Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Conlon Nancarrow
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 3:45 pm 

Just of curiosity...<br>FZ often mentioned Conlon Nancarrow, an American composer, in his interviews. I have 5 CDs of his music. His studies for the player piano are astonishing. It's no surprise his music influenced FZ.<br><br>My question is: how many of you folks know his music?

Post subject: Re: Conlon Nancarrow
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 5:46 pm 

I haven't heard his stuff, but I've read about him more than once and know a bit about him and the things he did. He's one of those guys I'm interested in checking out but so far haven't done anything about it. <br>Are your 5 CD's a set, or did you get them individually? I'm intersted in hearing what you have to say about them.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 6:16 pm 

Nancarrow's music is terrific. The player piano is not only a "curiosity": it's very nice. CN couldn't use a computer or a Synclavier (hey, he was born in 1912!). His studies are very interesting rythmic studies. I love these clusters of sounds.<br>I have the following CDs:<br>Studies for Player Piano vol. I & II<br>Studies for Player Piano vol. III & IV<br>Studies for Player Piano vol. V<br>Studies (performed by The Ensemble Modern)<br>Continuum (orchestral, chamber & piano music)<br><br>The first 3 are on Wergo label, the fourth on RCA and the fifth on MusicMasters.<br><br>His music is a must-hear!<br><br>It's very sad that he's no more now  :'( I don't know much about his life except the fact that he lived (and died?) in Mexico.<br><br><br>

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 6:27 pm 

Cool! Thanks!<br><br>I've been curious to hear his player piano works for years but have never pursued finding recordings. Glad to know they're out there. He is certainly a fascinating composer. I have an extensive article about him filed away somewhere around here.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 7:16 pm 

[quote author=CheepnisAroma link=board=general;num=1061084705;start=0#2 date=08/16/03 at 21:16:39]<br><br>Studies (performed by The Ensemble Modern)<br>[/quote]<br><br>I own this one and like it alot, great great stuff. Someday I'll check out more.

>You don't.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 7:34 pm 

I so much want to get some of Nancarrow's work.  Does not seem to be locally available, but I have not tried real hard.  Now I am reminded of it.  Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 1:54 am 

I'm afraid the Wergo CDs are not available any more. I couldn't find any CN CDs on Amazon.<br>For those of you who'd like to read some info about his life (and see his face), click this link<br><br>http://home.earthlink.net/~kgann/cnlife.html<br><br>Actually, I'm listening his music at this very moment :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 3:35 am 

[quote author=CheepnisAroma link=board=general;num=1061084705;start=0#6 date=08/17/03 at 04:54:55]I'm afraid the Wergo CDs are not available any more. [/quote]<br> ::) I'm not surprised. I was more surprised that they EVER existed in the first place. There can't be a huge demand for those CD's, although I'd like to hear them.<br><br>Speaking of player pianos, I went to The Scott Joplin House in St. Louis once. I was the only customer there, and at the end of the tour she took me into a room with a player piano. They had a bunch of rolls, and at least one of them was made by Scott himself. I told her I was a musician, yadda yadda yadda, I persuaded her to load it up and let me operate the foot pedals. :) <br>Pretty cool interacting with a dead composer through a player piano and seeing "Scott's ghost hands" play the song right in front of me.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 4:08 am 

Image<br>The Scott Joplin House player piano<br>
  • Boxes on top of piano are some of the piano rolls
  • That's not me seated at the piano
  • They have no Conlon Nancarrow rolls
  • Mmmmm...rolls....time to hit the diner for breakfast. Enjoy your Sunday.

Post subject: re: conlon nancarrow
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 7:23 am 

i never find any of his cd's at the shops...i've got a few mp3's and prefer anything other than the ragtime-ish tracks...he reminds me of michel petruccianni with his jazz/classical phrasings & even a bit of early k.emerson....<br><br>[tt]let's hear it for another great italian, conlon nancarrow, ladies and gentlemen  ;D[/tt]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 7:13 am 

I checked on Amazon.com: the Wergo set is available again, with a different cover, probably a 5-CD set. It costs $85 if my memory is good.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 5:11 am 

[quote author=Mr. Canadian link=board=general;num=1061084705;start=0#13 date=08/19/03 at 10:23:23]<br><br>it's available with the same ol' cover and it costs $67.98.<br>[/quote]<br><br>No it's not the same cover, the 3 Wergo CDs don't have this one. The cover of this new set is nicer.<br>

