Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue May 26, 2020 6:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:28 am 

ursinator wrote:
new video by Dr. Z.: The RIGHT Way To End This

Thanks ursinator :)

I thought this was highly interesting too, if I pretended I understood all the big words and let them slide, I got a lot of interesting stuff out of this one.

COVID-19 | Corona Virus: Epidemiology, Pathophysiology, Diagnostics

He has one on Treatment, Prognosis, Precautions. too. :)

My comment overall is: is rather than spending trillions on military for more profits for the already rich, at the costs of lives, wouldn't it be better to spend trillions on things GOOD for humanity instead? and in this most recent example ...clinics?

For example, we are fortunate this surfaced in Wuhan, a modern city where this could be diagnosed...it still spread, but what if this had surfaced in Chad where there is one doctor per 100, 000 people... They wouldn't have known why they were dying; what if this had started in Chad.

If people in richer countries are going to protect themselves against pathogens like SARS, (this won't be the last one for sure), then we're going to have to protect people in poorer countries to protect ourselves.

...and which binds people together better, firing two hellfire missiles with 1000 pounds of TNT worth $420, 000 taxpayer dollars, killing two families in mud huts, making enemies of the US of ALL their relatives... or a half million dollar clinic for the same price as the two bombs? (Obama dropped 26, 171 bombs in his last year in office, of course Trump continues, (so will Biden) ...WTF is wrong with us?).

What's better, Obama's trillion dollar unconstitutional nuclear weapons upgrade bill which Trump embraced (and Biden as well),...but wouldn't it be better to take that trillion dollars and payoff half of the recent 2 trillion dollar Covid-19 stimulus?

Us or Them: Why do we have to have their world the elite coax us into voting for, and not voting against; why can't we have the peaceful, prosperous, secure world which is much more easily attainable than the war and selfish world we're struggling so hard to promote for the rich, (for a related example, near the top of Nader's platform was the cheap plan for putting supplies in place for the "next pandemic," ventilators, masks and such...but we were not doing it right, we were too smart for that shit and got a trillion dollars for thermonuclear weapons instead).

More thermonuclear weapons or ventilators...we chose the weapons.

Will we change, or will we continue being controlled?

Will we learn the rulers we elect are fukkers, and start actively talking with our neighbors and giving them the idea to stand up for themselves?

Will we emerge into a better world?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:48 am 

lapsed maps wrote:
yeesh plook...
what did he do that is so wrong?
if he was asking questions that you wanted to know the answers to - would he still be a parasite that needs to be inhumanely murdered?

He is giving false information by not reveling what day he did his little uninformed video post, by uninformed I mean asking people who obviously do not have information to show some supposed falsehood, he comes across ambulance's that are staged and that obviously proves something (or not)...the dead have reached such a level in New York the poor souls are being housed in meat trucks, the hard working front line nurses are posting videos that put their jobs at risk just so people can know what we are really up against and that piece of shit is trying to make a name for himself, that is just craptacular... :evil:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:07 am 

baddy wrote:
ursinator wrote:
new video by Dr. Z.: The RIGHT Way To End This

Thanks ursinator :)

I thought this was highly interesting too, if I pretended I understood all the big words and let them slide, I got a lot of interesting stuff out of this one.

COVID-19 | Corona Virus: Epidemiology, Pathophysiology, Diagnostics

He has one on Treatment, Prognosis, Precautions. too. :)

Thnx, i watched it for most parts. English is not my original language, so the big words are quite a bit bigger for me :mrgreen:
Luckily Dr. Z. as well as Ninja Nerd give a clear speech.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:38 am 

The Guardian view on Jair Bolsonaro: a danger to Brazilians - Editorial

The president is wrecking his country’s attempts to contain the spread of coronavirus

Much of Brazil is now shut down. Governors impose rigorous quarantines. The health minister urges people to stay at home, warning that unless transmission is curbed the health system will collapse by the end of April. Even drug gangs lock down favelas to stop the spread of coronavirus. Meanwhile, a citizen decries the restrictions and heads out for a stroll at a local market. Facebook and Twitter remove his posts for touting unproven remedies and attacking physical distancing. One man cannot normally cause too much damage. Unfortunately, this one is the president.

