Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: FaceBook sucks!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:53 pm 

All I wanted to do was set up a little space for someone that might be looking for me to check out. I've known and forgotten a lot of people in my life. I thought I might set this up so they could message me and check out some photos.

So, suddenly all these fuckers from my high school that I don't even fucking remember and don't have a damn thing in common with and didn't like in the first place start asking to be my "friend". What a load of crap! I started with a strict policy of no "friends", then a couple of people that I actually know wanted to be "friends", so I confirmed them, so then all their "friends" want to be confirmed as my "friend" too. Why the fuck for?

So, I friend these people and guess what? They're all publically posting every fucking thing they do every fucking day and I genuinely do not care! Seriously! Half of them are hard-headed God-praising idiots, and the other half are just dumb all over. What do I care if their baby just shit its diaper and it's all yellowish brown?!!!

This isn't helping my misanthropy at all.

Post subject: Re: FaceBook sucks!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:52 pm 

Hey Rope the same thing happens over at dweezilzappaworld.

Check this out :arrow: http://www.dweezilzappaworld.com/posts/ ... -sh-points

Someone obviously has had enough & wanted to vent.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:15 pm 

posting personal info on the internet is a beyond insanity, it's fucking idiocy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:25 pm 

A rope leash wrote:
All I wanted to do was set up a little space for someone that might be looking for me to check out. I've known and forgotten a lot of people in my life. I thought I might set this up so they could message me and check out some photos.

So, suddenly all these fuckers from my high school that I don't even fucking remember and don't have a damn thing in common with and didn't like in the first place start asking to be my "friend". What a load of crap! I started with a strict policy of no "friends", then a couple of people that I actually know wanted to be "friends", so I confirmed them, so then all their "friends" want to be confirmed as my "friend" too. Why the fuck for?

So, I friend these people and guess what? They're all publically posting every fucking thing they do every fucking day and I genuinely do not care! Seriously! Half of them are hard-headed God-praising idiots, and the other half are just dumb all over. What do I care if their baby just shit its diaper and it's all yellowish brown?!!!

This isn't helping my misanthropy at all.

Shocked that you didn't even mention about anyone's Farm.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:09 pm 

http://vanelsas.wordpress.com/2008/04/1 ... ook-sucks/

5 reasons why Facebook sucks

So Facebook allows its users to import content into their newsfeeds now? Competing with aggregators like Friendfeed? Big deal. The service is already loaded with features that provide no value, so adding a new one isn’t going to make it any better. Let me provide you with five reasons I personally don’t like Facebook very much (hey, it’s just my opinion).

Facebook is a large walled garden that allows users in but never, ever let’s them out

Even after deletion fo an account your data is still within the Facebook databases. Moving to another service with your data is impossible. Getting your data out leads to account deletion (not data deletion, that remains with Facebook). I don’t like customer lock-in, I want customer freedom.

Facebook is based upon a flawed business model

They use the free but ad-based business model which is fine when you are a giant search company, but really sucks when your main objective should be allowing your users to interact. There is no place for ads in interaction. It’s merely trespassing in conversations between friends.

Facebook newsfeeds are highly overrated

They might have been the first to implement them, but the newsfeed sucks. I recently took a picture of my own newsfeed and it has learned me that one of my friends is playing Scrabble, three people added an application, someone had changed his profile picture (which was sort of obvious as I could already see that it had changed), and some advertisement for large Facebook groups I should be in. I’m not interested to read ‘Alexander went to movie X”. I’m interested in personal message like “Hey, I went to movie X last night. Had a great time, you should go see it too”. The first message was an Orwellian Facebook Big Brother is watching you headline. The second one was a personal message from a friend. Pick the one you like best.

Facebook is spam

Can’t say it any clearer. While a lot of Facebook’s intentions (and those that create Facebook applications), might be to provide the user a good time, it is spammy as hell. I get a lot of requests to look at things my friends send me, only to find out I need to forward it to other friends too. Often even before I get to see the content. I don’t want to harass my friends with that. Which reminds me that I need to talk to the person sending me that stuff too ;-)

Facebook is about data hogging, not about user value

Facebook isn’t there to provide its users with value. It is there to collect all the data it can get out of you, your social graph, your actions inside and outside the walled garden. It needs to do this in order to fuel it’s business model (that is why the business model is wrong). Facebook shouldn’t be hogging data, they should be providing user value. Instead of customer lock-in, they should be thinking about customer freedom. Instead of importing feeds from other sites, they should be opening up themselves to third parties. Instead of locking me down they should allow me to leave if I want to and taking my friends and data wherever I want to go. But they don’t, and you already know why.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:30 pm 

Tripmyster wrote:

yea and if you remember I posted the same thread a while back too. it's the same idiots who pissed him off too.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:18 pm 

I guess the days the Internet communities were only for people who could afford to spend an hour per day on-line AND thought it was worth their money, is definitely gone.
Looks like FaceBook is having the same problem as MySpace some years back.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:25 am 

I suspect these people are wanting to friend me so I can participate in their games like Farmville. I DO NOT HAVE TIME. Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

One old gal sent me a "hug request", and another sent me a "kiss". How about coming over here in person and kissing THIS?!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:35 am 

A rope leash wrote:
I suspect these people are wanting to friend me so I can participate in their games like Farmville. I DO NOT HAVE TIME. Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

One old gal sent me a "hug request", and another sent me a "kiss". How about coming over here in person and kissing THIS?!

