Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:21 pm 

zappagirl wrote:
Batchain1001 wrote:
Bobby wrote:
To me the Stones ended when Mick Taylor left...They were great with Brian Jones and Mick Taylor continued the great run...since then the only thing that they did, that I like was Some Girls. Hey even Bill Wyman knew it was over years ago.

I think that if both Mick and Keith had successful solo careers that they dabbled in about 20 years ago - the Stones would have been history.
After Mick Taylor was gone they had two rhythm guitarists and no lead guitarist along with the distinction of having put out the shittiest album in R 'n R history: "Exile On Main Street" -- the one that Rolling Stone Ragazine still holds in the highest esteem.

Somehow they did grind out Some Girls to redeem themselves but not a single thing since! However, they do have brand recognition (not unlike Pink Floyd in the same way by now) and that guarantees a very positive cash flow they're not going to give up.

--Bat

To say that Exile is "the shittiest album in R & R history" is just plain ignorant.
You've made an entirely valid point, zappagirl. There are definitely far, far shittier albums in R 'n R history, too numerous to begin to count. But being just plain ignorant must also include putting out shitty albums like, "Exile On Main Street". :roll:

--Bat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:26 pm 

Batchain1001 wrote:
zappagirl wrote:
Batchain1001 wrote:
Bobby wrote:
To me the Stones ended when Mick Taylor left...They were great with Brian Jones and Mick Taylor continued the great run...since then the only thing that they did, that I like was Some Girls. Hey even Bill Wyman knew it was over years ago.

I think that if both Mick and Keith had successful solo careers that they dabbled in about 20 years ago - the Stones would have been history.
After Mick Taylor was gone they had two rhythm guitarists and no lead guitarist along with the distinction of having put out the shittiest album in R 'n R history: "Exile On Main Street" -- the one that Rolling Stone Ragazine still holds in the highest esteem.

Somehow they did grind out Some Girls to redeem themselves but not a single thing since! However, they do have brand recognition (not unlike Pink Floyd in the same way by now) and that guarantees a very positive cash flow they're not going to give up.

--Bat

To say that Exile is "the shittiest album in R & R history" is just plain ignorant.
You've made an entirely valid point, zappagirl. There are definitely far, far shittier albums in R 'n R history, too numerous to begin to count. But being just plain ignorant must also include putting out shitty albums like, "Exile On Main Street". :roll:

--Bat

I have always believed 'to each his own' when it comes to musical tastes but to say that Exile is a shitty album is just ridiculous. Have you ever even listened to it??? Anyone that thinks Exile is a 'shitty album' is a human turd. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:49 pm 

zappagirl wrote:
Batchain1001 wrote:
zappagirl wrote:
Batchain1001 wrote:
Bobby wrote:

--Bat

--Bat

I have always believed 'to each his own' when it comes to musical tastes but to say that Exile is a shitty album is just ridiculous. Have you ever even listened to it??? Anyone that thinks Exile is a 'shitty album' is a human turd. :wink:
Hah! Yes I have heard it still have it somewhere. But, dear Zappagirl, I corrected my overstatement -- have you or will you yours? Or do you stink to higher heights than I in all my human turdishness could ever possibly stink? :wink:

--Bat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:49 pm 

zappagirl wrote:

If that's the case, then calling it "shitty" might be a term of endearment. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:01 pm 

Batchain1001 wrote:
zappagirl wrote:
Batchain1001 wrote:
zappagirl wrote:
Batchain1001 wrote:
Bobby wrote:

--Bat

--Bat

Hah! Yes I have heard it still have it somewhere. But, dear Zappagirl, I corrected my overstatement -- have you or will you yours? Or do you stink to higher heights than I in all my human turdishness could ever possibly stink? :wink:

--Bat

Uh, yeah.....OK.....can we be friends now? I'm always up for a little competition and you were just too tempting not to respond to. If you don't like Exile, whatever, I still think you're a human turd but I don't really care to smell you. But I like you anyway. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:24 pm 

zappagirl wrote:
Batchain1001 wrote:
zappagirl wrote:
Batchain1001 wrote:
zappagirl wrote:
Batchain1001 wrote:
Bobby wrote:

--Bat

--Bat

--Bat

Uh, yeah.....OK.....can we be friends now? I'm always up for a little competition and you were just too tempting not to respond to. If you don't like Exile, whatever, I still think you're a human turd but I don't really care to smell you. But I like you anyway. :lol:
Why of course we can be friends now! Bad odors are just a part of life, you know that by now. It's even way too soon to put you in the running for a Battie Award! LOL! :lol:

--Bat :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:29 pm 

Batchain1001 wrote:
zappagirl wrote:
Batchain1001 wrote:
zappagirl wrote:
Batchain1001 wrote:
zappagirl wrote:
Batchain1001 wrote:
Bobby wrote:

--Bat

--Bat

--Bat

Why of course we can be friends now! Bad odors are just a part of life, you know that by now. It's even way too soon to put you in the running for a Battie Award! LOL! :lol:

Yes, I know that bad odors are a part of life......I live in Hollywood and I've spent many years in Philadelphia and New York!! I'm glad we are fast friends, that makes me very happy. I hope I win the Battie Award some day....it's what I am striving for now!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:16 pm 

&
zappagirl wrote:
Batchain1001 wrote:
zappagirl wrote:
Batchain1001 wrote:
zappagirl wrote:
Batchain1001 wrote:
zappagirl wrote:
Batchain1001 wrote:
Bobby wrote:

--Bat

To say that Exile is "the shittiest album in R ; R history" is just plain ignorant.

--Bat

--Bat

Yes, I know that bad odors are a part of life......I live in Hollywood and I've spent many years in Philadelphia and New York!! I'm glad we are fast friends, that makes me very happy. I hope I win the Battie Award some day....it's what I am striving for now!
Oh, you could easily get into the running. Not just anyone does, y'understand. But anyone willing to take that kind of shit from me knows to display it proudly and revel in its honor despite how they may feel merely obligated to respond to it in the open public forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:34 pm 

Batchain1001 wrote:
&
zappagirl wrote:
Batchain1001 wrote:
zappagirl wrote:
Batchain1001 wrote:
zappagirl wrote:
Batchain1001 wrote:
zappagirl wrote:
Batchain1001 wrote:
Bobby wrote:

--Bat

To say that Exile is "the shittiest album in R ; R history" is just plain ignorant.

--Bat

--Bat

Oh, you could easily get into the running. Not just anyone does, y'understand. But anyone willing to take that kind of shit from me knows to display it proudly and revel in its honor despite how they may feel merely obligated to respond to it in the open public forum.

Nice, I can definitely take it so I belive I deserve the award! Bring it on!! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:55 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:58 am 

zappagirl wrote:
Batchain1001 wrote:
&
zappagirl wrote:
Batchain1001 wrote:
zappagirl wrote:
Batchain1001 wrote:
zappagirl wrote:
Batchain1001 wrote:
zappagirl wrote:
Batchain1001 wrote:
Bobby wrote:

--Bat

--Bat

--Bat

Nice, I can definitely take it so I belive I deserve the award! Bring it on!! :shock:
Not so fast you silly girl there's something I gotta say......
--you gotta earn it!

--Bat :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:20 am 

Just a word of caution: do NOT take the Battie Award lightly. It is not for the faint of heart. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:56 am 

feetlightup wrote:
Just a word of caution: do NOT take the Battie Award lightly. It is not for the faint of heart. :wink:

Yes...I'd hate for zappagirl to hurt her neck even more, when she jumps back from the monitor screen!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:07 am 

My favorite Stones period is Between the Buttons through to Goat's Head Soup. The later 70's stuff doesn't do much for me, there's a few good songs here and there, I like most of Some Girls, ER and Tattoo You I really like, it's the last one where they weren't totally phoning it in.

If the Stones do break up, they should get into boxed sets and archive releases.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:49 am 

Zappagirl > Batcahin.

Seriously, Batchain, Exile is a tremendous rock and roll album. You cannot get around that. If you are like a Prog-rock snob or something and do not like rock and roll, I guess I could understand.

That aside, you are delusional.

Nothin' personal, of course. :wink:

Post subject: Time Machine
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:18 am 
Banned

BillyDaMt wrote:
They are well past relevant at this stage.
I wouldn't pay their bloated ticket prices to see them play now.
Maybe if I could get into a time machine and go back to see a show from 1968-73. But not for Rolling Stones circa 2007.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:44 am 

--Bat :wink:[/quote]

Nice, I can definitely take it so I belive I deserve the award! Bring it on!! :shock:[/quote]Not so fast you silly girl there's something I gotta say......
--you gotta earn it!

--Bat :mrgreen:[/quote]

OK, just tell me what I gotta do...... :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:45 am 

--Bat :wink:[/quote]

Nice, I can definitely take it so I belive I deserve the award! Bring it on!! :shock:[/quote]Not so fast you silly girl there's something I gotta say......
--you gotta earn it!

--Bat :mrgreen:[/quote]

OK, just tell me what I gotta do...... :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:35 pm 

The Black Page Part 2 wrote:
Exile is a tremendous rock and roll album. You cannot get around that.

I would say it's a good album but not as good as some people make out. I didn't think much of it initially, but now I like its scope and ramshackle feel, but think it has 4/5 songs that don't really make it for me. The last few songs don't really work for me, I remember one of them even reminded me of Chas n Dave, i don't know why exactly, haha!

I much prefer Sticky Fingers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:36 pm 

timm0 wrote:

I would say it's a good album but not as good as some people make out. I didn't think much of it initially, but now I like its scope and ramshackle feel, but think it has 4/5 songs that don't really make it for me. The last few songs don't really work for me, I remember one of them even reminded me of Chas n Dave, i don't know why exactly, haha!

Name them! Somehow I'll prove that you are wrong and you should like them.

Or you are a communist.

Who beats ups girls.

In wheelchairs.

Coming from Church on Sunday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:27 pm 

timm0 wrote:

Name them! Somehow I'll prove that you are wrong and you should like them.

Or you are a communist.

Who beats ups girls.

In wheelchairs.

Coming from Church on Sunday.

What's wrong with beating up girls in wheelchairs???
didn't you once say "to each his own..."?

:wink:

All right, as soon as I get my stereo hooked up again (we moved recently), the first thing I play on my turntable will be Exile, start-to-finish. Then I'll be able to judge it properly. Is it ok if I have a few beers too?

Edit: I did the same thing with The Clash's "Sandinista" - locked myself in a room with a six-pack and listened to the whole thing. And I love it now. Damn multi-disc albums...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:53 pm 

Yeah That Exile Lp

IT DA SHIT :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:08 pm 

'exile on main st.' is great.

you suck, batchain. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:47 pm 

Lumpy Gravy wrote:
'exile on main st.' is great.

you suck, batchain. :wink:

Thank you. I like you very much :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:11 pm 

a.k.a. no blowjobs

our big prize tonite is fifty american dollars: 1st person to name the song & show

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next