Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 557 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 23  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 6:47 pm 

MentalTossFlycoon wrote:
There's definitely a preferred vaccine for Zappa Freaks.

You can't say Pfizer without fz...

(Yeah, I know that joke sucks. But I just got my second dose of Moderna, and I'm feeling kind of grody...) :roll: :) :roll:

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 12:07 pm 

People vaccinated against Covid-19 can go without masks indoors and outdoors, CDC says

By Elizabeth Cohen and John Bonifield, CNN
https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/13/health/cdc-mask-guidance-vaccinated/index.html
Updated 3:43 PM ET, Thu May 13, 2021
CDC updates mask guidance for fully vaccinated people

(CNN) People fully vaccinated against Covid-19 do not need to wear masks or practice social distancing indoors or outdoors, except under certain circumstances, the director of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention announced Thursday.

"If you are fully vaccinated, you can start doing the things that you had stopped doing because of the pandemic," Dr. Rochelle Walensky said during a White House Covid-19 briefing. "We have all longed for this moment when we can get back to some sense of normalcy."

Calling it an "exciting and powerful moment," Walensky said the science supports the updated CDC guidance that "anyone who is fully vaccinated can participate in indoor and outdoor activities -- large or small -- without wearing a mask or physical distancing."

She cited three studies -- one from Israel and two from the United States -- that show vaccines work.

The Israeli study, which was published in the Journal of the American Medical Association, showed the vaccine was 97% effective against symptomatic Covid-19 and 86% effective against asymptomatic infection in over 5,000 health care workers.

There have been reports of "breakthrough" infections among vaccinated people in the United States -- a small number among more than 117 million people in the United States who are now fully vaccinated. Walensky noted that "the resulting infection is more likely to have a lower viral load, may be shorter in duration, and likely less risk of transmission to others."

Walensky's announcement has a few caveats. She warned that people who are immune compromised should speak with their doctors before giving up their masks.

The requirement to wear masks during travel -- on buses, trains, planes and public transportation -- still stands, Walensky said. Guidance for travel will be updated as science emerges.

She also said that "the past year has shown us that this virus can be unpredictable, so if things get worse, there is always a chance we may need to make a change to these recommendations."

People who develop Covid-19 symptoms, even those who are vaccinated, should put their mask back on and get tested, Walensky said.
The science is clear, too, for unvaccinated people, Walensky said: "You remain at risk of mild or severe illness, of death, or spreading the disease to others. You should still mask and you should get vaccinated right away."

But once someone is fully vaccinated -- two weeks after the final dose -- "you can shed your mask," she said.

Some people may choose to continue wearing masks even if they are fully vaccinated, and that's OK, federal Covid-19 response leaders said Thursday.

"People have to make their own personal choice," Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said during the White House Covid-19 briefing.
"There's absolutely nothing wrong with an individual who has a certain level of risk aversion, as we know the risk is extremely low of getting infected whether you're indoors or outdoors. But there are those people who don't want to take that bit of a risk and there's nothing wrong with that and they shouldn't be criticized."

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 5:00 pm 

I go to that site
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
to get records about COVID-19

I thought was the good numbers.

When I google "usa official covid19 deaths", I get 583k deaths
Not what I get from the site worldometers who gives me 598536.
There's a huge difference.
And I heard Fauci saying that the numbers were underestimated.

Is there a web site with the real figures ?

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 4:01 pm 

Eight from Yankees test positive for Covid in post-vaccine breakthrough cases
The team is undergoing additional testing and contact tracing, with the assistance of the baseball commissioner’s office and its medical experts.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/sports/eight-yankees-test-positive-covid-post-vaccine-breakthrough-cases-n1267332

May 13, 2021, 10:38 PM PDT
By The Associated Press

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — New York Yankees shortstop Gleyber Torres tested positive for Covid-19 despite being fully vaccinated and having previously contracted the coronavirus during the offseason.

Torres is among eight so-called breakthrough positives among the Yankees — people who tested positive despite being fully vaccinated.

“Certainly unexpected,” Yankees manager Aaron Boone said of Torres. “Obviously everyone, Major League Baseball, that’s in charge of testing is looking into that. The variants that could be out there if that is the case.”

