This time it's not a rumour.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:08 am 

Oh man, this made my heart so sad right now... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Shine on Syd Barret

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:10 am 

Pink Floyd's Barrett dies aged 60

Syd Barrett, one of the original members of legendary rock group Pink Floyd, has died at the age of 60 from complications arising from diabetes.

The guitarist was the band's first creative force and an influential songwriter, penning their early hits.

He joined Pink Floyd in 1965 but left three years later after one album. He went on to live as a recluse, with his mental deterioration blamed on drugs.

"He died very peacefully a couple of days ago," the band's spokeswoman said.

"There will be a private family funeral."

A statement from Pink Floyd said: "The band are naturally very upset and sad to learn of Syd Barrett's death.

"Syd was the guiding light of the early band line-up and leaves a legacy which continues to inspire."

David Bowie described Barrett as a "major inspiration", saying: "I can't tell you how sad I feel.

"The few times I saw him perform in London at UFO and the Marquee clubs during the '60s will forever be etched in my mind.

"He was so charismatic and such a startlingly original songwriter. Also, along with Anthony Newley, he was the first guy I'd heard to sing pop or rock with a British accent.

"His impact on my thinking was enormous. A major regret is that I never got to know him. A diamond indeed."

Born Roger Barrett in Cambridge, he composed songs including See Emily Play and Arnold Layne, both from 1967.

He also wrote most of their album The Piper at the Gates of Dawn. But he struggled to cope with fame and drugs.

Dave Gilmour was brought in to the band in February 1968 and Barrett left that April, releasing two solo albums soon after.

The band's biggest-selling releases, Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall, emerged in the post-Barrett era, with the band selling an estimated 200 million albums worldwide.

Just as Pink Floyd were about to achieve global success, Barrett retreated from public life and returned to Cambridge.

Little was known about his whereabouts for 20 years until he was tracked down living with his mother.

But his influence remained, with younger fans and artists discovering his music.

Former Blur guitarist Graham Coxon released a statement saying: "Lost him again... for bang on 20 years Syd led me to better places."

"From my agape 17-year-old first listen to Bike to, just the other day, Jugband Blues.

"Languished in his noise... dreamt in his night... stared at his eyes for answers..."

Barrett's biographer Tim Willis said the guitarist's music left a lasting legacy.

"I don't think we would have the David Bowie we have today if it wasn't for Syd," he told BBC Radio Five Live.

"Bowie was very much a kind of clone of Syd in the early years. His influence is still going.

"New bands discover him all the time. There's always a Syd revival going on - if it wasn't the punks, it was REM, and I'm sure that Arnold Layne and Emily Play as pop songs will live forever."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/5169344.stm

Last edited by Mr_Green_Genes on Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:15 am 

I feel sad as well, I've always liked the early Floyd sound and some of Syd's solo stuff too, as disjointed as it may have been at times.

It is sad... in a way many Floyd fans were hoping for Syd to return to the limelight with just one more song or even just a public appearance, even though we all knew that probably would never happen. And now we know for sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:15 am 

ROGER KEITH BARRETT: 1946 - 2006

It is with much sadness that we bring you the news that Roger Keith "Syd" Barrett has passed away, leaving us on Friday, July 7th.

An official statement confirmed the news, stating that "he died very peacefully", and that there will be a private, family funeral. He had been suffering from diabetes for a number of years, and been living his life quietly in Cambridge. His family confirmed that his passing was due to complications relating to the diabetes.

Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends. He will be remembered with much love and affection.

Roger Keith Barrett was born in Glisson Road, Cambridge, to Winifred and Arthur Barrett, on January 6th, 1946. From an early age, he displayed a musical and artistic nature, and played the ukelele, banjo and piano - indeed, he won a prize for a piano duet at the tender age of seven. He then took up the guitar.

As he built on his guitar skills, his exploration of music in all its forms took him to the Riverside Jazz Club, where the drummer - one Sid Barrett - nicknamed the young Roger "Syd", a name which stuck.

With his growing prowess, he played in various bands in Cambridge and London - bands such as Geoff Mott and The Mottoes, Those Without, The Hollerin' Blues, The Spectrum Five, Leonard's Lodgers, and then, in 1965, The Pink Floyd were formed.

The Floyd toured extensively between 1965 - 1967, in a punishing schedule which saw them even play more than one country some evenings! The band's first album, Piper At The Gates Of Dawn, was also recorded during this period, as were Syd's contributions to the second album, A Saucerful Of Secrets.

He left the band at the start of 1968, and pursued a solo career. Two main albums came out of this very fragile period - The Madcap Laughs, and Barrett (both 1970). Other solo albums were to follow, taken from various sessions recorded between 1969 - 1971.

Roger Barrett retired from the public eye, choosing to live out the remainder of his life in his mother's house, even after her death in 1991. He contented himself with painting, and reportedly wrote a book about the history of art, for his own amusement (with no intention of publishing).