Jeez, are you friends with a lot of 14 year old girls?

I have a Facebook account, but I hardly ever post anything on it. It's actually pretty easy to block stuff that you don't want to see on there. Also, as far as Facebook keeping everything you post in their database, I agree it's shady, but honestly, why would you ever post something online that you wouldn't want to be saved? The stuff you post on the internet is a lot more permanent than you might think.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:28 am 

A rope leash wrote:

I ignore all that shit. You can hide those applications so you don't see the crap in your feed, and you don't get requests.

I also have this on my profile.

Quote:
Please don't make a friend request if all you want is someone to help your farm.

This is pretty funny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7MuwPlOiNQ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:02 am 

AGuyWithAWrench wrote:

Boy, there's a gem :lol:

(I got a facebook page, I use what's good, and ignore the rest).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:28 am 

I tried FB for about 24hrs but became fed up with it due to the fact that I was just being alerted that someone wrote nothing of interist on my wall and it was most urget that I read it.

The whole thing could've taken place via email.

Remember the good ol' days when your "friends" didn't number in the hundreds and you could actually talk to them in person? I don't want to play Mob Wars or Farmville. :P

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:09 pm 

Nobody that understands that when I read or hear mySpace the great matter gets catapulted from out of me ears?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

..the book surely needs a fake-leaf-ting!-) and you call this world mad. Yeah, bright.

Last edited by Sabretoophairy on Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:58 pm 

You mean you guys don't like vapid posts like this? -->
Quote:
Everybody let's do this: We should flood Facebook with this!!!...I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands; one Nation under GOD indivisble,with Liberty and Justice for All! REPOST IF YOU KNOW GOD,OUR COUNTRY, AND OUR FLAG DESERVE RESPECT!! Let's see ...how many Americans will repost??

This was the woman I dated for a whole two months from the end of January to march. She still bitches about the fact that I deleted her from my friends.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:13 pm 

Huck_Phlem wrote:
Tripmyster wrote:

yea and if you remember I posted the same thread a while back too. it's the same idiots who pissed him off too.

Sorry I did not see that,can you supply a Link ?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:00 pm 

slimeoooy... u always have been and stil remain
the stuffing up the cracks paranoiac 8)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:20 am 

Hahaha!

FaceBorg.

Welcome to the collective.

I block just about everything and use it primarily as a portable and flaky email service. Before I figured out how to block things I was ready to shut it down after about 3 days of being invited to help out with CafeWorld, Farmville, Fishtown, Shutthefuckupville and Idontgivearatsasswhatyoudoinyoursparetimeville.

But every time you do anything you're invited to tell or invite or coerce friends.

It's a good way to lose them too.

Miasma!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:31 am 

It is a joke mostly for kids. I only started an account to check what it was, because my children wanted to use it (and I thereby managed to convince them that "privacy" was a joke; so mission accomplished). Well, it is just a digital playground one should never use for any serious purpose. Luckily it seems like a fad, my kids rarely uses it anymore because they got tired of all the automated crap one gets (even after having said no to any possible kind of message).

If you want to set up a space for friends and family, try talk to them or meet up. Or use e-mails. They are, I guess, as private as phone conversations.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:08 pm 

Yeah, well...for the life of me I cannot find the buttons to block all this crap. I'd be happy if I could just turn off the "news feed". I reckon I'll get it figured out soon...or maybe I should just chuck it and never go back.

...except I keep thinking someone I really want to contact me will find my page. I suppose that's the good thing about it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:38 am 

A rope leash wrote:
Yeah, well...for the life of me I cannot find the buttons to block all this crap. I'd be happy if I could just turn off the "news feed". I reckon I'll get it figured out soon...or maybe I should just chuck it and never go back.

...except I keep thinking someone I really want to contact me will find my page. I suppose that's the good thing about it.

When you're looking at your news feed and find something you want to block, move your cursor over the status, and a "Hide" icon should appear to the right of the text. When you click it, it should give you the option of blocking that application or blocking everything that person posts.

Post subject: re: hotel facebook
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:42 am 

a rope leash wrote:
...or maybe I should just chuck it and never go back.

...except ...
relax said the man, we are programmed to receive;
you can check-out any time you like, but you can never leave

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:31 pm 

I totally cut up on shit there. I just posted a picture of a meth lab and said. "Just got busted stealing sudafed on cracker Meth Lab"

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:49 pm 

Keep it up, Huck, and they'll be knocking soon...

Thanks, slime...I'll hold my nose and go back in to clean up that shit.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:04 am 

Facebook sucks only because of its disregard for privacy.

At least it doesn't censor content (much)...
(adopts Ray Collins mongoloid voice)
THE I PAD SUCKS!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:22 pm 

I just added a couple of friends (a husband and wife) I found on Facebook, and I assumed would be cool to get back in touch with. But for a week now it's been nothing but constant Obama bashing. Post after post after post. It would be okay, I don't mind people voicing their opinions, but that's all they talk about and nothing else. So I eventually had to hide them from my news feed.