The Yankees said the team is undergoing additional testing and contact tracing, with the assistance of the baseball commissioner’s office and its medical experts. The New York State Department of Health is advising the team.

New York general manager Brian Cashman said MLB was in contact with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Thursday about the Yankees situation.

“With regard to the Yankees, we obviously need to learn more about that situation,” CDC director Dr. Rochelle Walensky said. “My understanding is that six of the seven reports, six of the seven infections, were indeed asymptomatic infections. And we will look to more data from that report to understand what happened there. All of the real-world data we’ve seen that’s been in the published literature, large studies, in many different settings, have demonstrated that those vaccines are effective, have a high effectiveness against disease.”

Also testing positive were pitching coach Matt Blake, third base coach Phil Nevin, first base coach Reggie Willits and four traveling staff.

“We are maybe a case study to some degree,” Cashman said.

Torres played in Tuesday night’s game at Tampa Bay and then was out of the lineup Wednesday night.

“When you read the fine print, they tell you that you still could get the Covid and the vaccination is to protect you from the symptoms, either to eliminate them all together and protect you if not fully protection then the percentages,” Cashman said. “But the one thing I take from this I believe the vaccine is working. We’ve got eight positives, seven of the eight presented as without symptoms.”

“Take great comfort, thankfully, that all were vaccination with the J&J provided from two different states,” Cashman added, referring to the Johnson & Johnson vaccination. “We believe it created the nice protection that we have to protect them from obviously something severe or something much more difficult to be handling than we currently are.”

Cashman said Nevin had symptoms that are no longer present.

“We’ve been rocked here the last several days,” Boone said. “I think it’s stopped all of us a little bit in our tracks. We’re dealing with a lot. Our heads are spinning trying to get our hands wrapped around everything.”

New York said all are under quarantine protocols in Tampa.

Boone said all eight continue to test positive. He added that there were no new cases Thursday and that all other players were available to play against the Rays.

“There is still concern,” Boone said. “I think the one positive right now is that today was the first day of no new cases. All saliva tests from yesterday that have come back in today were all negative. I hope that is good news and hopefully means we’re moving in the right direction.”

Tampa Bay manager Kevin Cash said the Rays were comfortable with Thursday’s game being played.

Rays pitcher Tyler Glasnow thought vaccinations played a key role in games not being postponed.

“I think if this was last year, it would be like a canceled game without any questions,” Glasnow said. “I think they have a good grip on what’s going on. From what I know no one from our team has tested positive or anything, so there’s definitely like separation from their side.”

The Yankees reached the 85% vaccination level on April 30, which allowed MLB protocols to be loosened. Among the changes, the requirement for masks in dugouts and bullpens was dropped.

“I think when we got to that threshold, frankly I probably relaxed a little bit,” Boone said. “I just think for us it just kind of made us be probably a little more cautious.”

Masking and social distancing are a focus with the Yankees.

“I think that guys are trying to be as cautious and respectful to everybody as they can,” Yankees pitcher Corey Kluber said. “It’s obviously changing at certain points in time, things like that. So just trying to be on our toes and be willing to adjust if necessary.”

The 24-year-old Torres was placed on the COVID-19 injured list before Thursday’s series finale at Tampa Bay. New York recalled infielder/outfielder Miguel Andújar from Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 1:17 am 

cory1984 wrote:
People vaccinated against Covid-19 can go without masks indoors and outdoors, CDC says

A Mother Superior Jumped the Gun case?

Of course we have to tackle the crisis locally, regionally and nationally, but the pandemic is global.

The urge for the self from the capitalist western world to impose him/her over the communal benefit would do good to hold the line for a while, while the PANdemic is done and over.

To recommend the use of simple cheap surgical masks would not hurt anybody (but the pride of those who believe it's their constitutional right to infect others)!

New variant spreading quickly from India, no actual knowledge of how much and if vaccinated individuals act as vectors, etc, etc, etc...

