Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:34 pm 

our big prize tonite is fifty american dollars: 1st person to name the song & show[/quote]

It's Panty Rap or could be the beginning of King Kong, early 1980's (from the Tinsel Town tour). I guess it could also be the intro to Lucille. As to the show, who the hell knows - it would take a lot of research which I am not motivated to do at this juncture.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:40 pm 

zappagirl wrote:
...It's Panty Rap or could be the beginning of King Kong, early 1980's (from the Tinsel Town tour). I guess it could also be the intro to Lucille. As to the show, who the hell knows...
. . . . . .ice pick in the forehead

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:43 pm 

zappagirl wrote:
--Bat :wink:

Nice, I can definitely take it so I belive I deserve the award! Bring it on!! :shock:[/quote]Not so fast you silly girl there's something I gotta say......
--you gotta earn it!

--Bat :mrgreen:[/quote]

OK, just tell me what I gotta do...... :twisted:[/quote]You seem to be up to the task just relying on your own instincts, zappagirl. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:45 pm 

Batchain1001 wrote:
zappagirl wrote:

Nice, I can definitely take it so I belive I deserve the award! Bring it on!! :shock:
Not so fast you silly girl there's something I gotta say......
--you gotta earn it!

--Bat :mrgreen:[/quote]

OK, just tell me what I gotta do...... :twisted:[/quote]You seem to be up to the task just relying on your own instincts, zappagirl. 8)[/quote]

My instincts usually steer me in the right direction....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:48 pm 

The Black Page Part 2 wrote:
Zappagirl > Batcahin.

Seriously, Batchain, Exile is a tremendous rock and roll album. You cannot get around that. If you are like a Prog-rock snob or something and do not like rock and roll, I guess I could understand.

That aside, you are delusional.

Nothin' personal, of course. :wink:
Naaawww, nothing personal on my part, Black Page Part 2, you fucking bloody tampon devouring urinal licker. Not personal at all! :mrgreen:

It ("Exile") could have been a passably good R & R album as a single LP but as a higher-priced double LP they had to include the fun pictures and the kid's cereal box-type photo cards along with the packaging. Part of side one and part of side two were just really good R 'n 'R songs. It's mostly whatever the hell that filler was on the other two sides, 3 and 4, really was that I don't get.
Now, Sticky Fingers was a great Stones album unless you, like I, wondered, "Why the fuck did they screw up a really good song like, "Can't you hear me Knockin'" with that "and now for something completely different" failed jam bit rather than finish it? It should have stayed the same song and ended without that thing tacked onto it. Maybe they could've held off on that, worked on it some more and had a good cut to put on side 3 or 4 of "Exile"? I even have a boot CD with a better version of "Family" on it than the one they -- or maybe Andrew Loog Oldham put on "Metamorphosis" to close out their US London/British Decca contract. (He was such a spiteful prick with that thing!) Even a legit appearance of "Cocksucker Blues" would have been better for "Exile" even though it would've been a little extreme for the times.

--Bat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:55 pm 

zappagirl wrote:
Batchain1001 wrote:
zappagirl wrote:

Nice, I can definitely take it so I belive I deserve the award! Bring it on!! :shock:
Not so fast you silly girl there's something I gotta say......
--you gotta earn it!

--Bat :mrgreen:

OK, just tell me what I gotta do...... :twisted:[/quote]You seem to be up to the task just relying on your own instincts, zappagirl. 8)[/quote]

My instincts usually steer me in the right direction....[/quote]Very encouraging to hear, zappagirl! A Battie Award awaits you if that's true and I've no doubt it is! 8)

--Bat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:32 pm 

Quote:

OK, just tell me what I gotta do...... :twisted:
You seem to be up to the task just relying on your own instincts, zappagirl. 8)[/quote]

My instincts usually steer me in the right direction....[/quote]Very encouraging to hear, zappagirl! A Battie Award awaits you if that's true and I've no doubt it is! 8)

