Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:16 pm 

KUIII wrote:
I got pretty good news today from my oncologist regarding last week’s cat scan following the first round of chemo. The mass on my pancreas is about the same size as when first diagnosed (so in other words it hasn’t become worse). Also the cancer in my liver is not detectable from the cat scan though intellectually it is still there microscopically. The cancer has also not spread elsewhere and my internal plumbing is working pretty much as it should. I was very happy to hear this today now knowing that I should be sticking around for a while longer to enjoy the things I enjoy. I hadn’t been feeling very well the past several days due to the side effects of chemo combined with trying to get over a long running cold and sinus infection. When you don’t feel well when you have cancer sometimes you think the worst. But today I feel fucking great. It’s FUCKING GREAT to be alive!

Chemo resumes next week after a week off and enjoying a few days at the coast.

congrats on the keepin' on keepin' on, ku!

#baldbeast

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:05 am 

KUIII wrote:
I got pretty good news today from my oncologist regarding last week’s cat scan following the first round of chemo. The mass on my pancreas is about the same size as when first diagnosed (so in other words it hasn’t become worse). Also the cancer in my liver is not detectable from the cat scan though intellectually it is still there microscopically. The cancer has also not spread elsewhere and my internal plumbing is working pretty much as it should. I was very happy to hear this today now knowing that I should be sticking around for a while longer to enjoy the things I enjoy. I hadn’t been feeling very well the past several days due to the side effects of chemo combined with trying to get over a long running cold and sinus infection. When you don’t feel well when you have cancer sometimes you think the worst. But today I feel fucking great. It’s FUCKING GREAT to be alive!

Chemo resumes next week after a week off and enjoying a few days at the coast.

This is Great News! I am so happy to hear, now you can do the double and come to Monterey with us... :idea:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:02 am 

^^^Doing the double would be pushing it a bit. I think I better just stick to Napa.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:41 pm 

KU was celebrating his successful treatment in Fort Bragg and found this joint... 8)

He asked about the name inside, they said no relation, a family member named it and they don't even know why...but they get asked about it all the time... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:27 pm 

Looking good KU, are you eating right?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:55 am 

^^^I’m eating right AND left. I’m bipartisan when it comes to food.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:34 pm 

Got good news today on my latest cat scan from last week. The tumor has shrunk “significantly” (my Doctor’s word). It’s about a quarter of the size it was when first diagnosed last April and from my last cat scan two months ago. Full straight ahead with more chemo for the next two months until my next cat scan. Looking ahead to my last day at work December 7th and my thirteenth (I think) Dweezil show December 9th. I’m taking that week off from chemo to make sure I’m feeling my best. Life is good! :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:02 pm 

Alright Kill!
Glad you are doing well.
Eat lots of spinich. I've been eating it over lettuce for years now.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:35 pm 

Thanks, Dave! Yeah, I do the spinach thing too. You, me, and Popeye!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:48 pm 

I am cheering for you, amigo. Great news!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:51 pm 

+1 that's excellent news KU, the miracles of modern medicine.....

Recently one of the lads vision began to slowly deteriorate in one eye and eventually faded to black, after a bunch of tests including a couple of mri's they pumped him full of a little something special and bingo he's back to 20/20 in both eyes, good as new, top of the world.
Then he was summoned by his Doctor and advised that during the seemingly random battery of tests they'd discovered he has a particularly nasty strain of multiple sclerosis, the proposed treatment regime looks brutal.....

He's a positive kinda guy, but after a touch of blindness and now ms.....
I'm thinkin' we's gonna have to be keepin' a close eye on dis here boy.....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:02 am 

Great news KU, keep up the good fight...you are more then welcome to join us on the 8th... :idea:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:37 am 

Really happy to hear the news, keep on truckin' dude :) :) :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:22 pm 

Sending tropical vibes to the Ghost Clan as well...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:54 pm 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:

+1 Grey, I don't know what to say (probaly wouldn't spell it correctly anyways) except you and yours are in my thoughts and prayers... :(

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:36 am 

Plook wrote:
Mr_Green_Genes wrote:

+1 Grey, I don't know what to say (probaly wouldn't spell it correctly anyways) except you and yours are in my thoughts and prayers... :(

Cheers lads!

Having attained the ripe old age of sixty I thought I'd better book myself in for my regular seven year checkup.....Rang for an appointment, thinking it would be in a week or two, giving me time to get mentally prepared, "we can fit you in today" @#%# so in I went, Doctor D did his weights and measures thing removed some blood poked the prostate and noticed the stiff and lumpy pinky finger on my left hand, (which has been messing with my guitar playing for a couple of years now) I had thought it was just good old age related tendinitis or arthritis but no no no, apparently it's Dupuytren's Contracture and for a mere $3,000.00 + tax worth of risky surgery I just might get the full use of my pinky back. If I don't opt for surgery or it proves to be inoperable it will eventually curl up like a claw and I'll be destined to play slide guitar forever.....decisions decisions.

