Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:41 am 

Small quibble - Analog to digital conversion is tantamount to remastering, albiet without much fuss, and back then converters were much worse than today.

It is a valid question to ask, "Why should a product of the sixties be changed in order to satisfy modern conventions?" Shouldn't the mp3/cd sound the way it came out of the Beatles Altec/Lansings in the control room when they originally mixed it, rather than seeking some other "perfect" sound?

Per George Martin's various mixes:
I am a fan of mono. For really hearing audio content, there's nothing better. Plus, it was BBC theory back then to make a great mono mix, then if you wanted to spread it out, you did it at the end.
I am a fan of stereo. The extreme left/right Beatles mixes are audio landmarks and I enjoy them.
I am NOT a fan of un-stereoizing the vocals to make them in the center to please corporate radio or whoever. Bleah.

Also, I HATE Love. What a shitty album, concept, result, cirque de whatever. Dhani = Beatle nepotism

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:03 am 

"Oh we're busy making money, we're the Twotles with Yoko and that wife of George whose name escapes me. Give us more, give us more, give us MORE" - seems to be the premise here.
I think you can take audio fidelity so far, but I'm not massively keen on buying the same music twice. Now, if they let me cash in my old Beatles CDs in exchange....

Last edited by Caputh on Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:04 am 

Lumpy Gravy wrote:
the beatles were fucking fantastic. 8)
jimmy the hindu wrote:
Har du köpt den?
Lumpy Gravy wrote:
nej, jag stal den. :wink:
HJ wrote:
I svenske kan man da ikke stole på. Men lyder det godt?

all joking aside, I haven't bought the remastered box set. for one thing, I can't afford to chunk out $260.00 right now.

I'm buying the albums separately. and I bought 'rubber soul' and 'revolver' the other day.
and, to me, they sound great. I am not an audiophile, by any means, and I am no expert on digital remastering. I just like the clarity of these new remasters. I grew up listening to the beatles, on everything from transistor radios, mono record players, lps to cds, and these new editions give me a new listening pleasure. can't wait to get the rest of them.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:45 am 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
Also, I HATE Love. What a shitty album, concept, result, cirque de whatever. Dhani = Beatle nepotism

Yeah. It had that same rancid smell as Starz on 45 (if you don't remember that, try to imagine Beatlemania, disco and Muzak all smashed together in one big pussball)...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:18 pm 

Hey Lumpy, how about giving us a play by play of a song of your choice, even one of the shorter ones. A before and after remastering of whatever in particular stands out. What's the greatest difference you've noticed so far?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:29 pm 

Milton Bradley wrote:
Hey Lumpy, how about giving us a play by play of a song of your choice, even one of the shorter ones. A before and after remastering of whatever in particular stands out. What's the greatest difference you've noticed so far?

well, I haven't done any in-depth track-by-track comparison yet (I'm not that analytical...), but, the greatest difference I've noticed so far? well, I can only agree with what's been said in reviews of these albums on the internet and in the press, that everything sounds so much clearer. that is the big difference. the clarity is simply amazing.

what I like on the two albums I've bought so far ('rubber soul' and 'revolver') is that it's so much easier to listen to, and follow, each individual instrument (and vocal, too). you can hear paul's every bass note, and, on the slower tracks, you can hear the tip of ringo's drum stick hitting the hi-hat!

and the vocals... same there. if you close your eyes, it's like john, paul and george is recording their vocals right there in your living room...

on the more guitar dominated tracks (like 'she said she said', 'if I needed someone', 'and your bird can sing'), you can really hear the difference between john and george's guitars (and paul, when he played the guitar) in a more obvious way than before.

oh, and just wait til you hear 'tomorrow never knows'... man! 8)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:13 am 

Thanks Lumpy,I can't wait to "turn off my mind relax and flow down stream" It is being. 8) :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:23 am 

I am a huge Beatles fan.........but I guess my ear just isn't so well trained. I have heard 3, I believe, cuts from the re-masters on my XM, and I'm sorry....but to me......this is all about the Benjamins.

After stopping into Best Buy the other day and seeing all the neat little repackaging schemes they have going on (including Abbey Road as an LP), I believe my decision has been made and the JFT will not benefit on my behalf.

I also think the "delay" in getting the catelog onto iTunes is, as W would put it.......strategery........and once the sales drop off.........which should be right after Christmas.......a deal will suddenly be struck.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:59 pm 

Lumpy Gravy wrote:
I'm buying the albums separately. and I bought 'rubber soul' and 'revolver' the other day

and, today, I got 'magical mystery tour' and 'past masters.'
stunning sound quality and amazing packaging... 8)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:38 pm 

I've got the remastered Revolver. I guess I'll have to listen to it on better equipment. Didn't notice much difference.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:07 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
I've got the remastered Revolver. I guess I'll have to listen to it on better equipment. Didn't notice much difference.

you didn't? man... you really need some 'better equipment', then. go out and get it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:01 am 

I never replied to Lumpys question if i had heard the Love album..i did hear it (download it) and i actually liked it:) i was a bit sceptical when it was released...thinking like the same old songs just reshuffled?!