He will live on in the hearts of his friends, family, and his many fans across the world.

http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/news/0607113.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:23 am 

yeah it's really sad, not just the fact he died but the fact so much of his talent was wasted as well. I always preferred the post barrett floyd but you can't deny him his rightful place in history.

Solipsism Facebook
Solipsism Spotify

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:38 am 

Definately the worst thing I've heard all day.
May he rest in peace.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:00 am 

Shine on you crazy diamond

:cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:31 am 

TheCentralScrutinizer wrote:
yeah it's really sad, not just the fact he died but the fact so much of his talent was wasted as well. I always preferred the post barrett floyd but you can't deny him his rightful place in history.

I agree scrute, I never have been his biggest fan as regards his input with early Floyd or his solo stuff, but he was such an integral part of that band in the beginning, he could never be denied that place. He also inspired Waters writing ater his departure from the band, I'm grateful to him for that as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:58 am 

aspy_2nd_bunch wrote:
TheCentralScrutinizer wrote:

I agree scrute, I never have been his biggest fan as regards his input with early Floyd or his solo stuff, but he was such an integral part of that band in the beginning, he could never be denied that place. He also inspired Waters writing ater his departure from the band, I'm grateful to him for that as well.

aye big horsey gums has a lot to thank him for :mrgreen:

Solipsism Facebook
Solipsism Spotify

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:03 pm 

Sad indeed, but then again, his whole existence after he went crazy was really tragic. Suffering from mental illness isn't pretty. Now it's all over.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:40 pm 

Actually it is said that, despite mental illness and diabetes, he lead a happy live and even wrote a book on history of art and that he used to paint. I think it will be worthed millions in the future...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:12 pm 

Yes, that is sad. He was a pretty special character.
Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
...David Bowie described Barrett as a "major inspiration"...

Someone else he influenced in a big way was Daevid Allen from Gong - in terms of his guitar style. Apparently, Allen would stand right at the front of the audience at the Roundhouse and elsewhere, just getting off on Barrett's spacey guitar sound. He decided to unashamedly copy this himself, but went one better... Allen's famous "glissando" guitar trademark was made possible by finding a set of Victorian gynaecological metal instruments in a case, and using these as his "steel finger". "Open wide - this won't hurt a bit, Mrs Jones..."

Not a lifestyle I'd choose, but there is something cool about having a very short professional life, frying your brains on acid, then becoming a total recluse and an icon in your own lifetime... Good for you, Syd - rather than just becoming a sad old fart playing See Emily Play at working men's clubs for 40-odd years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:44 pm 

A very sad day indeed :cry: !! Syd was one of my favorites, loved everything he did w\ the Floyd, and his solo material, Wont You Miss Me is one of my all time fav songs. Shine on brother. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:10 pm 

One of Marc Bolans idols was Syd Barrett, he actually married Syd's former secretary June Childs. I think you can see the influence as well, especially in the early pictures of him.

Quote:
"Bolan used to hang around in our office and sit on the floor, strumming his guitar, flirting with our secretary, June, who, of course, he later married. He was a great Syd fan. I was quite fond of him. He was a big pain in the arse, of course, very full of himself. I always liked that thing where he called himself the Bolan child, this magical, mythical name. It was really from his doorbell in Ladbroke Grove. It had his name, and our secretary's surname, Child, so it read Bolan Child and fans used to think, wow, he is the Bolan Child!" - Pink Floyd guitarist David Gilmour.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:29 pm 

I tattooed my brain all the way...

Other people are saying they are sad... I don't get it. What are people lamenting today that couldn't have been lamented for 30 years? He'd have never played again, wrote again, recorded again, or even appeared publicly to speak again... so what will we miss now that we haven't missed for a long time?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:34 pm 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:

Other people are saying they are sad... I don't get it. What are people lamenting today that couldn't have been lamented for 30 years? He'd have never played again, wrote again, recorded again, or even appeared publicly to speak again... so what will we miss now that we haven't missed for a long time?

Ya got a good point well made there rk. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:00 pm 

Hell I always felt sad listening to his music. now he's gone for sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:34 pm 

RIP, Syd.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:46 pm 

*is sad while listening to lucifer sam*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:51 am 

aspy_2nd_bunch wrote:

But there's an eerie way in which Syd's actual death was almost like a second, final death.

--Batchain :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:08 am 

Gee, show some respect to the man and his family, before being Syd Barrett he was Roger K. Barrett, a man, who lead his live as everyone else, even if coping with disease.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:22 am 

BatchainPartIV wrote:
aspy_2nd_bunch wrote:

But there's an eerie way in which Syd's actual death was almost like a second, final death.

--Batchain :cry:

yea, :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:23 am 

aspy_2nd_bunch wrote:

Stupid point. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:43 am 

wheatgurm wrote:
aspy_2nd_bunch wrote:

Stupid point. :roll:

Why is it stupid? 8)