Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Syd Barrett
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:18 pm 

Just wanted to tell you about a new Syd Barrett site just launched
http://www.sydbarrett.com

Arnold Layne is a fine bit of psychedelic 60's pop, you can hear it on the site.

The Barrett family, (in particular Syd’s sister Rosemary Breen) are behind the site which is supportive of The Syd Barrett Fund, set up to raise funds for arts projects in the mental health sector.

Post subject: Re: Syd Barrett
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:32 pm 

I've been listening to so much Syd Barrett lately. Well, so much as in listening to his only two albums and The Peel Session over and over and over.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:17 pm 

I just saw this a few weeks ago. Netflix has it. It's good.

The Pink Floyd and Syd Barrett Story (2007)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:01 pm 

Thanks!! Love Syd

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:32 pm 

"Scream Thy Last Scream" is my favourite Syd. Although I don't think there is a track of his I don't enjoy.
My cousin used to work in an Artist's Materials shop in Cambridge. It took her a long time to find out that the grumpy, overweight guy who would constantly haggle about the price of a paintbrush was Syd Barrett

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:53 am 

Caputh wrote:
...Although I don't think there is a track of his I don't enjoy.

Even "If It's In You"???

yum yummy yum, don't yummy yum yom yom :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:48 am 

Yes, even "If It's in You". "Yes I'm thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinking of this...".
I used to hate it, but sometimes I found myself tunelessy yodelling it (even more tunelessly than Syd) while doing manual tasks and got to like it. Recently, I looked up the lyrics to see if I could work out what it was about, but was left none the wiser; something about trains?
One thing I always asked myself; obviously Syd got royalties from "Piper", "Saucerful" "Relics" etc; I wonder if Pink Floyd also paid him royalties for being the main subject of "Dark Side of the Moon", "Wish you were here" and "The Wall". If I were him it would have pissed me off a bit: "Oh, God. Another album about me?" :|

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:57 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iA7wdO00VI

The reason I started listening to PF .... Bought the lp new when it came out cuz I liked the album art.....the music knocked me out then and still does !

Thanks for the page info :D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:10 am 

Boom Boom ta tsetsch tsetsch, he took to much

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:15 am 

Caputh wrote:
Yes, even "If It's in You". "Yes I'm thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinking of this...".
I used to hate it, but sometimes I found myself tunelessy yodelling it (even more tunelessly than Syd) while doing manual tasks and got to like it. Recently, I looked up the lyrics to see if I could work out what it was about, but was left none the wiser; something about trains?
One thing I always asked myself; obviously Syd got royalties from "Piper", "Saucerful" "Relics" etc; I wonder if Pink Floyd also paid him royalties for being the main subject of "Dark Side of the Moon", "Wish you were here" and "The Wall". If I were him it would have pissed me off a bit: "Oh, God. Another album about me?" :|

I always thought THE WALL was as much (if not more) about Waters than it was about Barrett?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:46 am 

JIMMYJOHN wrote:
I always thought THE WALL was as much (if not more) about Waters than it was about Barrett?

That's true. It was about both but primarily Roger.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:42 pm 

Ýou're probably both right, but on the Syd Barrett DVD Waters talks about the scene in the "Wall" film where the cigarette burns down between Geldof's fingers and claims he saw Syd do something similar. Also the whole shaving of eyebrows bit is very Syd.
The thing that pisses me of slightly is the idea of this slightly unbalanced person, living quietly in Cambridge and wanting to forget his past being constantly reminded of it by a) fans and biographers turning up on his doorstep b) records and movies coming out with a take on his breakdown. No wonder he didn't want to see the other members of Pink Floyd after 1975.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:12 am 

I've never heard Floyd writing songs about Syd other than SOYCD when buy coincidence He showed up in 1975 in the sudio as they where recording the track,after not seeing them for about 1968.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:47 am 

Quote:
I've never heard Floyd writing songs about Syd other than SOYCD when buy coincidence He showed up in 1975 in the sudio as they where recording the track,after not seeing them for about 1968.

To answer your second point first, both Waters and Gilmour worked with Barrett on "The Madcap Laughs" (1969) and Gilmour's and Wright's association continued until 1971 (Bob Harris Radio Session).

To your first point:
Roger Waters on "Brain Damage" (DSOTM):
“The grass [as in 'the lunatic is on the grass'] was always the square in between the River Cam and Kings College chapel. I don't know why, but when I was young that was always the piece of grass, more than any other piece of grass, that I felt I was constrained to 'keep off '. I don't know why, but the song still makes me think of that piece of grass. The lunatic was Syd, really. He was obviously in my mind.” http://users.wpi.edu/~vamend/braindamage.htm

Consider also the lyrics from "Eclipse" as well as the subject matter: "And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes."

