such a contribution, she might also arguably be described as the most important woman in the history of classical music. Not that she’d appreciate attention being drawn to her gender. Being female was, for Boulanger, no apparent barrier to achievement. In addition to her remarkable teaching career, she became the first woman to conduct many of the major US and European symphony orchestras, including the BBC Symphony, Boston Symphony, Hallé Orchestra and New York Philharmonic. Boulanger was also a mentor to Igor Stravinsky and an ardent champion of his music when much of the musical world remained unconvinced of its genius. She was responsible for bringing to life a number of ground-breaking world premieres.

Hidden figure?

But be honest: have you ever heard of her? Boulanger’s name remains largely unknown outside niche classical music circles, despite the astonishing impact she had on the soundtrack to all our lives, not just in the realm of classical but in jazz, tango, funk and hip-hop. It is frankly unimaginable that a man with a similar degree of influence over 20th Century music would have been so ignored.

Yet Boulanger was no shrinking violet. By all accounts she was a fierce, uncompromising and forceful woman: charismatic, loyal and passionate but also complex and complicated. She was riven with envy for her younger sister Lili, a composer of genius who, at 19, had been the first woman ever to win the prestigious Prix de Rome competition but by 24 was dead of intestinal tuberculosis (now known as Crohn’s Disease). Nadia, like Lili, had also entered the Paris Conservatoire to study composition at the tender age of 10, but she never received much acclaim as a composer. After Lili’s death, rather than allowing her talented late sister’s name to fade, as many jealous siblings might have, she made it a mission of her life and career to ceaselessly promote and champion Lili’s musical genius, programming her works alongside more canonical repertoire right up until the end of her career.

It’s quite a stretch to make the imaginative leap from the salons of early 20th Century Paris to the disco-strewn beats of Quincy Jones, producer of choice for everyone from Frank Sinatra to Aretha Franklin to Michael Jackson. But at last year’s BBC Proms, Q, as he is known, told me in all earnestness that he owed everything he was as a musician to his early instruction, in 1950s Paris, under Nadia Boulanger. It tickles me to imagine what Boulanger – who died in 1979 – would have made of, say, Thriller, which Jones produced for Jackson three years later and which remains the top-selling album of all time, having shifted over 65 million copies. But Q told me that Boulanger had a singular way of encouraging and eliciting each student’s own voice – even if they were not yet aware of what that voice might be.

For a little old grey-haired French lady, she was also, he joked, terrifying. “She used to tell me all the time: Quincy, your music can never be more, or less, than you are as a human being. Unless you have the life experience and have something to say that you’ve lived, you have nothing to contribute at all… She was strong. Really strong.”

We should raise a cheer to the woman who contributed so much, with so little fanfare, to the history of 20th and 21st Century music. Don’t take my word for it. “Nadia Boulanger,” says Quincy Jones, “was the most astounding woman I ever met in my life.” And he’s met a few.

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20170308-the-greatest-music-teacher-who-ever-lived

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:19 am 

Hero of Alexandria (c. 10 AD - c. 70 AD) was a mathematician and inventor from Alexandria, Roman Egypt. He invented the world's first steam engine, the first vending machine, the first automated pipe organ, the first automatic doors, a programmable cart, and the world's first mechanical play.