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 5:26 am 

The more I get into Nancarrow's music, the more I find within Zappa's Synclavier work.  Another Great Italian!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 6:45 am 

Well, yes, 2 double CDs and a single one :) Actually the cover of Vol. III & IV looks like the one you can see on Amazon.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 7:18 am 

Yep, all clear  :)<br><br>Yesterday, I ordered the following CDs on Amazon:<br><br>"Conlon Nancarrow : Lost Works, Last Works" $16.99<br><br>  <br>"Piano Music by Nancarrow and Antheil" $17.98<br><br>Next post: George Antheil (1900-1959).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 6:46 am 

Mr. Canadian, are you there?<br>I received Conlon Nancarrow : Lost Works, Last Works from Amazon. It's on Other Minds label.<br>Track list:<br>1 Prelude for Piano (1935)<br>2 Blues for Piano (1935)<br>3-5 Sonatina for Piano (1941)<br>6-7 String Quartet No. 1 (1945)<br>8 Piece for Tape (undated)<br>9 Study No. 30 for Prepared Piano (undated)<br>10 Para Yoko (1990)<br>11 Study No. 50 (ca. 1991)<br>12 Study No. 51 ("3750") (1992)<br>13 Contraption No. 1 (1993)<br>14-21 Conlon Nancarrow speaks with Charles Amirkhanian

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 7:40 am 

[quote author=Mr. Canadian link=board=general;num=1061084705;start=15#21 date=08/28/03 at 10:29:22]<br><br>I don't have that one because they don't sell his stuff in Canada anymore. How is it? Great stuff or ....<br>[/quote]<br><br>Very interesting interview. Excellent compositions, except "Piece for Tape", which is a boring excursion into musique concrète. The 2 first tunes are very very good.<br>BTW, you can buy it online on Amazon or on Otherminds.org

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 4:10 pm 

I'd like to find a FZ interview where he discusses Nancarrow's music. If someone could post a link, that would be nice  8)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 7:39 pm 

Mr. Canadian, are you there?<br><br>I received Piano Music, performed by pianist Herbert Henck (ECM). It features 3 Nancarrow pieces:<br><br>Three 2-part Studies<br>Prelude<br>Blues<br><br>The rest are George Antheil's compositions.<br><br>And it's very good, even though I prefer the piano player pieces on Wergo.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 5:37 pm 

[quote author=Arkay link=board=general;num=1061084705;start=15#24 date=09/08/03 at 10:25:58]<br><br>OK.  From what I was reading in the thread, I thought that maybe CN composed some stuff for ensemble.  From what yer saying, I guess that all the ensemble music is reproduction/interpretation of player piano music, correct?[/quote]<br><br>The disc "Studies" by Ensemble Modern, contains 10 of the Studies For Player Piano realized for chamber ensembles. The Studies were transcribed and arranged by Yvar Mikhashoff under the supervision of Nancarrow (see below).<br><br>In addition to these pieces, the disc also contains 5 pieces that Nancarrow composed FOR chamber ensembles:  Trio (for clarinet, bassoon, and piano), Piece No. 2 For Small Orchestra, Tango, Sarabande (for oboe, bassoon, and piano), and Scherzo (for xylophone, marimba, piano, and violin). <br><br>With regard to the player piano studies, I quote directly from the liner notes:  In conversations with Nancarrow, Mikhashoff learned that the composer had originally planned many of the earlier Studies with instruments in mind...later studies were conceived directly for the player piano. Nancarrow himself suggested the instrumentation for Study No. 3c and supported the project of arranging more of the series. Mikhashoff arranged the others, with the assistance of his editor Charles Schwobel and a MacIntosh computer. According to Mikhashoff, Nancarrow suggested these principles:  "Strong preference given to oboe, horn, and trumpet, and the other winds; general avoidance of prominent flute or strings soloistically; and an awareness of the instrumentation trying to preserve some of the attack properties of the player piano." <br>Mikashoff has revised some of the arrangements several times, usually after Nancarrow rejected the original versions. <br><br>I'd be happy to burn a copy of this fascinating and excellent disc for anyone who wants it. Just send me the ol' PM.<br><br>

>You don't.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:30 am 

I've just seen a Arditti String Quartet cd on amazon.com. It features compositions by Charles Ives (one of fz's favs!), Yim (???), Morton Feldman, and Conlon Nancarrow.<br>I ordered this cd. Nancarrow's music is so hard to find!