On "Wish you were here", there's obviously "Shine On you Crazy Diamond", but also the title track evokes both the break up of Gilmour's and Waters' relationship as well as Barrett, using as it does, the image of "the steel rail" (c.f. "If It's In You")as Julian Palocias in "Lost in the Woods" points out (p. 270, though he, and others - eg. Reising http://books.google.de/books?id=cAiL9oT ... 22&f=false - wrongly think it a reference to "Dark Globe"). See also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU5YJMJz7kA for the Floyd's own view, which also indicates they had Barrett in mind.

"Have a Cigar" also contains elements that refer to Syd. As Palocias has it, it is: "...a bitter indictment of the record business and the sorts of hoop-jumping the Floyd had been obliged to perform when they signed to EMI." (p. 270)

"The Wall" album contains a number of references to Syd, two of which (there are probably more, but I can't be bothered to listen to Waters' whingeing to find more) are:
1. The secret message at the end of the album " Congratulations, you have just discovered the secret message. Please send your answer to old Pink, care of the funny farm.." (a really sensitive reference, ho, ho.)
2. On "Comfortably Numb", which Waters has described as a song about schizophrenia and said it attempted to describe the feeling of madness as a state in which "[e]verything seems wrong... For Syd it must have felt like that... It must be almost beyond bearing." (Palacios, p. 277.)

The references to him in "the Wall" film and Water's admission that Syd played a role in the depiction of Pink I have already noted above (see the end of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGtN9P8V ... re=related and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU5YJMJz7kA).
Gilmour has also stated: "The central character is based on all sorts of people. Syd was convenient for some of the stories." (Watkinson & Andrews: "Crazy Diamond - Syd Barrett and the Dawn of Pink Floyd", p.126.)
Certainly friends of Syd saw the film as containing elements that referred to him. June Bolan: "I was absolutely shell-shocked; it was so close to Syd I couldn't bear it. When Pink was looking in that bathroom mirror and shaving himself, I just had tears, and was sitting in the cinema, because it was ever so close to him; I could feel for Syd totally". (Palacios, p. 277)

BTW, I always thought Syd's reputed comment on hearing "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" ("Sounds a bit old", quoted in Palacios, p. 272) was both amusing and appropriate.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:13 am 

Waw, nice and well documented.
Some great links too.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:00 am 

Thanks- I have to correct one error, though - the Bob Harris show was solo. The last appearance with Gimour and Wright was 24th of February 1970 and the last with Gimour was the abortive "Olympia" gig on the 6th of June 1970.
Pedants get it wrong, too! :|

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:21 am 

Did syd cut is own hair or Hospital?

The song Brain Damage,Roger or no member of Floyd admited the band sung about Drugs.Sounds more too me like they are singing about weed which didn't course no breakdown.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:37 am 

Looks to me like he cut it himself. Who knows.

Love this quote by Robyn Hitchcock, "Barrett is like a kid who got hold of a tube of talent,
the way that children would get hold of a tube of toothpaste – squeeze it all out".

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:23 pm 

cleon wrote:
Did syd cut is own hair or Hospital?

The song Brain Damage,Roger or no member of Floyd admited the band sung about Drugs.Sounds more too me like they are singing about weed which didn't course no breakdown.

A refreshingly post-modernist approach to interpreting lyrics! :wink:

According to Gayla Pinion, his then fiancee, he cut his hair at his engagement party to her in October 1970:
" 'There we were sitting round the table, surrounded by these terribly normal and respectable middle-class people. We were half-way through the first course when Syd suddenly coughed and spluttered, left his soup and went upstairs. When he came down, I looked up and he had chopped off all his hair. And would you believe it, no one batted an eyelid. They just carried on with the meal as if nothing had happened - didn't say a word. I thought: 'Are they mad or is it me?' " (Watkinson and Anderson, p. 102).

It also appears that Syd was also only actually in a mental home for a short period in the late 70's.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:55 am 

Ok You don't know Thanks.

Syd was told by doctor that he took too much Acid,In one time i think thats correct and i don't think it take years for that to show.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:45 am 

Spiritinthesky wrote:
Just wanted to tell you about a new Syd Barrett site just launched
http://www.sydbarrett.com

Arnold Layne is a fine bit of psychedelic 60's pop, you can hear it on the site.

The Barrett family, (in particular Syd’s sister Rosemary Breen) are behind the site which is supportive of The Syd Barrett Fund, set up to raise funds for arts projects in the mental health sector.

Thanks I must check this site out ...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:02 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:41 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:32 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:46 pm