Jair Bolsonaro’s ascent was always frightening, and his record since taking power last year – with attacks on human rights, minorities, the arts, and destruction of the Amazon – has been shameful. His response to coronavirus has plumbed new depths. Many governments will have to answer for their mistakes and complacency when the pandemic is over. Mr Bolsonaro’s performance is in a league of its own.
Coronavirus: the week explained - sign up for our email newsletter
Read more

He has repeatedly dismissed coronavirus as “just a little flu” or “a bit of a cold”, and as a media trick or fantasy. Having finally acknowledged its reality, he has told people to “face it like fucking men, not kids. We’ll all die one day”, and urged the country to “get back to normal” – as if such a thing were possible. Meeting and greeting his citizens in Brasília last weekend was doubly irresponsible, given his close contact with known coronavirus cases: the danger is not only the messages he has sent, but the physical risk he could pose to others. (Fox News recently reported that Mr Bolsonaro’s son said his father had tested positive, though this was later denied.)

The governor of São Paulo, Brazil’s most populous and economically powerful state, has told the public not to follow the president’s guidance. Mr Bolsonaro’s own health minister reportedly warned he would have to publicly contradict him, apparently backing down only after he was threatened with the sack.

Brazil already has 4,579 confirmed cases and 159 deaths. In a country of 210 million people, the president’s reckless course could be the difference between tens or hundreds of thousands of deaths. The danger to indigenous peoples – for whom Mr Bolsonaro’s contempt is well documented – is particularly severe. Highly infectious diseases have devastated communities in the past; coronavirus could be an existential threat.

As erratic as Mr Bolsonaro is, his current course doubtless owes something to his political calculations. Attack the restrictions now, and when the economy tanks he can blame the dreadful decisions made by others. He has already accused governors of being “job exterminators”. Some observers also suspect that he sees the pandemic as a way to stir up his base; he has always thrived on confrontation and chaos.

Yet even former allies are finally balking at his behaviour. Ronaldo Caiado, the rightwing governor of Goiás state, severed ties with the president last week, describing his behaviour as appalling. The rightwing chief of the strongly pro-Bolsonaro state of Santa Catarina declared himself “flabbergasted” by the president’s stance. There are reports of rumblings in the armed forces. Mr Bolsonaro may not believe in physical distancing, but he is proving remarkably successful in isolating himself.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:50 am 

Sean Delonas

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:00 am 

I Hope it was not an April's fool piece:

As the coronavirus spreads in Ecuador, bodies are being left on streets

By Pablo Jaramillo Viteri and Chris Kraul Los Angeles Times (TNS)

QUITO, Ecuador — The corpses have been overwhelming Guayaquil, a port city of 2.8 million at the epicenter of the coronavirus crisis in Ecuador.

Over the last few days, several were wrapped in plastic and left on the streets. Others have lain unclaimed in hospitals and clinics that have been overwhelmed by infections. The city morgue is full.

The majority of the dead are believed to be victims of the virus, but nobody can say for sure how many. There has been little testing.

The country has confirmed 2,700 infections and 93 deaths — 60 of them in Guayaquil and its immediate surroundings. But municipal officials there said they have recovered at least 400 bodies in recent days.

Mayor Cynthia Viteri, who announced that she has tested positive for the virus, said the national government should be responsible for collecting the corpses.

“They’re leaving them in the villages, they fall in front of hospitals,” she said in a Twitter video message to residents last week. “No one wants to recover them.”

The majority of those whose bodies have been found on the street were probably indigent, said Hector Galarza, a publicist in Guayaquil. “But it is generating panic.”

MORE

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:56 am 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
The country has confirmed 2,700 infections and 93 deaths

The majority of the dead are believed to be victims of the virus, but nobody can say for sure how many. There has been little testing...
— 60 of them in Guayaquil and its immediate surroundings. But municipal officials there said they have recovered at least 400 bodies in recent days.

Some pretty big discrepancies here. 93 reported deaths, yet over 400 bodies recovered from the streets. Sounds like many of the red states here in the U.S. that are under reporting or not giving out any info concerning the virus.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:08 am 

Here's a tip...

They're always telling us, especially when at the store, "Don't touch your face," which is about as useful advice as "Don't breathe 'till June," because we unconsciously touch our face on average every 2.5 minutes.

But I found a workaround that I think completely eliminates this vector...

When you go in the store, grab 3 disinfectant wipes and wipe off the cart handle as usual...THEN, keep the wet disinfectant wipe in your hands the whole time you're in the store, this keeps your hands moist and coated with disinfectant...you can touch anything, and then your face as much as you want...you can even stick your finger right up your nose if you want to :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:05 am 

cory1984 wrote:
Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
The country has confirmed 2,700 infections and 93 deaths

The majority of the dead are believed to be victims of the virus, but nobody can say for sure how many. There has been little testing...
— 60 of them in Guayaquil and its immediate surroundings. But municipal officials there said they have recovered at least 400 bodies in recent days.

