Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1529 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 58, 59, 60, 61, 62  Next
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:17 pm 

Melania Trump wrote:
Cohuna Forecast Weather :mrgreen:

Mon
Partly Cloudy
36°C-14°C
Tue
Mostly Sunny
37°C-17°C
Wed
Mostly Sunny
37°C-17°C
Thu
Mostly Sunny
37°C-17°C
Fri
Sunny
40°C-22°C
Sat
Partly Cloudy
42°C-27°C
Sun
Partly Cloudy
42°C-27°C
Mon
Cloudy
42°C-17°C

Aren't you on fire right now?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:23 pm 

No, that was last week when it was 47C (116.6F)

No fire here but as you would have seen NSW, Qld & SA are having bad fires and many homes lost.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-50885772
Firefighters have flown in from the US and Canada to help........

NSW devastation laid bare as 72 homes destroyed in SA bushfires

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:16 pm 

good luck and keep that asbestos suit and extinguisher handy.....

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:43 pm 

Will do, I knew that suit would come in handy one day :smoke:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:39 pm 

Wellington's Forecast

Latest reading

Updated: December the 25th, 12:05pm

right about now according to the man: 16°C (60.8°F)

It's easily 23°C (73.4°F) in on and around the cave

Max: 18°C (64.4°F)

Min: 12°C (53.6°F)

Wind: 20 km/hr. (12.4 mph)

Rain Today: 0.0

Humidity: 65%

Clothing: 10%

Today's Forecast

Fine with high cloud and south easterlies

Thursday's Forecast

Mainly fine for most, but the odd shower about Upper Hutt in the afternoon and evening. Winds becoming light in the afternoon.

Thursday Max: 19°C (66.2°F) Min: 12°C (53.6°F)

Friday Max: 19°C (66.2°F) Min: 13°C (55.4°F)

Saturday Max: 17°C (62.6°F) Min: 10°C (50.0°F)

Just beginning to cloud over, providing a little respite from the blazing sun.....

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:05 am 

Flying high in the warm weather Orion side I see Mr. Ghost...while we're up here in the deep freeze in the NH.

Not too bad here today, a Christmas "warm up," it's sunny and gonna be 40f/4c today, not bad for a bike ride to get hungry for the Christmas dinner.

Glad the days are getting longer now as we finally start to head for the scorpion!

M42, Orion Nebula, the middle "star" in Orion's sword of three stars.
Sure, you can zoom in and get much bigger photos of it, but sometimes I like astrophotos just for a balanced composition, as though they were any other landscape photo from down here on the planet, lol! ...Just something from nature to be nice to look at.

Even the crappiest pair of binoculars will show that the center sword star is not a star at all, the nebula will look like a foggy grey patch in any pair of binoculars, look for huge Orion, rising high due south this time of year... M42 in the photo below.

While you're out there with binoculars, even the crappiest pair, if you would like to see another galaxy you can swing over to M31, our twin galaxy in Andromeda...if you see the sky map on the bottom of the last page and look high in the west for the huge diamond of Pegasus, then scan out the stars to the left where M31 is on the map, you'll see our twin spiral galaxy as another foggy patch, (it won't resolve to a spiral in binoculars). It's 2 and a quarter million light years away...so you got some range on those binocs, lol!

Grey_Ghost, I don't know if you can see Pegasus and M31 in the Southern Hemisphere...but you have 2 irregular naked eye galaxys that we don't have up here in the North where the huskies go.

Oh what the fuck, I'll put it here since the page flipped right after it...see M32 in Pegasus in the upper right quardrant of the all sky map below...

baddy wrote:
As we swing through the deepest night tonight (only 9 hours of day today), the map below shows 9pm, with Orion about to make a midnight swing high overhead due south.

Beyond Orion you can see the Milky Way, which is actually mostly the Orion Arm itself, on which we live on the inner "thigh" of, a little after where it splits off the main Sagittarius arm, (which is behind us at midnight this time of the year), so yes, we're sorta sleeping at the Y.

You might notice when Orion swings due south (NGP/Polaris near top of map is center of rotation), so will the plane of the galaxy, so yes, we are standing up straight, but in parallel with the plane of the galaxy; it's vertical behind Orion, not horizontal at midnight.

