Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 552 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:41 pm 

got my first shot of the moderna vaccine today. second one in four weeks.

it's going to feel good getting rid of that annoying mask. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:28 pm 

Lumpy Gravy wrote:

Are you sure about that?

WHO urges fully vaccinated people to continue to wear masks as delta Covid variant spreads

Published Fri, Jun 25 20212:02 PM EDTUpdated Fri, Jun 25 20214:34 PM EDT
Berkeley Lovelace Jr.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/25/delta-who-urges-fully-vaccinated-people-to-continue-to-wear-masks-as-variant-spreads.html

The World Health Organization on Friday urged fully vaccinated people to continue to wear masks, social distance and practice other Covid-19 pandemic safety measures as the highly contagious delta variant spreads rapidly across the globe.

“People cannot feel safe just because they had the two doses. They still need to protect themselves,” Dr. Mariangela Simao, WHO assistant director-general for access to medicines and health products, said during a news briefing from the agency’s Geneva headquarters.

“Vaccine alone won’t stop community transmission,” Simao added. “People need to continue to use masks consistently, be in ventilated spaces, hand hygiene ... the physical distance, avoid crowding. This still continues to be extremely important, even if you’re vaccinated when you have a community transmission ongoing.”

The health organization’s comments come as some countries, including the United States, have largely done away with masks and pandemic-related restrictions as the Covid vaccines have helped drive down the number of new infections and deaths.

The number of new infections in the U.S. has held steady over the last week at an average of 11,659 new cases per day, according to data compiled by Johns Hopkins University. Still, new infections have been plummeting over the last several months.

WHO officials said they are asking fully vaccinated people to continue to “play it safe” because a large portion of the world remains unvaccinated and highly contagious variants, like delta, are spreading in many countries, spurring outbreaks.

The Wall Street Journal reported Friday that about half of adults infected in an outbreak of the delta variant in Israel were fully vaccinated with the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, prompting the government there to reimpose an indoor mask requirement and other measures.

“Yes, you can reduce some measures and different countries have different recommendations in that regard. But there’s still the need for caution,” Dr. Bruce Aylward, a senior advisor to the WHO’s director-general, said at the briefing. “As we are seeing, there are new variants emerging.”

The WHO said last week that delta is becoming the dominant variant of the disease worldwide.

WHO officials have said the variant, first found in India but now in at least 92 countries, is the fastest and fittest coronavirus strain yet, and it will “pick off” the most vulnerable people, especially in places with low Covid vaccination rates.

They said there were reports that the delta variant also causes more severe symptoms, but that more research is needed to confirm those conclusions. Still, there are signs the delta strain could provoke different symptoms than other variants.

It has the potential “to be more lethal because it’s more efficient in the way it transmits between humans and it will eventually find those vulnerable individuals who will become severely ill, have to be hospitalized and potentially die,” Dr. Mike Ryan, executive director of the WHO’s health emergencies program, said Monday.

In the U.S., President Joe Biden said Covid deaths nationwide will continue to rise due to the spread of the “dangerous” delta variant, calling it a “serious concern.”

He warned that Americans who are still unvaccinated are especially at risk.

“Six hundred thousand-plus Americans have died, and with this delta variant you know there’s going to be others as well. You know it’s going to happen. We’ve got to get young people vaccinated,” Biden said Thursday at a community center in Raleigh, North Carolina

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:47 pm 

Lumpy Gravy wrote:

cory1984 wrote:

Are you sure about that?

WHO urges fully vaccinated people to continue to wear masks as delta Covid variant spreads

Published Fri, Jun 25 20212:02 PM EDTUpdated Fri, Jun 25 20214:34 PM EDT
Berkeley Lovelace Jr.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/25/delta-who-urges-fully-vaccinated-people-to-continue-to-wear-masks-as-variant-spreads.html

well, my wife said the other day that we should probably wear our masks if we go somewhere where there is a crowd of people.
but, we don't have any immediate plans to go out to any concerts or anything like that.
since I retired last fall, I've pretty much only been to grocery stores and the gas station (we quit drinking a while ago, so I'm not even going to any liquor store anymore).

but, sure I'm aware that the virus is still out there, and you have to be careful.
still, I think I'll chance it at the grocery store after I get my second shot. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:53 pm 

Lumpy Gravy wrote:
(we quit drinking a while ago, so I'm not even going to any liquor store anymore).

Congrats on letting go of the booze! Life is a lot easier without it!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:10 pm 

cory1984 wrote:
Lumpy Gravy wrote:
(we quit drinking a while ago, so I'm not even going to any liquor store anymore).

Congrats on letting go of the booze! Life is a lot easier without it!

+1

everything in moderation, including moderation.....

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:43 am 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:32 am 

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:18 am 

http://allowe.com/humor/sight-gags.html?PicNumber=7966

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:12 pm 

Peter Kuper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:31 am 

Bill Bramhall

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:55 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:30 am 

According to the Government the vaccine rollout is around three weeks
behind schedule but picking up nicely with mass vaccination events kicking in.....

According to some media the rollout is a disaster
hugely behind, with people being unable to get an
appointment and the big "events" being under attended.....