--Bat[/quote]

Oh, it's very true. What do I get??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:58 pm 

I know I shouldn't keep watching this......but I can't look away!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:12 pm 

It's like a bad car wreck in reverse :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:48 pm 

zappagirl wrote:
Quote:

OK, just tell me what I gotta do...... :twisted:
You seem to be up to the task just relying on your own instincts, zappagirl. 8)

--Bat[/quote]

zappagirl wrote:
The Battie Award! Once you've earned it. I haven't even gotten the main ingredient picked out yet from the storage bins. With these it's also a matter of squeezing it and giving it a taste test! :mrgreen:

--Bat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:38 pm 

--Bat[/quote]

zappagirl wrote:
The Battie Award! Once you've earned it. I haven't even gotten the main ingredient picked out yet from the storage bins. With these it's also a matter of squeezing it and giving it a taste test! :mrgreen:

--Bat[/quote]

There is not 'main ingredient'?? I guess then I'm the first to earn the award?? I'm very honored, how can I ever show my apretiation??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:24 pm 

zappagirl wrote:
--Bat

zappagirl wrote:

--Bat[/quote]

There is not 'main ingredient'?? I guess then I'm the first to earn the award?? I'm very honored, how can I ever show my apretiation??[/quote]Hell no! Several have and there is a main ingredient and well, if you "win" it and really want to show me how much you appreciate it ... well, we'll find a way to work it out. :wink:

--Bat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:38 am 

Batchain1001 wrote:
"Why the fuck did they screw up a really good song like, "Can't you hear me Knockin'" with that "and now for something completely different" failed jam bit rather than finish it?

i totally disagree, i love that jam!

and i saw mick taylor play it live at dick heckstall-smith's tribute gig a couple of years ago (jack bruce, gary moore, colosseum also there that night).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:17 am 

timm0 wrote:
Batchain1001 wrote:
"Why the fuck did they screw up a really good song like, "Can't you hear me Knockin'" with that "and now for something completely different" failed jam bit rather than finish it?

and i saw mick taylor play it live at dick heckstall-smith's tribute gig a couple of years ago (jack bruce, gary moore, colosseum also there that night).

I agree with timm0 here. That end jam is well done and a nice unexpected touch to an already great song.

Post subject: Rolling Stones
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:44 am 
Banned

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:12 am 

Love the Stones. "Shine a Light" flick is cool too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:05 am 

I love the Stones. One of my all time favurite bands. Fan of the Jones and Taylor era, I don't like so much after Exile. After that, sound became to be awful to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:25 am 

feetlightup wrote:
timm0 wrote:
Batchain1001 wrote:

I agree with timm0 here. That end jam is well done and a nice unexpected touch to an already great song.

If I was forced to pick a favorite Stones song, it would probably have to be "Can't you hear me knockin".

About that jam at the end: The Stones approach to recording is to try to capture it as live sounding as possible with everybody playing together in real time. They would often record dozens of takes of a song over a period of days and then weed through them later and pick the best one and go from there. It just worked out that they spontaneously broke into that jam after one of the takes without knowing the tape was still rolling. 8) (Keith told the story in some guitar magazine I read.)

"Gimme Shelter" is another great example of capturing a magic moment. It has a vibe that got printed on tape that could never be repeated exactly that way again.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:45 am 

