Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Documentaries
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:37 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:19 am
Posts: 15870
Location: misanthropia
I enjoyed:

the Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia
You're Gonna Miss Me
Bukowski: Born Into This
Hated
Vernon, Florida
the Devil and Daniel Johnston
911: In Plane Site
Spellbound
American Movie
Heavy Metal Parking Lot
Sick: the Life and Death of Bob Flanagan, Supermasochist
Another State of Mind
Crumb
Heckler
the Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill
Beyond the Mat
You See Me Laughin'
the King of Kongs
Tyson
Off the Charts
the Parking Lot Movie
Not Your Typical Bigfoot Movie

_________________
that's what happens when you don't read you loose your link to higher thinking


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Documentaries
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:30 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2002 12:41 pm
Posts: 17232
Location: Green Chevy, license number 650 BN
How Anonymous Hackers Changed the World (Full Documentary - 58 min.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAECyLvSCHg&t=2742s


Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Image

Aaron H. Swartz (November 8, 1986 – January 11, 2013) was an American computer programmer, writer, archivist, political organizer, and Internet activist.

Swartz was a member of the RSS-DEV Working Group that co-authored the "RSS 1.0" specification of RSS[2], and built the Web site framework web.py and the architecture for the Open Library. He also built Infogami, a company that merged with Reddit in its early days, through which he became an equal owner of the merged company.[i] Swartz also focused on sociology, civic awareness and activism. In 2010 he was a member of the Harvard University Center for Ethics. He cofounded the online group Demand Progress (known for its campaign against SOPA) and later worked with US and international activist groups Rootstrikers and Avaaz.

On January 6, 2011, Swartz was arrested in connection with systematic downloading of academic journal articles from JSTOR, which became the subject of a federal investigation.[3][4] Swartz disliked the fact that JSTOR charged to access articles but, rather than compensating the authors, JSTOR compensated publishers instead. JSTOR's fees limited access to works produced by America's colleges and universities.[5][6]

On January 11, 2013, Swartz was found dead in his Crown Heights, Brooklyn, apartment, where he had apparently hanged himself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_Swartz

The Story of Aaron Swartz Full Documentary
https://youtu.be/gpvcc9C8SbM

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Documentaries
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:30 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:19 am
Posts: 15870
Location: misanthropia
lapsed maps wrote:
I enjoyed:

the Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia
You're Gonna Miss Me
Bukowski: Born Into This
Hated
Vernon, Florida
the Devil and Daniel Johnston
911: In Plane Site
Spellbound
American Movie
Heavy Metal Parking Lot
Sick: the Life and Death of Bob Flanagan, Supermasochist
Another State of Mind
Crumb
Heckler
the Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill
Beyond the Mat
You See Me Laughin'
the King of Kongs
Tyson
Off the Charts
the Parking Lot Movie
Not Your Typical Bigfoot Movie


*adds that beach boys pet sounds documentary to the list*

_________________
that's what happens when you don't read you loose your link to higher thinking


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Documentaries
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:17 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:14 pm
Posts: 176
Location: Behind the tool shed
Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
How Anonymous Hackers Changed the World (Full Documentary - 58 min.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAECyLvSCHg&t=2742s


Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Image

Aaron H. Swartz (November 8, 1986 – January 11, 2013) was an American computer programmer, writer, archivist, political organizer, and Internet activist.

Swartz was a member of the RSS-DEV Working Group that co-authored the "RSS 1.0" specification of RSS[2], and built the Web site framework web.py and the architecture for the Open Library. He also built Infogami, a company that merged with Reddit in its early days, through which he became an equal owner of the merged company.[i] Swartz also focused on sociology, civic awareness and activism. In 2010 he was a member of the Harvard University Center for Ethics. He cofounded the online group Demand Progress (known for its campaign against SOPA) and later worked with US and international activist groups Rootstrikers and Avaaz.

On January 6, 2011, Swartz was arrested in connection with systematic downloading of academic journal articles from JSTOR, which became the subject of a federal investigation.[3][4] Swartz disliked the fact that JSTOR charged to access articles but, rather than compensating the authors, JSTOR compensated publishers instead. JSTOR's fees limited access to works produced by America's colleges and universities.[5][6]

On January 11, 2013, Swartz was found dead in his Crown Heights, Brooklyn, apartment, where he had apparently hanged himself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_Swartz

The Story of Aaron Swartz Full Documentary
https://youtu.be/gpvcc9C8SbM
sounds fishy, thanks fur da links

_________________
"we may be old, but we've seen all the cool bands"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Documentaries
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:20 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:14 pm
Posts: 176
Location: Behind the tool shed
lapsed maps wrote:
I enjoyed:

the Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia
You're Gonna Miss Me
Bukowski: Born Into This
Hated
Vernon, Florida
the Devil and Daniel Johnston
911: In Plane Site
Spellbound
American Movie
Heavy Metal Parking Lot
Sick: the Life and Death of Bob Flanagan, Supermasochist
Another State of Mind
Crumb
Heckler
the Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill
Beyond the Mat
You See Me Laughin'
the King of Kongs
Tyson
Off the Charts
the Parking Lot Movie
Not Your Typical Bigfoot Movie
if I was Daniel I'd have gone to the crossroad like Robbie, though I dig his music. Can't believe he threw the keys to the plane out the window...who does that? :shock:

