Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1482 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:01 pm 

Quote:
Delmak-O is a dangerous planet. Though there are only fourteen citizens, no one can trust anyone else and death can strike at any moment. The planet is vast and largely unexplored, populated mostly by gelatinous cube-shaped beings that give cryptic advice in the form of anagrams. Deities can be spoken to directly via a series of prayer amplifiers and transmitters, but they may not be happy about it. And the mysterious building in the distance draws all the colonists to it, but when they get there each sees a different motto on the front. The mystery of this structure and the secrets contained within drive this mind-bending novel.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:22 am 

^^^^^ sounds excellent ^^^^^

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:09 am 

Its pretty funny...something light hearted for a change :)

tons of references to songs and musicians from the 70's and 80's, i'm waiting for the zappa references.

year zero was the year aliens heard their first earthman song, the theme to Welcome Back Kotter, they went nuts over it...never heard anything like that (aliens cant write music). :)

Low-level entertainment lawyer Nick Carter thinks it’s a prank, not an alien encounter, when a redheaded mullah and a curvaceous nun show up at his office. But Frampton and Carly are highly advanced (if bumbling) extraterrestrials. The entire cosmos, they tell him, has been hopelessly hooked on American pop songs ever since “Year Zero” (1977 to us), resulting in the biggest copyright violation since the Big Bang and bankrupting the whole universe. Nick has just been tapped to clean up this mess before things get ugly. Thankfully, this unlikely galaxy-hopping hero does know a thing or two about copyright law. Now, with Carly and Frampton as his guides, Nick has forty-eight hours to save humanity—while hoping to wow the hot girl who lives down the hall from him.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:44 am 

It's a pretty good view of the midwest and the south so far.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:43 am 

"I am made out of water. You wouldn’t know it, because I have it bound in. My friends are made out of water, too. All of them. The problem for us is that not only do we have to walk around without being absorbed by the ground but we also have to earn our livings.
Actually there’s even a greater problem. We don’t feel at home anywhere we go. Why is that?"

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:57 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:40 am 

Oliver Sacks - Musicophilia

I should have read this book a looooooong time ago...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1482 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60