NEW TOUR! ZIP CODE – 15-CITY NORTH AMERICAN STADIUM TOUR

May 24, 2015 San Diego, CA Petco Park

May 30, 2015 Columbus, OH Ohio Stadium

June 3, 2015 Minneapolis, MN TCF Bank Stadium

June 6, 2015 Dallas, TX AT&T Stadium

June 9, 2015 Atlanta, GA Bobby Dodd Stadium

June 12, 2015 Orlando, FL Orlando Citrus Bowl

June 17, 2015 Nashville, TN LP Field

June 20, 2015 Pittsburgh, PA Heinz Field

June 23, 2015 Milwaukee, WI Summerfest / Marcus Amphitheater

June 27, 2015 Kansas City, MO Arrowhead Stadium

July 1, 2015 Raleigh, NC Carter-Finley Stadium

July 4, 2015 Indianapolis, IN Indianapolis Motor Speedway

July 8, 2015 Detroit, MI Comerica Park

July 11, 2015 Buffalo, NY Ralph Wilson Stadium

July 15, 2015 Quebec, QC Le Festival D’Été de Québec*

*wristbands will go on sale at 12pm local on Saturday, April 11

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:13 am 

Rupert Murdoch and Jerry Hall announce engagement

Pat Bagley

Media mogul Rupert Murdoch and actress-model Jerry Hall are to get married.

They announced their engagement in the births, marriages and deaths section of the Times newspaper, which is owned by Mr Murdoch's News Corporation company.

It will be the fourth marriage for Mr Murdoch, 84, and the first for Miss Hall, 59, although she lived with singer Sir Mick Jagger for many years.

The new relationship reportedly began in the summer. A spokesman said: "They have loved these past months together."

They were "thrilled to be getting married and excited about their future", he added.

Australian-born Mr Murdoch, who now has US nationality, split up with his third wife Wendi Deng in 2013.

American Miss Hall's 23-year relationship with Rolling Stones frontman Jagger, with whom she had four children, ended in 1999.

Mr Murdoch and Miss Hall were first spotted together in public in October at the Rugby World Cup final in London between Australia and New Zealand.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:06 am 

Rolling Stones make history with free concert in Cuba

(CNN) - It may have only been rock 'n' roll -- but Cubans seemed to like it.

On Friday, the Rolling Stones became the first major international rock band to play in Cuba, drawing hundreds of thousands of people to a free concert at a decrepit sports complex on the road to the airport.

For years, following the Cuban revolution, rock music was banned on Cuban state TV and radio. Cubans who wore long hair and beards faced harassment from officials, including Fidel Castro who told them to dress like men.

No more.

"Years ago it was difficult to hear our music but here we are," Rolling Stones frontman Mick Jagger told the crowd in Spanish. "The times are changing."

"Havana, Cuba and the Rolling Stones: it's amazing," added legendary Stones guitarist Keith Richards.

The concert was the result of months of rock 'n' roll diplomacy conducted after the United States and Cuba announced in 2014 that they would repair decades of broken relations.

"It feels historic," Jagger said after arriving to Cuba.

As most Cubans only earn a paltry $20 a month, there was no charge to see the show.

Perhaps aware that many of the Cubans attending had not heard much of the band's music, the Stones played many of their most familiar classics like "Paint it Black," "Sympathy for the Devil" and "Brown Sugar."

They were joined by a Cuban choir to sing "You Can't Always Get What You Want."

While concerts in Cuba are usually bare bones affairs, the Stones mounted a stage that glowed against the night sky like a giant juke box, with towering video screens and a blasting sound system.

Celebrities such as singer Jimmy Buffett, model Naomi Campbell and actor Richard Gere hang around the VIP section.

Instead of blowing up balloons, a rarity in Cuba, the crowd inflated condoms that they then bounced up into the air.

Cuban police and soldiers walked around the concert but it was marked by a mostly joyous atmosphere.

Cell service was out during the entire two-hour show.

Cuban officials have accused the U.S. of spamming concertgoers who attended the 2009 Juanes concert in Havana with anti-Castro text messages.

The Rolling Stones arrived the same week U.S. President Barack Obama made a historic visit to Cuba, promising to end decades of mistrust and hostility between the two countries.

"I never would have guessed both things would have happened the same week," said Ernesto Estevez, an English teacher who lives across the street from the sprawling field where the Stones staged the concert.

"But it has happened," he said. "Which means anything can happen."

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:11 am 

can't we just let them gather moss?

yeeeesh.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:10 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:02 am 

RIP - Charlie Watts

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:19 pm 

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next