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 1:26 am 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
New variant spreading quickly from India, no actual knowledge of how much and if vaccinated individuals act as vectors, etc, etc, etc...

exactly...
which is why it seems like horrible timing for doing away with the masks.

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 6:27 pm 

Suddenly!

Covid-19: Traces of Covid-19 found in wastewater treatment plant
in Wellington

Denise Piper·13:22, 16th of May, 2021.

Traces of Covid-19 have been found in a wastewater treatment plant in Wellington.

Health officials say weak positive results from two wastewater tests are likely due to recently recovered cases continuing to shed the virus.

Anyone with Covid-19 symptoms, especially if they are in the Wellington region, should get a test, the Ministry of Health said.

ROSA WOODS/Stuff
The Ministry of Health will confirm on Sunday if there are any new confirmed cases of Covid-19 (File photo).

“In recent weeks three recovered cases who live in the Wellington region have left the Auckland quarantine facility,” the Ministry of Health spokesperson said.

"A further historical case left a Wellington managed isolation facility the same day the second sample was taken.”

Additionally, it is possible that one or more recently recovered cases from elsewhere could have flown into Wellington, the spokesperson said.

It comes as just one case of Covid-19 was confirmed in managed isolation.

The person flew from the US direct to Auckland on May 10, and was found to be positive on their day three routine test.

Earlier, two people in New Zealand, confirmed as casual contacts of a Melbourne community case, were cleared of coronavirus.

One person tested negative for Covid-19, while the other person was assessed as not needing a test, the Ministry of Health said on Friday.

The Melbourne community case was confirmed on Tuesday but the Government decided quarantine-free travel with Australia can continue.

On Friday, one historical case was identified – a person who arrived in New Zealand on April 24, from the United Arab Emirates via Malaysia.

New Zealand had 18 active cases of coronavirus and 2289 confirmed cases in total.

The rollout of the Covid-19 vaccine continues nationwide, while in the United States, fully vaccinated people are allowed to not wear a mask.

Stuff

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health ... wellington

According to the man and by man I mean Jacinda,
Aotearoa, New Zealand now has:

2,643 Coronavirus Cases. +14 (since last week)

2,287 Confirmed Cases. +14 (since last week)

356 Probable Cases.

22 Active Cases. - 3 (since last week)

26 Deaths.

2,595 Recovered Cases. + 17 (since last week)

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 11:31 am 

Got my first shot today. PFIZER. I wouldn't have accepted AstraZ.

They knew I was the guy afraid of needles...
So... the nurse who injected me did it with such delicacy and it went very well, and very fast.
Almost felt nothing. Like you said Baddy !
I hope all future vaccines will go the same way.

Nevertheless, I felt the vaccine in my body. I knew it was there.
I felt OK but just a bit strange.
And a guy next to me had to be wheelchaired cause he was not feeling well at all.

Next one in September. Gotta stay cool with masks, washing hands and all that stuff. It's not over yet.
:smoke:

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 12:16 am 

Ça c'est bien! Félicitation! Envoyer, SVP, celle AZ icite, parce que j'ai ne pas des problèmes!

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 2:29 am 

Mij wrote:
Got my first shot today. PFIZER. I wouldn't have accepted AstraZ.

They knew I was the guy afraid of needles...
So... the nurse who injected me did it with such delicacy and it went very well, and very fast.
Almost felt nothing. Like you said Baddy !
I hope all future vaccines will go the same way.

Nevertheless, I felt the vaccine in my body. I knew it was there.
I felt OK but just a bit strange.
And a guy next to me had to be wheelchaired cause he was not feeling well at all.

Next one in September. Gotta stay cool with masks, washing hands and all that stuff. It's not over yet.

Why do u have to wait until September for #2? Everyone i know, including myself had to wait only 3 weeks when administered the Pfizer.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 4:16 am 

because he was such a baby when he got his first one.
3 weeks was far too soon to have him back.

these women are nurses, not child-care workers.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 5:50 am 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Ça c'est bien! Félicitation! Envoyer, SVP, celle AZ icite, parce que j'ai ne pas des problèmes!

