Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 4:55 pm 

I can imagine Zappa being impressed by the quality of Rush's musicianship and creativity as he seemed to have interest in real talent and was sometimes pushing his own musical exploration in similar areas as Rush ventured to go, I wonder if their paths ever crossed?.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 9:16 am 

Why didn't fellow Canadian Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush drop the Rush from their name?,I just found out that he toured in the U.K. last november.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 5:58 am 

The best Rush albums of all time are:<br>1.) Carress of Steel<br>2.) 2112<br>3.) Hemispheres<br>4.) A farewell to Kings<br>5.) Permanent Waves<br><br>There brand of think music has inspired me since my first listen ;D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 7:36 am 

The new Different Stages Live Box set is worth a listen. It has three CD's including a live CD from the Permanent Waves tour.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 3:37 am 

i love rush.....neil peart has the best attack on a drumkit i think i've ever seen or heard, i wouldn't put them in the same league as Fz but they are very fuckin' cool. i was brought up on them...my dad was a 'rush' head and we both went to see them in glasgow on the 'roll the bones' tour....it's just a pity they never seem to get over here!! i read that there was no promoters willing to take them over!?(is this true?) cretins  :o<br>They're not everybodys cup of tea but i love them cos they are unique and they're honest about the music they play!<br>

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 3:18 pm 

After reading this thread I bought 'The Spirit of Radio' CD and .... it's great! I already had 'A show of hands' back home in the UK but hadn't listened to it much. Before coming to this forum I had really only heard of Rush in two places:<br><br>1)The film 'Orgazmo' where the guy says "Geddy Lee - best bassist in the world, man!"<br><br>2)Shady Lane by Pavement "What about Geddy Lee?/How did he sing so high?/Does he talk like an ordinary guy?/Well I've met him, and he does".<br><br>Listening to 'Limelight' as I type this. Rush rock, but they're not doing my hangover any good!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 12:04 am 

[quote author=Disco Boy link=board=general;num=1042185079;start=15#21 date=02/27/03 at 17:41:56]<br><br>It's true. I hate to tell you this but Rush had already lined up dates for a tour last month in Europe but no promoters were giving them any kind of decent offers whatsoever. The good news is that Geddy recently said that if there is a next tour, they will definitely make Europe a priority.....<br><br>As I'm writing this, on the local news, they are showing a clip of Rush's show here in town last September and I think I can see my right hand in the air!  :D They're showing a quick clip of them because Rush will be inducted into the Canadian Music Industry Hall Of Fame tonight in Toronto!!!!!!!! Congrats boys, you deserve it....<br>[/quote]<br><br>never! get outa here!  :-[ ahh well, hopefully they'll get eventually!? :-/ thanks for letting me know that disco boy...and how are you enjoying you new found fame? ;D ;)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 9:32 pm 

they played our high school a few times in '73 before the 1st rush came out... kinda mediocre after that

Last edited by slime.oofytv.set on Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 8:52 am 

yea, geddy lee used to live close by, so we'd see him occasionally at mac's milk; plenty of rush clones spawned in those days...

Last edited by slime.oofytv.set on Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 7:19 pm 

Back in '78 during the 'Hemispheres' tour, I was crossing the street to get to the venue and was struck by a city bus. Still a great show, though it hurt quite a bit raising my arm to hold up my lighter during "The Trees."