Living on the the inner side of the Orion arm, 2/3rds of the way out the galactic disk, looking through the Orion arm is the shortest way to look out through the plane of the disk; Sagittarius, behind us at midnight tonight, is the way to the center of our galaxy, we see it at midnight in the Summer on the other side of our orbit, (right now the Sun's in the way).

...and the good news is...

...the fucking days are getting longer!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:35 am 

Well, I'm in the weather thread, but that's where I do most of my riding...it's just cold and all stopped out there, waiting for the Spring thaw...

New Year's Eve, (age x 100)...

New Years Day, got a long way to go...Got a kool blue odo for the year though...

Lotsa people out there jogging and riding yesterday....lol, in two weeks it'll be a handful, and in a month it'll be me and the super hot Buddington road chick I see year round...although she looks much better in the summer!

Anyone doing resolutions?...I'm trying to get off my potato chip addiction...I made it to March last year, we'll see how far I get this year, lol, probably to tonight...

Interesting stuff...

I've been at it a few decades, I used to be really fat 30 years ago...

It appears it might be really great for aging rate (above)...but maybe helpful anti cancer, (which I've invited enough with all those cigarettes 30 years ago, I smoked ~25 years...and in telomere length, a pack a day is 2.5 years shortening for every year smoked)
Exercise, Telomeres, and Cancer: “The Exercise-Telomere Hypothesis”

...although food is likely the most powerful tool for prevention, reversal there....lol, eat yer oatmeal(:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:09 pm 

baddy wrote:
I'm trying to get off my potato chip addiction...I made it to March last year, we'll see how far I get this year, lol, probably to tonight...

Well, I made it about 18 hours.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:52 pm 

Cold

Fog

But not freezing-ass

lol, had to ride an hour home and back to get the camera when I saw these. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:51 pm 

^^^^^ not too long to the sunshine now baddy, I'm about two years clean on the evil potato chip ^^^^^

It's barely a summer in Wellington

It's official: Wellington's summer is far from perfect
Tom Hunt·14:43, January the 05th, 2020

The Wellington summer of 2019/2020 so far will live in infamy as barely being a summer at all. At least not by conventional measures.

As winds set to gust up to 120kmh (74mph) head towards the capital on Sunday on top of an already wet and blustery summer, there is one bit of good news - the chances of sun burn are somewhat diminished.

Met Service meteorologist Tahlia Crabtree said the outlook for January was for it to be colder than average, thanks in part to southerlies hitting Wellington caused by high pressure over the Tasman Sea.

It was a pattern likely to repeat itself during January "so we're looking to have weather like today continue", she said on Sunday.

"Warmer 'summer' weather has a habit of occurring later in the calendar-season, around February/March, so it isn't anything to worry about that January is starting off a little cooler than you would think.

STUFF
Grey skies are a feature of this summer in Wellington (File photo).

"As for Wellington, we have had reasonably settled days (not much wind) as of late, so I think we can be pretty happy with how the weather has fared for these holidays."

Historically, the last couple of summers had remarkably fine Januaries with January 2018 the hottest month on record for New Zealand since 1909. January 2019 was the third hottest on record.

"A marine heat wave that set up in the December prior to both of these months, and continued into each new year, which likely contributed to generally nicer weather.

"Our 2019 December was quite spring-like in weather, and that has continued into January 2020.

KEVIN STENT/STUFF
Les Hoerara of Wainuiomata showers off after a dip at Oriental Bay on one of the rare sunny days this summer.

"However, New Zealand is an island nation, close to the Southern Ocean, and expects to have changeable weather at all times of year. We don't get the luxury of clockwork continental climatology. Instead we have a generally temperate maritime climate."

Met service on Sunday issued a strong wind warning for parts of Tararua, Hawke's Bay, and Wellington with west and northwest winds expected to gust up to 120kmh (74mph)

LIBBY WILSON/FAIRFAX NZ
Rain has been an unusually-common visitor to Wellington this summer (File photo).

