Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:39 am 

Could someone please explain the US pressings of Freak Out! on Verve.

What is the most desirable to a collector of US pressings.

Is there only one edition of the Mono double album, and also the Stereo LP on Blue labels.

What are the values to a collector of coveted vinyl?

I say this as I bought 2 copies, one Mono and Stereo, and in beautiful condition. I only paid $43 for both. The seller now claims the items are lost in the post, but unexplicably cannot supply me with a proof of posting, despite the hefty sum I have paid vendor for a superior USPS International service. As soon as I gently queried that 'I hav'nt received the package yet' 24 days after I was informed it was despatched, I was sent a refund without any questions. My alarm bell is ringing like the Occasion Homer Simpson tried to buy a Winnebago on credit. Have I been ripped off?

He's a CEO for Chrissakes!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:34 pm 

Hum, I am not accusing or taking a firm conclusion, but sounds like a scam, as in the guy realized it was worth much more and stepped back...

I am listening/savouring/enjoying/coming to my just arrived OLD MASTERS BOX VOL.1 Freak Out! LP, which is completely different from those versions, and is the same version as the Ryko CD*. I've been digging deep into this whole site lately:

http://lukpac.org/~handmade/patio/vinylvscds/freakout.html

*Not exactly:

Original Vinyl

The original 1966 stereo mix has recently made a re-appearance on MoFMOFOo.

From Biffy the Elephant Shrew:

If your copy is a first pressing, it will have a box above the triangle-shaped photo in the lower right corner of the inside spread with an advertisement for the "Freak Map." Later copies have a blank, empty space where the "Freak Map" ad was.

From Greg Russo (author of Cosmik Debris):

I have a few US copies of Freak Out! - a mono (V-5005), and two stereos - one shown as V6-5005-2 and the other as V6-5005-2X (note the additional "X"). The "X" is shown only on the cover, as the records just say V6-5005-2. At this point, I cannot tell a difference between the two covers other than the number on the front - otherwise, they appear to be the same inside and out.

Canadian Version

From Steve "Cindy" Jones:

I have a pressing from Canada. The bottom right of the cover has "printed litho in Canada". Inside the gatefold on the right side it has the ad for the freak-out hot spots and below that in the corner it has "buy canadian" in a circle. At the bottom it has "manufactured and distributed in Canada by Quality Records Limited 380 Birchmount Road, Toronto, Ontario."

Now for the records and label. The records are like this: side 1 is backed with side 4 and side 2 is with side 3. The label is different, it has "stereophonic" and "living sound fidelity" under the Verve label.

Mono Vinyl

This album is so old it was issued both in mono and stereo. Of course, the mono version is a bit different: it's clearly a different mix and a couple of songs are longer. The British single vinyl was also issued in both stereo and mono versions. Some or all mono versions had sides 1 and 4 on one record, and 2 and 3 on the other. While the mono version is presumably a different and distinct mix, few major variations have been reported.

From Splat:

"You Didn't Try to Call Me" has a longer fade-out, revealing Ray Collins plaintively exclaiming "Girl!" Also, "Trouble Every Day" is longer by exactly one snare hit at the beginning of the song. [Ed: The stereo vinyl version of "You Didn't Cry to Call Me" ends cold as well]

Unknown Version

From Chris Maxfield:

My copy does not have the Freak Map ad inside. It does have Verve Records on the LP labels, but the label is black with silver writing on "record one" and white with silver writing on "record two." There does not seem to be any writing on the inner "blank groove space" on either of the LPs. The labels say V6-5005-2 on them. There's a big Verve Logo and the spiky "T" thingy. The bottom part of the LP labels say: "MGM RECORDS - A DIVISION OF METRO-GOLDWYN-MAYER INC. - Made In U.S.A." but there's no address. Seems like a strange hybrid.

From Jawmo:

My copy, pu***ased in the mid-70s, has blue Verve labels (both discs), silver print and reads "Manufactured by MGM Records, Inc. 7165 Sunset Boulevard, Hollywood, Calif. 90046." Same V6/5005-2, also appears on the "groove space." I don't know what the "Freak Map ad" is, so obviously it's not there. I have seen other versions of Freak Out!, but not the specific one you describe. Hope this helps!

The Old Masters Vinyl

Freak Out! was one of the albums re-issued in the Old Masters box 1. "Help, I'm a Rock", which was "a suite in three movements" on the original LP, appears as two tracks: "Help, I'm a Rock" and "It Can't Happen Here". On the original CD, it was one track; on the 1995 CD it was once again two. In the Old Masters booklet, just as on the ZAPPA 1 vinyl re-issue label from 1985, "Return of the Son of Monster Magnet" is listed as "Cream Cheese".

Has a (printed) handwritten text over the Freak Map ad (which is greyed but still there, including the address) saying: "Do Not hurry! Do NOT send money to MGM! The map & the L.A. you want to visit does not exist!"