Some pretty big discrepancies here. 93 reported deaths, yet over 400 bodies recovered from the streets. Sounds like many of the red states here in the U.S. that are under reporting or not giving out any info concerning the virus.

Mind you that other people might be dying of anything other than covid, since the health system could be collapsed. But the numbers are indeed screwed up. They might have 15,000 dead, I saw on tweeter, along daunting images and footage of people burning corpses in the street and such.

baddy wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:52 pm 

'Tiger King' star now in virus isolation, says husband

Tiger King's Joe Exotic is currently serving a 22-year sentence.

Joe "Exotic" Maldonado-Passage - the star of Netflix hit Tiger King - has been placed in coronavirus isolation in a Texas prison, his husband says.

Maldonado-Passage, 57, is serving a 22-year sentence for animal abuse and his involvement in a murder-for-hire plot.

He was placed in isolation when inmates at the jail where he was previously held tested positive for the virus, said his husband, Dillon Passage.

Rick McKee

Bruce Plante

Last edited by Mr. Nice Guy on Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:24 pm 

Mr. Green Genes, I saw a genetics company on TV that is trying to re-engineer DNA to make a Corona vaccine, apparently this is a new way of attempting this could you explain this for dummies so we can understand this better... :smoke:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:18 pm 

I even tried to look for what you were specifically talking, for there are around 70 independent research fronts for a vaccine, each with an alternative approach/goal. In a nutshell, traditional vaccines have a weakened version of the pathogen, or parts of it, as a model that can be used to teach our immune system prior to an actual infection. DNA or RNA vaccines, which are not publicly available yet, would carry the genetic message for the expression (i.e. building) or viral proteins (probably from the outer lipid envelope) that would be synthesized inside the subject's cells and perform that target role for the immune system to be early warned of what to search and destroy. Please, post a link so I can take a closer look into it. They could be build a disabled version of it, by tweaking their genetic program, also.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:32 pm 

It was on 60 minutes (CBS) on Sunday 03/22/20, it was the second one you mentioned and they felt they were close to having it figured out.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/scientists ... 020-03-22/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:21 pm 

Nice, I will look into it. I just saw on TV here that Israeli scientist are due to start testing a protein based oral vaccine and that Japan is starting to test a drug against the infection.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:06 pm 

This sounded like something very new and cutting edge, the scientist sounded very confident they were going to be able to get it done but also admitted it had never been done before, maybe you can cut through the information and give your opinion of this being successful.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:41 pm 

“WHAT ME WORRY? YES “

Peter Kuper

Monte Wolverton

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:42 pm 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:

baddy wrote:

:) :) :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:28 am 

baddy wrote:
Here's a tip...

They're always telling us, especially when at the store, "Don't touch your face," which is about as useful advice as "Don't breathe 'till June," because we unconsciously touch our face on average every 2.5 minutes.

When you go in the store, grab 3 disinfectant wipes and wipe off the cart handle as usual...THEN, keep the wet disinfectant wipe in your hands the whole time you're in the store, this keeps your hands moist and coated with disinfectant...you can touch anything, and then your face as much as you want...you can even stick your finger right up your nose if you want to :)

I tried that just the other day. If they're Purell wipes I found that by the time you get to the checkout they're already dried up.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:32 am 

Plook wrote:
This sounded like something very new and cutting edge, the scientist sounded very confident they were going to be able to get it done but also admitted it had never been done before, maybe you can cut through the information and give your opinion of this being successful.

That is actually very interesting. They are using, it seems, heavy bioinformatics to sieve possible protein regions suitable for the vaccine. I also was impressed with the automated robot testing of drugs in one lab!

The whole Molecular Biology premise is based on the so called Central Dogma:

With the DNA info you can know the structure primary structure (the amino acid sequence) of all the proteins of the virus. They probably target the spike proteins in the envelope to go through a virtually endless set of lock-and-key fit assays, in the computer (3 hours) to find suitable candidates to the vaccine... The difference from the pic above is that the virus is so simple, it does not have the DNA stage. Its genetic material is directly the RNAs inside it, which together amount to around 30 thousands genetic "letters" (monomers) A, C, G and U (instead of T).

The whole thing about virus biology is how simple they are, yet so powerful...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:12 am 

This is so cool!
Thank You GG!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:37 am 

Thanks! Nice to see you around, punknaynowned, stay safe!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:21 am 

Latest video by Dr. Z.: How COVID-19 Actually Spreads (w/Dr. Gloria Hwang)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:34 am 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:47 am 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:03 pm 

CORONAVIRUS COWBOY

Oguz Gurel

Oguz Gurel is a cartoonist working in Istanbul, Turkey.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next