But it was like hearing something new.. (i did like them mixing with different songs)

Maybe we should talk more about that release :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:54 am 

I quite enjoyed "Love" as well - though they stole the idea from The Residents' "Beyond The Valley Of A Day In The Life" :P

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:00 am 

Lumpy Gravy wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:

you didn't? man... you really need some 'better equipment', then. go out and get it.

Did it, and did notice a difference. Really nice.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:08 pm 

jimmy the hindu wrote:
I never replied to Lumpys question if i had heard the Love album..i did hear it (download it) and i actually liked it:) i was a bit sceptical when it was released...thinking like the same old songs just reshuffled?!

But it was like hearing something new.. (i did like them mixing with different songs)

Maybe we should talk more about that release :)

we already did. :arrow: love

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:25 am 

Listened to the remastered "Rubber Soul" at a friend's. (He's such a Beatles obsessive he bought both the mono and the stereo editions of all the cds complete). Had to admit that it did sound better than the original CD issue.

Last edited by Caputh on Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:47 pm 

did I say that the documentaries about the remastering, included on each disc, are pretty awesome as well? 8)

interesting misprint, though: on the 'magical mystery tour'-disc, it says (after the track listing), 'let it be mini-documentary'.
it's correct on the cover.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:28 pm 

I want to get it on vinyl. So Abby Road is the only one out now?

I have all their stuff as MP3 (yea I know)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:09 pm 

I just read someone quoting John Lennon saying that "if you haven't heard Sgt. Pepper's in mono, then you haven't heard it". No wonder it's only my 13th or so favorite Beatles album.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:39 pm 

I just read someone quoting John Lennon saying that "if you haven't heard Sgt. Pepper's in mono, then you haven't heard it". No wonder it's only my 13th or so favorite Beatles album.

I think I'd much rather hear it in stereo. Mr Kite especially.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:10 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:

I see that you have the remastered Revolver, but have you heard any of the mono mixes? I haven't and certainly can't afford to get albums I already have in other formats, but with JL's recommendation, I certainly would like to find out what makes the mono so special. I am a fan of mono. I like the fact that when I am nearer to one speaker than the other, I still have a full mix without stuff cancelling out due to phase problems. I even send stereo mixes to mono for the garage and back yard systems, cuz you know how important it is to hear everything when I'm raking leaves or the reciprocating saw is running! :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:43 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:

I see that you have the remastered Revolver, but have you heard any of the mono mixes? I haven't and certainly can't afford to get albums I already have in other formats, but with JL's recommendation, I certainly would like to find out what makes the mono so special. I am a fan of mono. I like the fact that when I am nearer to one speaker than the other, I still have a full mix without stuff cancelling out due to phase problems. I even send stereo mixes to mono for the garage and back yard systems, cuz you know how important it is to hear everything when I'm raking leaves or the reciprocating saw is running! :D

I bought the mono box set, and I definitely prefer the mono version of Sgt. Pepper. The mono mixes aren't just fold-downs of the stereo mixes. Mono was the standard in the UK up until the late 60s while stereo was still a novelty for pop music. George Martin and the Beatles toiled over the mono mixes as the definitive versions of their albums (up until the White Album or so), and the stereo mixes were a last minute thing, often done without the Beatles' presence or approval. As a result, there are some interesting differences between the mixes.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:37 pm 

madcow1515 wrote:
I bought the mono box set, and I definitely prefer the mono version of Sgt. Pepper. The mono mixes aren't just fold-downs of the stereo mixes. Mono was the standard in the UK up until the late 60s while stereo was still a novelty for pop music. George Martin and the Beatles toiled over the mono mixes as the definitive versions of their albums (up until the White Album or so), and the stereo mixes were a last minute thing, often done without the Beatles' presence or approval. As a result, there are some interesting differences between the mixes.

Yeah, the BBC order of operations back then, even when producing a stereo cut, was to mix to mono first, then at the end spread things out. This ensured that nothing was accidentally mixed with phasing problems that weren't noticed simply because the product was only monitored in stereo. This technic is still useful for mixing today, especially for people who wish not to make their mixes "headphones only".
That being said, and personal flavor preferences aside, what can you say about the content of the mix? Are there sounds that aren't on the stereo mix at all? Is the bass louder relative to other instruments? Are vocals processed differently, like more/less reverb? (Love that Abbey Road reverb! Did you know that they paid rent on an entire big empty room for sounds to bounce around in, then to be mic'ed as the reverb return as opposed to using any of the various Reveb Devices? REAL Reverb!) When the vocals come in do other sounds dip in volume? Do sounds meld into one instrument so that we get more of an ensemble sound than a conglomeration of instruments? Are background sounds made louder or moved to the front of the mix? Any details are welcome! Thanx!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:29 am 

Could you give me some more info on the documentaries whats on it? who are they interviewing? any rare footage?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:00 pm 

Lumpy Gravy wrote:
did I say that the documentaries about the remastering, included on each disc, are pretty awesome as well?
jimmy the hindu wrote:
Could you give me some more info on the documentaries whats on it? who are they interviewing? any rare footage?

well, they're short. around five minutes. and there are no interviews, really.
they are more like collages of photos and videos from the time of recording, and voices (from the beatles and george martin) and pieces of songs from the sessions.
and, they're kinda 'artistic.' 8)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next