On the Old Masters I Sampler, the tracks from Freak Out! appear to be the original vinyl mixes. Question: Does the Old Masters version of Freak Out! use the CD remix or the original vinyl mix (or a "tweezed" version thereof)? Help out us!

Answer: Joe Travers confirms that the Old Masters LP used the original mixes.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:52 pm 

Too words.
Mono gono

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:09 pm 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
I am listening/savouring/enjoying/coming to my just arrived OLD MASTERS BOX VOL.1 Freak Out! LP, which is completely different from those versions, and is the same version as the Ryko CD*.

I think Freak Out might be the only case where I actually prefer the CD remix over the original vinyl.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:12 pm 

It is i have a cd from 23 years ago never i sleeve work ilke a gem 8)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:11 pm 

diplomaticpermissiondeepi wrote:
I bought 2 copies, one Mono and Stereo, and in beautiful condition. I only paid $43 for both. The seller now claims the items are lost in the post, but unexplicably cannot supply me with a proof of posting, despite the hefty sum I have paid vendor for a superior USPS International service. As soon as I gently queried that 'I hav'nt received the package yet' 24 days after I was informed it was despatched, I was sent a refund without any questions.

Well, this is a quite sad experience, but at least you got your money back, which is good news in a way.
A few years ago, I paid a little bit more via Western Union for the Apostrophe Au20 edition I won on eBay.
The CD never arrived so I contacted the seller who could not justify anything, just like in your case.
However I have never been reimbursed :|
Lessons learned: I only use PayPal on eBay, I don't buy to newbies and I avoid sellers below 99% (unless the comments left actually show that the buyers are dishonest).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:29 pm 

i wish there was a Mono version available on cd.

A '55 Chevy that his brother just stoled

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:49 pm 

I bought the first press mono version a year ago on Ebay i got it for around 52$ i got it cheap becasuse it was litle thorn on the front side (but i just painted it black with a marker hard to see a difference) great uses condition on the vinyl arrived after 2 weeks from the states to sweden. As stated the original has the little advert for freak hot spots wich the later pressing did not have.

I think you can maybe find a copy for a reasonable price but dont be too picky about the condition. just as long asthe vinyl doest have any scratches its ok by me. It also has historical significance as well...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:20 pm 

jimmy the hindu wrote:
I bought the first press mono version a year ago on Ebay i got it for around 52$ i got it cheap becasuse it was litle thorn on the front side (but i just painted it black with a marker hard to see a difference) great uses condition on the vinyl arrived after 2 weeks from the states to sweden. As stated the original has the little advert for freak hot spots wich the later pressing did not have.

I think you can maybe find a copy for a reasonable price but dont be too picky about the condition. just as long asthe vinyl doest have any scratches its ok by me. It also has historical significance as well...

The tragedy which has befallen is that both copies were in beautiful condition. I did pay using Paypal, but the vendor is blaming the USPS, and a system of buying postage through eBay and Paypal in which she prints off postage paid labels, then her mail gets picked up. She claims that she has lost the money I paid and reimbursed me. If she is telling the truth then there should be a Paypal transaction for purchase of $34 postage, with a tag to the ebay ID number. In which case then she has a start to get the money back. She will not be drawn on giving me this information, despite me informing her that I will make my own inquiries with USPS. She earlier seems to have tried to muddy the waters by saying that she neither has the time or patience to deal with it, and so what, I have been refunded. I have pointed out to her that I am the customer, we have a contract, and she should afford me every assistance. My fear is that she is silent because there is no evidence she has purchased USPS postage because she has not posted what is my property, because she has decided to keep the 2xFreak Out! for her own private reasons. I cannot see how she can cover up whether she bought postage or not. There has to be an audit trail. If anyone has any insight into how this method of eBay/Paypal/USPS works in sending ebay purchases works, as well as this vexed point of 'surely she must have a proof of buying postage as the transaction exists in her paypal account' I would be most grateful. I think she has blundered by trying to put the blame onto USPS and this method of purchasing postage, which if she cannot wriggle out of it then its fraudulent, and not merely a breach of contract. If anyone wishes to see the listing then please PM me. What is ironic is that FZ seemed to have a similar problem with MGM in getting his due royalties for these very albums!

He's a CEO for Chrissakes!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:55 am 

file a non-performing seller complaint immediately; not a fuck of a lot else you can do, no way to force the seller to complete the transaction

check her items over the next 60 days, if the same lp's come up, leave her a Image

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:12 am 

After reading this I thought I'd go and check my copy of Freak Out I brought in the early 1980's and low and behold it ain't got a matrix No on the Vinyl - Its blue label and silver lettering - so I guess I've got a counterfeit.
It shows as V6-5005-2 on the fairly thick cardboard sleeves - Oh well I still like it and it plays very well :smoke: