Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 5:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 5:48 am 

Iron Maiden are good, and if you get "Best of the Beast" you can try and find the FZ refferance in the cover  ;D

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 5:48 am 

Slayer- Reign in Blood<br>Danzig- I, II<br>Megadeth- Peace sells, So far, So good So what. and rust in piece.<br>Misfits- All of them<br>Pantera- First two albums.<br>Black Sabbath- Ozzy era<br>Suicidal Tendencies- All of them<br>Venom- All of them<br>Down- Nola<br>Faith no more- all of them<br>Slipknot- Debut, and Iowa<br>System of a Down- Debut, Toxicity<br>King Diamond- Abigail and Them.<br>Merciful Fate- all<br>Cannibal Corpse<br>Type o Negative<br>Samhain<br><br>

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 5:55 am 

<br><br>Image<br><br>You should really check this album out. I love the way it was produced. Really dry.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 1:01 pm 

I see the name Pantera mentioned a lot in this thread. This is where they started from:<br><br>Image<br>That later stuff sounds kind of ok at times, but i have trouble taking it seriously.<br><br>

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 1:59 pm 

Haven't heard Cowboys..., I have Vulgar Display though.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 2:07 pm 

Just in case the picture disappears again, here´s a link to some cheesy pictures of early pantera:<br><br>http://www.geocities.com/cowboysfromhellcfh/Old_Ass_Pantera_Pics.html<br><br>

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 2:09 pm 

The picture won't actually be there, unless you load it first. Geocities won't allow "hotlinking" so you need to find a free file host that does allow such actions.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 2:24 pm 

[quote author=poncho link=board=general;num=1037538082;start=60#61 date=05/09/03 at 17:09:39]The picture won't actually be there, unless you load it first. Geocities won't allow "hotlinking" so you need to find a free file host that does allow such actions.[/quote]<br><br>D´oh! Well i am a (computer) retard  :P..nevermind. However, when i first saw those early pics i was quite surprised..

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:31 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:23 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:43 pm 

jimmy the hindu wrote:

Has any band that added a member's name to the title been more successful than they were before?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:09 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:31 pm 

Doesn't get better than this, for me at least.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:14 pm 

poncho wrote:
Iron Maiden are good, and if you get "Best of the Beast" you can try and find the FZ refferance in the cover  ;D

Yeah. Something about being a dental floss farmer from Montana on a t-shirt slogan.

Machine Head and Mastodon are about the state of the art right now in metal. Mastodon particularly might appeal to the prog-lovers here.

Reverend Bizarre for a good bit of Doom.

I'm hoping Devin comes back with some heavy stuff, after his quadrilogy is complete.

Metal!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:54 pm 

My choice for the award for:
The Heaviest
But, I love their other stuff too...
ImageImageImageImage

With the reviews showing a B3 in the mix, I've been hesitant to get their most recent...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:15 pm 

Blue Cheer - OutsideInside, Lucifer's Friend - ST, Dust - ST, Frijid Pink - ST, Status Quo - Quo, there's too many from the late sixties through mid seventies to name. Those are just some that came to mind quickly.

More obvious one's
AC/DC - anything Bon Scott
Aerosmith - throughout Nine Lives
Sabbath - all, but Ozzy more so
DP - anything Ian Gillan

"Whose foot is to be the measure to which ours are all to be cut or stretched? Is a priest to be our inquisitor, or shall a layman, simple as ourselves, set up his reason as the rule for what we are to read and what we must believe?" T.J.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:19 am 

Suomalainen wrote:
Has anybody else ever marveled at how Ozzy's voice has changed through the years? <br>I just listened to Black Sabbath's first album and then to their last Ozzy-album "never say die". Is this the same singer on the two albums??? On the first Sabbath album Ozzy sounds completely different, more low-voiced and not "singing-voice-like". How can his voice change so much?<br>I actually prefer his "early voice". He just sounds more...more.. something (can't come up with a good word).<br><br>It's hard for me to see that it's the same Ozzy in the early Black Sabbath records and in the 80's more "hair" period.<br>He even doesn't look the same IMHO. :o

I don't believe it is Ozzy on his newer stuff. I had heard that Sharon found some guy who sang on the albums for Ozzy starting back in the early 90's and also they would hide him backstage so he could basically, sing for him live as well. I had my doubts but a friend said he saw the guy back stage at a show before they hid him well. Another friend works a venue and they told them all a few days after Ozzfest that he had this guy stashed backstage and they had to keep it a secret from the common crew working the venue. On some of the Ozzfest recordings from 10 years ago, you could clearly hear 2 voices at times, Ozzy, and his singer. You can also hear the changes if you listen any Ozzy album and the reunion album he did w/ Sabbath a few years ago. He can barely talk or walk and needs TelePrompTers, Sharon is marketing Ozzy from days gone by and it is sad. Just dress him up like a circus ringmaster and send him out to introduce bands and shoot his water and confetti cannon. He really is a clown now. I won't take away what he did for metal 20-30 years ago, but he is done now, IMO. Someday, someone will let it all out and the truth will be told.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:46 am 

poncho wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:58 am 

Tripmyster wrote:
poncho wrote:

There's a rather obvious Montana reference in the booklet.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:00 am 

thejonesfactor wrote:
Suomalainen wrote:
Has anybody else ever marveled at how Ozzy's voice has changed through the years? <br>I just listened to Black Sabbath's first album and then to their last Ozzy-album "never say die". Is this the same singer on the two albums??? On the first Sabbath album Ozzy sounds completely different, more low-voiced and not "singing-voice-like". How can his voice change so much?<br>I actually prefer his "early voice". He just sounds more...more.. something (can't come up with a good word).<br><br>It's hard for me to see that it's the same Ozzy in the early Black Sabbath records and in the 80's more "hair" period.<br>He even doesn't look the same IMHO. :o

I don't believe it is Ozzy on his newer stuff. I had heard that Sharon found some guy who sang on the albums for Ozzy starting back in the early 90's and also they would hide him backstage so he could basically, sing for him live as well. I had my doubts but a friend said he saw the guy back stage at a show before they hid him well. Another friend works a venue and they told them all a few days after Ozzfest that he had this guy stashed backstage and they had to keep it a secret from the common crew working the venue. On some of the Ozzfest recordings from 10 years ago, you could clearly hear 2 voices at times, Ozzy, and his singer. You can also hear the changes if you listen any Ozzy album and the reunion album he did w/ Sabbath a few years ago. He can barely talk or walk and needs TelePrompTers, Sharon is marketing Ozzy from days gone by and it is sad. Just dress him up like a circus ringmaster and send him out to introduce bands and shoot his water and confetti cannon. He really is a clown now. I won't take away what he did for metal 20-30 years ago, but he is done now, IMO. Someday, someone will let it all out and the truth will be told.

I highly doubt there is a guy hiding backstage singing for Ozzy. Have you ever seen him live? His voice is horrible live. Makes no sense.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next