Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: The Heavy Metal thread!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 3:01 am 

>:(This is the official heavy metal thread! >:(<br><br>My favorite HM-albums (I use loosely the "heavy metal" term):<br><br>Deep Purple-Fireball<br>Black Sabbath-Master of Reality<br>Opeth-Blackwater Park<br>Iron Maiden-Piece of mind, Seventh son of a Seventh son<br>Dream Theater:Images and Words<br>Uriah Heep:Very 'eavy very 'umble ::)<br><br>When I feel a bit more morbid than usually. I dig out my Mayhem, Emperor, Burzum and various death metal albums. <br><br>Does anyone else agree with "fireball" being the best Deep Purple album? I think it's definitely their best, it's heavy, funky, progressive, sad, happy, everything..One of my all-time favourite albums, actually!<br>The 25th anniversary edition with bonus tracks like "slow train" is great! 8)<br>

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 5:09 am 

Favorite Heavy metal bands & Albums<br><br>AC/DC - Highway To Hell (Especially Beating Around The Bush)<br>Iron Maiden - Killers<br>Judas Priest - Screaming For Vengeance<br><br>More heavy stuff:<br><br>Slayer - Seasons In The Abyss (I Saw them this summer tour back with Dave Lombardo)<br>Cradle Of Filth - Vempire<br><br>That's it , I never been that much into metal<br><br>IF YOU'RE NOT INTO METAL, YOU ARE NOT MY FRIEND ;)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 5:25 am 

Hello, some of my choices here:<br><br>Slayer:  Reign in blood<br>VoiVod: Killling technology,Dimension Hätross, rrröööaaarrr.<br>Entombed: Wolwerine blues<br>Possessed: Beyond the gates<br>Metallica: Master of puppets<br>Ozzy Osbourne:  Diary of a madman<br>Led Zeppelin: everything up to houses of the holy<br>Black Sabbath: everything up to live evil<br>Deep purple:  machine head, burn, fireball<br><br>Hardcore/metal crossover stuff:<br><br>DRI: Crossover, dealing with it<br>Agnostic Front: Liberty and justice<br>Ludichrist: Immaculate deception, Powertrip<br>Crumbsuckers: B.O.M.B.<br>S.O.D: Speak english or die (hehe)<br>Slayer: Undisputed attitude<br>Spazztic Blurr: Before da avbum....After the album<br><br>Those were the days...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 10:07 am 

What's your favorite Black Sabbath album. As I already mentioned, mine is "master of reality". It's the heaviest and darkest album they've made. On later albums like "sabbath bloody sabbath" they started experimenting a little bit, but I always prefer their earliest stuff. And Sabbath fans, what do you think of "techinal ecstacy"? 8)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 10:31 am 

[quote author=MrBickford link=board=general;num=1037538082;start=0#7 date=11/17/02 at 12:29:03]IMO, real metal is a way of life and not just a musical style. <br>[/quote]<br><br>How can you tell fake metal from real metal?<br>A stupid question, but so what?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 10:50 am 

[quote author=MrBickford link=board=general;num=1037538082;start=0#9 date=11/17/02 at 12:47:58]<br><br>Louis Armstrong said once, "If you have to ask you'll never know!" <br><br>Later.<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>Was Louis Amstrong asked a question about heavy metal?<br>(I wasn't too serious about my prevoius question<br> ;))

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 12:25 am 

josh, i disagree with you categorically!<br><br>[quote author=josh link=board=general;num=1037538082;start=0#12 date=11/18/02 at 02:02:17]Their legacy, influence, talent and inspiration as the most successful MH/HR group in history cannot be denied.[/quote]<br>bollocks, i deny it!<br>also, what the !@&% is "MH/HR"?  explain!  please be creative, irrational and verbose.<br><br>[quote author=josh link=board=general;num=1037538082;start=0#12 date=11/18/02 at 02:02:17]With over 200 million albums sold worldwide,[/quote]<br>ha!  prove it!  i want STATISTICS damn it!<br><br>[quote author=josh link=board=general;num=1037538082;start=0#12 date=11/18/02 at 02:02:17]4, also known as  Zoso, The Runes Album and Untitled (1971)[/quote]<br>don't forget Old Man With Sticks In a Sack on His Back, Big Seller, That Stairway To Heaven Record, Lantern Guy, Josh Sux<br><br>BTW, uh, josh...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 1:18 am 