_________________
"we may be old, but we've seen all the cool bands"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Documentaries
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:33 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:28 pm
Posts: 10236
The Ritchie Blackmore Story is pretty good.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Documentaries
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:55 pm
Posts: 5396
lapsed maps wrote:
lapsed maps wrote:
I enjoyed:

the Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia
You're Gonna Miss Me
Bukowski: Born Into This
Hated
Vernon, Florida
the Devil and Daniel Johnston
911: In Plane Site
Spellbound
American Movie
Heavy Metal Parking Lot
Sick: the Life and Death of Bob Flanagan, Supermasochist
Another State of Mind
Crumb
Heckler
the Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill
Beyond the Mat
You See Me Laughin'
the King of Kongs
Tyson
Off the Charts
the Parking Lot Movie
Not Your Typical Bigfoot Movie


*adds that beach boys pet sounds documentary to the list*

Have you seen Beautiful Dreamer, the story of the Beach Boys Smile? It's my favorite because it exposes the repression of Brian Wilson's art and also because Smile is the best Beach Boys album. The fact that Surf's Up, Cabin Essence etc were recorded in 1966(!), and that Smile had a booklet with all the lyrics and cool pictures, and that the Beatles visited during the Smile sessions and went on to release the first rock album to contain printed lyrics on the sleeve and containing music heavily influenced by what Brian W was doing, still blows my mind. Things would have been dramatically different if Smile came out in, say, Feb 1967. For the Beatles and everyone else.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Documentaries
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:56 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:41 pm
Posts: 16675
downer mydnyte wrote:
Have you seen Beautiful Dreamer, the story of the Beach Boys Smile? It's my favorite because it exposes the repression of Brian Wilson's art and also because Smile is the best Beach Boys album. The fact that Surf's Up, Cabin Essence etc were recorded in 1966(!), and that Smile had a booklet with all the lyrics and cool pictures, and that the Beatles visited during the Smile sessions and went on to release the first rock album to contain printed lyrics on the sleeve and containing music heavily influenced by what Brian W was doing, still blows my mind. Things would have been dramatically different if Smile came out in, say, Feb 1967. For the Beatles and everyone else.


Yes. Great documentary.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Documentaries
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:03 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:19 am
Posts: 7490
Location: in deepest, darkest Germany
downer mydnyte wrote:
Have you seen Beautiful Dreamer, the story of the Beach Boys Smile? It's my favorite because it exposes the repression of Brian Wilson's art and also because Smile is the best Beach Boys album. The fact that Surf's Up, Cabin Essence etc were recorded in 1966(!), and that Smile had a booklet with all the lyrics and cool pictures, and that the Beatles visited during the Smile sessions and went on to release the first rock album to contain printed lyrics on the sleeve and containing music heavily influenced by what Brian W was doing, still blows my mind. Things would have been dramatically different if Smile came out in, say, Feb 1967. For the Beatles and everyone else.


I agree with every single word of the above.

Some of my favourite documentaries...
"Derailroaded" - always makes me cry when his Aunt is dying and she comforts Larry. The link is only to a trailer, but you've all seen it, anyway.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWQpmCjW1yM

"My Best Fiend" - documentary by Werner Herzog on Klaus Kinski. One learns a lot about both the seriously weird Herzog and the utterly mad Kinski. ("Grizzly Man", also by Herzog, is great, too!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn3hS8CLyvQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oq4vinsWIUw

"The Light Bulb Conspiracy" - very enlightening (ho ho) on how built-in obsolescence works in capitalism.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKLip7Q_Y0s

"Atomic Cafe" - what not to do in the case of Atomic attack.
https://vimeo.com/196078029

_________________
"I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Documentaries
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:55 pm
Posts: 5396
^ I've watched and enjoyed 3 of those. Klaus Kinski is always interesting. I have not seen Derailroaded. Thanks for getting it back on my radar.

Caputh wrote:
"The Light Bulb Conspiracy"

In the book Gravity's Rainbow there are sentient lightbulbs who share a similar story with other bulbs along the grid.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Documentaries
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:28 pm
Posts: 10236
Another good somewhat Zappa related doc is Monster Road which is about Bruce Bickford who, of course, did all that claymation for Zappa's projects (Baby Snakes, etc.). It's at least 10 years old by now and possibly oop but worth it if you can find it somewhere. FZ is only mentioned maybe once as it's not about that relationship but rather his relationship with his aging father (who died shortly after the completion of the movie), his family history, and his story including his continuing struggle to do his art.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Documentaries
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:36 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:19 am
Posts: 15870
Location: misanthropia
lapsed maps wrote:
I enjoyed:


Image &

Image

_________________
that's what happens when you don't read you loose your link to higher thinking


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Documentaries
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:01 am
Posts: 1895
Location: Bordeaux, France
Image

_________________
"Welcome to the Frank Zappa Memorial Country Club & BBQ" at wgt.com 75 members and counting.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Documentaries
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2002 12:41 pm
Posts: 17232
Location: Green Chevy, license number 650 BN
Image

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group