Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2094 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:02 am 

Just to get a little truth out every once in a while; the "news" constantly keeps the general consensus well occupied and away from things that matter...

In the 1950's the US carpet bombed North Korea, killing 3.2 MILLION citizens.

Compensating for population, 1 in 5 is the equivalent of a foreign force carpet bombing and killing 60 million Americans, (would we be angry about that?).

Of course injuries far exceed successful kills, so multiply the heartache felt by Koreans under US bombs.

Oh yeah, take away their infrastructure too and sanction them away from recovery.

News doesn't talk about Americans killing 3.2 million Korean citizens, so no-one talks about it at the water cooler...like it never even happened.

So North Korean children go to school and learn history, including how the US decimated their population and infrastructure.

Then they go to the shore and see nuclear tipped US task forces conducting war games right off their shores...threatening then with less evil thermonuclear erasure.

Is it any wonder they want bombs too?

John Kay in Steppenwolf: "What would you do if I did that to you?"

Such is just one of the costs of loyalty to tv-propaganda, and loyalty to the rich through less evil voting.

Americans have lost nearly everything to the rich who control their thinking; just take a look around this most richly resourced nation on the planet.

Will it ever stop?

Is anyone else pissed off about this propaganda controlled giveaway?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:02 pm 

Trip wrote:
Who's trolling who ?

ain't nobody told you?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:19 am 

Sorry my rant last night. I'm pissed off.

Half the people in my country vote to heap on more of the same, the other half won't vote at all...both behaviors exactly what the rich need us to do to keep them in power. You can barely find a single soul to oppose them.

Reminds me of a Zappa song...

"They don't get excited when it crumbles and breaks,
they get on the phone and [vote] up [more] flakes.
Who rush on over and wreck it some more,
And we are so dumb, they're lining up at our door."

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:34 am 

This just in over at Counterpunch

"...The U.S. is now living through a second Gilded Age. Where once the robber barons were millionaires, today they’ve added a few zeros to their wealth and became billionaires. However, they act with no-less impunity, but a greater sense of entitlement. The Trump administration, together with the Republican-controlled Congress, are functional shills for the current generation of robber barons. As evident from the recently-passed tax bill, legislators jump when their big-money donors order them to deliver the goods — and they did.

[baddys note, the latest "tax break" shifts 83 billion a year more off the rich, and onto the backs of us reeegular folk.]

The U.S. economy has rebounded from the 2007-2009 “great recession,” with the stock market hitting new highs, unemployment the lowest in a generation and home prices recovering. But Americans still haven’t regained the wealth they lost, with incomes remaining stagnant and, on the whole, working Americans worse off than since the late-1990s. The Federal Reserve’s most recent Survey of Consumer Finances finds that median net worth for all families (measured in 2016 dollars) dropped 8 percent since 1998.

Most sobering, the poorer you are, the worst your fate – and this is compounded by race, education level, gender and age factors. America’s poorest, the bottom fifth, saw their net worth fall 22 percent; the broad working class, the second-lowest income tier, were the hardest hit with their net worth shrinking by more than a third (34%); and those dubbed “middle class,” with incomes from $43,501 to $69,500, were barely treading water, with their worth gaining a whopping 3.5 percent.

Since 1998, the top 10 percent saw their worth rise 146 percent. The share of the nation’s wealth held by the top 1 percent rose to 38.6 percent while that portion controlled by the bottom 90 percent fell 22.8 percent (from 33.2 percent in ’89). Looking at the nation’s income for the period of 2013 to 2016, the same phenomenon is evident: income going to the top 1 percent climbed to 23.8 percent (from 20.3 percent) while the share going to the bottom 90 percent slipped to about 50 percent (from 54 percent).

And then there is debt, the lubricant of the U.S. post-WW-II “consumer revolution.” During the 2013 to 2016 period, those with the lowest income (below $25,300), saw their debt rise by 57 percent; for the lower-middle class (incomes between $25,301 and $43,500), debt increased 58 percent; and for the middle class (incomes from $43,501 to $69,500), debt rose by a modest 12.5 percent.
..."

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:14 am 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:31 am 

"Birtherism"?? That ones so new, spell-check says it ain't a word.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:26 am 

How to combat micromanagement? Anyone ever successfully done it?

Of course I will be fired for disagreeing although pretty much all my peer field reps, and all the bosses two levels up disagree with micromanagement as well.

My division in my company markets wildly successful systems, no-one else can do what we do. It's so in demand that management can fuck up as severely as they want, and they still can't kill humongous growth of our systems, (quarter-million when I started, no over 3 billion a year and still growing).

we brought a manager on board who is a severe narccisist, and his skilled manipulations have accelerated his climb through management.

His acquisition heralded the dawn of micromanagement. Now the chain of command has become a chain of downwards vertical blame, with field service at the bottom, all blame flows down, instead of the proper way, which is up:

There are two types of problems in business;
1. Market problems
2. Management problems

With me at almost 65, I don't have to worry about "protecting a long career ahead" at my company, I have a growing freedom I've never had before. It wouldn't even be the end of the world if I got fired for speaking my mind, although I'm still weighing the + - of shutting up, getting paid, and working out my career...as opposed to trying to help things at my company...in 4 years I know what the answer will be, but there is still trepidation at 65.

My company recently spent boo0goo bucks on micromanagement software. Rather than simply servicing customers, we must spend increasing amounts of time servicing management as well.

People who have desks and laptops need paperwork for those laptops, so micromanagement has been evolving until it's about 30 - 40% of what we do.

This new software now tracks out every move in great detail (great for supplying busywork to micro-managers. Now many times during the day we must report from our phones where we're going and what we're doing, and in great detail, for example, start travel time, arrive on site time, leave site time, arrive home time...as well as a plethora of details of the content of our work.

We have a history of being understaffed as there is a 1.5 year learning curve to becoming minimally useful, which prevents keeping up with our rapid growth.

So the alternative in the mind of managers is to do better micromanagement, and make people at each level BELOW become responsible, rather than ABOVE which is the direction it should go.

So I make good enough money and can put up with the shit for another 5 years, of I can throw cauthin to the wind and try to fix things.

Like trying to get congressmen to adopt term limits (putting timeouts on their jobs), trying to get people who's job it is to micromanage to shift their jobs to helping is risky, so it's likely the messenger will be shot.

So I saw a couple cool pages in Wikipedia which describes my company, I was thinking of recruiting a friend of my Seattle daughter to email the below text to the big cheese micromanagers, the the source email would be very difficult to trace back to me.

But anyways, anyone successfully opposed micromanagement in their workplaces? How did you do it?

Here's some interesting reading from Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micromanagement
Definition

Merriam-Webster's Online Dictionary defines[3] micromanagement as "manage[ment] especially with excessive control or attention on details". Dictionary.com defines micromanagement as "manage[ment] or control with excessive attention to minor details".[4] The online dictionary Encarta defined micromanagement as "atten[tion] to small details in management: control [of] a person or a situation by paying extreme attention to small details".[5]

The notion of micromanagement can be extended to any social context where one person takes a bully approach in the level of control and influence over the members of a group. Often, this excessive obsession with the most minute of details causes a direct management failure in the ability to focus on the major details.[1]
Symptoms

Rather than giving general instructions on smaller tasks and then devoting time to supervising larger concerns, the micromanager monitors and assesses every step of a business process and avoids delegation of decisions.[6] Micromanagers are usually irritated when a subordinate makes decisions without consulting them, even if the decisions are within the subordinate's level of authority.

Micromanagement also frequently involves requests for unnecessary and overly detailed reports ("reportomania"). A micromanager tends to require constant and detailed performance feedback and to focus excessively on procedural trivia (often in detail greater than they can actually process) rather than on overall performance, quality and results. This focus on "low-level" trivia often delays decisions, clouds overall goals and objectives, restricts the flow of information between employees, and guides the various aspects of a project in different and often opposed directions. Many micromanagers accept such inefficiencies as less important than their retention of control or of the appearance of control.

It is common for micromanagers, especially those who exhibit narcissistic tendencies and/or micromanage deliberately and for strategic reasons, to delegate work to subordinates and then micromanage those subordinates' performance, enabling the micromanagers in question to both take credit for positive results and shift the blame for negative results to their subordinates.[7] These micromanagers thereby delegate accountability for failure but not the authority to take alternative actions that would have led to success or at least to the mitigation of that failure.

The most extreme cases of micromanagement constitute a management pathology closely related to workplace bullying and narcissistic behavior. Micromanagement resembles addiction in that although most micromanagers are behaviorally dependent on control over others, both as a lifestyle and as a means of maintaining that lifestyle, many of them fail to recognize and acknowledge their dependence even when everyone around them observes it.[1] Some severe cases of micromanagement arise from other underlying mental health conditions such as obsessive–compulsive personality disorder.

Although micromanagement is often easily recognized by employees, micromanagers rarely view themselves as such. In a form of denial similar to that found in addictive behavior, micromanagers will often rebut allegations of micromanagement by offering a competing characterization of their management style such as "structured", "organized", or "perfectionistic".