The ones i can think of right now are:<br><br>Deep Purple - all the Ian Gillan 70's stuff<br>Rush - All the worlds a stage<br>AC/DC - Let there be rock / If You Want Blood<br>Iron Maiden - Powerslave and Piece of mind<br>Black Sabbath - The First 5 albums<br>Metallica - Puppets and Justice<br>Led Zeppelin - the first 6 albums

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 3:03 am 

I think Led Zeppelin and Hendrix aren't Heavy Metal. The first Heavy Metal band was Black Sabbath.  I consider Deep Purple hard rock compared to stuff like Iron Maiden and Ozzy. Rush is more like progressive hard rock.<br>But all of there artists are good. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 3:25 am 

[quote author=ZF link=board=general;num=1037538082;start=15#18 date=11/18/02 at 05:18:44]<br><br>It's ridiciulous, just as ridiculous to try to qualify FZ music, that is a one and only style: Zappa music :P[/quote]<br><br><br>You're right. But sometimes it's helpful to know what kind of music some artist plays. What I think anyway is that Black Sabbath is the first real Heavy Metal band.<br>The genre-thing is really just ridiculos in heavy metal; there's death,black,grind,symphonic black,doom,hair,progressive,speed.thrash,punk,sludge,goth<br>whatever....

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 4:54 am 

I would say if your into Zappa and metal you need to check some of the newer bands like MESHUGGA or DILLINGER ESCAPE PLAN or even TOOL. All these bands play a more progressive form of metal (the guitarist in meshugga sounds like Alan Holdsworth playing death metal) and the drummers in all these bands are incredible. I would venture to guess that the players in these bands have more than a passing familiarity with Franks work. Check em out.<br><br>Saraband

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 11:22 am 

Has anybody else ever marveled at how Ozzy's voice has changed through the years? <br>I just listened to Black Sabbath's first album and then to their last Ozzy-album "never say die". Is this the same singer on the two albums??? On the first Sabbath album Ozzy sounds completely different, more low-voiced and not "singing-voice-like". How can his voice change so much?<br>I actually prefer his "early voice". He just sounds more...more.. something (can't come up with a good word).<br><br>It's hard for me to see that it's the same Ozzy in the early Black Sabbath records and in the 80's more "hair" period.<br>He even doesn't look the same IMHO. :o

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 11:31 am 

I did never listened to heavy metal, I missed my chance to know some groups.  By a friend I walked into the world of Primus, then I met the world of NIN, a little later Sonic Youth, JSBX, The Red Car, Zappa, jazz-stuff Tom Waits, Beefheart, Residents and so one... (in no particular order)  <br>When i was young my parents let me know the music of the Beatles & the Stones a bit (and of course like every Dutch/Belgian mother -> Rob de Nijs)<br>Too bad, can't answer...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 8:33 pm 

[quote author=saraband link=board=general;num=1037538082;start=15#20 date=11/18/02 at 06:54:41]I would say if your into Zappa and metal you need to check some of the newer bands like MESHUGGA or DILLINGER ESCAPE PLAN or even TOOL. <br>Saraband[/quote]<br><br>Meshuggah is excellent (I have only their 2nd CD, forgot its title - but I'll definitely get some more)! Also among heavy progressives(really VERY heavy) - Death (later era stuff - really complex music played impeccably), Atheist (jazzy metal), Goreguts (Beefheart metal), Cynic (also jazzy metal), Fear Factory (industrial metal), Ministry. Not-so-progressive, but still excellent - Pantera ('Vulgar Display of Power'), Suicidal Tendencies ('Lights Camera Revolution'), Sepultura ('Chaos A.D.'). <br>

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 2:24 am 

[quote author=djmdavid link=board=general;num=1037538082;start=15#24 date=11/18/02 at 22:33:42]<br><br>Meshuggah is excellent (I have only their 2nd CD, forgot its title - but I'll definitely get some more)! Also among heavy progressives(really VERY heavy) - Death (later era stuff - really complex music played impeccably), Atheist (jazzy metal), Goreguts (Beefheart metal), Cynic (also jazzy metal), Fear Factory (industrial metal), Ministry. Not-so-progressive, but still excellent - Pantera ('Vulgar Display of Power'), Suicidal Tendencies ('Lights Camera Revolution'), Sepultura ('Chaos A.D.'). <br>[/quote]<br><br>Anybody remember Mekong Delta? There was a band ahead of it´s time.<br>