Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:54 pm 

Best 2016 Concert Experiences

Consider all factors - venue, location, proximity to stage, performance, etc.

1) Buckethead - Ace of Spades, Sacramento, CA - Not a great venue but it was sparsely attended so I got to get close to the stage and I loved the music and performance.
2) King's X - Crest Theater, Sacramento, CA. Cool to see an old favorite for the first time with a great seat in a nice venue.
3). Todd Rundgren- Uptown Theater, Napa, CA. Great show showcasing the "hits" in intimate historic theater plus got to hang with Plook's posse. The first three shows on this list could easily be exchanged.
3-a) Al Dimeola - Also Uptown Theater, Napa, CA.
4) Joe Satriani - Grand Sierra Resort, Reno, NV. I've seen Joe a bunch of times over the years but this was the best (tunes from his whole career, best visuals, best band / Keneally, Beller, Minnenan). Even bumped into Beller at an elevator. Only wished I had acted sooner and got a better seat.
5) Steve Vai - Ace of Spades, Sacramento, CA. Played Passion & Warfare in its entirety. Same place as Buckethead but cramped in like sardines this time. Cool visuals behind band from throughout his career (including Stevie's Spanking w/ Frank). This would have been so much better at a place like the Crest.
6) Generation Axe (Vai, Malmsteen, Wilde, Bettencourt, Abasi) - Hard Rock Cafe, Las Vegas,NV. God, why did I do this? I was really burnt out from work and decided to go to this for a vacation? Way too far to drive for anything. Zakk Wylde is the most boring shredder ever! Yech!! I did go to a couple of cool record stores while I was there though and picked up some cool stuff.

Last edited by KUIII on Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:14 pm 

saw none

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:58 pm 

Last concert seen: Steve Hackett in November, 2015.

2016: Got tickets to see Steve Hackett in February, 2017.

>You don't.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:56 pm 

You're in a rut.

Actually, I think I saw Queen Nation last year. I think.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:50 am 

Célio Balona and Túlio Mourão

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:08 am 

David Gilmour - Open Air Schlossgarten Stuttgart: great show, perfect sound

Steven Wilson - Jahrhunderthalle Bochum: best sound ever, complete new album and some classics

The Jayhawks - Passionskirche Berlin: nice venue, the Jayhawks good as always

The Who - Köpiarena Oberhausen: brave old men

Magma - Scala Leverkusen: small club, fantastic music, intense atmosphere

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:10 am 

Forgot the great Wilco concert at Kongresszentrum Düsseldorf.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:59 am 

Apr. 1st - Steve Hackett, Orpheum Theater, Los Angeles (the genesis set: Get 'em Out by Friday, Can-Utility and the Coastliners, After The Ordeal, The Cinema Show, Aisle Of Plenty, The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway, The Musical Box - encore: Clocks - Angel Of Mons, Firth Of Fifth)

May 4th - Todd Rundgren, The Rose, Pasadena (Lots of guitar by Todd. favs played - Fascist Christ, Open My Eyes, Soul Brother)

Aug. 20th - Todd Rundgren(free concert), Pershing Square, LA (favs - Sometimes I Don't Know What To Feel, Just One Victory)

Sept. 29th - Dweezil Zappa Cease and Desist tour, The Coach House, San Juan Capistano (Packard Goose!)

Nov. 22nd - ARW, Orpheum Theater, LA (Heart Of The Sunrise, The Meeting)

It's a five way tie!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:38 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:
saw none

Ditto.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:57 pm 

coevad wrote:
Apr. 1st - Steve Hackett, Orpheum Theater, Los Angeles (the genesis set: Get 'em Out by Friday, Can-Utility and the Coastliners, After The Ordeal, The Cinema Show, Aisle Of Plenty, The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway, The Musical Box - encore: Clocks - Angel Of Mons, Firth Of Fifth)

May 4th - Todd Rundgren, The Rose, Pasadena (Lots of guitar by Todd. favs played - Fascist Christ, Open My Eyes, Soul Brother)

Aug. 20th - Todd Rundgren(free concert), Pershing Square, LA (favs - Sometimes I Don't Know What To Feel, Just One Victory)

Sept. 29th - Dweezil Zappa Cease and Desist tour, The Coach House, San Juan Capistano (Packard Goose!)

It's a five way tie!

I forgot Jeff Beck

Aug. 10th - 50 Years Of Jeff Beck, Hollywood Bowl (many guests, setlist link - http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/jeff-beck ... c88f3.html)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:08 pm 

Nobody comes to Memphis anymore. Sucks, but it is what it is. So here's everybody I saw.

March- Fall Out Boy - took my daughter who loved it. For me, it was probably the most dazzling display of stage lighting I've ever seen.

June - Buckethead. He comes out of hibernation and basically does the same set he did four years ago. Of course I love it, but would like to see him expand his stage repertoire.

August - Umphrey's McGee. Great show. They're probably my most listened to band these days.

September - Melanie Martinez - took my daughter and friend. Melanie is a singer from one of the tv talent shows. I couldn't begin to enjoy it mainly because it was too crowded and I stood in the very back, lobby area.

And that's it.
(got DZ on tap in January).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:29 am 

Micheal Kiwanuka -Great show, bad PA system in a very small venu.
The Last Bandoleros + Tim Hicks + Kristyn Harris - at Europes biggest and oldest rodeo...in Ardèche....Line dancing anyone ?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:22 pm 

coevad wrote:
coevad wrote:

It's a five way tie!

I forgot Jeff Beck

Aug. 10th - 50 Years Of Jeff Beck, Hollywood Bowl (many guests, setlist link - http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/jeff-beck ... c88f3.html)

Forgot about going to see Al Di Meola last June. Great show.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:46 pm 

coevad wrote:
coevad wrote:
coevad wrote:

It's a five way tie!

I forgot Jeff Beck

Forgot about going to see Al Di Meola last June. Great show.

Oh, crap! Me too. I saw Al in Napa. I'd rank it among my top three for the year.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:51 pm 

^His band was perfect.