Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 6:16 pm 

First off, I like RHCP quite a bit.  One of the better bands that has come out over the last 20 years.  And the band got better with John Frusciante's arrival.   They've made quite a transition from punkadelic to more varied & cerebral music over the course of their last several albums.    Although their real break through was "Blood Sugar Sex Magik", I still prefer  "Mother's Milk" (Frusciante's first effort with the band after Hillel Slovak's OD) which is I should add is worth getting again with its 2003 re-release for the bonus tracks (including some additional Hendrix tunes & a nice instrumental workout in "Song That Made Us What We Are Today").<br><br>Of course there is a Zappa connection in that Frusciante cites FZ as THE major musical inspiration for him as a guitar player.  I've read that in RHCP concerts after he first joined the band they would cover "Inca Roads".   In interviews he said that he grew up "masturbating and playing guitar" to FZ & Hendrix 15 hours a day & according to Guitar Player he'd study FZ's work "for hours learning solos and syncopations in detail" (VERY Steve Vai-ish sounding).   And there is the story of how he waited in line at a FZ audition "for hours".  The account gets a bit conflicted in that he was quoted as having "chickened out" and  ""Nah. I realized that I wanted to be a rock star, do drugs and get girls, and that I wouldn't be able to do that if I was in Zappa's band."   <br><br>I have to comment on the last quote, in that he WAS right about having no chance in hell with the drug use (he almost died in the mid-90s with his heroin addiction).  But the part about not being able to get girls is bogus (pomp).   I mean if that was true then what was the inspiration of a number of groupie related songs in the Flo & Eddie era (e.g. "Road Ladies", "What Kind of Girl") as well as '80s compositions like "Pick Me I'm Clean", "Jazz Discharge Party Hats", etc. ?   <br><br>My questions are: <br><br>(1) Drug use factored out, would he have qualified as a guitarist in FZ's '88 band (over Mike Keneally)? <br><br>My answer:  I don't claim to be a guitar expert but I think thats debatable, since although the Peppers evolved/improved with him as guitarist (much like Duran Duran with Warren Cucurrolo), they were/are still a bass (Flea) driven band on their harder compositions.   He's a very competent guitarist but certainly not a stand-out.  And despite his Vai-like transcriptions (according to him) I don't think he remotely approaches Steve's skills on guitar.  <br><br>(2)  Has he had any affiliations with the Zappas (e.g. Dweezil) since his aborted audition?   If this was mutually desired than it would be logistically easy since the Peppars are a Los Angeles based band.<br>

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 11:31 pm 

I think FZ would have found John much too young to join his group...<br><br>Steve Vai was also just out of his teenage years when he first showed up on FZ's doorstep so to speak, and only after he showed he could REALLY play guitar and was a master in transcribing FZ's solo's, he got the job.<br><br>Therefore i, for one, find it highley unlikely that John would have passed the audition...<br><br>And even if he did, i wonder if he made it trough the tour, because he bailed out during the Pepper's world tour for after their BloodSugarSexMagik album...<br><br>

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 3:49 am 

Well, I like Frusciante's original/minimal style; I like his funky and his sense of syncopate but technically he's not like Vai, absolutely not! I can believe that he studied Zappa's stuffs but I can't believe that he is really able to play those things (one thing is studying, another thing is being able to play what I'm studying)... I'd like to listen Inca Roads by Frusciante because I'm pretty sure that he's not able to play it like the original version. Of course he could have done an Inca Roads' review, a new version, not the original...<br><br>Am I wrong?