In Wellington, that was expected to be followed by a southerly change with the low on Monday forecast to be just 11°C (51.8°F)

It was just the latest in a wild summer that, just two days in saw flights in and out of Wellington cancelled on December the 2nd.​

A week later, winds were so strong that a two-tonne metal structure was lifted and dumped on spectators at a Newtown Park athletics event.

ROBERT KITCHIN/STUFF
Oriental Bay Beach on a better day - albeit one when it was closed to swimmers because of a storm water spill.

Around the same time heavy rain lashed Wellington leading to damaged roads, slips, and flooding. In Wainuiomata, 119mm of rain fell on 24 hours and Wellington recorded 1400 lightning strikes.

That was followed by more heavy rain and wind in mid-December.

Wellington NZ General Manager Anna Calver said the warmer weather "often takes longer" to reach the capital city than other parts of the country.

"While we wait there's plenty to keep people entertained with great exhibitions at Te Papa and City Gallery, trails to explore, concerts in the Botanic Garden and day trips where it's usually a few degrees warmer in Kapiti and the Wairarapa," she said.

Visitors "did not expect a beach town" when visiting the capital, according to Calver. Despite that sales through the Wellington i-site were expected to be higher than last year's.

Stuff

https://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/n ... om-perfect

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:40 pm 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
I'm about two years clean on the evil potato chip

Oh nice, your out of the woods...it is possible :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:15 pm 

baddy wrote:
Gray_Ghost wrote:
I'm about two years clean on the evil potato chip

Oh nice, your out of the woods...it is possible :)

hahaha one day at a time.

Our super market has a dedicated "chippie" aisle, I never ever go down that aisle
and yet on more than occasion I'll be at the checkout and there he is that
freakin dancing penguin on a nice big packet of ready salted original cut chicken chips,
right there in the cart!.....It's a struggle.....I might need to go to a meeting :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:41 pm 

Wellington's Forecast

Latest reading

Updated: January the 12th, 8:30am

right about now according to the man: 17°C (62.6°F)

It's easily 22°C (71.6°F) in on and around the cave

Max: 19°C (66.2°F)

Min: 15°C (59.0°F)

Wind: 33 km/hr. (20.5 mph)

Rain Today: 0.0

Humidity: 82%

Clothing: 10%

Today's Forecast

Mostly cloudy with patchy drizzle, fine breaks in the afternoon. Strong northerlies and gales in exposed places.....

Monday's Forecast

Occasional rain clearing in the afternoon, but remaining partly cloudy. Northerlies changing southerly in the morning.

Monday Max: 18°C (64.4°F) - Min: 12°C (53.6°F)

Tuesday Max: 17°C (62.6°F) - Min: 11°C (51.8°F)

Wednesday Max: 17°C (62.6°F) - Min: 12°C (53.6°F)

It's warm despite the whistling wind gusting about the place.....

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:44 pm 

Sorry, Australia, love to send you some.
(my area expecting 83mm of rain by tomorrow noon)

"Rainfall, combined with melting snow, is expected. The frozen ground has a reduced ability to absorb this rainfall.
Rain heavy at times will continue into early this evening. Total rainfall amounts of 40 to 70 mm are anticipated by this evening.
Since the ground is frozen, the winter rainfall warning criterion of 25 mm in 24 hours is being met.
The rain will change over to freezing rain beginning this evening as temperatures dip to near the zero degree mark. Freezing rain warnings are in effect.
Northwesterly winds gusting to 50 km/h in some areas Sunday morning coupled with possible ice build-up on tree branches and power lines may result in local power outages."

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:46 pm 

In the midst of a 20cm of snow blizzard.
Had to drive Sabbs to the nurses clinic. First thing I saw, as I left the driveway, was a car stuck trying to exit a driveway on the right, and a car stuck trying to get into a driveway on the left.
My G6 GT is pretty good in the snow, so we did get there and back. Waiting, in our buildings parking lot, was, yes, a car stuck in the laneway. So, I drove around her, and parked in my spot.
I love my car!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:24 pm 

Total crap. I walked a mile and a half just to get out of the house. I like the cold less and less. The wind made it worse.