Bravo for your French !
There's no more AstraZeneca vaccines here and I doubt they will get some more.
Not being Mario Bros. and having only one life, not three, folks here prefer not to gamble with their own lifes.
Why take the risk when alternatives exist ?
8)

Last edited by Mij on Tue May 18, 2021 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 5:52 am 

cozylittlefooties wrote:
Why do u have to wait until September for #2? Everyone i know, including myself had to wait only 3 weeks when administered the Pfizer.

You're not living in Canada. For some times there was a shortage.
Consider yourself lucky !
8)

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 10:35 am 

Mij wrote:
Bravo for your French !

Merci!
Mij wrote:
Why take the risk when alternatives exist ?
8)

No vaccine for me right now, none...

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 12:10 pm 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:

How come ?
:?

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 12:48 pm 

Mij wrote:
Mr_Green_Genes wrote:

How come ?
:?

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 7:07 pm 

Only 53 millions vaccinated out of a population of 213 millions.
I see your problem. Hope it won't be too long for you.
But with a Trump-alike leader. . .

And things are going great in MAGA country since they got rid of Trump.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 11:01 am 

Jeff Koterba

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 11:24 am 

I had my first AZ jab a couple of weeks ago, with no untoward affects. The wait for the second in Oz is 12 weeks.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 4:15 am 

Nice goin Mij.

I discovered something about shit like this...it's not fear of the event, it's fear of fear, and for me it used to start about 2 or three weeks before the event....I would think of it and say, don't worry, that's three weeks away....which is really telling myself to worry more in two weeks... But at this 3 week point, the thought is such a small and "unpracticed" one, it can easily be brushed aside. But then two weeks come, and then one week, and the thought of the event is getting practiced, "neurons that fire together, wire together," as they say...so at week minus one, the worry is coming a lot, and it's no longer so easy to brush aside, and by day two it can't be. It doesn't matter what the event is, large or small the worry is the same....so it's really an exercise in not worrying about things before they happen, which I would guess about 90% of the population naturally does, it might be a needle to one,
a big exam or a public speaking event or a spider to another, or even a non physical event such as fear of being discovered as a dumb ass to another (live in fear and buy a hummer or become a troll), or in my case it was some surgeries.

The trick I learned with some repeated surgeries, is I drove myself crazy with the first, but the second I tried a new way and it gave me peace right through the night before when I slept pretty well... is when the first thought hit 3 weeks before I brushed it aside as usual and replaced it with another thought immediately....but since I kept doing that, right up to the night before, the neurons never got wired together so it remained easy to dismiss throughout the last 3 weeks, the thoughts came very infrequently (instead of more frequently), and were always easy to dismiss. So of course the professionals kept me comfortable, lol, it wasn't the surgeries I should have been afraid of, it was the aftermath of healing with 80 stitches, lol!

I don't know if I explained it right, but if I did, try it, it's a way of life :)

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 4:19 am 

Mij wrote:

Quite respectfully Mij, don't look at the tree, look at the forest :)

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 6:51 am 

baddy wrote:
Mij wrote:

Quite respectfully Mij, don't look at the tree, look at the forest :)
Trump's more like a splinter than a tree. :roll:

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 9:33 am 

You give a serious and reasonable description of fear. Not forgetting that the cause varies from one to another.
I had a blood shot last Thursday with a butterfly syringe, which is my way to diminished the fear and the horrible sensation.
A blood shot is worse than a vaccine for me so far. It goes deeper.
Nevertheless, I ask for that type of needle and I get it.
I read that 40% of the population feel the same way as I.

I guess that all future injections or blood shots will be the same way as I experenced this week.
The only thing to master for me will be catheter. It uses a bigger needle.
So far it's a thing that didn't happened very often.
So far, so good.

Thanks Baddy for the sympathy.
You have mine.
8)

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 9:34 am 

Mr. Nice Guy wrote:

The kind from which they make the toilet paper...
:mrgreen: :smoke:

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 2:19 pm 

Mij wrote:
Mr. Nice Guy wrote:

The kind from which they make the toilet paper...
:mrgreen: :smoke:

Hahaha you know what they're selling here in the orange European football championship craze?
Orange toilet paper!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 557 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 23  Next