Now the nervous wait for the results of the blood tests.

Bowel cancer's a biggie in NZ, so I'm now on the list for an organ scan and colonoscopy ($4,000.00 + tax)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:14 am 

You should get that surgery - slide tuning can be such a pain sometimes. :)

I think our prices for those services are about the same, but I get a colonoscopy free every 10 years.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:35 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:
You should get that surgery - slide tuning can be such a pain sometimes. :)

I think our prices for those services are about the same, but I get a colonoscopy free every 10 years.

Get the surgery. For the price of one trip to the hell hole that is Auckland and a VIP ticket to Roger Waters you’re nearly there and you will be good as new.

I complain about my my out-of-pocket costs (especially now with my cancer) but my insurance picks up most of it. I had my first colonoscopy at 50 and they removed a polyp at that time. Definitely worth it to get your checkups as we get older.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:32 pm 

Here's some info from Michael Greger MD's book "How Not to Die," in the chapter on medicine, statistically the third leading cause of death.

...BELOW...just to finish the shaded area, the text continues on about else...

Edited later...SORRY, I had missed Page 2 in the 4 photos above...

It was news to me that most US doctors don't tell the three U. S. Preventative Services Task Force recommended methods, my doctor knew them.

Here is an example of the test the rest of the world is doing, it's cheap, takes 5 minutes and you have your results. A positive here means you need a colonoscopy (though a positive here means you chance of cancer is still only 13%).

You can also do this test if you've been avoiding the whole scene, a negative here and you're done, a positive and avoid no longer.

It's called a Second Generation F. I. T., costs about 25 - 30 bucks at amazon, this one is by Pinnacle...

The above test is better than the advertised "Cologuard DNA test, Cologard produces slightly more false positives.

Talkin' 'bout your hemorrhoids, baby." - Don't use a FIT test if you have hemorrhoids, obviously, (it tells that too in the instructions).

BTW, Risk factors, in order:
1. Diet, (meat and dairy, "Isn't that interesting, I can turn cancer on and off. There's something in meat and dairy that's very good at turning cancer on." -Esselstyn, Forks over Knives where he also shows data turning current cancers OFF by switching to plant protein).
2. Smoking
3. Stress

Hope this helps :)

Edited later: I think I screwed up a ratio I referred to, but didn't have time to fix it so I deleted it till later. Esselstyn had found in Japan in one year in the early 50's when their population was roughly half the US population, Japan was still plant based and the US was on the Western Diet, Japan had something like 18 cases of colon cancer, and the US had 14, 000. Campbell found roughly the same thing in the Philippines, I think he was looking at early childhood liver cancer, not colon cancer.

BTW's:
Here's a quick graph on Esselstyn's experiments turning early cancers on and off...chart needs a little explanation: He gave lab rats cancer with 20% dairy, then switched these SAME rats cancer off again by dropping them to 5%, their cancers turned off and reduced.

At week 9 he gave them cancer again and they seemed more susceptible to increased cancer from dairy, then he switched them to 5% and turned off the cancers at 12 weeks that he had just given them at 9 weeks

Processed meats are listed by the World Health Organization as Class 1 Carcinogen, right next to cigarettes, they would be things like hot dogs, sausage, all cold cuts, sliced turkey, etc. Regular meats and fish and dairy are still Class 2 Carcinogens, some are trying to get them changed to Class 1, but there is heavy industry pressure resisting.

Last edited by baddy on Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:01 pm 

^^^^^ Cheers baddy ^^^^^

Research in progress, this definitely helps..... 8)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:30 pm 

A guy on my block - an Iraq War vet - just found out he has prostate cancer.

And to make it worse: a blood test he took a year and a half ago indicated a red flag for prostate cancer, and his doctor failed to note it for follow-up. Fortunately another doctor noticed it months later, while going over his medical history for another case.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:40 pm 

baddy, recently I've been digging into the fish and cancer relation literature and, superficially, I thought they were not correlated with cancer (digestive tract, badder, lungs and brain), and even negatively related sometimes...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:57 pm 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
baddy, recently I've been digging into the fish and cancer relation literature and, superficially, I thought they were not correlated with cancer (digestive tract, badder, lungs and brain), and even negatively related sometimes...

Thanks for posting Mr_Green_Genes, (is that like a pun on genetics? green-GENES and I just realized it after all these years :shock: ) .

I'll put together a reply, but it's gonna take a few days to get it together cuz I want to dig some info up to make it interesting...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:55 am 

Keep in mind my primary field is conservation (green) genetics (genes) :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5