So enjoy these two Finnish girls 20 years ago. The blonde writes all the lyrics, Paula. Mira just sings, loud! This one relates to tan lines. No bikinis, sorry. They seem to be crashing a wedding and are the entertaiment as well:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uW8m_w75vRs

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:24 pm 

Wellington's Forecast

Latest reading

Updated: January the 19th, 4:00pm

right about now according to the man: 15°C (59.0°F)

It's easily 20°C (68.0°F) in on and around the cave

Max: 19°C (66.2°F)

Min: 14°C (57.2°F)

Wind: 24 km/hr. (14.9 mph)

Rain Today: 2.2

Humidity: 100%

Clothing: 15%

Today's Forecast

Drizzle, mainly about the southern suburbs, clearing in the afternoon and fine spells developing. Southerly breezes.

Monday's Forecast

Morning low cloud, then becoming fine. Southerly breezes.

Monday Max: 22°C (71.6°F) - Min: 13°C (55.4°F)

Tuesday Max: 24°C (75.2°F) - Min: 15°C (59.0°F)

Wednesday Max: 20°C (68.0°F) - Min: 15°C (59.0°F)

Despite the airport being closed for fog, we're having a goldilocks day out in my neck of the woods.....

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:29 pm 

just plain doug wrote:
Had to drive Sabbs to the nurses clinic. First thing I saw, as I left the driveway, was a car stuck trying to exit a driveway on the right, and a car stuck trying to get into a driveway on the left.
My G6 GT is pretty good in the snow, so we did get there and back. Waiting, in our buildings parking lot, was, yes, a car stuck in the laneway. So, I drove around her, and parked in my spot.
I love my car!

is Sabbs ok?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:21 am 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
just plain doug wrote:
I love my car!

is Sabbs ok?

Ulcer blew a gasket. Needs to have dressings changed every 3 days.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:49 pm 

just plain doug wrote:
Gray_Ghost wrote:
just plain doug wrote:
I love my car!

is Sabbs ok?

Ulcer blew a gasket. Needs to have dressings changed every 3 days.

Ouch! thank goodness for Doctor Doug's tlc
looks like that 80's Steve McQueen driving course has finally paid off :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:23 pm 

Gray_Ghost wrote:

Well, my first car was a Mustang. 8)
(if you're wondering, I eventually took a corner too fast, on a rainy Good Friday, and totaled it against a Greek Orthodox church.)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:12 pm 

just plain doug wrote:
Gray_Ghost wrote:

Well, my first car was a Mustang. 8)
(if you're wondering, I eventually took a corner too fast, on a rainy Good Friday, and totaled it against a Greek Orthodox church.)

:lol: religion getting in the way of a goodtime, again.....

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:29 pm 

Wellington's Forecast

Latest reading

Updated: January the 24th, 7:15pm

right about now according to the man: 23°C (73.4°F)

It's a pleasant: 28°C (82.4°F) in on and around the cave

Max: 22°C (71.6°F)

Min: 15°C (59.0°F)

Wind: 37 km/hr. (22.9 mph)

Rain Today: 2.6

Humidity: 61%

Clothing: a dangerously low: 0.10%

Today's Forecast

Increasing cloudy periods. Northerlies.

Saturdays Forecast

Some low cloud morning and night, otherwise fine. Northerlies, strong at times.

Saturday Max: 24°C (75.2°F) - Min: 16°C (60.8°F)

Sunday Max: 24°C (75.2°F) - Min: 17°C (62.6°F)

Monday Max: 22°C (71.6°F) - Min: 16°C (60.8°F)

There has been a heat wave forecast for large parts of the east coasts of both islands
supposedly arriving later on tonight or early tomorrow and hanging around till Monday
or Tuesday, depending on the wind. The spillover is bound to heat us up a little also,
I can hardly wait.....

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:13 am 

In my neck of the woods today:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:04 pm 

In January we suffer from Tule Fog, generally making it my least favorite time of year it stretches from Redding to the Grape Vine just under 500 miles as seen here: :shock:

It also makes driving difficult at best and scary at times, the big 100 car pile-ups don't occur as often as they used to but they are a possibility... :arrow:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1529 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 58, 59, 60, 61, 62  Next