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 1:04 am 

While downloading stuff from Winmx ages ago I came across the smallest of mpegs, which had John on his own at a RHCP gig playing Inca roads and singing the lyrics. The clip was only about 5 seconds long so I was unable to really get an idea of how good it was.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 1:00 pm 

[quote author=Mr. Complainian link=board=general;num=1053317797;start=0#3 date=05/19/03 at 08:01:36]Could Ike Willis, Ray White, Jeff Simmons, Belew or any other rhythm player rip through Moggio, RDZNL or Inca Roads like "stunt" guitarists Vai or Keneally, personally i doubt it. [/quote]<br><br>No, well Belew absolutely yes, others no but... to play with Zappa, guitar-players need a rythmical idea that is un-conventional... don't know if Frusciante got this idea, in my opinion no. I repeat, I like is style but he is so far  from Zappa's guitar-players. If you speak with people who saw RHCP live they can tell you how awful they are, making mistakes all over the concert... of course on studio stuffs they are great but I can't imagine a guitar-player making mistakes on Zappastage, and you know better than me the great difference between Zappa and RHCP difficult-stuffs... don't you?<br><br>Ciao. <br>

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 2:45 pm 

I saw the RHCP on the Mother's Milk tour in Austin, TX. The guy I went to the concert with had never heard them, but after their set he said that they sounded like a cross between Hendrix and James Brown.  Then, they came out and played Hendrix's "Crosstown Traffic" as an encore and it blew us away.  I'd have loved to hear them play Inca Roads too . . . <br><br>VCF

Revel in your otherness. MK

STILL pissed at Tipper. VCF

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:27 am 

Guitarist John Frusciante Returning to The Red Hot Chili Peppers After 10 Years

The gang is getting back together again.

Famed guitarist John Frusciante has rejoined the Red Hot Chili Peppers, the band announced via Instagram on Sunday. He will replace Josh Klinghoffer, who took over Frusciante’s role as the band’s lead guitarist 10 years ago.

“Josh is a beautiful musician who we respect and love,” the Red Hot Chili Peppers wrote on Instagram. “We are deeply grateful for our time with him, and the countless gifts he shared with us.”

Along with Klinghoffer’s departure, the account announced, “with great excitement and full hearts, that John Frusciante is rejoining our group.”

hmmm...
*hoping they return to form as a listenable ensemble*

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:04 am 

Sounds like breaking news to me. :roll:

Oh, wait, no!. That was wo days ago. 8)

http://forum.zappa.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9955&start=19750#p864542

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:19 am 

DAMN it! you win.
but i'm no sore loser, i will go ahead and admit it right here and now...

i only read about 3% of your posts.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:41 am 

lapsed maps wrote:
DAMN it! you win.
but i'm no sore loser, i will go ahead and admit it right here and now...

i only read about 3% of your posts.
I employ lots of images for the benefit of the reading-impaired. So, you're welcome. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:35 am 

if you're really so concerned with the benefit of others,
why not just stop posting the dopey cartoons and share some actual thoughts of your own?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:10 am 

lapsed maps wrote:
. . . share some actual thoughts of your own?
Okay - I think you're pretending not to recognize sarcasm. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:31 am 

I like dopey cartoons. That’s how I learned about life. :idea: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:37 am 

Mad Magazine educated... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:46 am 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:51 am 

Mr. Nice Guy wrote:
I think you're pretending not to recognize sarcasm.

nope.
i understand sarcasm good and fine.
some may go as far as to say that i dabble in it my own self from time to time.
i honestly thought you were being arrogant and one-upperish.
i apologize for the mistake.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:55 am 

At least Flee is an Aussie :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:05 am 

ok, mr "nice" guy, time's up.

i believe i have given you ample time to accept my apology.
perhaps you have accepted it in silence and/our within the contents of your mind.
if this is the case, shame on you. your method of unspoken acceptance is anything but helpful.

however, as far as where i stand on this particular incident... the conclusion has been drawn.
at this time, you have 3 choices. please select wisely.

1. please ignore me from this point on.
(as you may have noticed, i said please)

2. think about what you have done.
this exact option may indeed help you to accomplish #3!

3. do not repeat this type of behavior upon future cyber/face to face transactions.
please believe me when i say that what you have done here exhibits a major flaw in your personality design.

you are welcome,
mngmnt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:21 am 

^^ I get sarcasm sometimes.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:14 am 

. . . or else! :twisted: