Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: FaceBook sucks!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:56 pm
Posts: 4716
Yea I get sick of the Obama threads people rant on. (I was sick of the Bush ones too) I don't like Obama either but I don't rant on him every chance I get.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: FaceBook sucks!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:18 pm
Posts: 8045
Location: Over there! (last)
Image

_________________
Image
Never argue with stupid people; they will drag you
down to their level and then beat you with experience.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: FaceBook sucks!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:20 am
Posts: 1658
Location: Argentina
Cool guys like me don't use Facebook anymore. We use Instagram :smoke:

(Snapchat and Twitter too)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: FaceBook sucks!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:27 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:19 am
Posts: 17504
Location: misanthropia
Image

_________________
that's what happens when you don't read you loose your link to higher thinking


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: FaceBook sucks!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:18 pm
Posts: 8045
Location: Over there! (last)
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: FaceBook sucks!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:40 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:52 pm
Posts: 19999
Location: LumberTruckWest
Image

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: FaceBook sucks!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:57 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:18 pm
Posts: 8045
Location: Over there! (last)
Walt Handelsman
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: FaceBook sucks!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:18 pm
Posts: 8045
Location: Over there! (last)
Mike Luckovich
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: FaceBook sucks!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:52 pm
Posts: 19999
Location: LumberTruckWest
Image

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: FaceBook sucks!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:18 pm
Posts: 8045
Location: Over there! (last)
Christopher Weyant
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: FaceBook sucks!
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:18 pm
Posts: 8045
Location: Over there! (last)
Joep Bertrams
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: FaceBook sucks!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:52 pm
Posts: 19999
Location: LumberTruckWest
Image

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: FaceBook sucks!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:18 pm
Posts: 8045
Location: Over there! (last)
Tom Toles
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: FaceBook sucks!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:07 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:25 pm
Posts: 4505
Location: Oregon
Tired of hearing people bitch about privacy on social media. You all made a decision to post your entire lives and personal information on a website, and now you're upset when someone got a hold of it, boohoo. If you're worried about privacy get the f#*@k off social media. This has been obvious for almost two decades. Problem solved. :smoke:

_________________
“Listen to everyone, read everything; believe absolutely nothing unless you can prove it in your own right!”


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: social media sucks
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:29 pm
Posts: 8223
Location: exile
cory1984 wrote:
Tired of hearing people bitch about privacy on social media. You all made a decision to post your entire lives and personal information on a website, and now you're upset when someone got a hold of it, boohoo. If you're worried about privacy get the f#*@k off social media. This has been obvious for almost two decades. Problem solved. :smoke:
well said. 8)

_________________
"bit of nostalgia for the old folks."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: FaceBook sucks!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:19 pm
Posts: 635
Location: USA
Would you like to see a picture of my dinner?
How about the one sock I washed even though I never found its pair?

See, it's fun!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: FaceBook sucks!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:27 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:19 am
Posts: 17504
Location: misanthropia
Tero wrote:
Would you like to see a picture of my dinner?
How about the one sock I washed even though I never found its pair?

T0TES! pics or GTFO!!!

i am in facebook jail @ the moment 4 posting a pic of a recent BM that i made... it l00ked like a f!@#ing seahorse!

_________________
that's what happens when you don't read you loose your link to higher thinking


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: FaceBook sucks!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:48 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:25 pm
Posts: 4505
Location: Oregon
lapsed maps wrote:
T0TES! pics or GTFO!!!

i am in facebook jail @ the moment 4 posting a pic of a recent BM that i made... it l00ked like a f!@#ing seahorse!

Image

_________________
“Listen to everyone, read everything; believe absolutely nothing unless you can prove it in your own right!”


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: FaceBook sucks!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:18 pm
Posts: 8045
Location: Over there! (last)
Guy Parsons
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: FaceBook sucks!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:18 pm
Posts: 8045
Location: Over there! (last)
Stephen King quits Facebook over concerns of 'false information'

Stephen King has quit Facebook after voicing concerns about false information and privacy.

"I'm quitting Facebook," the author said on Twitter Friday. "Not comfortable with the flood of false information that's allowed in its political advertising, nor am I confident in its ability to protect its users' privacy. Follow me (and Molly, aka The Thing of Evil) on Twitter, if you like."

His Facebook profile has since been deleted.

more here :arrow: https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/02/us/stephen-king-quits-facebook-trnd/index.html


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: FaceBook sucks!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:27 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:25 pm
Posts: 4505
Location: Oregon
Facebook will notify users who like, comment on COVID-19 conspiracy theories and other misinformation

https://www.kron4.com/health/coronavirus/facebook-will-notify-users-who-like-comment-on-covid-19-conspiracy-theories-and-other-misinformation/

by: The Associated Press
Posted: Apr 16, 2020 / 08:07 AM PDT / Updated: Apr 16, 2020 / 08:09 AM PDT

Have you liked or commented on a Facebook post about the COVID-19 pandemic that turned out to be a hoax?

The social media company said Thursday it is now going to let users know if they liked, reacted or commented on posts with harmful misinformation about the virus that moderators later removed. Facebook says it will also direct people who engaged with those posts to information about virus myths debunked by the World Health Organization.

Facebook says people will start seeing these warning messages in the coming weeks. The company said it is also starting a new “Get the Facts” feature on the COVID-19 information center of its news feed that will include fact-checked articles from partner organizations that debunk misinformation about the coronavirus.

Many of Silicon Valley’s popular online platforms, including Facebook, have taken unprecedented steps to curb the wave of dangerous misinformation that has hit the internet with the coronavirus’ spread.

Facebook, for example, has banned ads promising coronavirus treatments or cures. The tech giant is using new algorithms and is trying to put facts about the virus from health officials and resources to state or local health departments in front of its users with an informational page.

But that hasn’t stopped all bad information from spreading quickly.

Conspiracy theories about the origin of the virus and the vaccines being developed to prevent it still pop up daily. Posts or videos that promote unverified treatments and cures have raked in thousands of a views.

Facebook users, for example, viewed a false claim that the virus is “destroyed by chlorine dioxide” nearly 200,000 times, estimates a new study out today from Avaaz, a left-leaning advocacy group that tracks and researches online misinformation.

The group found more than 100 pieces of misinformation about the coronavirus on Facebook, which was viewed millions of times even after the claims had been marked as false or misleading by fact checkers. Other false claims were not labeled as misinformation, despite being declared by fact-checkers as false. Facebook partners with news organizations around the world to provide fact checks of misleading content on its site. The Associated Press is part of the fact-checking program.

“Coronavirus misinformation content mutates and spreads faster than Facebook’s current system can track it,” Avaaz said in its report.

_________________
“Listen to everyone, read everything; believe absolutely nothing unless you can prove it in your own right!”


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: FaceBook sucks!
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 4:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:18 pm
Posts: 8045
Location: Over there! (last)
Rick McKee
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: FaceBook sucks!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:33 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:18 pm
Posts: 8045
Location: Over there! (last)
Joep Bertrams
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: FaceBook sucks!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:52 pm
Posts: 19999
Location: LumberTruckWest
cory1984 wrote:
Facebook will notify users who like, comment on COVID-19 conspiracy theories and other misinformation

https://www.kron4.com/health/coronavirus/facebook-will-notify-users-who-like-comment-on-covid-19-conspiracy-theories-and-other-misinformation/

by: The Associated Press
Posted: Apr 16, 2020 / 08:07 AM PDT / Updated: Apr 16, 2020 / 08:09 AM PDT

Have you liked or commented on a Facebook post about the COVID-19 pandemic that turned out to be a hoax?

The social media company said Thursday it is now going to let users know if they liked, reacted or commented on posts with harmful misinformation about the virus that moderators later removed. Facebook says it will also direct people who engaged with those posts to information about virus myths debunked by the World Health Organization.

Facebook says people will start seeing these warning messages in the coming weeks. The company said it is also starting a new “Get the Facts” feature on the COVID-19 information center of its news feed that will include fact-checked articles from partner organizations that debunk misinformation about the coronavirus.

Many of Silicon Valley’s popular online platforms, including Facebook, have taken unprecedented steps to curb the wave of dangerous misinformation that has hit the internet with the coronavirus’ spread.

Facebook, for example, has banned ads promising coronavirus treatments or cures. The tech giant is using new algorithms and is trying to put facts about the virus from health officials and resources to state or local health departments in front of its users with an informational page.

But that hasn’t stopped all bad information from spreading quickly.

Conspiracy theories about the origin of the virus and the vaccines being developed to prevent it still pop up daily. Posts or videos that promote unverified treatments and cures have raked in thousands of a views.

Facebook users, for example, viewed a false claim that the virus is “destroyed by chlorine dioxide” nearly 200,000 times, estimates a new study out today from Avaaz, a left-leaning advocacy group that tracks and researches online misinformation.

The group found more than 100 pieces of misinformation about the coronavirus on Facebook, which was viewed millions of times even after the claims had been marked as false or misleading by fact checkers. Other false claims were not labeled as misinformation, despite being declared by fact-checkers as false. Facebook partners with news organizations around the world to provide fact checks of misleading content on its site. The Associated Press is part of the fact-checking program.

“Coronavirus misinformation content mutates and spreads faster than Facebook’s current system can track it,” Avaaz said in its report.

The Angry Viking's videos keep getting blocked on fb. But only for so long. He just tryin to warn us.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: FaceBook sucks!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:40 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:25 pm
Posts: 4505
Location: Oregon
Facebook left 6,500 gallons of drilling fluid off the coast of Oregon
It didn’t tell the state about it for weeks

https://www.theverge.com/2020/8/17/21372395/facebook-drilling-fluid-equipment-submarine-cable-oregon-coast
By Justine Calma@justcalma Aug 17, 2020, 2:55pm EDT

Facebook abandoned broken equipment and thousands of gallons of drilling fluid under the ocean floor just off the coast of Oregon in April. The company was constructing a landing site for an undersea telecommunications cable when it hit an unexpected snag. A drill bit broke and got stuck after hitting hard rock about 50 feet under the seafloor on April 28th, Oregon Live and the Tillamook Headlight-Herald first reported in early August.

Residents of the seaside community of Tierra del Mar, Oregon, have feared that construction of the landing site would cause problems for locals and the environment since it was first proposed in 2018. One of the biggest threats with an incident like this, experts say, is the potential release of drilling fluid that could harm marine life and contaminate groundwater, depending on what chemicals are present in the fluid.

“Fifty feet is not much separation at all in terms of keeping something nasty out of the seafloor environment,” says Chris Goldfinger, a professor at Oregon State University’s College of Earth, Ocean, and Atmospheric Sciences. Rocks are very permeable, and fluids are flowing through them all the time, he adds. “It might not happen right away, but eventually, if it’s there, it would probably leak onto the seafloor,” he says.

The drilling mud used to lubricate the equipment was a clay called bentonite with small amounts of a polymer additive, according to Facebook. It’s biodegradable and nontoxic, the company tells The Verge. Bentonite on its own isn’t usually bad for the environment, John Dilles, another professor of geology at Oregon State, tells The Verge in an email. It’s sometimes used to absorb toxic metal at sites that need to be cleaned up or where waste needs to be contained, he says.

In the case of an accidental release, however, the drilling fluid components used at the site should be prevented from “entering sewers, waterways, or low areas,” according to safety data sheets published by the state. Facebook opted to leave 6,500 gallons of mud in place to “minimize the risk of leaks,” it wrote.

Facebook also left behind a drill tip, tools, and 1,100 feet of pipe. It’s not uncommon for companies to leave behind pieces of broken equipment when digging it up is more costly or could cause even more destruction. There’s a risk of losing more equipment when working through hard rock, according to Goldfinger.

Facebook determined that there wouldn’t be any “negative environmental or public health impact” from leaving behind the drill head, it said in an email. But the Oregon Department of State Lands thinks that other solutions might have been considered had it been notified earlier. Facebook didn’t inform the state that it had left behind the materials until June 17th, seven weeks after the drill broke. That delay “eliminated any potential options for recovery of the equipment,” Department of State Lands spokeswoman Ali Hansen told The Verge in an email. “The opportunity to fully evaluate recovery options was lost” when Facebook sealed the borehole without notifying the state, Hansen said.

The original permit for the project doesn’t allow Facebook subsidiary Edge Cable Holdings to “store” materials at the site. As a result, the Department of State Lands gave Facebook a month to come to an agreement on damages owed to the state for violating the permit. They also gave the company 180 days to either file a new permit or safely remove the equipment. Facebook plans to continue the construction of the cable landing in 2021. It will be the endpoint for the JUPITER cable system, which will connect the US to Japan and the Philippines. Amazon and SoftBank own parts of the cable also.

Facebook did not respond to The Verge’s questions about whether it will continue to monitor all of the materials it abandoned at the site or pay for any problems that might crop up in the future. “Facebook should be assessed a major fine to cover all the state’s costs in dealing with this ugly fiasco. The state of Oregon has thus far been excessively welcoming to submarine cable companies,” nonprofit advocacy group Oregon Coast Alliance, which has consistently opposed the project, wrote in a July newsletter.

_________________
“Listen to everyone, read everything; believe absolutely nothing unless you can prove it in your own right!”


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group