I got an e mail from the Government today, clicked on a link
popped in a couple of ID numbers and hey presto I'm
booked in for my first dose of Pfizer vaccine on September the 4th.....

According to the man, by the man I mean Jacinda,
Aotearoa, New Zealand now has:

2,864 Coronavirus Cases. +36 (since last week)

2,508 Confirmed Cases. +36 (since last week)

356 Probable Cases.

43 Active Cases. -13 (since last week)

26 Deaths.

2,795 Recovered Cases. + 49 (since last week)

No Community Transmission.....

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:50 am 

Got my 2nd dose of Pfizer today and the world's my oyster.

Ewww, oysters.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:50 pm 

A friend of mine went to a show the weekend before last. Somewhere around a hundred people were there. Apparently, at least one of them had symptomatic Covid. Since then, at least five people who were at the show have tested positive. They were all vaccinated - as was my friend, who has tested negative since then.

Good grief people: Just get the fucking shot...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:37 pm 

^^^ "

WooHoo! to BBP :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:05 am 

baddy wrote:
^^^ "

WooHoo! to BBP :D

+1 congratulations BBP, but let's be careful out there.....

We've got a number of vaccine refuseniks at work,
these lads don't realize their new and improved
employment contracts, drafted late November
2020 include a modified no jab no job clause,
previously the clause was specifically for the
seasonal flu injection.....

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:49 am 

BBP wrote:
Got my 2nd dose of Pfizer today and the world's my oyster.

Ewww, oysters.

Stay immune, keep avoiding spreading the virus, wear a mask, isolate as much as possible...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Qn_StzlMvQ

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:29 pm 

MentalTossFlycoon wrote:
A friend of mine went to a show the weekend before last. Somewhere around a hundred people were there. Apparently, at least one of them had symptomatic Covid. Since then, at least five people who were at the show have tested positive. They were all vaccinated - as was my friend, who has tested negative since then.

Good grief people: Just get the fucking shot...

Are you implying your friend and the 5 others wouldn't have gotten Covid if everyone at the gathering had gotten "the fucking shot"?
You are aware that vaccinated individuals can also carry the virus, right? If they do, the shed rate is the same as an unvaccinated person carrying the virus.
So if a vaccinated individual is unlucky enough to get infected it doesn't mean they got it from an unvaccinated person.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:00 pm 

well, I had my second moderna shot two days ago.

it feels good to have it. but, I am still going to be careful about being around people and continue to wear my mask . 8)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:45 pm 

^^^ Nice...always nice knowin' ya probably won't die!

I'm beginning to wonder if the end game is there is none, that we won't vaccinate enough people and have global hot spots, and it will just keep mutating.

The vaccine source is a for profit system, but I would say there is a case to be made for: don't the instructions for making the vaccine for a deadly pandemic belong to humanity?

How are we going to vaccinate the billions necessary? Are we going to go off the "for profit" system?

And then there's leaky vaccines question, they're common. No symptoms let the virus spread undetected (which can greatly multiply the problem), as well as the problem of producing vaccine resistant strains.

Daughter Heather ended up with PTSD after working Tampa, Atlanta, St Louis overload. She held hands in deathland 7 months, so now there's triggers all around her in her in her once familiar hospital surroundings... She's looking into hospice which won't be in the hospital setting, I think she's taken a job that starts in a couple weeks.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:31 am 

My warm feelings and deep respect for your hero daughter, amigo!<3

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:45 am 

baddy wrote:
Daughter Heather ended up with PTSD after working Tampa, Atlanta, St Louis overload. She held hands in deathland 7 months, so now there's triggers all around her in her in her once familiar hospital surroundings... She's looking into hospice which won't be in the hospital setting, I think she's taken a job that starts in a couple weeks.

What your daughter has been doing is certainly commendable. But isn't hospice work literally holding the hands of dying people? I would think this would be more of a trigger than being in a hospital setting.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:52 pm 

Thanks Mr GG, I'll pass it on(:

^^Heather was doing cardiac training getting the coveted first year experience in the ICU for people coming out of heart surgery, when covid hit, and everything changed.

People surprised and isolated by covid, and then fighting a messy, losing battle, and you do your best but you can't turn it around for them, and that's your only mode every day when you're in that setting.

That's different than a hospice setting, those patients are pretty much stable, have their family, your're not trying to save them, and they aren't dying a messy death, and coughing a virus that you don't want to get.

She worked a month on, month off, but had to isolate the first two weeks off (hotel), before rejoining her husband and daughter.

She told me a couple of months ago she wasn't going to do it anymore, she'd burned out.

We remember experiences in all senses at the same time, and store them that way, and replay them that way as a shortcut to reprocessing again new (reinventing the wheel), what we've already processed when we see similar surroundings around us again. Right now, so many things around her in the hospital are of the last four tours, she feels like she's there and it's bad, even when it's not.

I hope it changes for her, this is all new.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:50 am 

This discussion reminds me o B.Y.O.B from System of a Down: Why don't presidents fight the war?

The worst is to combat such a challenging war with denialists such as Trump-o and Bol$osashole-in-chief...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:42 am 

Damned straight!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 552 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next