Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 5:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 11:44 am 

Regarding heavy metal (I'm not sure if this is on topic or not, but what the fuck...):<br><br>I play in a stupid little band, and one of the things that amuses us is for the guitar to play 'Iron Man', the bass to play 'Smoke on the Water' and for someone to sing 'In-a-gadda-da-vida' over the top, with the drums trying to keep everything together.<br><br>Everyone who's seen this thinks we're out of our minds.<br><br>

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 11:43 am 

"Has anybody else ever marveled at how Ozzy's voice has changed through the years?  <br>I just listened to Black Sabbath's first album and then to their last Ozzy-album "never say die". Is this the same singer on the two albums On the first Sabbath album Ozzy sounds completely different, more low-voiced and not "singing-voice-like". How can his voice change so much? <br>I actually prefer his "early voice". He just sounds more...more.. something (can't come up with a good word). <br> <br>It's hard for me to see that it's the same Ozzy in the early Black Sabbath records and in the 80's more "hair" period. <br>He even doesn't look the same IMHO.  "<br><br>I posted this again for not enough of you have replied to this one! >:(

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 11:53 am 
Banned

[quote author=Suomalainen link=board=general;num=1037538082;start=30#35 date=11/20/02 at 13:43:25]"Has anybody else ever marveled at how Ozzy's voice has changed through the years?  <br>I just listened to Black Sabbath's first album and then to their last Ozzy-album "never say die". <br>I posted this again for not enough of you have replied to this one! >:([/quote]<br><br>The differance is probably the result of 2 things:<br>1 - age<br>2 - damaging himself with Chemical Enhancement<br><br>I love his voice on all the albums. But it did get differant later.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 10:18 am 

Why doesn't everybody love black metal?<br><br><br>E M P E R O R!<br>MAYHEM<br>

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 6:34 am 

I was a metal fan as a child but as time passed my music tastes have become more open. I still love the metal I listened to as a child but hate this whole Nu-metal mtv rubbish. Some of my fav's r - <br>1.Megadeth <br>2.Carcass<br>3.Slayer <br>4.Rage against the machine <br>5.Obituary <br>6.first 2 Machine head albums <br><br>

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 4:08 pm 

My top 3 bands are KISS  ALICE COOPER  and  BLACK SABBATH. They were all great till the mid eighties. I've been listening to them since I was very young (along with tons of other bands). I moved on to PUNK ROCK/HARDCORE when I was 14 but I still love a lot of the old hard rock/metal that I grew up on. My record collection is getting out of control....over 1200 on vinyl, about 700 cds, 3 or 400 cassettes, 20 or 30 8-tracks and countless videos including mant boots. :(

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 4:50 pm 

[quote author=Man from Utopia link=board=general;num=1037538082;start=0#5 date=11/17/02 at 08:22:35]<br><br>Rob Zombie- The Sinister Urge & Hellbilly Deluxe(I cannot decide between the two which is better)<br><br>White Zombie- Astro Creep 2000(Whenever I play this cd, I am always singing at the top of my lungs, dancing around like a complete lunatic. This cd is fantastic!!!)<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>Hellbilly is better (i think) More of a Riggs sound, than on TSU.<br><br>Astro Creep 2000.One of the best metal albums of all time.<br>

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 4:26 am 

[quote author=Suomalainen link=board=general;num=1037538082;start=30#35 date=11/20/02 at 13:43:25]"Has anybody else ever marveled at how Ozzy's voice has changed through the years?  <br>I just listened to Black Sabbath's first album and then to their last Ozzy-album "never say die". Is this the same singer on the two albums On the first Sabbath album Ozzy sounds completely different, more low-voiced and not "singing-voice-like". How can his voice change so much? <br>I actually prefer his "early voice". He just sounds more...more.. something (can't come up with a good word). <br> <br>It's hard for me to see that it's the same Ozzy in the early Black Sabbath records and in the 80's more "hair" period. <br>He even doesn't look the same IMHO.  "<br><br>I posted this again for not enough of you have replied to this one! >:([/quote] I'm sure every singer's voice changes a bit over time. But it could also have something to do with all the shit he was drinking and smoking as well. Plus I'm sure there were electronic alterations added to his voice as they went along and had more money to spend on their records. ;D<br>

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 4:42 am 

[quote author=Suomalainen link=board=general;num=1037538082;start=30#37 date=11/22/02 at 12:18:34]<br>E M P E R O R<br>[/quote]<br>'In the Nightside Eclips' is one of my all time favourites!!!<br><br>Do you actually like Absus latest, or Cradle? Satyricon (nemesis devinina, schadowthrone) ?<br><br>By the way, the album title 'Suomi Finland Perkele' by Impaled Nazarene means something like Finland forever I think I read somewhere. Since you are finnish too, is this first word related to your nickname? what does it mean?<br>

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 9:58 pm 

Sleepytime Gorilla Museum!<br>with a name like that, and songs like "Sleep is wrong" and "Tonight we're gonna party like it's 1997," how could you not like them!?  very heavy stuff, and also some non-heavy really weird abstarct pretty songs like "sunflowers."<br><br>Also TOOL!!!<br>i saw tool in October at UMASS in the Mullins<br>(meshuggah opened up, i wasn't impressed with them and they're coreographed headbanging)<br>and they were fabulous of course!!  i even sported a zappa t-shirt there- GOTTA REPRESENT!<br>ANYWAY, i have an interesting FZ related story-<br>before Meshuggah came on to open up, they were playing some music through the speakers (pretty loudly i might add)- just random songs, mostly heavy stuff, you know... and then guess what i hear!!?!?  I recognized it instantly!!  "What Ever Happened to all the Fun in the World?" off of Sheik Yerbouti!  I was flabergasted!!  could Tool be FZ fans?  i woudln't be surprised.<br><br>i am also into Manson and Nine Inch Nails.<br>one day when i went on a zappa-cd shopping binge, i decided to get one non-zappa item.  I bout Nine Inch Nails' two video set "Closure," and to my disbelief, there's footage of Trent Reznor with NIN  (amd if my memory serves me correct, members of Manson as well), listening to "Broken Hearts are for Assholes" before a show and singing along!  I CAN'T GET AWAY FROM ZAPPA!  NO MATTER WHAT I DO!  HE IS HAUNTING ME!<br><br>seems like these heavy-metal guys are into Sheik Yerbouti--- any body hear any commentary from these guys on FZ?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 7:27 am 

;)OK, neat.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 11:15 am 

Next to Black Sabbath, the greatest heavy metal band ever(although they're actually rock) is none other than...<br><br>Motörhead.<br><br>ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage<br><br><br>They've been at it since the mid-70s and they're still kicking ass today(their newest album, released last year, is absolutely solid). They aren't cock rock, they weren't ever cheesy glam/hair rock, they're fucking HARD ROCK.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 5:35 pm 

What about the old JUDAS PRIEST or IRON MAIDEN ? that was some kicking shit back in the early to mid 80's and then thing's got even harder.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 1:47 am 

Check out [glow=red,2,300]RAMMSTEIN!![/glow]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next