Here's some stuff on blame which also describes my "micromanagement on steroids" company:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blame#In_organizations

In organizations
See also: Kiss up kick down

Some systems theorists and management consultants, such as Gerald Weinberg, see the flow of blame in an organization as one of the most important indicators of that organization's robustness and integrity. Blame flowing upwards in a hierarchy, Weinberg argues, proves that superiors can take responsibility for their orders to their inferiors, and supply them with the resources required to do their jobs. But blame flowing downwards, from management to staff, or laterally between professionals, indicate organizational failure. In a blame culture, problem-solving is replaced by blame-avoidance. Weinberg emphasizes that blame coming from the top generates "fear, malaise, errors, accidents, and passive-aggressive responses from the bottom", with those at the bottom feeling powerless and lacking emotional safety.[10]

A no-blame culture has been widely[quantify] considered as a means to increase safety, in particular in areas where the consideration of possible human error is important, for instance in hospitals and in aviation. Together with questions of accountability, this has also been subsumed under the concept of creating a Just culture.[11][12] However, research conducted by King's College London found that increasing transparency and regulation in health care had unintended consequences of increasing defensive practice. Linked to rare but high-profile scandals, a self-interested blame business was found to be increasing a presumption of "guilty until proven innocent"[13][14]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:53 am 

baddy wrote:
combat micromanagement? Anyone ever successfully done it?

combat it? nope.
lose a job of 13 plus years to it? yep.

mother and fatherfuck micromanagement.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:09 am 

lapsed maps wrote:
baddy wrote:
combat micromanagement? Anyone ever successfully done it?

combat it? nope.
lose a job of 13 plus years to it? yep.

mother and fatherfuck micromanagement.

Another shot messenger, sorry to here, although it probably was a suck job anyways?

It's why I'm thinking of using a friend who is disconnected from my company, as well as geographically disconnected from me. I could compose an email to send to upper management, or may even include upper management down to all of us at the customer care levels...this way, management can't ignore or pretend they didn't get it...as well as can no longer pretend their micromanagement is not debilitating..if everyone has the same email with the content in my post above.

Dimensional thinking requires I think of "what are they gonna do" if everyone receives an email from an unknown source. Hard to shoot that messenger.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:27 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:48 pm 

So I have something to look forward to, I'm going to do the above, but it probably will be 4 years from now, so leaving won't matter.

If I could think of a way to send an anonymous email, I would probably do it now, but all the ways I can think of either involve someone else, and/or leave an IP trail to originator.

...lol and the email needs to be to all and it needs to have just two Wikipedia links to the micromanagement, and blame direction" pages quoted from above.

Could be fun just before retirement :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:14 am 

If you are employed on a ship, and a pregnant woman goes into labor, you may find yourself cleaning up afterbirth in the after berth.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:10 am 

If it comes out of hiding, why would it go back in again?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:40 pm 

WHO said/implied anything about it going back in?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:56 pm 

Guests are basically hidden too.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:13 am 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:36 am 

coevad wrote:
Guests are basically hidden too.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:04 pm 

What we could see and document of Jupiter in 1879, compared with a photo from last year.
ImageImage

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:24 pm 

Cosmic coincidence: A couple of hours before hearing about the death of Mort Walker.
I was reading chapter 2 of the book, "Carrying the Fire" by astronaut Michael Collins. He talks about weeks of psychological exams following weeks of physical exams.

*A Beetle Bailey cartoon say it all, in describing what bothers psychiatrists about astronauts. We evesdrop on a conversation between Dr. Bonkus and Captain Scabbard who is Private Zero's boss."

Quote:
Dr. Bonkus: I'm worried about that boy.

The Captain: Private Zero? Why?

Dr. Bonkus: He has no hang-ups, no worries, no phobias...no problems, no neuroses, no fears.

The Captain:What has he got?

Dr. Bonkus: I don't know. That's what worries me.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:15 am 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:37 am 

^Resulting headline: Ingesting Tide Pods cleans up Millennial gene-pool.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:46 am 

nobody likes a dirty pool.....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:53 am 

Seems as I age, not only am I losing hair, but I'm also losing some hearing. Natural thing, but still a bit jarring. Small details sometimes get misconstrued. For example: I was driving around and listening to a talk radio program. The interviewer was talking about military weaponry and was describing the size of certain artillery. I could've swore he said milliliters instead of millimeters. "Why would he say that" I wondered. (five seconds later)"Oh, I must be going slightly deaf."

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:56 am 

Milt you need to find your "Selective Hearing" setting and re-calibrate it.... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:12 am 

Pump Up The
Drown Out The Tinnitus

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2094 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84  Next